Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seriously though, a lot of Reaper's female minis are embarrassing. Booblplate, anorexic proportions, needlessly skimpy clothing, submissive poses. It's frustrating going through their stock at the local LGSes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
We can apparently thank Bryan personally for the brain in a jar. He apparently begged for its inclusion.

EDIT:

An Angry Bug posted:

Seriously though, a lot of Reaper's female minis are embarrassing. Booblplate, anorexic proportions, needlessly skimpy clothing, submissive poses. It's frustrating going through their stock at the local LGSes.

Yeah, they're better than some companies, but their females are pretty hit-or-miss. Most of the Garrity or Guthrie females are fantastic, but there are plenty like the matron or, god help us, the naughty maid mini.

I thought about getting into painting minis years back, having been into the D&D pre-painted minis. First mini I saw at the gaming store was Brigitte, Naughty French Maid. I decided I'd be a bit too embarrassed to be involved in that aspect of the hobby. It wasn't until Bones I that I finally decided there were enough cool minis around to outweigh the skeevy ones.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 14, 2015

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

drat it, my wallet was already hurting. Welp, in for another $50 usd plus shipping. I gotta have that were armadillo.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

JackMann posted:

We can apparently thank Bryan personally for the brain in a jar. He apparently begged for its inclusion.
Thanks, Bryan. :3:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

JackMann posted:

What about Boobs in a Jar mini?

Lobes aren't enough for all of us!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking forward to brain-in-a-jar/frost giant mashups

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Apparently the brain in a jar is going to be like five pieces, so you can have whatever-in-a-jar.

Also, I think they're editing or have already edited the pic with the succubus, a black bar over her nips. Welp.

I don't like chainmail bikinis and overly sexualized minis... but the whole point of a succubus is to be overly sexualized. They're sex-demons. It's what they do.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man everything in the stoneskull expansion, bar the succubus, looks awesome.

I'm assuming these will be available separately later at higher individual prices, or has some stuff been KS exclusive?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If anything, this particular kickstarter hasn't had enough exposed nipples

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
New stretch goal! At $1,280 a set of five Breast Feeding Mothers will be added to the Core Set!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ravendas posted:

Apparently the brain in a jar is going to be like five pieces, so you can have whatever-in-a-jar.

Awesome, I really want a handful of them. I have no idea what it'll be at retail, but I'm guessing it'll probably be cheaper to add several of the brain-jar-group of minis in order to get multiples of that one than it will be to just buy it at retail later...assuming it's available as just a small group instead of the entire expansion, which I guess wasn't an option last time for expansion minis. :(

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 15, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So is there any downside to pledging a $100 now and then adjusting my pledge with the manager in ... How long do we have on that? Like six months? Almost a year?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

So is there any downside to pledging a $100 now and then adjusting my pledge with the manager in ... How long do we have on that? Like six months? Almost a year?

If you intend to end up pledging more, whatever you give after the kickstarter is over won't go towards unlocking new stretch goals.

Beyond that, no

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Awesome, I really want a handful of them. I have no idea what it'll be at retail, but I'm guessing it'll probably be cheaper to add several of the brain-jar-group of minis in order to get multiples of that one than it will be to just buy it at retail later...assuming it's available as just a small group instead of the entire expansion, which I guess wasn't an option last time for expansion minis. :(

Generally, expansions are all or nothing. So it's fifty bucks to spend each time you want another one. This is intentional, because they tend to have extremely narrow profit margins on the Kickstarters themselves, and would prefer there still be some things you want at retail.

It should still be relatively cheap when it hits stores. Probably under ten bucks, possibly around five or six, based on existing Bones minis.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ijyt posted:

Oh man everything in the stoneskull expansion, bar the succubus, looks awesome.

I'm assuming these will be available separately later at higher individual prices, or has some stuff been KS exclusive?

They haven't done any KS exclusives except for the Mr. Bones mascot figure each time I think.

They'll hit the stores months after the KS's ship, so you'll have awhile to wait. And yes, the Kickstarter prices are half to a third of retail usually. Even cheaper in the core set.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

drat those addons and that expansion. In for $100.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ravendas posted:

They haven't done any KS exclusives except for the Mr. Bones mascot figure each time I think.

