Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

oh jay posted:

The compounding power quirk is a part of OFA, not an extra quirk.

Just like how Todoroki has one quirk that does two things, not two quirks.

Sorry, I meant the original users quirk that allowed him to pass down quirks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

These extra quirks will act as a shield when the LoV starts trying to shoot Deku with thr quirk destroying bullets.

It would be pretty funny if like, half of his new quirks were completely useless.

"My quirk allows you to shed all your skin"
"Why would I ever want to do that!?"
"I dunno, enjoy!"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It feels like I'm reading the thread back when Eri's quirk was revealed and everyone was convinced the manga was ruined and consequences were void henceforth.

Like, yeah if you want to project a worst case scenario you're welcome to, but Horikoshi has displayed that he's quite capable of handling tropes fairly well and "surprise new abilities" is about the most Shounen of all tropes.

I'm not worried about it.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Rhonne posted:

These extra quirks will act as a shield when the LoV starts trying to shoot Deku with thr quirk destroying bullets.

It would be pretty funny if like, half of his new quirks were completely useless.

"My quirk allows you to shed all your skin"
"Why would I ever want to do that!?"
"I dunno, enjoy!"

Combine it with regular OfA strength to explode all of your skin off your body as high-velocity meat shrapnel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RareAcumen posted:

Following in the footsteps of his teacher, Deku will also give his powers away.

Now if he could do that I'd be very down, as a character beat for Deku, balancing out power-creep, and the inevitable "EAT THIS!" scenes with Deku's classmates.

Also I think part of what makes a bunch of mystery quirks less appealing is there was already a pretty interesting development arc for Deku in not just learning how to use more of All Might's power, but learning how to use it in new and creative ways. Inventing new fighting styles or gadgets that use his power to different effects was already doing the job well enough, and depended more on the protagonist's cleverness and personal development than simply having several new discrete powers waiting to be discovered does. Hell, it's not like being at 25% of All Might's previous power had to be a cap, anyway, since there's always the question of pushing beyond what his 100% had been.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shere posted:

It feels like I'm reading the thread back when Eri's quirk was revealed and everyone was convinced the manga was ruined and consequences were void henceforth.

Like, yeah if you want to project a worst case scenario you're welcome to, but Horikoshi has displayed that he's quite capable of handling tropes fairly well

not really the best example, the whole overhaul arc kinda sucked, ending included, and after the concert he dealt with eri by basically putting her in a cupboard and politely asking us not to think about her superpower for the rest of the story

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shere posted:

Like, yeah if you want to project a worst case scenario you're welcome to, but Horikoshi has displayed that he's quite capable of handling tropes fairly well and "surprise new abilities" is about the most Shounen of all tropes.

I'm not worried about it.

Personally, I'm just glad that we've finally hit the point where the manga becomes bad like everyone predicted back in... uh, the Overhaul fight? The training camp? I feel like we've done this multiple times.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Power creep aside, I don't really get people's trepidation about this development. OFA being just increasingly powerful super strength and Deku ending up being a stronger All Might with kicks or whatever would be incredibly lame.

tbh I've always thought that Deku ending up being better at the strength part of OfA than Toshinori never made sense, like its well established that Toshinori was a genius with the super strength. But to me, the thing that would really set Deku apart from Toshinori is that he relies on a team of classmates. Like, the theme that seems to be becoming more and more present since the Kamino Incident is that with All Might no longer having his power, Heroes will need to start to rely more on teams and teamwork rather than individuals. This bank of new powers seem to be in direct contradiction to the theme that has been established in the past few arcs, and previous experiences with comics which do seem to go down the same road have not ended well... Why wouldn't there be trepidation?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
This new development 100% reminds me of an oldie but a goodie: Flame of Recca

Recca inherits a superpower which carries on each past user's superpower, and he must master its use over the course of the series. Recca is the ninth user and has inherited the power of the eight previous users, but he himself does not have his own unique superpower.

