Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
So I've finally gotten off my rear end and started work on the CBR. I think I'd mentioned it a while back in this thread but it's a 96 600F3 with relatively low mileage (<10k) that was picked up from a friend (noted AI tofu enthusiast TheLarson) last summer. He'd done a lot of restoration work and it ran great up until early last fall. Started to develop a minor stumble and annoyingly high idle combined with a tendency to die if you rolled on the throttle too quickly. So instead of doing the logical thing and cleaning the carbs I decided to go and have surgery and spend far too long recovering. Cut to today. The bike won't start and I suspect it's fouled carbs given the track it was on when last it ran and the bike having sat for much of the winter.

I've finally started tearing into the drat thing and despite the ritual cursing and bloodletting to appease the angry biek gods I cannot get the carbs free of the actual bike. The screws on the boot clamps are loose (an adventure unto itself) but no amount of wiggling or yanking seems to budge them from the head. Anyone who's done similar found any tricks to getting them free?

On a related note, when I pulled the tank and took the fuel line off of the petcock, I noticed that even when set to the "off" position it still was dribbling fuel at a nontrivial rate. I thought it was residual but it kept on going until I tilted the tank. Is that normal? I ended up throwing on some tubing I had laying around and draining the tank to a gas can so it's workable for the moment. This is my first time dealing with a petcock style setup (other bike is FI) and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something doing what it shouldn't and/or if I should tack a new petcock onto this bikebandit order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The_Maz posted:

So I've finally gotten off my rear end and started work on the CBR. I think I'd mentioned it a while back in this thread but it's a 96 600F3 with relatively low mileage (<10k) that was picked up from a friend (noted AI tofu enthusiast TheLarson) last summer. He'd done a lot of restoration work and it ran great up until early last fall. Started to develop a minor stumble and annoyingly high idle combined with a tendency to die if you rolled on the throttle too quickly. So instead of doing the logical thing and cleaning the carbs I decided to go and have surgery and spend far too long recovering. Cut to today. The bike won't start and I suspect it's fouled carbs given the track it was on when last it ran and the bike having sat for much of the winter.

I've finally started tearing into the drat thing and despite the ritual cursing and bloodletting to appease the angry biek gods I cannot get the carbs free of the actual bike. The screws on the boot clamps are loose (an adventure unto itself) but no amount of wiggling or yanking seems to budge them from the head. Anyone who's done similar found any tricks to getting them free?

On a related note, when I pulled the tank and took the fuel line off of the petcock, I noticed that even when set to the "off" position it still was dribbling fuel at a nontrivial rate. I thought it was residual but it kept on going until I tilted the tank. Is that normal? I ended up throwing on some tubing I had laying around and draining the tank to a gas can so it's workable for the moment. This is my first time dealing with a petcock style setup (other bike is FI) and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something doing what it shouldn't and/or if I should tack a new petcock onto this bikebandit order.

Those can be a bitch to break loose. It's better when they're hot. I used my wife's hair dryer and a crowbar once back when I had a cbr. If it was able to start, you could just warm the bike up and they'd come right off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I had to crowbar mine off too - just be really careful with what you pry on.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

M42 posted:

P.S. The eibach website seems to only have springs for dirtbikes, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/SV650%20A,%20S,%20SA/2003-09

Click on the link to see what spring rates they suggest - also I have no idea which Suzuki you own so I assumed it was an SV650 A, S, SA, whatever. Also RaceTech makes some great emulators as well, apparently, though I've never installed them myself. Give it a shot if you have the cash, just keep the old springs when swapping them out in case you want to sell the bike.

Ripping apart the forks is pretty easy, the only thing you might need is a tool to get the caps open but otherwise than that it's smooth sailing from there. Just remember to buy the correct weight fork oil and replace it while you're in there.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hello motorcycle discussion thread. I have a question about motorcycles.

The gently caress is that oily rear end black box attached to the valve cover and cylinder called? Also, should I superglue a can of Shiner Bock to my rear shock reservoir? Thanks in advance!

e: No it doesn't just sit on my exhaust melting every time I turn the bike on. I took the bolt out so I could fiddle with throttle cables a bit more easily.
And my valve cover gasket isn't leaking, it's new. I checked the valves a bit ago and still really need to clean my bike.

VV Dude, it's a thousand times easier to just crack open your drain bolt for half a second.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 27, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It looks like it would be a bitch to get a bit of oil out as there is poo poo in the way right where the oil goes in (clutch, perhaps, I haven't looked closely) so a turkey baster ain't gunna go the job.

