Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Played Terra Mystica for the first time and, uh. I like it but I don't think I managed to remember what all my possible actions and their consequences were until like the third turn. Pretty sure everyone felt like that.
Also, it seems like the game would be a lot better with 4 or even 5 players than the 3 we played with. I played the Nomads and after building a Stronghold in the second turn could spread pretty much uncontested. That probably wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been the first play for everyone, but still, there were a lot of open spaces to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Anecdote: I've played Tobago twice on Boardgamearena and I drat near fell asleep both times.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Played Terra Mystica for the first time and, uh. I like it but I don't think I managed to remember what all my possible actions and their consequences were until like the third turn. Pretty sure everyone felt like that.
Also, it seems like the game would be a lot better with 4 or even 5 players than the 3 we played with. I played the Nomads and after building a Stronghold in the second turn could spread pretty much uncontested. That probably wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been the first play for everyone, but still, there were a lot of open spaces to go to.

The first time I played Terra Mystica I played as the Nomads and was playing with three other experienced players. I built the Stronghold on Turn 2 and then totally dominated the game from there. I probably had 30+ more points than second place. I've played one other time as the Mermaids (I think?) but both times I managed to upgrade to Stronghold early and leverage the racial ability for huge gains and the win. Honestly, I didn't really care for the game. It felt like a standard Euro with added fiddy-bits and complexity for no added benefit in terms of fun or strategy. I feel like there are much better Euros out there that are easier to teach and more fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

You want a game strategy where you skip the last third?

Dying in Ragnarok is useful, but it's a drafting game; take away his quests and there's not a lot he can do. And if he keeps losing, you can keep upgrading, which limits his # of people on the board, points for winning battles, and amount of fury.

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree with you both, denying him the loki strategy (note we weren't playing with the gods expansion, so it was purely through upgrade cards) would have been the right approach. trouble is, I didn't get to see either of those cards - I'm 90% sure he picked them up as the first card in each draft, and possibly the valhalla quest too.

To be fair, he was the only person who had played before. I'm certainly not saying I think that strategy is overpowered - any strategy can be if the other players don't know how to counter it. It was just frustrating is all. I can't wait to play again.

Also, yesterday and today I played games of Sylla. It's an excellent roman themed auction game where each round has a bunch of auctions, and your auction resources each can be used in a certain overlapping subset of them. really interesting balance of saving/spending resources, and a little bit of semi-cooperative action in there too.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

No, that's not "serious" 18xxers, just 18xxers with a stick up their rear end about what a 'proper' 18xx is. Different tastes for different people (and yeah, not angry at you, just those loving idiots). The game is just as ruthless as other 18XX games, even though it has less market shenanigans.

Eh, I'm glad people point that out. One of the things that really soured me on Powergrid is that it's basically 100% snowball and I'd like to know that in advance when I try a new game. I'm definitely going into 46 with an open mind but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't like it as much as some people do.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

The first time I played Terra Mystica I played as the Nomads and was playing with three other experienced players. I built the Stronghold on Turn 2 and then totally dominated the game from there. I probably had 30+ more points than second place. I've played one other time as the Mermaids (I think?) but both times I managed to upgrade to Stronghold early and leverage the racial ability for huge gains and the win. Honestly, I didn't really care for the game. It felt like a standard Euro with added fiddy-bits and complexity for no added benefit in terms of fun or strategy. I feel like there are much better Euros out there that are easier to teach and more fun.

I felt that way too although I'm not a huge euro guy to begin with. Lots of resource conversion/currency exchange with a strong focus on efficiency and logistics in the "I'm going to do this to do this to do this" sense. I don't doubt it gets more interesting with repeated play but I didn't like it enough to bother.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like Terra Mystica but I honestly can not easily articulate why.

I just like Terra Mystica (for some reason).

