Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've wanted Nintendo to do a stylized remake of Ocarina and Majora for so long now, and what they've done with Link's Awakening is pushing that desire into overdrive.
I'd love straight ports of Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD from the Wii U. Up-res OOT3d/MM3d and sell all 4 as a package or pair of 2-packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I didn't understand why the Majora's Mask remake left me feeling wrong until I watched the video that explained the change in Deku Link's water hop. Little things like that all added up to sour me on the experience but I just couldn't understand WHY at the time.

And now after BotW I have a hard time playing any of the games because I feel so glued to the ground. But please Nintendo give us the ports!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh god I completely forgot about the Deku water hopping thing, that was a pretty egregious change too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

MM3D is the definitive version of MM and i will hear no different. All of the changes they made I like except for

If you have to say the word “except” then by definition it is not the definitive version of the game.
MM3D has a lot of good changes but it also did a bunch of weird, questionable, and even outright bad stuff. Like Ice Arrows being changed to be even more situational and less consistent in their logic. Or Oldolwa just not using all the attacks in his moveset at all. Or the absolutely terrible feedback in the new Twinmold fight. Or the insane amount of randomness in the new Gyorg fight that can prolong the fight to an obnoxious degree. Or playing the Song of Time not saving your game

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 24, 2019

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Now that the remake versions of OOT/MM exist I doubt we'll ever get a switch release of the originals. :( I just love the low poly aesthetic, textures, lighting and jankiness of the n64 games. It's purely nostalgia, but the look and feel is what makes me remember those games so fondly.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

I'd love straight ports of Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD from the Wii U. Up-res OOT3d/MM3d and sell all 4 as a package or pair of 2-packs

This is everything I've ever wanted. This and a SF2:CE arcade machine in my childhood bedroom.

Just those two things.

And this lamp.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MokBa posted:

I didn't understand why the Majora's Mask remake left me feeling wrong until I watched the video that explained the change in Deku Link's water hop. Little things like that all added up to sour me on the experience but I just couldn't understand WHY at the time.

And now after BotW I have a hard time playing any of the games because I feel so glued to the ground. But please Nintendo give us the ports!
uuughhhh the water hop don't remind me
sure nintendo, cancel all my momentum when I touch water, that's not incredibly obnoxious :shepicide:

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Now that the remake versions of OOT/MM exist I doubt we'll ever get a switch release of the originals. :( I just love the low poly aesthetic, textures, lighting and jankiness of the n64 games. It's purely nostalgia, but the look and feel is what makes me remember those games so fondly.
People have said it a bunch, but, like. Virtual Console on switch when. Surely it cannot be an unreasonable amount of effort to make an N64 or Gamecube emulator and just say "here you go, here's all of our first party games"

But this is the same company that thinks "2 lovely NES games released a month is an adequate reward for having online membership," so :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I keep watching speculation videos on BotW2 and ughhhh I want this game so bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blaziken386 posted:

uuughhhh the water hop don't remind me
sure nintendo, cancel all my momentum when I touch water, that's not incredibly obnoxious :shepicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRqJHzPA2c

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

pooch516 posted:

Nope, your quicksave is deleted once you load it. The only way I found to make progress on the game was to quicksave, then quit to the GameCube home screen and copy the Majora's Mask save to another memory card in case the game crashed.

Good thing I never got around to replaying it, the crashes were frequent enough that I would probably snap the disk in half if I tried again.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

IMO straight up emulated N64 Virtual Console versions are much likelier to (eventually) come to Switch rather than something in the vein of the 3DS remakes. Though of course it's also possible we'll never get either.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pooch516 posted:

Nope, your quicksave is deleted once you load it. The only way I found to make progress on the game was to quicksave, then quit to the GameCube home screen and copy the Majora's Mask save to another memory card in case the game crashed.

You can copy a quicksave over to the other save slot within the game too.

I got into the habit of doing that very early on....

