Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the only thing i can say that's completely good about this is that when deku fights AFO it won't be the same fight we've already seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I like this development thematically because you have the ultimate bad guy running around with a bunch of quirks stolen from others and the ultimate good guy facing him with a bunch freely given to him.

In that sense it does work, but one of the things that made All Might the people's hero is being relatively pure - he's fast and strong, but otherwise is a regular human using nothing but his own two hands. Black tendrils are not even remotely friendly and reassuring, and it is a weird, weird addition to the successor to Basically Superman.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

gmq posted:

I wonder if the endgame is Deku losing his powers (maybe because it's too much), becoming a quirkless hero Horikoshi originally wanted.

Vigilante already has that hero. Do we really need two?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In that sense it does work, but one of the things that made All Might the people's hero is being relatively pure - he's fast and strong, but otherwise is a regular human using nothing but his own two hands. Black tendrils are not even remotely friendly and reassuring, and it is a weird, weird addition to the successor to Basically Superman.

also midoriya was already distinguishing himself from all might by using his poindexter brain to adjust his combat approach whereas all might just bashed through everything

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
One of the previous holders will have a fire quirk and another will have an ice quirk and Deku will use both and cause Endeavor and Shoto to freak the gently caress out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hamelekim posted:

He's not a hero though. He's been very clear about that.

Rhonne posted:

One of the previous holders will have a fire quirk and another will have an ice quirk and Deku will use both and cause Endeavor and Shoto to freak the gently caress out.

Todoroki has his greatest shock when he realizes that not only is Midoriya All Might's illegitimate son, but also his long-lost brother, born from Endeavour's weirder experiments.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 18, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Knuckleduster is no hero. :colbert: But we do already have Mirio to fill that role.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Black tendrils are great because it means Deku can do the test of strength with Shigaraki without immediately dissolving.

However, by deciding to give the main character more powers and sidelining everyone in the class besides Todoroki and Bakugou with this revelation this manga has failed me and I'm defecting to the Soviet Union.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this development. One For All is already The Strongest Quirk(with the possible exception of All For One - and even that's not really clear, since AfO has been defeated twice by OfA), and Deku's growing proficiency with it has been enough to have everyone class him as a big boy heavy hitter in the same league as Bakugo and Todoroki. If he suddenly has a toolbox of utility powers to utilize - that are all apparently boosted just as much as the super strength - it basically puts everyone else hopelessly in the shade in a manga that already has some issues utilizing its side characters.

It also kind of throws a little doubt on the theory that the new "symbol of peace" is going to be everyone working together if Deku is just like Silver Age Superman up in here inventing powers constantly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Bakugou is going to have a heart attack.

AU where Bakugo was the one to inherit One for All and the black tentacles manifest on day one because he's constantly pissed off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
definite vibes of latter-day naruto

and horikoshi hasn't really inspired a lot of confidence re: his long term plotting skills, considering his most recent comment about the traitor subplot was just "lol i forgot"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oxxidation posted:

and horikoshi hasn't really inspired a lot of confidence re: his long term plotting skills, considering his most recent comment about the traitor subplot was just "lol i forgot"

Wasn’t that just someone angry on Tumblr putting words in his mouth? Or a joke?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Oxxidation posted:

He didn't actually say he forgot about the traitor subplot. I'm pretty sure that was just something someone made up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Did he actually say that? I thought someone on Twitter or Tumblr made that up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Good. Traitor plots suck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

X4 DEBUNK COMBO!!!

i choose to believe it anyway

i'm a rebel

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really don’t think this is a good idea for the plot long-term, honestly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rhonne posted:

Oh this would be great, Deku learning how to properly use his new powers by copying pro heroes he's a fan of.

Maybe he can go further by claiming that his quirk is actually dependent on analyzing and adapting the quirks of others. That's right, he has a copy quirk! And then Monoma has an aneurysm.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really don’t think this is a good idea for the plot long-term, honestly.

having a bunch of super powers on the level of all might's pure physical force seems like a bit much yea

but it could be good too. it just raises some caution flags for me

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think if the powers are all written so that they have logical limitations (as all the powers in this series do) then it shouldn't be a problem. Horikoshi has the benefit of the doubt from me, especially after how he handled the Endeavor arc pretty well

this is a pretty serious shift in the fundamental basics of the story tho, so it's gonna be interesting to see how the story develops from here

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think it’s cool Deku can work with 6 different quirks, maybe they’ll be as simple as “make black whips” since they were from previous generations with simpler quirks but Deku can use them either together or with his classmates in inventive ways

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess we now know why we got to see the 100% look already.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, I agree with folks on the fence about this. Deku has been on a firmly established journey since the first few chapters, becoming specifically All Might's successor and learning how to use his power at 100%. We've been watching him slowly build his way toward that, and now we're diverging into a bunch of different new powers, and it just feels like a digression of a solid if standard arc. I mean, Deku just got a new ability he's only ever used in one or two fights, and now we get to watch him learn five more. I guess this at least explains why Deku was already almost at a quarter of All Might's strength within his first year. This raises the ceiling a lot.