Realised after posting this that I can remove oil from the dipstick hole, LOL. :doh: Might get a syringe and remove some then.

Z3n, I think that dude ships overseas sans CO2 cartridges, you could get some from him assuming you like it enough to do that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Hello motorcycle discussion thread. I have a question about motorcycles.

The gently caress is that oily rear end black box attached to the valve cover and cylinder called? Also, should I superglue a can of Shiner Bock to my rear shock reservoir? Thanks in advance!

e: No it doesn't just sit on my exhaust melting every time I turn the bike on. I took the bolt out so I could fiddle with throttle cables a bit more easily.
And my valve cover gasket isn't leaking, it's new. I checked the valves a bit ago and still really need to clean my bike.

VV Dude, it's a thousand times easier to just crack open your drain bolt for half a second.

That looks like an oil separator for the PCV. I'll bet it has other pipes on it that feed into the airbox and a drainer thingy for any oil that builds up. It stops blowby from your rooted piston rings dumping oil straight into the intake by half-assedly separating the air using the magic of vortices and injection moulded plastic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Realised after posting this that I can remove oil from the dipstick hole, LOL. :doh: Might get a syringe and remove some then.

Z3n, I think that dude ships overseas sans CO2 cartridges, you could get some from him assuming you like it enough to do that?

Yeah - I just need to have enough money to drop 100 bucks on it. :( Would also want to get a pile of spares, just in case.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Thanks for the carb removal advice. I have a heat gun and a pry bar so I know what must be done. Any thoughts on the petcock issue I mentioned? Or am I just being :tinfoil: ?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ripoff posted:

Ripping apart the forks is pretty easy,
I don't want everyone to think I'm discouraging home repairs here, because that's how I learned to fix bikes -- and I especially don't want everyone to think I'm trying to discourage a girl from doing it, because I think it would be great if a lot more girls were into this poo poo, it's far too one-sided a hobby right now -- but I see a lot of posts like this here that are really misleading and as a mechanic it frustrates me and makes me nervous.

You wanna fix at home and learn how it all works, that's great, I did that, I often bit off more than I could chew, and I've rebuilt the same transmission 3 times. I did it and I wouldn't tell anyone else not to do it but I would never tell anyone it was easy. Same goes for adjusting valves on a water cooled DOHC engine, modifying triple trees to bolt different bars on, and pulling apart inverted forks. None of that stuff is a piece of cake, and in fact all of it requires some specialized knowledge/tools to avoid serious problems. Even adjusting a chain may be simple and straightforward, but is also easy to screw up and can have serious consequences. Again, not saying "don't do it," just saying be aware what kind of a project you're getting into.

DIY enthusiasm ought not to trump honest realism here. Not everything in the world is easy just because you're willing to try it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

I'm riding from DC to NYC (manhattan) early sept. Advice on cool routes/twisties to take? Would like to avoid highway/most tolls.

Yeah this is basically me on any suspension

P.S. The eibach website seems to only have springs for dirtbikes, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Tappan Zee to third avenue bridge is the cheapest way to get into manhattan and the palisades is a pretty nice road, but I'd just suck it up and pay for the GW and then you get westside highway or FDR depending on where in Manhattan you're going. Either of those is pretty nice (you can wake up at like 5 AM and drive around the outside of manhattan because nobody else is on the road then and that's pretty nice). I don't think there's a way to get into Manhattan without paying any tolls at all. Make sure you have EZ pass, too. If it doesn't work on your bike you can just go around the bar but usually it works.

Two other things - first, be careful of taxis - they fall into two camps 1. literally actively trying to kill you, and 2. super considerate best drivers ever. It is very difficult to tell the difference until one decides "this lane, it is my lane now." Second, drive up park avenue northbound and take the tunnel through grand central, it's neat.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The_Maz posted:

Thanks for the carb removal advice. I have a heat gun and a pry bar so I know what must be done. Any thoughts on the petcock issue I mentioned? Or am I just being :tinfoil: ?

Sorry, missed addressing that last night. Mine started doing that, too. It's not normal, and you should look into getting a replacement petcock. The fuel dribbling probably contributed to the carbs gunking up. The guy that picked up my bike after me replaced it, so I don't know how difficult/easy it is to do. When the petcock is working properly, it won't dribble any fuel when its in the off position.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There's a huge difference between right side up forks (just stay out of the way as it launches the fork cap into space) and inverted forks (don't even try without the right fork tools if you're doing the job solo for the first time).

