Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You all may be asking yourself what has Duck and Cover been up to when he's not posting excellent posts in game threads? Well I'm here to tell you his present game of choice is Dota 2 Auto Chess.

What is Auto Chess? A game where you pick heroes, place them and hope they beat the enemies selected heroes/creeps as they battle automatically.
How to I play this wonderful game? Download Dota 2, go to arcade download Auto Chess.
This game is super random. It sure is!

I'm of the belief people should play games and learn them through experience but if you want here's a reasonable guide Firebatgyro made.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880684#post492159612

I'm posting this guide here because I've been told it's good and I want to be sure to have it for whenever I make a new thread. (probably when garbage company Riots auto chess is available to everyone)

Mayveena posted:

https://youtu.be/cq37Y9ls4_I

Quill18's excellent tutorial for complete beginners. I learned a lot!

Hero shop odds.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

$1 - 100/70/60/50/40/33/30/24/22/19%;

$2 - 0/30/35/35/35/30/30/30/30/25%;

$3 - 0/0/5/15/23/30/30/30/25/25%;

$4 - 0/0/0/0/2/7/10/15/20/25%;

$5 - 0/0/0/0/0/0/0/1/3/6%.

Trap strategies are anything in the endgame that isn't Mages

But more seriously, it's less about trap strategies and more about figuring out which units are good and how to mix and match, because every game you should be opting for the mix and match. There's very few Alliances you should worry about maxing out, but instead focus on getting a few units that have really valuable Alliances at low levels (Inventors, Druids, now Dragons) and building out from there. I'd 10000% rather have seven assassins plus Kunkka and Tidehunter than nine assassins, even if at nine assassins you get the max alliance bonus.

So, for example, Warlocks aren't very useful in the beginning because you're not dealing enough damage for percentage-based lifesteal to be useful. On the flipside, Druids and Inventors who have flat healing rates are much more useful early on. Warrior bonuses are good, but useless against mages who totally bypass armor. Hunters seem easy to get, but Drow is one of the most useless heroes in the game, so you also need to know the strength of individual units before you can assess how good an Alliance bonus is

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I will say this, it’s the first Dota 2 custom game mode that’s made me really feel like I did playing WC3 battle.net. They’re using the game engine as a toolkit to make a simple but engaging game that’s quickly understandable to people familiar with the base game, and that’s pretty cool

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I will say this, it’s the first Dota 2 custom game mode that’s made me really feel like I did playing WC3 battle.net. They’re using the game engine as a toolkit to make a simple but engaging game that’s quickly understandable to people familiar with the base game, and that’s pretty cool

It sure does. My favorite part? Waiting for that one person with a slow hard drive almost every game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wish I could Dota chess on my phone

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I thought that myself but game length is like 40 minutes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wish playing against the awful UI wasn't a core part of the game. I hate the high APM moments where you're, like, trying to shuffle units onto the board to combine and the buy window minimizes itself every time you do that, but you're putting units on to the board to have more space to buy things...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Minrad posted:

I wish playing against the awful UI wasn't a core part of the game. I hate the high APM moments where you're, like, trying to shuffle units onto the board to combine and the buy window minimizes itself every time you do that, but you're putting units on to the board to have more space to buy things...

Definitely could use improvements. I did catch Trump not deciding what to do fast enough. Well at least I think it was Trump, and that sure fits so we'll go with that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 28, 2019

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The rope for trump is a lack of moving units on the board

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

It sure does. My favorite part? Waiting for that one person with a slow hard drive almost every game.

Well this part is great and all however I'm going to have to go with needing to ready up about a billion times and not being able to safely go afk until your actually in a game and don't have enough time to do anything before it starts. At least in Myth 2 people would actually load and play the game after readying up.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So can someone explain to me how the Druid class is supposed to work? I was under the impression that you only needed 2 of them to upgrade instead of the standard 3? I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it seems like I needed 3 of the Treant Protector to upgrade to level 2 and then once I had 2 of the fuckers I couldn't upgrade them to level 3. It's hard to tell in this game if something isn't working or is just poorly explained.

The interface also quite sucks and I don't care for being unable to remove items short of selling the hero. Still fun, even though I keep getting matches in the Peru server for whatever reason.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Das_Ubermike posted:

So can someone explain to me how the Druid class is supposed to work? I was under the impression that you only needed 2 of them to upgrade instead of the standard 3? I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it seems like I needed 3 of the Treant Protector to upgrade to level 2 and then once I had 2 of the fuckers I couldn't upgrade them to level 3. It's hard to tell in this game if something isn't working or is just poorly explained.

The interface also quite sucks and I don't care for being unable to remove items short of selling the hero. Still fun, even though I keep getting matches in the Peru server for whatever reason.

It's a class effect.

So if you have two different druid heroes out on the field, the class effect for having two different druid heroes is that you only need 2 copies of a particular one star druid to upgrade it into a two star.

The four druid hero effect allows you to go from a two star druid to a three star with just 2 copies.

In both cases, you need two/four different druids out on the field for the class effect to come into play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It took me about six posts to realize this wasn't an Artifact thread

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

pnumoman posted:

It's a class effect.

So if you have two different druid heroes out on the field, the class effect for having two different druid heroes is that you only need 2 copies of a particular one star druid to upgrade it into a two star.

The four druid hero effect allows you to go from a two star druid to a three star with just 2 copies.

In both cases, you need two/four different druids out on the field for the class effect to come into play.

Ah, I see. So I could have a lvl 2 Enchantress and a lvl 1 Treant on the board and then I would only need 1 additional Treant to get the lvl 1 to a lvl 2? I guess that makes sense.

And this could be the Artifact thread. For all of the bagging about the randomness and lack of control in Artifact, there seems to be just as much of that in Auto Chess.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Das_Ubermike posted:

Ah, I see. So I could have a lvl 2 Enchantress and a lvl 1 Treant on the board and then I would only need 1 additional Treant to get the lvl 1 to a lvl 2? I guess that makes sense.

And this could be the Artifact thread. For all of the bagging about the randomness and lack of control in Artifact, there seems to be just as much of that in Auto Chess.

Well Auto Dota Chess doesn't have disillusion of being more then a casual fun little game. It always bugged me that people made such a simple casual game like Hearthstone an esport. Like why do that? Why make a game like Super Smash into something it wasn't meant to be? Eh whatever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 29, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

not gonna lie this looks like the kind of trashy wc3 custom map bullshit that i would have loved when i was in college but i've grown a lot since then and dont think i want to go back

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

not gonna lie this looks like the kind of trashy wc3 custom map bullshit that i would have loved when i was in college but i've grown a lot since then and dont think i want to go back

This is a fair assessment but in the end it's fun. Like what do you want from a game? Sweet graphics? Psychological hooks? Fun is fun.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 29, 2019

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I hate to agree with D&C but the game is a lot of fun and (for the most part) hits the right balance of skill and RNG. That being said it'll probably be dead in a month.

Right now mechs are way too good early game, and item drops are too random, but overall if you build right (and get the units you need) you can win with a lot of different strategies. They do need to figure out a solution for adding in new units since if they dilute the pool too much its going to break the game.

Edit: They also need to speed up the games to like 30m max instead of 45 where they are now.

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 29, 2019

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

I hate to agree with D&C but the game is a lot of fun and (for the most part) hits the right balance of skill and RNG. That being said it'll probably be dead in a month.

Right now mechs are way too good early game

They're good early, but struggle a bit midgame unless they can keep stacking more mechs (unlikely) or start working towards a different strategy, like assassins, in which case they pay the opportunity cost of having leveled up the "wrong units" for mid/lategame. In the lategame, a pure goblin build tends to pop back up again with the 6-goblin buff, but that alone won't usually carry them against real lineups, so they need to use their earlier economic advantage to overwhelm the enemy with just sheer value. So essentially, goblins are intentionally very strong early, they're a faction that wins by incurring lots of interest.

Firebatgyro posted:

Edit: They also need to speed up the games to like 30m max instead of 45 where they are now.
No

The biggest problem with the game is probably the fact that the devs can't keep adding units forever. There is a hard limit until it becomes impossible to upgrade heroes. So either the game gets really old in a month, like you said, or they start incorporating "sets" like card games, and essentially rotate the heroes in the pickable pool.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Right now mechs are way too good early game, and item drops are too random, but overall if you build right (and get the units you need) you can win with a lot of different strategies. They do need to figure out a solution for adding in new units since if they dilute the pool too much its going to break the game.

I feel like it could fail in a month, or become big like I have no idea.

Minorkos posted:

They're good early, but struggle a bit midgame unless they can keep stacking more mechs (unlikely) or start working towards a different strategy, like assassins, in which case they pay the opportunity cost of having leveled up the "wrong units" for mid/lategame. In the lategame, a pure goblin build tends to pop back up again with the 6-goblin buff, but that alone won't usually carry them against real lineups, so they need to use their earlier economic advantage to overwhelm the enemy with just sheer value. So essentially, goblins are intentionally very strong early, they're a faction that wins by incurring lots of interest.

