Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CM is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm pretty sure this isn't good at all and only worked because of it being casual play but, maybe the actual secret to this patch is to just stack so much dps that nothing matters? Four trolls into a bunch of hunters as I leveled up with an ogre -> lycan as the only thing even vaguely resembling a tank seemed pretty effective. The only reason I can think of for this actually working is that everything got 2x hp while very very few units got increased damage, so units like lycan that would never be able to tank for long past early game can soak up a decent amount of damage while your insane dps grinds through the boosted hp.

Anessix seems significantly better than Hobgen, she heals significantly more than Hobgen deals in damage on top of also having reasonable amounts of extra damage. Maybe if Hobgen didn't take so insanely long to cast a spell he'd compare better.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 25, 2019

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I played duo with a friend for like 4 hours. Really nice.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Duo is really fun and has a way different flow than regular really liking it and IO seems incredibly good. I Like the change to make bloodseeker bloodbound I was getting a lot of mileage out of ogre and blood early.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The UI is bad. Even as someone who has been playing since the DOTA 2 custom, I can't tell what's going on - add in the new Underlords, new units, new alliances, and so on... Well, it's a bit of a mess. What's up with Demons now? If any of them cast a spell, the rest are silenced for four seconds?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress the new UI is like catastrophically bad. Jesus.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Demon alliance seems kinda dumb. Like SF will never get a spell off.

CM's spell is really good and human is good. KotL casts much faster and isn't depedent on having a CM.

I can't say much about the Underlords except Hobgen is mostly top damage and would be better by a huge margin if his cast times weren't rear end. I kinda don't like them being on the board and basically controlling everything.

Just pushing damage with stuff like Hunters seems a lil too good which means we have alot to figure out again and I think things will even out. Trolls might be a problem down the line.

RBX fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 25, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Einwand posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't good at all and only worked because of it being casual play but, maybe the actual secret to this patch is to just stack so much dps that nothing matters? Four trolls into a bunch of hunters as I leveled up with an ogre -> lycan as the only thing even vaguely resembling a tank seemed pretty effective. The only reason I can think of for this actually working is that everything got 2x hp while very very few units got increased damage, so units like lycan that would never be able to tank for long past early game can soak up a decent amount of damage while your insane dps grinds through the boosted hp.

Anessix seems significantly better than Hobgen, she heals significantly more than Hobgen deals in damage on top of also having reasonable amounts of extra damage. Maybe if Hobgen didn't take so insanely long to cast a spell he'd compare better.
That was my first impression on Anessix. Her bursty talents are also annoying to play against if you're trying to rely on 1-2 clutch units. And she spams 30 pure damage constantly in addition to what her minion does.

I've been playing with Hobgen anyway and he gets better as talents unlock. One talent makes him a ~120 dps auto attack unit at round 10 which is pretty legitimate in the early-mid given his hp pool. Lots of the flame spreading and armor reduction talents seem very strong in certain comps as well, but I don't know which comp that is. They would have rocked in last patch's warriors+warlocks. Especially in the mirror.

RBX posted:

I can't say much about the Underlords except Hobgen is mostly top damage and would be better by a huge margin if his cast times weren't rear end. I kinda don't like them being on the board and basically controlling everything.
Yeah, I hope they remove them from the game as a unit. Let them do their thing from the sidelines.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 25, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

violent sex idiot posted:

i got dropped from big boss to lieutenant?

heck, same

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I think the trick with hobgen is to take all the passive talents, and only run him in knights, brawny, warrior, brute, or other beefy/high healing comps (haven't tried a mage Comp with his spell talents). It also may be worth throwing him up front as a tank in certain scenarios, with the +8 armor talent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I got an early 4 troll into 4 troll 4 knight 2 heartless 2 healer (the healer did very little) and it was surprisingly not busted. I only won because an opponent dropped a divine rapier for me on round 26. Maybe theres a better way to play it, I used abba luna bat omni.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Terminal autist posted:

I Like the change to make bloodseeker bloodbound I was getting a lot of mileage out of ogre and blood early.

Blew my fuckin mind that it took this long to make bloodseeker thematic. Blood was in his name, he looks the most savage out of any hero, but they made him a deadeye, human assassin despite having goat feet. Okay.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If anyone finds all the movement in the UI as annoying as I did then you can uncheck "High Quality Dashboard" in the options menu. It makes the underlords not glowing and animated in-game, it stops the sword+shield from moving in-game, and overall makes the UI tolerable. It does make the underlord on the main screen look like a zoomed in potato made of 5 vertices, but if I had my way I'd disable that thing from speaking and moving as well.