Still, while I'd almost always be up for a game of it, I do not own it and don't Pam to - which says something.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Speaking of GMT, they're doing a reprint / I guess a rework of 1960: Making of the President this year.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-574-1960-the-making-of-the-president.aspx

Going to pre-order that as soon as I have the money to do so, because I have always wanted to play it and was disappointed at the current prices until I saw the reprint was coming!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malloreon posted:

Also, yesterday and today I played games of Sylla. It's an excellent roman themed auction game where each round has a bunch of auctions, and your auction resources each can be used in a certain overlapping subset of them. really interesting balance of saving/spending resources, and a little bit of semi-cooperative action in there too.

At last I find the other person who has played Sylla. Glad you liked it. Did you use the Decadence event, or the Really Decadent event?

Sylla does have a small problem, though, in that you get the same events every game - only the order changes. It really needs the expansion from the Ystari Box that adds two more.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Due to an (admittedly morbid) fascination with Phil Eklund's games, and the desire to see how this trainwreck works, I'm going to run a PbP of Neanderthal.

For those who don't know what the game is about, this is what should have been on the back of the box:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The meat of the game is essentially a bidding game where you gain control of women by auctions through the currency of your vocabulary. The women control societal advancement and thereby brain evolution so once you master them and find them husbands (unless you're slutty, gay or harem based) they enhance your tribe brain and free up your words to add chips into your brain which allows you to go tribal. At that point you can have enough knowledge to avoid internal genocide and can husbandry animals to make babies and hunt deer to extinction which will provide you with CONCEPTS and IDEAS which you can order into your tribal expansion patterns if this reads like timecube I'm sorry but this game is insane and amazing.

Caveat: I've read the rules twice and haven't played the game, so expect mistakes. To make up for it, here's Ringo Starr riding a dinosaur:

There are no dinosaurs in the game

Nique
May 18, 2006

My group plays a bunch of what I assume are medium weight euros, such as: Keyflower, Hansa Teutonica, Terra Mystica, Argent, Viticulture, FCM, Voyages of Marco Polo.

What would represent a good step up in weight, but still likely to appeal to a group that love/enjoy the above?

Edit: Heavier, but still playing around max of 2 hours would be ideal

Nique fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 7, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nique posted:

My group plays a bunch of what I assume are medium weight euros, such as: Keyflower, Hansa Teutonica, Terra Mystica, Argent, Viticulture, FCM, Voyages of Marco Polo.

What would represent a good step up in weight, but still likely to appeal to a group that love/enjoy the above?

Die Macher :getin:

Seriouspost: Arkwright or Roads & Boats but good luck getting a hold of either of them. There is a real dearth of good 'heavy' eurogames out there, the vast majority of stuff is at the weight you've already described.

Maybe 1830 or one of those games if you and your friends like mercilessly bankrupting each other?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish FFG would hurry up and announce an expansion for Runebound or Forbidden Stars. We've had a lot of Imperial Assault announcements (which I like as well) and although I do love Runebound we're really hankering for some more stuff to do.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Taear posted:

I wish FFG would hurry up and announce an expansion for Runebound or Forbidden Stars. We've had a lot of Imperial Assault announcements (which I like as well) and although I do love Runebound we're really hankering for some more stuff to do.

I concur. I demand Tyranids and necrons

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Nique posted:

Brass, Le Havre, Agricola.

Anything heavier starts ratcheting up the time. If you have 3-4 hours Mage Knight, Roads & Boats, Indonesia, Arkwright, and Die Macher are fantastic games. If you have three and only three players you should check out Three Kingdoms redux.