They'll hit the stores months after the KS's ship, so you'll have awhile to wait. And yes, the Kickstarter prices are half to a third of retail usually. Even cheaper in the core set.

Mr. Bones is not a Kickstarter exclusive. The bag sculpt hasn't been released yet, but he's planned to go out in the next few months with the rest of the remaining Bones 2 figures. The only exclusive was the Kickstarter Sophie from the first KS, which was a pewter model. It doesn't make financial sense to do limited edition figures in Bones.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Mr. Bones is not a Kickstarter exclusive. The bag sculpt hasn't been released yet, but he's planned to go out in the next few months with the rest of the remaining Bones 2 figures. The only exclusive was the Kickstarter Sophie from the first KS, which was a pewter model. It doesn't make financial sense to do limited edition figures in Bones.

Ahh, didn't realize. I know it's not financially sound, but I figured they left him as a kickstarter exclusive for some reason. Also, despite getting the KS1, I got every model ordered delivered EXCEPT for that Mr. Bones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

An Angry Bug posted:

A powerful, defiant position. You are breaking new ground here, best be careful friend!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

A powerful, defiant position. You are breaking new ground here, best be careful friend!

The clothing is needlessly skimpy. There is a required amount of skimpiness and Reaper goes over that amount far too often, creating bonus skimpiness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, this is an argument worth having that hasn't been had dozens of times over in these sorts of threads. Everyone knows how lovely it is.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not sure if this is helping but the lady oni from bones 2 is apparently confirmed as a future stretch goal by the comments.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

An Angry Bug posted:

Yes, where are my Amish and Muslim miniatures? :rolleye:

If you don't like certain minis don't buy / use / paint them but there's obviously a market for them and are you going to begrudge a company from creating minis it knows will sell?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think most of us recognize that the skeevy minis are pretty terrible and do a poor job advertising our hobby to other people. But it's an old argument, and ultimately, Reaper's going to go with what sells. For a large portion of the audience, that's nekkid women. And the sad thing is that Reaper really is better than a lot of other mini companies, insofar as they have a lot of non-cheesecake female minis. This is helped by the fact that they hired Garrity and Guthrie pretty much as soon as they started making their own minis. However, they also brought in Dennis Mize, who was really fond of cheesecake.

I don't think the succubus is particularly terrible compared to some of their minis, and at least it makes some sense for it to be sexualized (compared to, say, most female warriors or spellcasters), but it is part of the larger trend of sexualized or passive females in Reaper's catalog. Reaper has made some moves to be a bit less skeevy. It's been a long while since they've released something like Brigitte, but they still have some problems. I'm probably the biggest Reaper fanboy in the thread, but I do think it's still worth criticizing them when we feel they could do better. At the least, it can inspire people to fill that niche. I'm pretty sure that a large part of what got Stonehaven going was the realization that there was a market for more females and non-standard classes for various races.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

cyberia posted:

Yes, where are my Amish and Muslim miniatures? :rolleye:

If you don't like certain minis don't buy / use / paint them but there's obviously a market for them and are you going to begrudge a company from creating minis it knows will sell?

Because there's no middle ground between 'incredibly modest' and 'totally naked'. Definitely no room for rad outfits that don't show tons of skin, or proper armor! No sir!

Hell, I'm even okay with having a handful of sexy minatures. I'd just like the majority of women to look cool and badass and not naked! Reaper does better than a lot of other companies, and I don't really have a problem with a succubus of all things being scantily clad. It helps that we're also getting poo poo like that dragon rider with her full plate.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 15, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Esser-Z posted:

Because there's no middle ground between 'incredibly modest' and 'totally naked'. Definitely no room for rad outfits that don't show tons of skin, or proper armor! No sir!