It might also disable damagae numbers because I don't see those? Maybe they were removed with the patch. It doesn't even show assassin or daedalus crits now which is kinda awkward.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 25, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anyone else getting a weird bug where they can't drag heroes? I have to click like 4 times to get them to move atm

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yup, workaround right now is to left click and then right click place it somewhere.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cinara posted:

Yup, workaround right now is to left click and then right click place it somewhere.

Ty just saved my game

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

Anyone else getting a weird bug where they can't drag heroes? I have to click like 4 times to get them to move atm

Yup, loving annoying. I just quit out though, I'll wait a for a hotfix.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

Another workaround is to hold right click down, left click, and then it should be dragging like normal.

With both of these combined you can do normal stuff. But awkwardly.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

These work arounds do no work on mobile. :smith:. I legit use this game to exercise for longer and i'm extremely bummed with the patch.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The hotfix is out that fixes this, you should have an update on mobile if you do not already.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Cinara posted:

The hotfix is out that fixes this, you should have an update on mobile if you do not already.

Works! Item dragging seems to break on the third move, but the core is playable

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I've had pretty great success trying to go savages & hunters, picking up 3 warriors+2heartless along the way, and either going into hunters late-game or if I high rolled on savage just transitioning into "lots of damage stuff and powerful units that you end up with as you transition from 6->4 or 6->2 or 6->0 savages after round 30-35, sometimes splashing 2 warlocks if you can't complete a more powerful alliance or ended up with a tb3 but only hunters 3 + warr 3 bonus". Probably not going to be the optimal strategy of the patch, but it plays very similar to warrior good stuff from last patch. I haven't had a chance to really get brawny rolling or pick up an early bristle yet.

Bristleback is insane in pretty much anything, especially if you get octarine. I really want to get him into a 3 or 6 mage comp sometime. It's absolutely insane how much damage he puts out. You don't need brawny or savage either, I ran him in 6 hunter + 3 warrior and just wearing a vanguard he was keeping up with 3* 6 hunter bonuses with heartless 2. And I had pretty okay items, 2x moon shards + a basher. It was only later in the round that 3* Mirana or 2* medusa would pull ahead of him.

Shadow Demon is also really, really good but it's not immediately obvious why. Every time I've had him I've crushed, every time I've been against a 2*-3* one life has been tough. Early, he also keeps your build wide open because he provides heartless but functions well in almost any comp.

I also had a really weird game where octarine on sniper 2* worked comically well because my opponents had nothing that consistently hit him. I didn't find a bristleback all game, and most hunters aren't exactly good octarine carriers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Doubling the health of every single unit was such a stupid change. Legion Commander seems like a jokey trap pick unless you can put Big Time contract on her or something.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 26, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Under lords should not be on the field. What's wrong with the dota guys. Fight seem to take a lot longer too.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Increasing hp to compensate in some way for the extra stuff the underlords do kind of makes sense, but 2x without adjusting any other numbers seems a bit excessive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm actually totally ok with the HP doubling. They were probably finding that CC and disables were too strong even when it felt like it wasn't doing much. This lets you have heroes that do impactful things besides damage without being totally broken (note: this is secretly yet another shaman nerf!). It also enables abilities like Io's, etc etc.

I dislike a lot of what's been done but that one's not been totally horrible. It makes healing even more broken but hey at least warlocks got nerfed with the necrophos change.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
For some reason blademail seems to do a lot of damage now? Did I miss that in the patch notes or is it just due to the doubled hp pool? I've had a few games in a row where pudge is topping meters wearing a blademail:

Even at 2* he deals absurd amounts of damage with it on. That was round 38 against knights+hunters with a handful of 3* heroes. They just take away all of their own hp on pudge, tide, or likely any other tanky hero. It's probably pretty sick on stacked brawny if you put it on them.

edit: This was the full draft. I actually struggled real bad that game and didn't stabilize until after 35. I tried to push warriors or savages or random good stuff, but I got dealt nothing at all for most of the game. I only hit lone druid+bristle 1 on 32 despite being 9 since 21. I had a pretty good run until low 20s, then I just didn't find anything and my opponents had a lot of good stuff. I'm actually shocked that swapping triple healer in over savages/warriors/warlocks as a last ditch "I am getting shredded and killing nothing" effort worked out as well as it did. Once I found troll, troll 2, bb2, and finally lone druid 2 things turned around a bit. My items were also kinda bogus that game, no gloves/chainmails/mom/anything great until that shivas on 35. I did get helm at least, but I was never able to use it very effectively. Guy who came in second was playing knights/hunters and had 5 3* guys and better items. He mostly lost on positioning I think, because he kept letting me reposition to cheese his tb3 at round start each time.

No Wave posted:

I'm actually totally ok with the HP doubling. They were probably finding that CC and disables were too strong even when it felt like it wasn't doing much. This lets you have heroes that do impactful things besides damage without being totally broken (note: this is secretly yet another shaman nerf!). It also enables abilities like Io's, etc etc.