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

If you have to say the word “except” then by definition it is not the definitive version of the game.
This is being pedantic to the nth degree, but ok. I just said they made a bunch of changes that made the game better.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I beat MM3D and I have no idea what people are on about with the water hopping. :psyduck:

Got all the masks and hearts too except for the stuff on the moon. That long Goron obstacle course just broke me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I beat MM3D and I have no idea what people are on about with the water hopping. :psyduck:

Got all the masks and hearts too except for the stuff on the moon. That long Goron obstacle course just broke me.

in the original game, momentum is preserved. So, if you spin into the water, you go faster, you go farther, and you can easily make it to the next platform.

in MM3D, it is not. as soon as you hit the water, you transition into the default hop, which is slow & not nearly as long range, and you'll fall into the water right next to the shore an awful lot.

BTW, solution for the goron obstacle course: don't touch the stick, just go straight

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So here's the deal with Deku water hopping.

In the original version you would maintain your momentum when you'd hop from land onto water, so if you did a spin into water hops you would have increased speed and distance and it was incredibly useful for speeding up traversal and making some of the longer distance hops less tight.

In MM3D your spin move no longer goes super fast by default and instead is based on your current movement speed. As a result of this change you could no longer get long fast hops without getting Link into a running pace first which made getting those big hops irritatingly hard to downright impossible in certain small spaces. The best example is coming back out of the Deku Shrine with the race with the butler. If you just walk out and jump off like any casual player would you do not actually have the distance to make it to the lily pad out meaning you have to circle run in place in a really tight space where you could easily smack the transition line back into the shrine by accident. It was a seemingly innocuous change to the spin that had more far-reaching consequences in traversal.

Also the real definitive version of Majora's Mask is actually the randomizer. poo poo is dope yo.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So wishlist for botw2
More outfits. One that decreases stamina usage when running/makes you run faster
Climbing set also lets you freely climb when it’s raining
More weapon types or a combat system with a bit more depth
Boss rush mode
A Hyrule that is slowly being rebuilt so a lot of the ruins are now actual buildings with stuff to do in them
Bigger towns
More spells/runes
More game

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm starting Master Mode for the first time. How should I approach the start, and about what point does it ease up?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It eases up when you break into the castle and take all the weapons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm starting Master Mode for the first time. How should I approach the start, and about what point does it ease up?

For the plateau part, avoid any unecessary fights. All the weapons you can find there will break faster than what use you'll be able to give them. Carry a Korok Leaf to yeet any enemy that comes after you off the plateau or into water.

After the plateau follow any river. You'll eventually find flying platforms. Destroy them/kill the mobs in the platforms and pick up the weapons inside the chests.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

still waiting on my uncle at nintendo to patch in a mirror mode feat. master mode jr (no regeneration)

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So wishlist for botw2
More outfits. One that decreases stamina usage when running/makes you run faster
Climbing set also lets you freely climb when it’s raining
More weapon types or a combat system with a bit more depth
Boss rush mode
A Hyrule that is slowly being rebuilt so a lot of the ruins are now actual buildings with stuff to do in them
Bigger towns
More spells/runes
More game

BotW1 has enough outfits.

And all those Miibos

I can just get on FB marketplace and look at all those Miibo options. Or the youtubes where they're actually riding Epona :rant:

It's enough to make you want to get on the RFID scene and give Nintendo two middle fingers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yeah if you can survive the plateau you’ll be fine. Go scavenge some good weapons from the castle or the floating treasure pads. Be super aggressive in combat and don’t let poo poo regen.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Be super aggressive in combat and don’t let poo poo regen.

Yeah use arrows to tag enemies every few seconds to prevent them from regening.

Or try to go for sneakstrike bearing in mind that the hit needs to kill otherwise it will wake/alert the whole camp. Use attack food to make sure the hit kills.

For lone enemies learn how to sneakstrike chain.

Abuse Ice/Shock arrows. They are plentiful and they are great for crowd control.

Finally, try to upgrade into Stasis+ as soon as you can. You'll be using it A LOT

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MokBa posted:

It eases up when you break into the castle and take all the weapons.
I 100% believe this is why they varied the guardian lazer timing
"oh, you wanted a good sword? you wanted a sword that doesn't break so easily? well good luck getting past the turrets now, motherfucker"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

pentyne posted:

Ocarina is regarded so well for a lot of reasons, one being that upon release it was shocking how good Nintendo managed the transition from 2D to 3D and in creating fundamentally new game design, game mechanics, style, and almost everything else from music to character animation.