I'm pretty lazy fair about folks working on their own stuff, but forks are something that I don't recommend working without googling what goes into the swap. There's a good walk through on doing inverted forks here:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38739#/forumsite/20890/topics/38739

I still farm out rear shock work because I don't have the right tools.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Doing inverted forks requires some man handling that isn't the most comfortable feeling thing in the world, especially if you've never done it before.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Anyone have any experience/input using a radar detector on a motorcycle?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

builds character posted:

Tappan Zee to third avenue bridge is the cheapest way to get into manhattan and the palisades is a pretty nice road, but I'd just suck it up and pay for the GW and then you get westside highway or FDR depending on where in Manhattan you're going. Either of those is pretty nice (you can wake up at like 5 AM and drive around the outside of manhattan because nobody else is on the road then and that's pretty nice). I don't think there's a way to get into Manhattan without paying any tolls at all. Make sure you have EZ pass, too. If it doesn't work on your bike you can just go around the bar but usually it works.

Two other things - first, be careful of taxis - they fall into two camps 1. literally actively trying to kill you, and 2. super considerate best drivers ever. It is very difficult to tell the difference until one decides "this lane, it is my lane now." Second, drive up park avenue northbound and take the tunnel through grand central, it's neat.

Thanks! My family actually lives in queens, I say manhattan out of habit. I've been there enough times to know not to go through downtown if my life depended on it. I think I can avoid all but two tolls, so it's nbd. Most of my trips up have been straight shots on 95/jersey tpke - that's what I'm looking to avoid, I would probably die of boredom doing it on a bike.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

Day Man posted:

Sorry, missed addressing that last night. Mine started doing that, too. It's not normal, and you should look into getting a replacement petcock. The fuel dribbling probably contributed to the carbs gunking up. The guy that picked up my bike after me replaced it, so I don't know how difficult/easy it is to do. When the petcock is working properly, it won't dribble any fuel when its in the off position.

Thanks for the follow up. Seems like picking up a new one would be a thing I should do. May as well get the fuel system right if I've already got this thing taken apart.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackLaser posted:

Don't? There's not enough places to hide it, and if you get caught with it (you will), you're screwed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Depends on the legality in your area. Out here, I know some folks who use them. If I were doing it, I'd be stashing it under the seat or fairing with a remote sensor and a blinking light/display on the dash. Keep it OEM looking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I still farm out rear shock work because I don't have the right tools.

I've taken USD's to bits a bunch of times - it was fiddly and somewhat awkward and I wouldn't recommend it DIY. I don't know anything about taking shocks apart though. Do you need some sort of special jig or something? Aren't they filled with pressurised gas or something?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Shimrod posted:

Don't? There's not enough places to hide it, and if you get caught with it (you will), you're screwed.
* Detectors are perfectly legal in many states.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Gillingham posted:

* Detectors are perfectly legal in many states.

Legal in all states except Virginia last I checked. I guess they can cause additional problems if you are pulled over for speeding, and some states have issues with windshield mounted items in general. I'm not one to speed excessively, but if I do go for a rip on some country roads it would be nice to know there isn't a cop up ahead. Probably easier to just pre-run the road first. Was just curious if anyone used them really. Saw this http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/gear/tpx-radar-detector and thought it was interesting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackLaser posted:

Legal in all states except Virginia last I checked. I guess they can cause additional problems if you are pulled over for speeding, and some states have issues with windshield mounted items in general. I'm not one to speed excessively, but if I do go for a rip on some country roads it would be nice to know there isn't a cop up ahead. Probably easier to just pre-run the road first. Was just curious if anyone used them really. Saw this http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/gear/tpx-radar-detector and thought it was interesting.

Bear in mind that if the cops have even vaguely up-to-date kit a radar detector won't pick them up until they're pretty much pointed straight at you (assuming they're not just using laser). Unless your brakes are so good they can make you go back in time that's not going to be much help.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It was brought up in another thread recently, but the Waze app is great for letting you know a speed trap is up ahead. It also alerts you approaching a red light/speed camera.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The Waze app is also great for encouraging drivers to gently caress with their phones whenever they see a potential road hazard and sending tons of traffic through residential neighborhoods

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Waze seems like the kind of thing people should get a ticket for using on the road.

Like.. holy gently caress put your goddamn phones down. Don't encourage this poo poo.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Waze does hands-free reporting.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Yeah Waze tells you whats on your route before you go and voices upcoming hazards/cops/speed cameras.