No

The biggest problem with the game is probably the fact that the devs can't keep adding units forever. There is a hard limit until it becomes impossible to upgrade heroes. So either the game gets really old in a month, like you said, or they start incorporating "sets" like card games, and essentially rotate the heroes in the pickable pool.

They could have the pool be generated at the start of each game . You get the benefit of randomness without the downside since it applies equally to everyone.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When I watch streams of this the players spend very little time looking at the other players' comps/positioning. Can that possibly be correct? It seems really important to see what might be open and especially countering your opponents' positioning in the late game. There shouldn't be positions that both players are happy with.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

When I watch streams of this the players spend very little time looking at the other players' comps/positioning. Can that possibly be correct? It seems really important to see what might be open and especially countering your opponents' positioning in the late game. There shouldn't be positions that both players are happy with.

Sure if you know who your getting next and while it may say somewhere I haven't noticed.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

No Wave posted:

People aren't very good yet. You should definitely be looking out to see if multiple people are trying for the same units as you.

Positioning is tough because the units kinda just jump randomly.

Duck and Cover posted:

Sure if you know who your getting next and while it may say somewhere I haven't noticed.

It doesn't

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Duck and Cover posted:

I should have specified, at the very endgame when it's 1v1.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

I should have specified, at the very endgame when it's 1v1.

I think people don't have a very good grasp about how the heroes move yet. Also I'm not sure how much a difference positioning really makes in the majority of cases besides making sure your squishy heroes don't die instantly.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
AoE abilities like razor or tide, or long range ones like the dwarves, you can position in a way where they're protected but still doing optimal dps. I'd say it's pretty important, but like a lot of things in this game it's hard to get a sense of and address simultaneously with the other players.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/al2we4/analyzing_auto_chess_code_potential_bugs_revealed/

quote:

Crowns, Mystic Staff and Dagon are useless (for their mana giving ability). They only increase the opponents' chess pieces' mana.
The reason you don't get mana with Dagon is probably because of this buggy code.
These items' bonuses stack multiplicatively.
Mages, Warlocks, and Shamans get a (potential) bonus for right click damage. Potential because of the additional division by 2.5.
Vanguard strictly overwrites Stout Shield.
Damage Block doesn't stop lethal damage.
Dagon could become OP.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I read somewhere that Tencent was apparently surveying people in China to see if they would be interested in a mobile version (presumably using LoL characters)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also someone should put a guide to what Auto Chess actually is and how to play it in the OP because from I've been seeing around the internet/twitch is that quite a few non-Dota people seem interested in it but there is a big ol barrier of entry in terms of mechanics.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also someone should put a guide to what Auto Chess actually is and how to play it in the OP because from I've been seeing around the internet/twitch is that quite a few non-Dota people seem interested in it but there is a big ol barrier of entry in terms of mechanics.

Nah, mechanics take like 1-2 games to figure out and having played Dota doesn't give you an advantage at all except for I guess being able to remember which hero is which easier.

The bigger learning curve is which heroes/combos are good, which are good situationally, and which are just trash. And also how to play from ahead/even/behind.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Also tier lists are super situational so take anything you read with a grain of salt. Like DK is really strong if you have the 3 dragon synergy but hes trash otherwise.

And everyone has WR and Veno ranked meh (which they are) but they are insane if you can luck into one in turns 4-6 and will let you snowball hard.

Tide is super OP though, i don't think there was ever a game I wasn't happy to have a tide in my lineup.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Duck and Cover posted:

Well Auto Dota Chess doesn't have disillusion of being more then a casual fun little game. It always bugged me that people made such a simple casual game like Hearthstone an esport. Like why do that? Why make a game like Super Smash into something it wasn't meant to be? Eh whatever.
When Dota was first around, it was known as Warcraft for people who are bad at Warcraft.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Firebatgyro posted:

Nah, mechanics take like 1-2 games to figure out and having played Dota doesn't give you an advantage at all except for I guess being able to remember which hero is which easier.

The bigger learning curve is which heroes/combos are good, which are good situationally, and which are just trash. And also how to play from ahead/even/behind.

I say it'd be worth making a more robust OP if only to draw in more players. If someone is interested in the game and curious how it plays, "place heroes to defeat enemies" doesn't really help. Also if someone tries playing and just doesn't get it, I could see them coming here for a better explanation.