Both OOT and Mario 64 were magically and impossibly good from that standpoint. Looking back it's easy to say, what's the big deal, but if you lived it, no explanation is necessary.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skratchez posted:

BotW1 has enough outfits.

And all those Miibos

I can just get on FB marketplace and look at all those Miibo options. Or the youtubes where they're actually riding Epona :rant:

It's enough to make you want to get on the RFID scene and give Nintendo two middle fingers.

Yeah but I don’t wanna wear the exact same clothes as in the first game. Redesign poo poo! I mean you can already tell they redesigned the champion shirt giving it a leather chest guard and shoulder pads

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Both OOT and Mario 64 were magically and impossibly good from that standpoint. Looking back it's easy to say, what's the big deal, but if you lived it, no explanation is necessary.

i never played ocarina in the 64 era, played it some when I got the bonus disk on gamecube, but it took until the 3ds version for me to fall in love :3:

it good. playing it again after unlocking master mode is even better, imo :)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BearDrivingTruck posted:

grab a blizzard rod for crowd control

Buy the Hylian armor upgrade asap, parts required are easily obtained monster bits

Majoras mask and phantom armor are almost cheating but they help a lot as do amiibos.

Complete enough shrines to get your hearts up so you’re not one hit killed all the time.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but I don’t wanna wear the exact same clothes as in the first game. Redesign poo poo! I mean you can already tell they redesigned the champion shirt giving it a leather chest guard and shoulder pads

They actually mixed in parts of the Hylian Armor set into it, which is a neat touch. It would be really cool if Link automatically puts the hood up when it starts raining or gets cold out.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

i never played ocarina in the 64 era, played it some when I got the bonus disk on gamecube, but it took until the 3ds version for me to fall in love :3:

it good. playing it again after unlocking master mode is even better, imo :)
dammit you just reminded me I never played the master mode of OoT, and now I want to

why didn't other games get master modes, that's such a cool concept

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I just watched the video the thread was talking about earlier about MM3d vs the n64 version and I have got to say that the graphical fidelity of the 3ds version is absurd. It's crazy that those textures scale up to 1080p as well as they do, there's no way you get a decent representation of how detailed they are on the 3DS. MM is my favorite zelda title and one of my favorite games of all time and that video kind of turned me off playing the 3ds version. I think the muted tone of the game was partially intentional and partly resultant of the hardware they were restricted to. It was obvious at parts they wanted lurid swatches of color the catch your eye but it didn't really work as well as it should have.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I looked closer at the BotW2 trailer and realized you're probably not going to be intentionally resurrecting Ganondorf or teaming up with him, which sucks because of all the great fanart of that

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

dammit you just reminded me I never played the master mode of OoT, and now I want to

why didn't other games get master modes, that's such a cool concept

Redesigning all the dungeons is a lot of work, and the results are pretty mixed. They only had the Master Mode dungeons for Ocarina of Time as leftovers from a cancelled expansion that they were planning for the 64DD.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

This video gave me a couple new "this loving game" moments, which are apparently an infinite resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUiYTNX_Z04

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Calaveron posted:

So wishlist for botw2

Boss rush mode

This is loving stupid. Boss rushes are always loving stupid in every game they've ever been in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speleothing posted:

This is loving stupid. Boss rushes are always loving stupid in every game they've ever been in.

Very strange opinion

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So wishlist for botw2
Boss rush mode
I would also like a bossrush mode, but with bosses that are more unique and less poo poo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

in other news I'm currently in Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly in OoT Master Mode replay, and I love that the developers were like "hey, we need slingshot targets in here... let's use cows. let's just clip some cows into the walls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Blaziken386 posted:

in other news I'm currently in Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly in OoT Master Mode replay, and I love that the developers were like "hey, we need slingshot targets in here... let's use cows. let's just clip some cows into the walls."

The ol’ Surf ‘n turf