(I'm in Maryland so ymmv) I use a radar detector in my cars. It works amazing in the countryside because all the police keep their radar on. In the suburbs and city police use instant on's a lot more and they are harder to catch. But you'll still pick it up a couple miles away on a highway if they tag another car. With a good detector like the a Valentine One you can pick up the laser "scatter" from hitting other cars but it's still not perfect, but even my V10 has saved me from a laser ticket. There are laser jammers too if you are serious but I don't know much about them. I hear some work though.

Detectors are illegal in a lot of countries but legal in every state in the USA except for Virginia, Washington DC and on US military bases.

A radar detector on a bike would probably only be half efficient. You lose the rear antennas because your big goony body is in the way and since you are mounting it lower to the ground you'll have a harder time picking up the signals over cars. I still want to try mounting one and seeing how well it works

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What do cops aim at on a motorcyclist when they're checking speed with radar/laser guns? I wonder if you could cover that area in a RF/light absorbent/dazzling material.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shadowlz posted:

Yeah Waze tells you whats on your route before you go and voices upcoming hazards/cops/speed cameras.

(I'm in Maryland so ymmv) I use a radar detector in my cars. It works amazing in the countryside because all the police keep their radar on. In the suburbs and city police use instant on's a lot more and they are harder to catch. But you'll still pick it up a couple miles away on a highway if they tag another car. With a good detector like the a Valentine One you can pick up the laser "scatter" from hitting other cars but it's still not perfect, but even my V10 has saved me from a laser ticket. There are laser jammers too if you are serious but I don't know much about them. I hear some work though.

Detectors are illegal in a lot of countries but legal in every state in the USA except for Virginia, Washington DC and on US military bases.

A radar detector on a bike would probably only be half efficient. You lose the rear antennas because your big goony body is in the way and since you are mounting it lower to the ground you'll have a harder time picking up the signals over cars. I still want to try mounting one and seeing how well it works

Maybe figure a way to mount an antenna on your gear?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just take your plates off and go fast enough they can't catch you. Problem solved.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Radbot posted:

What do cops aim at on a motorcyclist when they're checking speed with radar/laser guns? I wonder if you could cover that area in a RF/light absorbent/dazzling material.

Your headlight.

Flikken posted:

Maybe figure a way to mount an antenna on your gear?

It would be pretty interesting. They are horn antennas. You might be better off putting the radar detector on your head.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Just take your plates off and go fast enough they can't catch you. Problem solved.

Fast enough so that the cop up ahead isn't blocking the road, or...?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your police use their radar sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic?

Interesting.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Motorolas go 186,000mi/sec.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Waze seems like the kind of thing people should get a ticket for using on the road.

Like.. holy gently caress put your goddamn phones down. Don't encourage this poo poo.

Waze + SENA = win.

You hit your phone with 3 fingers, and tell the phone what the hazard is.
Waze will also use speech to tell you whats ahead, so I almost never have to look at the map.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Your police use their radar sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic?

Interesting.

Yes, our police do block roads when other police have notified them that there's someone running from them on that road.

I just wish I had cell coverage where I normally ride, because it's littered with deputies on the weekends.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Here the police allow you to download your camera picture and directly pay online, which almost makes it fun. Here's me speeding by 5mph on a road with nothing on it:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Help me CA. My ninjette is acting weird.

Was on a short ride, maybe 30 minutes or so, running errands, when the bike suddenly started bogging HARD. It would bog, and not be able to break 6k, then all the power would come back like someone flipping a switch, then it would bog again. I had just filled up 12 miles earlier, but I flipped it to reserve out of habit, and nothing changed. For the next two miles home, it would switch between bogging and full power, with instant shifts between the two, once every 10-20 seconds. No amount of gear shifting or throttle work changed anything. As of arriving at home, it was running ok and idled perfectly.

Few things of note, I thought I had run it into reserve when I was leaving my house, because it had some power loss on a steep hill. So I went around the corner and filled up. It only took 3 gallons, which is very low for going into reserve, now that I think about it. So maybe the power weirdness was prior to the fillup. I checked to make sure I didn't put in diesel by accident or anything.

Even though the tanker truck was just starting to fill up the station as I was leaving, it's a busy station and I can't believe I would have gotten bad gas.

The power loss felt kind of like when my SV had a plug fill with water, but more pronounced and less of a noise change (didn't have stock exhaust on the SV, though). When all this happened the bike didn't make any startling noises or anything. The ninja is under a cover, and though it got drenched on a ride the other day, it has since done a couple hundred miles just fine.

Where do I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That sounds exactly like when my ninja's battery poo poo the bed.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKrrvBXS9VI