Sound familiar?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We're going full Naruto now and I'm apprehensive

Deku: *fighting new opponent* "I need something to beat this guy because nothing I have is working."
OfA: "Here you go. Enjoy one-shotting them with an out-of-control version of a new power that you'll then spend a few chapters mastering so you can use it as your own some day."

Repeat five more times

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That's the slippery slope yes. But at the same time I trust Horikoshi to do this well.
It's not a bad idea in concept, just that more recent series implemented it rather poorly. It's also not an asspull because this has been set up as far back as the tournament arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm apprehensive too but I'll still occasionally binge through a backlog every few months.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll say this: if it goes Naruto so be it, but it absolutely must not become Bleach. poo poo, if you think about it All for One is kinda what Ichigo became; whatever power was around he wound up taking some of it, or always had it in him the whole time.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bikindok posted:

Well, people also think Silver Age Superman who has whatever power the plot calls for is also lame, I don't see how that could be hard to understand.

Give Deku the quirk to shoot rainbows that generate a Miniature Deku.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deku doesn't need additional power creep when the concept behind his power is power creep.

Horikoshi is absolutely not a good enough writer to do this well, but he's a good enough one to pull it off passably so it's whatever.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bikindok posted:

Well, people also think Silver Age Superman who has whatever power the plot calls for is also lame, I don't see how that could be hard to understand.

Deku doesn't get to just invent new powers as he pleases, though. There are six and Horikoshi has probably already thought up all of them. He sure as hell didn't need Black Whip at this precise moment, so I somehow doubt he's going to pick up New Powers As The Plot Demands. Rather, he's going to pick up New Powers At Incredibly Inconvenient Times.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Deku doesn't get to just invent new powers as he pleases, though. There are six and Horikoshi has probably already thought up all of them. He sure as hell didn't need Black Whip at this precise moment, so I somehow doubt he's going to pick up New Powers As The Plot Demands. Rather, he's going to pick up New Powers At Incredibly Inconvenient Times.

See, what I'm hoping is that after this arc, Deku sits down with All Might and Gran Torino to try and figure out what quirks the previous holders had so he can try and figure this out instead of waiting for new ones to pop up at the worst times.

At the very least, they should be able to tell him what Nana's quirk was.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shadowlyger posted:

Rather, he's going to pick up New Powers At Incredibly Inconvenient Times.

I was feeling rather apprehensive about this development, but I 100% support it if it means we can have a scene of Deku brushing his teeth and all of the sudden he shatters his toothbrush with his extremely brand new razor teeth quirk.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Now that he knows brainwashing is a guaranteed way of seeing his quirk ghosts, Deku is going to bother Shinso about this all the drat time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He should get a bunch of dumb physical quirks that don't look right together at all. Bird head, wolf arms, lizard tail, giant horse teeth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

pretty disappointing imo, i feel we've been definitely hit or miss since the afo allmight fight, so i think this will be a good place for me to drop the series for a bit and catch back up later, esp as i've been underwhelmed by this arc a ton

my recommendation is to read dr stone then because it owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He should get a bunch of dumb physical quirks that don't look right together at all. Bird head, wolf arms, lizard tail, giant horse teeth.

Behold Deku's final form

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A chimera quirk would be goddamn sweet and now I want it to happen, be it to Deku or to a random new character. If the writing focuses on the societal issues of looking like that, then it would probably fit better in Vigilantes than in the main series though.

Jose posted:

my recommendation is to read dr stone then because it owns

I second this, Dr. Stone is very good. The Promised Neverland is another extremely good and unique Shonen Jump series. Neither has anything in common with MHA other than the magazine they're published in though, but they're super recommended.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think people here are being too quick to call this manga bad now

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dazoner posted:

You guys really are over thinking this...

1. From the moment OfA was passed down the first time we knew that multiple quirks were in play (the compounding power quirk and OfA)
2. All Might is an idiot but we gotta remember his career was cut short. Technically the singularity should have happened with him as the wielder of OfA.

How do we even know that intelligence plays a factor in this? And wasn't Toshiro using this quirk since he got into UA? He's had it for a pretty decent career and as far as we know had amazing intuitive control over it. We don't know why the Singularity occurred, for all we know it's because of the stockpiled strength reaching a point where these abilities can manifest.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
People are quick to call All Might a digus when it comes to most of the rest of One For All because for all of his intuitive ability to wield super strength, he basically understood nothing else about the power. He never had any interaction with the previous wielders, not even the dream Nana had, and his intuitive control means he has no idea how to teach Deku how to use it. Of course, it could be that he never saw the previous holders because he so clearly demonstrated that he didn't need their help.

I think it's an interesting way of handling it, to have the incredibly influential mentor figure actually being kinda crappy as a mentor when it comes to the finer details.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
While I don't believe it to be the case, I still like to think All Might was subconsciously tapping into a predecessor's quirk every time he punched hard enough to weather at someone

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All Might is the most successful OfA holder while also knowing the least about how it works.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sticking to the theory that OfA hit the quirk singularity when it transferred to Deku and that's why he can talk to the previous users and use their quirks while All Might couldn't

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Adder Moray posted:

While I don't believe it to be the case, I still like to think All Might was subconsciously tapping into a predecessor's quirk every time he punched hard enough to weather at someone

Super strength has to be one of the quirks. I believe the power storing quirk is power stored towards the existing quirks. Not in and of itself. So the strength already existed.

Quirks we know about so far.

- power transfer quirk (ability to transfer the persons existing quirk(s). Maybe you can choose which quirks get passed?
- Power stockpile quirk (Given to OfA by AfO). This is useless unless to the first generation. Having a power stealing quirk would work with first generation.
- Super strength
- Black tendrils

So there aren't many more powers to be revealed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’ve been burned too many times by Shonen Jump series to have faith in another

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We've got a long way to reach Bleach or Naruto levels of bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

What else are we supposed to expect when you give the main character the Chaos Emeralds?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

RareAcumen posted:

What else are we supposed to expect when you give the main character the Chaos Emeralds?

That's a really bad comparison and you know it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Can't believe that Deku can bloodbend, throw lightning and also has the Infinity Gauntlet now.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

People are quick to call All Might a digus when it comes to most of the rest of One For All because for all of his intuitive ability to wield super strength, he basically understood nothing else about the power. He never had any interaction with the previous wielders, not even the dream Nana had, and his intuitive control means he has no idea how to teach Deku how to use it. Of course, it could be that he never saw the previous holders because he so clearly demonstrated that he didn't need their help.

I think it's an interesting way of handling it, to have the incredibly influential mentor figure actually being kinda crappy as a mentor when it comes to the finer details.

I mean its a real thing, not just a way of approaching it. The same reason Barry Bonds and Ted Williams were great hitters but bad coaches. You cant teach someone natural talent.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe that Deku can bloodbend, throw lightning and also has the Infinity Gauntlet now.

They gave deku a gun

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Super strength has to be one of the quirks. I believe the power storing quirk is power stored towards the existing quirks. Not in and of itself. So the strength already existed.

You're missing what I'm saying. I am saying that sheer force doesn't create tornadoes or cause rainfall. Air pressure from sheer force is mor like Deku's finger bullets.

So, while I do believe that is just Horikoshi taking creative liberties with Super Strength, it would amuse me to no end if, instead, it turned out All Might had been tapping into (another?) one of his predecessors' quirks the whole time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

You won't be saying that when Deku learns Chaos Control!

Though really, the heroes could use someone with a warp quirk, the villains seem to have multiple hanging around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

i flunked out posted:

I mean its a real thing, not just a way of approaching it. The same reason Barry Bonds and Ted Williams were great hitters but bad coaches. You cant teach someone natural talent.

I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't. It's just not the particular flavor of flawed mentor I tend to see in fiction.