Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Early on Squadrons are now. I think there's some brief period between 50-60 where PotD reemerges but then once you hit 61 it's SB dungeons or bust.

Good to know! Unrelated, but how many people are needed to get through Binding Coil normal these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Depends on the encounter. I can more or less comfortably solo T1-5 as a i340 tank, haven't tried anything past that yet. I imagine you wouldn't face many problems if you take 2-3 people to the ones after that, especially if you have a healer on board. On a few occasions, you'll want more than a certain number of people for mechanics (i imagine you need at least 3 people on T9 for the golems).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

3 is the sweet spot i think
most can be done with 1 or 2, 8 i think you need to slightly line up some burst to skip ballistic missile, on 9 the ice can kill you with 3 so you really want to burst her down post heavensfall but it's not like you need them before then

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What's the optimal squadron grinding build/dungeon?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Blockhouse posted:

What's the optimal squadron grinding build/dungeon?

Used to be Marauder tank (if you are not tanking yourself) and then two archers and healer. I think archers got nerfed again with the patch and so now other ranged might be comparable? I don't know most people were bitching that squadrons were completely useless now instead of doing the math on what's the best

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

asynchrony posted:

That'd be 4.3 right?

Is Eureka going to be released before that?
I think I read 4 to 6 weeks, between the big patches, but maybe it was just rumours.

I think the 4.2 patch notes specifically mentioned Eureka for 4.25, but we’ve been hearing ‘It’s coming’ for Eureka since 4.05. At this point I wouldn’t believe anything officially posted about Eureka’s status until the patch notes for the patch AFTER Eureka comes out.

Midnightghoul posted:

Used to be Marauder tank (if you are not tanking yourself) and then two archers and healer. I think archers got nerfed again with the patch and so now other ranged might be comparable? I don't know most people were bitching that squadrons were completely useless now instead of doing the math on what's the best

Squads are more then fine for leveling content. It’s just that it turns out the squads are completely inept at most of the 50 dungeons and any nerf to them at that point is going to make it that much harder to get a squad to brute force through any of those dungeons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's this about Squadrons for xp?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zerilan posted:

What's this about Squadrons for xp?

Your GC adventurer squadron can now go with you into an old dungeon and run it with you. They're really good.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think Archers are still the best squad DPS. They don't do Barrage every GCD anymore but they still use it every 3 or 4 GCDs so they do pretty great damage.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why is fishing so relaxing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sarrisan posted:

Stop ruining my buff alignment 😡

:cripes: Spear hasn't been cooldown reduction for over six months....

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
When did they add the little marker for your next job quest underneath the marker for your next main scenario quest? I'm happy it's there because it is incredibly helpful and good.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:cripes: Spear hasn't been cooldown reduction for over six months....

no, i meant arrow changing where b4b/ds and jumps, etc show up in my rotation. it was sarcasm mostly. dragoon does have a very finely honed rotation that is very finely tuned to your gcd speed, mind you, though arrow is a dps increase regardless.

still prefer a spear or a balance.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Friend posted:

You got Holy Linen from a Gazelleskin Map? You should put it on the Market Board! You can make 2 million gil by selling it!

Market Board posted:

-continues to under cut the price, having dropped by 600,000 gil-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ28FcRePAo

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://twitter.com/akh_morn/status/963444937726537728
Not sure if posted in here before, but I don't care.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there any purpose to moving your retainers to different cities? Like mine are 'selling in the Ul'dah markets' but those all seem to be cross-shared anyway.

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles

Nessus posted:

Is there any purpose to moving your retainers to different cities? Like mine are 'selling in the Ul'dah markets' but those all seem to be cross-shared anyway.

People buying from a marketboard in a different city from where your retainer is will pay tax.
I moved my retainers to Kugane, since I think it's free anyway.
I don't think many buyers realize/care tho

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your GC adventurer squadron can now go with you into an old dungeon and run it with you. They're really good.