There is absolutely a middle ground as evidenced by every female mini in Bones 3 except the succubus. I'm just sick of some goons tripping over themselves to tell you how seeing a resin titty gives them the vapors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's literally a succubus. If the female blacksmith was in a come-hither pose with cleavage falling out folks might have a leg to stand on when bitching and moaning but this is a literal seduction demon

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
In Reapers top 10 miniatures sold chart Bridgette The Naughty Maid was top 5. So whatever folks feel about her, I'm sure reaper both enjoys making money and making models. Sometimes you gotta sell a little cheesecake so you can keep selling the all natural holistic organic salad.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

On the subject of boobs, I really like the Angel of Justice's pose and basically everything except her outfit. What about "justice" says "topless and a thong"? Her pose is nice enough that I want to use her as one of my Elohi (I'm doing one angel model per regiment base, to make them extra badass) for Kings of War, but I'm going to need to greenstuff her better clothes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Greenstuff clothes often look a little weird, but you could paint the skin as a body stocking or Superman-type leotard.

E: poo poo, I was looking at the wrong figure. I ... don't know how you'd modesty that one up.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 15, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oh, yeah, that could work. I was mostly thinking like doing a bandeau over her breasts.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Esser-Z posted:

On the subject of boobs, I really like the Angel of Justice's pose and basically everything except her outfit. What about "justice" says "topless and a thong"? Her pose is nice enough that I want to use her as one of my Elohi (I'm doing one angel model per regiment base, to make them extra badass) for Kings of War, but I'm going to need to greenstuff her better clothes.

Its perhaps a callback to the original adaptions of cold female figures in justice. Also perhaps while other angels do sell well, topless angels in totally awesome chains and cool boots sell WELL
VERY NSFW
https://luckybogey.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/blind-lady-justice.jpg
http://bronzes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/XL-French-Bronze-Statue-Lady-Justice-Scales-Figurine-Snake1.jpg

VERY VERY NSFW
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice

Totally cool, click away.
http://home.comcast.net/~mikechrisnoahtyler/Angelf.jpg

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 15, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Borris posted:

In Reapers top 10 miniatures sold chart Bridgette The Naughty Maid was top 5. So whatever folks feel about her, I'm sure reaper both enjoys making money and making models. Sometimes you gotta sell a little cheesecake so you can keep selling the all natural holistic organic salad.

Did you ever think that maybe Bridgette the Naughty Maid sells so well because people want more miniatures of working class women?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Huh. I forgot statues of Lady Justice often had nudity. Maybe I'll paint her like a living statue!

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

boom boom boom posted:

Did you ever think that maybe Bridgette the Naughty Maid sells so well because people want more miniatures of working class women?

Thats true. When I was trying to assemble my Pride and Prejudice themed Deadzone team, I was having a hell of a time finding good maid models. With a little conversion work Bridgette really came through. Though perhaps scandalous at first glance her core design is brilliant and perfect for my needs.

My needs.
*licks lips*

Bridgette
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/klockenbooty/latest/50084
Keywords
Female, Human, Wand, Clothing, Naked, Melee, Caster, Feather Duster, Klockenbooty, Modern, Nude

Klockenbooty

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 15, 2015

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

It is just a figure-line by Werner Klocken.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/klockenbooty/latest/page1

Lot of Klockenbooty-style miniatures, although most of the mammaries are covered.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

adhuin posted:

It is just a figure-line by Werner Klocken.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/klockenbooty/latest/page1

Lot of Klockenbooty-style miniatures, although most of the mammaries are covered.

Yes but... Klockenbooty! He's got his own keyword!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

It's very accurate description!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not going to lie even though she is nude the Angel of Justice is one of less sexualized female minis from old Reaper, because her pose is straight up triumphant rather than passive/submissive.

Going along the living statue idea though you could easily give her the appearance of metallic skin, or use a wash to make it look like she's glowing some sort of otherworldly color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

cyberia posted:

Except I only started complaining here because I can't get the awesome brain-in-a-jar without buying that succubus.

cyberia posted:

There is absolutely a middle ground as evidenced by every female mini in Bones 3 except the succubus. I'm just sick of some goons tripping over themselves to tell you how seeing a resin titty gives them the vapors.
Or maybe it actually makes me uncomfortable, instead of being some sort of act like you seem to think. Not everyone wants nudity in their wargames, and I certainly don't want cheesecake on my gaming table. That stuff's in a hidden folder in my computer with the weird stuff, where it belongs. :colbert:

• Locked thread