If you really want to jump off the deep end, there are the 18xx genre of games. Good starters can be found in 1889, 1846, or 18AL. 1889 and 18AL can be print and played, while 1846 can be p500ed from GMT games for $47. Other longer games that will be a real big step up in difficulty but you may be able to find at a FLGS include 1830, 1856, and 1870.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nique posted:

Dungeon Lords isn't too much heavier, but it is very cut-throat. It's not a full Euro though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Question on Cuba Libre's P500. Any idea when you actually have to pay for the order? It's meant to be Shipping in April but beyond the first receipt in December, my card hasn't been charged or anything. I haven't missed the boat somehow?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You'll get charged when they send it, if you are sure you signed up for the p500 don't worry, you won't miss the boat somehow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Die Macher :getin:

Seriouspost: Arkwright or Roads & Boats but good luck getting a hold of either of them.

BoardGameGuru still have Roads & Boats in stock, I think. They did last week, and I didn't buy the only copy.

Arkwright is getting a revised reprint this year. The revision is apparently a third game mode between the two existing modes in complexity, so it's more an upgraded edition.

Indonesia has also been mentioned as a step up from that cluster and is also being reprinted this year.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

UK Goons: are you going to the UK games expo? I'm doing some xwing tourneys there and I believe thespaceinvader is going as well, wondering if any other goons would be there?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Tyranids totally wouldn't work in Forbidden Stars because of the goals of the game. They'd have to be like an NPC faction that eats planets.
Necrons would though. It's a shame there's no way to see the sales figures for games. I mean if Runebound or Forbidden Stars sold badly I could see why they'd be concentrating on other games!

And Tekopo - I'm going to it!

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 7, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mojo Jojo posted:

you'd get tau and ig

Nique
May 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

UK Goons: are you going to the UK games expo? I'm doing some xwing tourneys there and I believe thespaceinvader is going as well, wondering if any other goons would be there?

Wasn't even aware this existed until now, but the NEC is super convenient for me so i'm totally in. Probably just saturday + sunday though.

Played Taj Mahal for the first time this weekend, I enjoyed it but it felt so chaotic. I don't see how you can really implement a strategy (especially in terms of networks). 5 player game, though - i imagine it's a little easier with 3 or 4?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Archenteron posted:

you'd get tau and ig

I don't think IG because it might seem a bit weird to have them fighting space marines. And Chaos Space Marines really. Unless they were "corrupted guard" or something.
Tau and Necrons both work.

That said with Forbidden Stars I find it interesting that the different factions are specifically subsets of those factions. So Ultramarines, World Eaters, etc. Maybe they'll make Imperial Fists, Death Guard, etc. Then say "There can only be one Marine player" "Only one Eldar player".
That'd work and give them LOADS of stuff they can add in the future.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Taear posted:

Tyranids totally wouldn't work in Forbidden Stars because of the goals of the game. They'd have to be like an NPC faction that eats planets.
Necrons would though. It's a shame there's no way to see the sales figures for games. I mean if Runebound or Forbidden Stars sold badly I could see why they'd be concentrating on other games!

And Tekopo - I'm going to it!

Tyranids would work just fine with objectives as written. Those are just the most delicious planets. Or you could tweak them so they need to spread infestations rather than target specific planets. Etc etc there are lots of obvious ways to include them in both mechanically interesting and thematically appropriate manners

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Tyranids would work just fine with objectives as written. Those are just the most delicious planets. Or you could tweak them so they need to spread infestations rather than target specific planets. Etc etc there are lots of obvious ways to include them in both mechanically interesting and thematically appropriate manners

Tyranids just straight up eat planets and move as a huge lump when they're doing it. Like a wave. The sort of small targetted fighting you get in FS doesn't really fit for them.
You could do Genestealer Cults? They work. But Tyranids really just don't. They're not fighting over specific stuff then abandoning it, they're travelling through our galaxy eating poo poo as they go along to keep themselves going.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Taear posted:

I don't think IG because it might seem a bit weird to have them fighting space marines. And Chaos Space Marines really. Unless they were "corrupted guard" or something.

Imperial Guard and Space Marines fight all the time. That's what " there is only war" means.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nique posted:

I think a Vital would be right in your wheelhouse. The Gallerist or Kanban would be my recommendation and people really like Vinhos and it's getting a deluxe reprint right now.

e: Dominant Species too, but that would probably violate your time restriction. Although if you're getting in Argent...