Tried this out taking my level 31 paladin through totorak, then brayflox. XP was real good but the npc conjurer really loves to wait until you're at the last second of life to land a heal.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nessus posted:

Usually you pay 5% from whatever you sell as a tax. Some city-states have lower tax rates (3%), so you will keep more gil from your sales if you locate your retainer to those markets. Tax rates can be checked at retainer vocates.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

You also get charged an extra fee when buying from a retainer that isn't in the city state your character is in. Since people mostly seem to hang around in Limsa and Kugane putting your retainers there might help you sell something over someone's retainer in a less popular city if the prices are otherwise the same.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Is there a good way to level your crafters 60-70 yet?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Money + collectables.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

why is fishing so relaxing

Actually, fishing is an extremely frustrating experience where I am constantly screaming at my monitor in anger but I can't stop doing it anyway. Maybe you've never tried to catch the Sky Butterfly before, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bobfly posted:

Is there a good way to level your crafters 60-70 yet?

if you're not desperate, YoshiP confirmed the next beast tribes are crafter focused so 4.3 is easy crafter time, in however many months that is from now

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
3 months between major patches.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are a bunch of cheap leves for 60-70.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you can't make your own leve turn-ins, store bought is fine.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I recognize this and appreciate you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yep, it does take a while with normals but it works. Just look for whichever happens to be the most economical turn-in (for example, shields usually cost way less than other vendor equipment of the same ilvl) and spam that one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

Yep, it does take a while with normals but it works. Just look for whichever happens to be the most economical turn-in (for example, shields usually cost way less than other vendor equipment of the same ilvl) and spam that one.

No, buying from NPCs is a fool's game.

I was talking about stuff like lumber, leather, cloth, ingots, and so forth. The processed raw materials, you can buy those off the AH in stacks on stacks because of stupid undercutters, especially when some rear end in a top hat lists a stack of HQ under the price of the lowest NQ.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 18, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zerilan posted:

Tried this out taking my level 31 paladin through totorak, then brayflox. XP was real good but the npc conjurer really loves to wait until you're at the last second of life to land a heal.

When you first start and all your adventurers are still green, they're less good. However, that conjurer was dpsing like a mofo before they healed you. The NPC healers usually do a pretty good job.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

When you first start and all your adventurers are still green, they're less good. However, that conjurer was dpsing like a mofo before they healed you. The NPC healers usually do a pretty good job.

I never, ever noticed a conjurer squadmate actually dpsing anything in the moments before I die. Usually they're busying themselves with an Esuna they didn't need to cast or they're staring at the back of my skull like they spotted a big hairy spider. I learned pretty quickly that the key to a smooth squad dungeon run as a gladiator was to avoid tanking whenever possible because my archer squadmates are way more sturdy than I will ever be.

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I was talking about stuff like lumber, leather, cloth, ingots, and so forth. The processed raw materials, you can buy those off the AH in stacks on stacks because of stupid undercutters, especially when some rear end in a top hat lists a stack of HQ under the price of the lowest NQ.

The AH in FFXIV seemed so broken compared to what I was used to MMOs a long time ago (well, FFXI).
Is everyone in FFXIV filthy rich at this point? I couldn't even figure out how to make money other than playing the AH, which made me feel like I was making pennies on a billionaire's world where nobody cared about losing a million gil in glamour prisms.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

asynchrony posted:

The AH in FFXIV seemed so broken compared to what I was used to MMOs a long time ago (well, FFXI).

:gonk:

Yeah, paying 25 million Gil for equipment from three expansions back is a sign of a healthy economy

Anyway, making money in XIV is just... doing things. Turning in quests and running roulettes is more than enough to fund your teleports, EXP food, and gear upgrades. At level cap you can do map runs with people for 500k or so minimum (with the usual setup of 8 people bringing two maps each).

edit: I have new screenshots I haven't shared!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 18, 2018

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yes and no. The economy in ffxiv as a whole is weird. There is no real money sink in the game other than glamours, housing, and crafting. This means that most people just passively accumulate money as they sell off the high level drops that fuel the three major gill sinks, until they make a series of large purchases themselves. The availability of items for those large purchases is limited though, due to the artificial scarcity of housing, the effort of leveling and gearing crafters, and taste in fashion. This means that players who have achieved their realistic goals end up with large nest eggs that passively build up between patches.

Most players aren't rich enough to buy a house from a reseller, but they are rich enough to more or less ignore the price of whatever piece of leveling gear they want, while a newer player on their first class has no hope of affording the crazy prices of HQ leveling gear.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm still really jealous that only females can use that DRK pose. I like it better than the Cloud pose.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
does anyone have the link to that "watch before doing coil" youtube video? the one that talks about project meteor and Nael van Darnus with all the 1.x footage?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I'm still really jealous that only females can use that DRK pose. I like it better than the Cloud pose.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I'll trade you for the male samurai pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Eh, if you have lots of money and don't care how long it takes to get all your crafters to 70, store bought is fine.

But yeah, for the initial crafted mats like lumber and cloth always check the MB because sometimes people will cut them down so low that you actually turn a profit by handing them over to the leve NPC.