Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

M42 posted:

I wanna know more about the one in front of it.

Fine fine fine...

And bonus picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
As terrible a ride as that probably is I still want on the Gigercycle.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is that juggling jester poo poo?

That is on par with backyard tattooing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Next gaming bike I want to see: Suzuki GSXR 1000 with Police Quest paint job.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HNasty posted:

Just saw this, it's Ducatis, plural. :agesilaus:

Ducatae

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

As terrible a ride as that probably is I still want on the Gigercycle.

I'm impressed with the builders' bucking the trend and sticking a skinny tyre on the back of it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Next gaming bike I want to see: Suzuki GSXR 1000 with Police Quest paint job.

Battletoads.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anybody hear we're supposedly getting the KTM 390 Duke finally?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

(even though it's annoying in traffic).

I don't see a problem. If it annoys people, then they're noticing it. I don't have to look at my brake light.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy poo poo the guy in center front must've had a terrible accident.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Where did you find this? It is pretty cool.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Where did you find this? It is pretty cool.

It was on imgur's front page today with a bunch of other old photos. The caption read "the first black biker club", but didn't have a source or any other info about them.

edit: http://www.eastbaydragons.com/history.html

I remember them being mentioned in Hunter S. Thompson's book about the Hell's Angels too.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 17, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Much like cannoli and biscotti, Ducati is already plural.

The singular is "Ducato".

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

captainOrbital posted:

Much like cannoli and biscotti, Ducati is already plural.

The singular is "Ducato".

Which makes this Ducati:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slim Pickens posted:

Bud's out fer a rip dere, eh?

I'm a little late to the party but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You know, the ergos actually don't look too terrible on it. Looks similar to:

Definitely fugly but not as poo poo as something from OCC or BiggDawgzz.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 17, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You know, the ergos actually don't look too terrible on it. Looks similar to:

Definitely fugly but not as poo poo as something from OCC or BiggDawgzz.

They had a 44 Chief and a 40 Knucklehead at the same event...

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The museum at Ft Bliss, Tx had an old Nazi Zundap. Pretty rad.

I am Engine!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That's in remarkably good condition. Are there any Russian remnants? They had some pretty wacky machines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that zundapp engine somehow related to the early BMW twins, or is the resemblance superficial and they just both happened to have the same configuration?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
That Nazi palm tree is the most bizarre combination of icons I've ever seen. Now I want to see a sitcom about a Teutonic resort owner ruling over his guests in the tradition of Basil Fawlty.

"Willkomen to Sandals Resort! Please leave your shoes at the door and immediately report to Guest Accommodations Services for processing!"

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 17, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
All guests should be happy to note that we have supplied complimentary Hugo Boss bath robes made from 100% natural anthrocapillum!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Is that zundapp engine somehow related to the early BMW twins, or is the resemblance superficial and they just both happened to have the same configuration?

When I wiki'd it, it said they were four cylinder engines. So I guess with a flat four and shaft drive the Goldwing is its next of kin.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

When I wiki'd it, it said they were four cylinder engines. So I guess with a flat four and shaft drive the Goldwing is its next of kin.

That's very silly. Why would you associate the Japanese with the Nazis?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I did that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That particular Zündapp is not a flat four, although Zündapp did make a flat four. The boxer engines had no relation to BMWs that I'm aware of, there was no connection between the companies. I believe BMW came out with the first longitudinal boxer layout in 1923 and some other companies copied the overall layout. Back in the air cooled days, it was a good setup for cooling.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Can someone help me identify exactly what went wrong in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3XbgPL2Qg

It kind of looks to me like he twists the bars to the left and it just lowsides from there. The rider blames his lean angle, but it seems to me that he would have had room to correct if he so chose.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He was running it alright but stood it up and hit the brakes for some reason?? Dunno but he tucked the front. He seemed to have the corner like most others take it before doing that, but I'm just going on watching rnickeymouse vids.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

He was running it alright but stood it up and hit the brakes for some reason?? Dunno but he tucked the front. He seemed to have the corner like most others take it before doing that, but I'm just going on watching rnickeymouse vids.

I think the consensus from other vids is that the camber flattens out a bit at the exit to that corner which leads to people suddenly going off the edge of their tyres at that point, where it seems like they've made it safely round the corner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What bugs me about that is that he's so intent on hamming it up for the camera that after his initial attempt fails he deliberately stands the bike up then tries to lean it over again, in the same corner, just to look cool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lots of lean angle, lots of input (watch what he does with the throttle right before it pushes the front and starts to slide), and lots of steering input.
There is next to no warning when you lose the front unless you're very good at what you do.

Either way, lean angle is a function of speed and line... vary one and you change the lean angle. Slow the gently caress down on the street.

Also, as you start picking up corner speed there is this awkward transition period from dragging your knee on just a few corners and just a little bit to suddenly dragging your knee on a lot of corners and really hard to the point that it catches you off guard. You artificially start limiting your lean and running the exit of corners wide because you need the lean angle to run your line but your body position / mental wtf thinking is keeping you from picking your knee up. At this point you need to alter your body position.. and fine throttle control starts mattering a lot more than it used to as your actual margin for error on the tires is quickly disappearing. Normally there is a loving HUGE margin for error... even when leaned over with what almost all street riders will call a lot of lean angle.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 18, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chichevache posted:

I can identify what went wrong. He's clearly a GSXR owner who accidentally bought a CBR.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
So Crayvex sez: Where do you wanna go for lunch?
I rattle off the usual haunts
And he sez: Those suck, what else?
And I sez: I've always wanted to eat in a restaurant with motorcycle parts hanging overhead in the form of gigantic model kit sprues. Do you know any place like that?
And he sez: Yeah.

Dismantled oil-in-frame Triumph, if you haven't guessed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

And I sez: I've always wanted to eat in a restaurant with motorcycle parts hanging overhead in the form of gigantic model kit sprues. Do you know any place like that?

Ther's a burger place here like that, but it's a mini instead of a bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

Marv woke up the next morning and realized he had left his wallet at The Restaurant With No Name. He took a trip down to the place only to find a vacant lot where the building had been. Looking around he spots an old bum pushing a shopping cart.

"Excuse me sir, do you know where The Restaurant With No Name is?"

"It burned down ten years ago...."

*or maybe*

Does the restaurant have a name?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

Isn't oil in swing arm better?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Chichevache posted:

"It burned down ten years ago...."

He searched the parking lot for his car and ultimately discovered that all forms of transportation required reassembly, yet the world was now devoid of Exacto knives and Whitworth tools. For he had just eaten at a little restaurant we like to call...The Twilight Zone.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

Ther's a burger place here like that, but it's a mini instead of a bike.

Burger Fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Chichevache posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3XbgPL2Qg

It kind of looks to me like he twists the bars to the left and it just lowsides from there. The rider blames his lean angle, but it seems to me that he would have had room to correct if he so chose.

Isn't that 'twist' just the front wheel going over because he ran out of tyre? If he pulled hard on the left handlebar (for some reason) like you suggested, I'm pretty sure countersteering would have stood the bike up. Which probably would have been worse, given his speed and proximity to a wall of rock.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 19, 2014