Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oliwan posted:

My Prenzlauer-bionade-daddy-colleague did a whole speech about climate change yesterday and then became super irritated when I told him that non of his bio poo poo makes any difference to the environment and that he should go vegan if he really cares lol

Don't know about the speech but lifestylism is a narcissistic dead end to solving the problem of climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Don't know about the speech but lifestylism is a narcissistic dead end to solving the problem of climate change.

What is the solution? If agriculture, housing, travel, and consumer goods not count what's even fuckin left?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

aphid_licker posted:

What is the solution? If agriculture, housing, travel, and consumer goods not count what's even fuckin left?

Gotta change the systems, the methods of production and infrastructure. It's a political question, not a question of individual consumer choices. The major contributors to climate change are not things most people have the buying power to opt out of, and the limited extent to which people can buy 'bio' this or 'green' that is, for all practical purposes, buying into a marketing scheme rather than doing something that will solve any problems.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The same is true of veganism, of course. Absolving your personal contribution to climate change along that narrow vector is ultimately a pointless gesture for which some people feel an unwarranted sense of pride. That being said, it's perfectly fine if people choose to eat vegan or whatever, they just need to not kid themselves that modifying their personal lifestyle is a sufficient answer to the problem.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

aphid_licker posted:

Even if all of berlin or even all the other major urban centres went vegan overnight,e very fuckin Rastätte would sell tons of meat and the butcheries woudl still export it, etc.

so yes, Mr.Lobe was faster than me, just standing here and nodding sagely

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Its not rocket science. Get a master's degree in physics, chemistry or biology and then publish in the fields of bioengineering, renewable energy, carbon sequestration, etc.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Its not rocket science. Get a master's degree in physics, chemistry or biology and then publish in the fields of bioengineering, renewable energy, carbon sequestration, etc.

I agree that new technology may mitigate some of the consequences of climate change and provide more effective alternatives to existing industrial practices. However, I think it is a bad idea to assume that geoengineering is, initself, the solution to this problem.

The issue is that there are very powerful people who are making money off of the things that are destroying this world, and they are the ones who actually control the infrastructure of things like the production of fossil fuels or the methods of industrial agriculture. As long as private industry makes these decisions, we are at their mercy. One way or another, their ability to make these far-reaching decisions must be wrested from them if we seriously want to fight the causes of climate change.

I don't see that happening in the absence of a global grass-roots movement forcing these kinds of policies and practices into place with pressure from below. But I hope that as the material consequences of climate change become more obvious, that kind of a movement will become stronger and more focused. After all, when people realize their lives are on the line, they are probably going to do something, right?

I just hope that will happen soon enough to make the difference.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jeez Louise, I was just joking but compared to your hopes for a global revolution that will overthrow the rule of capital my plan looks like good and proper advice

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
And, very importantly: not have kids!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Doesn't have to be revolution, but the idea that we can count on major changes in infrastructure to happen without at least people marching in the streets seems unlikely to me. It's a very big and very bad problem.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean I'm not disagreeing that some good and proper guillotining is in order but major changes to infrastructure happen all the time under free markets system and that's not even remotely controversial

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I mean I'm not disagreeing that some good and proper guillotining is in order but major changes to infrastructure happen all the time under free markets system and that's not even remotely controversial

Maybe it can change, but do you want to bank on it happening while the people in charge of these industries can do as they please?

... Regardless, sorry for going off on a screed. That climate report from the UN a couple of weeks has put me seriously on edge

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Okay, now what?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oliwan posted:

A lifestylist AND a neo-Malthusian? Geez

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Okay, now what?

Invent cold fusion. Go on now, chop chop. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Invent cold fusion. Go on now, chop chop. :colbert:
Wrong field but I'll be spending the winter in Sweden so SOMETHING is bound to happen re: cold

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gotta change the systems, the methods of production and infrastructure. It's a political question, not a question of individual consumer choices. The major contributors to climate change are not things most people have the buying power to opt out of, and the limited extent to which people can buy 'bio' this or 'green' that is, for all practical purposes, buying into a marketing scheme rather than doing something that will solve any problems.

You can save the equivalent of the yearly carbon output of an african by just making a different vacation destination choice, and save another decent chunk of carbon, water, and land by reducing your meat consumption from the average German level to the level recommended by doctors. And you doing so increases the pressures on the infrastructure and other members of your social group to adapt. These are the lowest-hanging of fruit, with literally zero downside to anyone, why wouldn't you pick them?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

aphid_licker posted:

You can save the equivalent of the yearly carbon output of an african by just making a different vacation destination choice, and save another decent chunk of carbon, water, and land by reducing your meat consumption from the average German level to the level recommended by doctors. And you doing so increases the pressures on the infrastructure and other members of your social group to adapt. These are the lowest-hanging of fruit, with literally zero downside to anyone, why wouldn't you pick them?

By all means, do those things. But don't kid yourself that your lifestyle choices are enough to fix the problem, or that the problem is one that can be fixed by voluntary lifestyle choices. Like sonic sez...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Okay, now what?