I dislike a lot of what's been done but that one's not been totally horrible. It makes healing even more broken but hey at least warlocks got nerfed with the necrophos change.
The patch seems the opposite tho. All that matters is damage, and once your comp gets together you shred almost any unit in 1s-2s tops. Including underlords. Except maybe certain warriors and knights.

It's also weird they nerfed shaman when shamans all sucked except Enigma but Enigma is only good for casting one ability in the first 5s of the round. At least they buffed shadow shaman a bit.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 26, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
legion commander with a blink and a couple demons, hunters, warlocks etc does work. shadow demon shadow fiend drow terror blade + 1 hunter 1 warlock and she gets double strike chance and 150% bonus damage and healing when she duels

Khorne
May 1, 2002

violent sex idiot posted:

legion commander with a blink and a couple demons, hunters, warlocks etc does work. shadow demon shadow fiend drow terror blade + 1 hunter 1 warlock and she gets double strike chance and 150% bonus damage and healing when she duels
I feel like LC really needs to be picked up early and start stacking duel wins to be relevant. Her base damage and dps are pretty low making her a not so great pick, and the only alliance she activates is humans which generally isn't strong early.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Had a game where I got my 3-star Legion Commander with 4 blood bound units on the field thanks to lucky BTCs plus Deadeye and Hunter making her win duels on the weakest people (misclicking and getting Refresher actually turned out useful on her).
She did 53,000 damage in one round.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sniper with assassin’s veil would probably be legit if he actually used his ult on the enemy Underlord. With the hunter buff active he actually shreds through them pretty fast, but having to wait for the ult to pop usually lets them use their spells.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Assasins veil pudge (always), slark, pa, sound really strong?

Sniper in certain builds, definitely

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Must admit I'm finding myself wishing they didn't drop this all at once. All the new heroes and the underlord is a little overwhelming when you only get 1-2 games a day. Not sure I like the underlords being on the board at all, but I've not played enough to have a final opinion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ravus posted:

Must admit I'm finding myself wishing they didn't drop this all at once. All the new heroes and the underlord is a little overwhelming when you only get 1-2 games a day. Not sure I like the underlords being on the board at all, but I've not played enough to have a final opinion.
same on all accounts

There are weird rough edges like there being nine hunters and none of them going to jail today for some reason, it's not ruining the game or anything it just might have been nicer if it were staggered a bit.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I'm not really liking the jail mechanic at all. :shrug:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

No Wave posted:

same on all accounts

There are weird rough edges like there being nine hunters and none of them going to jail today for some reason, it's not ruining the game or anything it just might have been nicer if it were staggered a bit.

Horizon Burning posted:

I'm not really liking the jail mechanic at all. :shrug:

I kind of 'get it' it stops people running the same comps all the time, but on the other hand... sometimes I just want to try and force a comp I like and literally not being able to do that feels kinda lovely.

edit: Plus today I actually have some time to play, my wife and kid are at my inlaw's, I'm up early. All I want to do is see how loving busted Bristle is AND HE'S IN GOD drat JAIL. :argh:

edit2: Spent some time playing. Still not super convinced by the underlords but some of the new heroes and alliances are SO FUN. Insect being my standout, I love Weaver, Nyx and Brood.

Is my current favourite comp. Bit contested in places, but when it you get it boy is it effective. There's some flex in the hunters, but only the obvious ones. You can run Pudge instead of LS but unless you get Blade Mail it's not as good, but if it isn't contested and LS is it's ok.

You can also go 3 hunter and DK/otherdragon/Legion Commander. I think DK seems more broken now than he was before! That splash adds up with the larger health pools. But I found it harder to pull off.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 27, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Duos is very different. It's 40 XP to go from 6 units to 7 (yes, really) which means you need to think about six-piece setups and get your partner to pass you what you need to three-star some of them.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

For some reason blademail seems to do a lot of damage now? Did I miss that in the patch notes or is it just due to the doubled hp pool? I've had a few games in a row where pudge is topping meters wearing a blademail:

They doubled every heros health pool, so blademail is basically twice as good now

Edit: Actually its way better than twice as good, since blade mail damage is factored in before mitigation from armor, and most units you are putting blade mail on have 10+ armor

imgay fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 27, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

imgay posted:

They doubled every heros health pool, so blademail is basically twice as good now

Edit: Actually its way better than twice as good, since blade mail damage is factored in before mitigation from armor, and most units you are putting blade mail on have 10+ armor
And anessix heals a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

If you think Pudge with BM is strong, you should see Omni with it. I had a 3* Omni with BM regularly do 9.5-10k damage a round.