It just feels so...standard shonen manga. Like the comparisons to Naruto and introducing powers that totally change who the character is and how they fight that negates some of their previous growth. This was at least foreshadowed and feels planned. Hopefully it works out better than others have.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The biggest issue I have with this is that there was clearly workshopping of an alternate way to broaden Deku's powers via having him use support items a la the finger-gun gloves, but instead of that we get this other, hatsume-less, method

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm not wild about the "hidden quirks" revelation either. I thought the development arc of learning how to use One For All the same way All Might had was more than enough headroom, and if Deku needed to surpass his teacher then simply being more creative with it (like his kick style or other tricks) was more interesting from a writing perspective than just gaining more powers outright. Not to mention how this affects his various rivalry storylines, if folks like Bakugo would have to get at least as strong as All Might to just begin to keep up.

I don't usually like anime, and clumsy power-creep of the "go beyond Super Saiyan n to Super Saiyan n+1 !!" variety is one reason, so hopefully this doesn't just slide into that.

On another tack, I really thought Monoma's ambush was going to be the thing that got him disqualified since the fight seemingly needed to be called off at that point to address Deku's quirk malfunction, but then it turned out everyone was fighting anyway and Eraserhead's just gonna let the round continue and see how it plays out. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. I guess after all this build-up they might just want to do the big fight anyway, since it's a fighting comic after all.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So a conversation I was having elsewhere has helped me nail down the key difference between western cape comics and shounen fight manga as power fantasy fiction

Power, in whatever form it takes, in cape comics is meant to make your jaw drop. It's pure catharsis for the story that came before or setup for the story that's to come. It might be something the character earned or worked for, but not something they're earning or working for.

In shonen fight manga, power is either the objective or key to achieving that objective. The character gaining power, in whatever form it takes, is an integral part of the story telling .

With that said I feel like a lot of the trepidation in this topic comes from folks whose primary source of power fantasy fiction is shonen manga. Which isn't to say Horikoshi isn't writing a shonen. He obviously is. But he's drawing inspiration from a genre that knows how to deal with this.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
pretty disappointing imo, i feel we've been definitely hit or miss since the afo allmight fight, so i think this will be a good place for me to drop the series for a bit and catch back up later, esp as i've been underwhelmed by this arc a ton

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

In all the talk about quirkless heroes how did people forget about Mirio not having his quirk anymore and likely not getting it back any time soon.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
You guys really are over thinking this...

1. From the moment OfA was passed down the first time we knew that multiple quirks were in play (the compounding power quirk and OfA)
2. All Might is an idiot but we gotta remember his career was cut short. Technically the singularity should have happened with him as the wielder of OfA.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I only hope this isn't going to turn into a series of event where Deku just so happens to unlock the perfect new quirk for the situation. This is a slippery slope I hope Horikoshi has thought this out a bit. I'd hate to see Deku get poisoned, only to just then unlock his antidote quirk or something.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I trust that there will be a drawback that won't allow Deku to just use all the powers at once. The author so far has done a great job of always maintaining a balance. For example the quirks are powered up but so is the impact it has on the body. Additionally, Deku has to learn how to use the quirks. By the end when he has mastered all Quirks his body will be in shambles.

To the best of my recollection only Overhaul has a perfect quirk.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm actually in the minority in this thread as I am glad they are adding in the other powers. Super strength was already done, and we know that parents powers are passed down to their kids, sometimes as a mix. Deku just happens to have many "parents" in the form of the previous OfA users.

He becomes the greatest hero ever, and it probably relates to his ultimate mastery of the overwhelming singularity power of OfA.

Plus it means a longer story as he has to bring into play all of those powers, which I kind of like, and the fight with AfO will be better as both will bring out multiple powers when they fight.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Power creep aside, I don't really get people's trepidation about this development. OFA being just increasingly powerful super strength and Deku ending up being a stronger All Might with kicks or whatever would be incredibly lame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Power creep aside, I don't really get people's trepidation about this development. OFA being just increasingly powerful super strength and Deku ending up being a stronger All Might with kicks or whatever would be incredibly lame.

there's an entire robust side cast being neglected while the main gobbles up another platter of superpowers

we saw this happen with bleach and naruto, it seldom ends well

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

there's an entire robust side cast being neglected while the main gobbles up another platter of superpowers

we saw this happen with bleach and naruto, it seldom ends well

The side cast hasn't been neglected because Deku is too strong though. It's a very separate issue.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well, people also think Silver Age Superman who has whatever power the plot calls for is also lame, I don't see how that could be hard to understand.

Personally I was hoping the answer to "Superstrength is boring" was "Double down on teamwork and strategy plays" but Horikoshi seems to be unable to go that way. This angle was predictable, but also the most Green Naruto thing possible, so it doesn't do anything for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Following in the footsteps of his teacher, Deku will also give his powers away.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
As long as we don't have more of these arcs that are generally lacking in emotional weight, I don't think I care if Deku has one power or twenty.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bikindok posted:

Well, people also think Silver Age Superman who has whatever power the plot calls for is also lame, I don't see how that could be hard to understand.

Personally I was hoping the answer to "Superstrength is boring" was "Double down on teamwork and strategy plays" but Horikoshi seems to be unable to go that way. This angle was predictable, but also the most Green Naruto thing possible, so it doesn't do anything for me.

Being able to infinitely Punch harder kinda makes effective team play difficult.

Black Clover kinda started walking into this where the role of every other character is to just help Asta brain people with his swords because they literally defeat everything.

I think this is a better alternative then having Midoriya receive like a dozen powerups that amount to "punches x% harder".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

dazoner posted:

You guys really are over thinking this...

1. From the moment OfA was passed down the first time we knew that multiple quirks were in play (the compounding power quirk and OfA)

The compounding power quirk is a part of OFA, not an extra quirk.

Just like how Todoroki has one quirk that does two things, not two quirks.