I need a new type of microorganism that will make carbon capture from the atmosphere economically viable

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I need a new type of microorganism that will make carbon capture from the atmosphere economically viable
It's algae, eat algae

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Eat the rich

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yesterday, I dusted off an old hard-drive of mine to find some Unterlagen I had scanned in 05/06 or so, and I got lost browsing around tons of other poo poo I had filed away, like blacklists for Nazi band shirts, IFF Taschenkarten for cryptic symbols / tattoos / runes and stuff, and some of the links to band pages / youtube accounts still worked.

Then I was bummed that in the Blindes-Huhn-Findet-Auch-Mal-Ein-Korn-scenario that a Rechtsrock band actually comes up with a catchy riff or melody among all the lovely racist trash music, you'd never be able to listen to it because of the lyrics.

Then a business idea dawned on me. Get some talented DJ / sound engineer and a band of chill folks to re-record indizierte Nazi hits with anti-Nazi lyrics or hebrew folklore songs, donate their proceeds to nonprofits for the Opfer rechter Gewalt, and then laugh even more at the bands because they can't sue you.
So naturally, I came to this Faden immediately for legal advice: Do bands whose songs are indiziert or straight-up verboten have any legal recourse based on copyright-infringement arguments? Because it would be very funny if not.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So naturally, I came to this Faden immediately for legal advice: Do bands whose songs are indiziert or straight-up verboten have any legal recourse based on copyright-infringement arguments? Because it would be very funny if not.

Yes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
:(

az
Dec 2, 2005

do it, no balls

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Perhaps it might fall under satire/parody? :shrug:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps it might fall under satire/parody? :shrug:

No.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

I agree, everybody should become old as a society, an older electorate is known to support reasonable, well-thought, far-reaching reforms towards a better future

Alternate answer: ok, you first

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I agree, everybody should become old as a society, an older electorate is known to support reasonable, well-thought, far-reaching reforms towards a better future

Alternate answer: ok, you first

The whole point is that there is no future if we don't have kids op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

A lifestylist AND a neo-Malthusian? Geez

I don't know what any of this means, but if it means vegan childless anti-capitalist ur right

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oliwan posted:

I don't know what any of this means, but if it means vegan childless anti-capitalist ur right

Well, if you're a principled anti-capitalist, consider reading up on how arguing people shouldn't have kids echoes the sentiments of one of the more vicious ideological strains to come out of 19th century capitalist thinking, the ideas Thomas "too many poors" Malthus.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

Well, if you're a principled anti-capitalist, consider reading up on how arguing people shouldn't have kids echoes the sentiments of one of the more vicious ideological strains to come out of 19th century capitalist thinking, the ideas Thomas "too many poors" Malthus.

Thanks for the link op, but if you seriously want to use this as an argument against being childless its on the same level as "vegetarians are evil because Hitler was a vegetarian"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oliwan posted:

Thanks for the link op, but if you seriously want to use this as an argument against being childless its on the same level as "vegetarians are evil because Hitler was a vegetarian"

Hitler's vegetarianism isn't part of what made him bad. Malthus's anti-natalism is part of what made him bad. And the things that made Malthus's antinatalism bad are the things that also generally make anti-natalism bad, including in its modern rebirth in some environmental thinking. Also it's ineffective as a political strategy be anti-natalist if you actually want to win. (it is important to remember, and not hard to forget, that we actually want to win) The article explains why, and more.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 17, 2018

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hitler's vegetarianism isn't part of what made him bad. Malthus's anti-natalism is part of what made him bad. And the things that made Malthus's antinatalism bad are the things that also generally make anti-natalism bad, including in its modern rebirth in some environmental thinking. Also it's ineffective as a political strategy be anti-natalist if you actually want to win. (you do want to win, right?) The article explains why, and more.

I'm not even an anti-natalist, but sorry, this argument is dumb.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Communism is bad because of Stalin lol, thats the level of that argument

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

*putting on d&d cap (it's a dunce cap)* IMO "anti-natalism" should be reserved for people like me who think that no one at all should procreate, i.e. we should be the last generation of humans, i.e. full human extinction now within whatever the life expectancy of the last human born will turn out to be. It's not supposed to be a political argument or strategy or to be about how there's too many poors, it's supposed to be "I told you I was hardcore" at the species level

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Being a Swiss Dutch is apparently scrambling both the brains of the debatee and debater.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oliwan posted:

Communism is bad because of Stalin lol, thats the level of that argument

Malthus was factually incorrect in identifying the cause of starvation being people having too many kids. I guess you're not anti-natalist, but there are people who do say that the real solution to climate change is no more kids. Those people are also wrong, and for reasons that overlap with why Malthus was wrong. This is what I am trying to say, I do not think I am communicating it well, and as a mercy to myself and this thread, I am going to stop trying now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Can you imagine a world without humans?

(not an environmentalist argument; also i missed a couple of spots but you get the idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Smirr posted:

Can you imagine a world without humans?

(not an environmentalist argument; also i missed a couple of spots but you get the idea)

that is extremely good, but I think it might be more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc