Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The robotic goddess is displaying more emotion than the character with literal fire in her heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

The robotic goddess is displaying more emotion than the character with literal fire in her heart.

The best bit of story-telling: comparison and contrast between two characters that you know mean a lot to the plot, the cast, and to themselves in how they normally are, and then things going horribly wrong.

Now, the problem that no one addressed here is that she most likely handed ownership of Renard over to Tony while she was still in shock in that classroom. Thats the one obvious way to weasel out a "no, we did everything by the rules, as per stated in this contract ansasdfkdfjdakldjfaklm" technicality.

You ever get that feeling where you know that you, and so many other people are hoping for something to happen to make something terrible turn into something amazing? Going to assume everyone here in the thread is having a bit of that right now.

And now, we fight Bone and Fire with Steel and Electricity. Place your bets on who will take the first -defensive- action when the fighting starts?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Faust IX posted:

Now, the problem that no one addressed here is that she most likely handed ownership of Renard over to Tony while she was still in shock in that classroom. Thats the one obvious way to weasel out a "no, we did everything by the rules, as per stated in this contract ansasdfkdfjdakldjfaklm" technicality.
Nah, he's quiet because she told him to be. If Renard could be screaming right now he would. Annie's still his boss.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Reynard, trapped in a useless, paralysed body, frantic with horror at the torments that he KNOWS Anthony has in store for him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone want to find the page of how Annie reacted when some not-her-father asked her to hand over Rey?

Just for comparison.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyone want to find the page of how Annie reacted when some not-her-father asked her to hand over Rey?

Just for comparison.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1148
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1155

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Just for comparison.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=108

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Taking the murderous fox spirit who wanted to gently caress your wife and kill your daughter away is the correct choice of action, Anthony did nothing wrong.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I really want Kat to steal him here. Even if it doesn't immediately break the contract, at least he'll be away from Anthony.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

flatluigi posted:

I'm glad this thread has gone to apologizing for an abusive parent to blaming the victim of the abuse, it's a good look

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ditocoaf posted:

Remember, THIS was her actual reaction to being given this order. She is very much NOT okay with the transfer, despite how it appears on this page. She is just utterly incapable of disobeying her father, in a way that's actually extremely terrifying. She reacts to her father with complete emotional shutdown and wide-eyed obedience, even for an instruction she's opposed to as much as she possibly could be. It's why some people have wacky mind control theories going on, though it's probably more about pure psychological terribleness.

At this point, I'm seriously wondering. What if that etheric surgery from Divine was some sort of elemental-binding ritual? What if Zimmy didn't destroy the bone spears, but merely broke them off from their source (ie, by taking off a big chunk of Anthony's right arm)? What if they're still there, and Anthony lost his 'ethernet' but can still assert manual control? :tinfoil:

Ugh. Now I'm having some deeply-unpleasant thoughts about what Surma might have 'seen' in him.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Wow Monday sure is a long way away

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Reynard's body gets destroyed... and the only thing in the room with eyes that isn't a person is a potato. Taterdine.

He can shift between being a russet potato, a sweet potato, a red potato or a fingerling.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ofaloaf posted:

and defends the wood while the official medium is now working for the court

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

"Annie isn't afraid to tell an adult what she thinks."

Now we know there's an exception :(

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thank you for posting these. As usual I got distracted and kept reading, which got me to the Cityface interlude and reminded me that despite my university's best efforts to keep people from drawing stuff on instructor evals by moving to a internet system that I can still cram ASCII pictures into comment fields.

code:
...|------|.................
...|..|...|.................
..<|......|..................
...|......|................
...|........\..............
...|......|....\...........
...|......|.......\.........
...|......|..........\........
...|-------------------\.....
.........\.....\....................
........./...../....................
.......--....--......................

...|-------|............................
...|.|..|..|...........................
...|..<>...|...............................
...|.......|...........................
...|.........\...........................
...|.......|....\......................
...|.......|.......\....................
...|.......|..........\................
...|--------------------\...........
........\.....\.........................
......../...../..........................
......--.....--.........................
:greencube:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

To be fair Annie is also showing her Surma side here, when it comes to being an rear end in a top hat to Renard.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

IMO Anthony is acting very believably as the kind of person who would send his child to a prestigious boarding school. He checks in on her and finds her taking part in all sorts of foolishness with supernatural fox demons and trickster gods and magical forest creatures instead of focusing on her studies? Well, that simply won't do. It is not sensible in the slightest. Cut that nonsense out right now, young lady, fix your hair, and start being serious about your life. He paid a lot of money for you to be there and he'll be damned if you're spending his investment fooling around with your animal friends. :colbert:

He's every parent from Dead Poets Society basically. This is not a good thing to be, or a good style of parenting, but it's a bit soon to parse him as a literal child abuser.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

loquacius posted:

He's every parent from Dead Poets Society basically. This is not a good thing to be, or a good style of parenting, but it's a bit soon to parse him as a literal child abuser.

I thought the point of Dead Poets Society was that in cutting off the kid's creative outlet they WERE literal child abusers

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Why do some people assume Anthony will use his control over Renard to torture him? Seems like a bit of a leap to me. Turning over control of Renard is an awful thing to do to the guy, for sure, but not because Anthony is some sadist who will unleash unspeakable cruelties upon him.