Imperial 2030 isn't heavier per se but I think your group would appreciate it and it's something very different.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 7, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

Imperial Guard and Space Marines fight all the time. That's what " there is only war" means.

No they don't. Space marines purge the guard when they've seen chaos and other stuff, but they're not just fighting for no reason. They're all part of the Imperium after all!

In other news I played Runewars for the first time over the weekend. It's a slightly older FFG wargame set in the Runebound world. Although it was fun the rulebook is absolute trash and even after playing and constantly looking stuff up we're still not certain how all the stuff ACTUALLY works. Dragon runes especially, it's never clear if you can stack them up in a space.
I still am not a fan of the learn to play/reference book thing but man I'd love a reference book to just look up rules.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 7, 2016

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nique posted:

Played Taj Mahal for the first time this weekend, I enjoyed it but it felt so chaotic. I don't see how you can really implement a strategy (especially in terms of networks). 5 player game, though - i imagine it's a little easier with 3 or 4?
In general for Taj Mahal correct bidding evaluation is the most important thing.
Bidding wars are almost always mutually assured destruction.
Scoring one thing in a bunch of rounds is almost always better than scoring a bunch of things in one round.
Elephants are stronger than people on average.
For network building try to see ahead where there is a way to build up for several connecting provinces or way to build to avoid the cluster and score cheaply while others save up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

As noted, yes, I'm going over, but I'm liable to be slingin' wangs all three days. I hope to get some time to actually attend the con (I might even do a costume if I've time between now and then to make it) but the x-winging is going to take up most of the time I think.

I'm probably going to drive or get the train, it's only about an hour either way from here, and the hotels locally are stupendously expensive.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Good thing the 40k lore is barely consistent even when GW writes it, so they could just pull a Conquest and say "whatever" when it comes to who can face who.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Azran posted:

Good thing the 40k lore is barely consistent even when GW writes it, so they could just pull a Conquest and say "whatever" when it comes to who can face who.

Yea, it also doesn't make much sense in Conquest either. I'd say for the most part who fights who is consistent even if it's kinda silly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Literally the entire point of 40K lore is to give every army an excuse to fight every other army, including themselves

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
yeah I'd rather have a game that is good to play with interesting decisions than adhere to gw's terrible fiction

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Banana Man posted:

yeah I'd rather have a game that is good to play with interesting decisions than adhere to gw's terrible fiction

You are not Games Workshops target audience.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Banana Man posted:

I'm okay with adding Tau and Necrons instead of spoiling the theme. Even if the theme isn't great, it definitely fits more and would work.

Again though it does depend on them actually making an expansion. It's been a long time now, I guess maybe it just didn't sell well enough.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm okay with adding Tau and Necrons instead of spoiling the theme. Even if the theme isn't great, it definitely fits more and would work.

Again though it does depend on them actually making an expansion. It's been a long time now, I guess maybe it just didn't sell well enough.

They might be developing a standalone of for more factions that can be mixed with the previous one. Who knows, honestly. :iiam:

Tau, Necron, 'Nid, and maybe Dark Eldar for the likely next four

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The real question is skaven for diskwars when?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

The real question is skaven for diskwars when?

I'm pretty sure Diskwars is over because they discontinued the campaign support for it a few months ago.

And seriously, again, Tyranids would be dumb as hell without them having a standalone expansion with loads of different rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Warhammer Diskwars is actually good then?
I liked the original Diskwars as a kid, although it was never even close to balanced.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I don't know, there wasn't that one really cool mechanic that absolutely drew me in - the back-and-forth terraforming wars I had sort of hoped for definitely didn't happen - but the interlocking parts were interesting once I knew what everything did. I don't love everything about it but I want to play more of it, just ideally with more players.