It's not like a better explanation makes the thread worse or anything. If people need it then it's there to help, if they don't then they don't.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just had a game where I got like 10 items in the initial 3 waves, and then nobody competed for my warriors so I got axe and jugg upgraded early and just rode the wave to an easy victory, my first. It felt real good, but lucky as gently caress.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I say it'd be worth making a more robust OP if only to draw in more players. If someone is interested in the game and curious how it plays, "place heroes to defeat enemies" doesn't really help. Also if someone tries playing and just doesn't get it, I could see them coming here for a better explanation.

It's not like a better explanation makes the thread worse or anything. If people need it then it's there to help, if they don't then they don't.

If they don't get it they're an idiot/lazy (well I could figure this out on my own but that requires effort please tell me everything) who is having a detrimental effect on the complexity of video games as a whole. That and I'm lazy so I haven't yet. If someone wants to make a how to play type post I'll edit the OP but I'm not going to get into tiers/telling people how they should play.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I tried a custom lobby on my own to get a feel for the controls and got demolished by the cloud players. I assume it's not as bad in a real match? Or was my drafting that awful?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dyzzy posted:

I tried a custom lobby on my own to get a feel for the controls and got demolished by the cloud players. I assume it's not as bad in a real match? Or was my drafting that awful?

I have no idea because I tend to just play games. So my opinion is going to be just play the game.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'll put together a tutorial if I have time/motivation today but here is FBG's patented strategy to winning your AutoChess pub games (disclaimer: sometimes you will get screwed by RNG and have to do some other build but like 75% of the time it'll work every time and you will almost certainly win if you learn how to manage your gold).

Your core of your final comp is going to be 3 Warriors (Troll/Lycan/Tusk is my standard) + 3 Warlocks (WD/Necro/ideally Enigma) + Tide (hes OP). The final 3 slots are utility depending on what you draw and what you are playing against. I like 3 more warriors, 2 more hunters, 2 more trolls is ok but Rhasta and Bat are dogshit heroes so you are just getting them for the bonus, Assassins are fine, just random good units/synergies is fine.

The strength of this strategy is you only need 3/9 warriors and 3/6 warlocks so even with terrible RNG you should be able to get a playable (if suboptimal team). The only really key piece is troll, if you can't get him to lvl 2 at a reasonable time you'll probably get stuck finishing 2/3.

Rounds 1-3: Get 2 mechs / 3 goblins. Timber > Clock > Bounty >>> Tinker. Mech and goblin bonuses are broken early and will win you your first couple rounds after the creeps.

Rounds 4-10: Push for winstreak and don't worry about interest yet. Get lvl 2 on your mechs if possible but don't go beyond 2 on anything but Timber (lvl 3 is a top tier endgame tank). Start picking up any warriors especially Lycan. Pick the broken earlymid 3* heroes (Veno/SF/WR) and put them in, get them to 2 if possible. Start subbing out the mechs.

Rounds 10-20: Get your interest up to 50 (without losing your winstreak if possible). Get your core of 3 + 3 in. Only reroll if you have 2+ units that will immediately level up if you find another.

Rounds 20-30: Keep interest up, replace your midgame placeholders. Check your strong opponents to see what direction you need to go with your utility units. Stack all your damage items on Troll once you get him.

Rounds 30-40: Push to 10 don't be afraid to burn through some of your interest gold. Start getting in your 5* units and hopefully levelling them up. Reroll as needed to win.

Rounds 40-50: If you still have living opponents its up to you to figure out what comp / positioning is going to win from there.

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 31, 2019

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Thanks for that, I have been clueless for my first couple games so I'll try that out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is a tip from a poo poo rear end player: Ogre Magi is probably one of the best early round units, mainly because he has a gently caress ton of HP and bloodlust is nice to pump up early anemic damage. You can also always level him up early too because almost everyone I've seen beelines goblin mechs or warriors so he will probably pop up in the pool a lot.

Just don't get endlessly baited (like I do) into believing Mage-centric is a good late game because it is a path towards heartbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Here is a tip from a poo poo rear end player: Ogre Magi is probably one of the best early round units, mainly because he has a gently caress ton of HP and bloodlust is nice to pump up early anemic damage. You can also always level him up early too because almost everyone I've seen beelines goblin mechs or warriors so he will probably pop up in the pool a lot.

Just don't get endlessly baited (like I do) into believing Mage-centric is a good late game because it is a path towards heartbreak.

I think the secret with mages is you need to hit 3 without taking lovely ones like Crystal Maiden or Lina so like Ogre Magi, Puck and Razor? I'm not convinced Puck is good.On top of that you need heroes with aoe magical damage that'll tank long enough for things to go off. Good luck.