Also, I'm not blaming Antimony here. Anthony has used his authority and Antimony's love for him to emotionally bludgeon her into submission. No blame, but it's still a terrible thing to do. Poor Rey.

Edit: I was going to say that it's probably pointless to argue with people who think this behavior isn't abusive. There are some people who don't think the Dursleys are abusive. But gently caress that. This is abuse. If it doesn't seem like it to you, well, not recognizing abuse in real life is a problem too. Maybe read up on it?

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 17, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, those parents were totally abusive.

People really need to understand that having motives for your actions other than "ho ho ho I am evil" doesn't make you not abusive.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wittgen posted:

Why do some people assume Anthony will use his control over Renard to torture him? Seems like a bit of a leap to me. Turning over control of Renard is an awful thing to do to the guy, for sure, but not because Anthony is some sadist who will unleash unspeakable cruelties upon him.

Also, I'm not blaming Antimony here. Anthony has used his authority and Antimony's love for him to emotionally bludgeon her into submission. No blame, but it's still a terrible thing to do. Poor Rey.

Something like half the thread here assumes Anthony is a sadist acting out of malice or that he shows his love by torture and abuse.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I find stories much more interesting when I don't try to fit them into the textbook framework from my campus abuse seminar :shrug: Just sit back and let the characters play it out.

That said it's not exactly a bad fit here.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If only there was a clear, in-comic visual of anthony stabbing annie's literal soul and putting her into the hospital with no warning and making everyone around her fear for her life. then it'd be unambiguous that anthony is being abusive, right

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wittgen posted:

Because iirc, the last interaction he had with Rey was watching him kill two people while traumatizing his future wife. Keep in mind everyone else was still loving pissed at him after he jumped ship for Annie's doll. It took a long time before anyone really started to trust him.

Anthony literally just showed up. He hasn't had any experience with Rey since then. To him, Rey is still a murderous stalker who obsesses over his wife.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Anthony remotely performed some form of etheric surgery on his own daughter, that put her in a coma, without her knowledge or consent. Though we don't know anything yet about his intentions towards Renard, it's clear he'd have no inhibitions about harming Renard if he thought it necessary.

YF-23 posted:

Something like half the thread here assumes Anthony is a sadist acting out of malice or that he shows his love by torture and abuse.

Are there? Where are they doing that?

I'd like it if you'd point it out.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Moddington posted:

Are there? Where are they doing that?

I'd like it if you'd point it out.

I used the word monster once!

Plenty of humans are monstrous despite being people with understandable motivations but it was a bridge too far for the thread.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

YF-23 posted:

A reply like this after pages upon pages of explicit statements that Anthonys actions might have understandable motivations yet still be uncondonable. Have you people caught on to the fact that YF-23 isn't arguing in good faith yet? Just put him on ignore and stop driving the thread in circles.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It hasn't explicitly been made clear what would happen if Reynard was taken from Annie by force, because I don't think they really know. They assume it would break her contract with him, but I'm just going to guess that, at least initially, Reynard would be treated as belonging to Annie, even if he's still in someone else's possession. Any orders he's acting under from Annie would stick. Maybe if Annie is incapable of reclaiming her property after a certain period of time, the contract might break, but if Kat stole Reynard now I expect he'll be stuck as a doll until Annie says otherwise.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I feel that for a trickster god, theft is a totally legit form of ownership transference.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

flatluigi posted:

If only there was a clear, in-comic visual of anthony stabbing annie's literal soul and putting her into the hospital with no warning and making everyone around her fear for her life. then it'd be unambiguous that anthony is being abusive, right

Ambiguity was present in that chapter.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Male Man posted:

I feel that for a trickster god, theft is a totally legit form of ownership transference.

Only once you've signed the necessary forms in triplicate!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's not like some character's going to walk in and say, "Anthony Carver, you are a child abuser!" which will cause Anthony to yell "No!" and vanish back to the fifth dimension.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, those parents were totally abusive.

People really need to understand that having motives for your actions other than "ho ho ho I am evil" doesn't make you not abusive.

You berate and scream at your kid to the point he kills himself in direct response to your actions and not any underlying or external cause, I'm on pretty solid footing when I say you were abusive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Listen, Anthony just has Annie's best interests in mind, her being gay part fire elemental isn't natural, so they just need to pray it away surgically remove that part of her. She'll thank him for it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Annie is gay and the fire spirit is AIDS.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Being gay isn't an early death sentence that ensures your children will be orphans.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Cruel and Unusual posted:

It's not like some character's going to walk in and say, "Anthony Carver, you are a child abuser!" which will cause Anthony to yell "No!" and vanish back to the fifth dimension.

Well, of course not! They have to trick him into saying "Revac Ynohtna."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Being gay isn't an early death sentence that ensures your children will be orphans.
Regardless, it's what Annie is, and he objects to that and wants to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Well, of course not! They have to trick him into saying "Revac Ynohtna."
Good, send Anthony Caver back where he belongs.