Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

How Disgusting posted:

You could make a business jumping from one universe to another and making documentaries about all the various things PGI hosed up. I'm sure there's a timeline where they got stuck in the past while visiting the Roman Empire, only to end up becoming Pilates, Levi and the Iscariot.

They're Nero, fiddling while Rome gets all the ghost heat. For balance purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For real though, I have enough confidence that the core shooting other robots part will be OK enough that all the surrounding awful choices/balancing can just be modded around. I'm sure there will also be some terrible UI crap, but oh well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Casual reminder that PGI is the developer that couldn't figure out how to get melee into a game engine that comes with a melee attack button by default.

Part of the problem was getting duped into using CryEngine, but mostly it's PGI.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I guess that's the difference between being mediocre and just being unskilled. Cause (only) one of those two is going to be faster and better when you check back in five years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Casual reminder that PGI is the developer that couldn't figure out how to get melee into a game engine that comes with a melee attack button by default.

Part of the problem was getting duped into using CryEngine, but mostly it's PGI.
and to solve players doing funny poo poo like boating 6 PPCs they added an undocumented feature that we lovingly call Ghost Heat, while otherwise slavishly adhering to TableTop BT rules, rather than trying to puzzle out a better solution.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Much as I am filled with schadenfreude over PGI's numerous and ever-present fuckups this is the thread for the good BT game :v:

also please stop mentioning ghost heat, I made the mistake of asking what that was once. I still regret it. it hurtssssssss

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Well what is it, for those of us who never played? Don't leave us in suspense!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Well, say you have four PPCs on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the PPC nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of PPCs and takes the place of the first PPC. The formerly first PPC becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Ghost Heat works the same way.

Yeah, at this point anything isildur's team makes I'm going to buy into even if it's silly or I have no idea what it is. HBS has consistently delivered good products.

Their next game could be a 100% serious attempt to make Best Ever a real thing and I would still try to convince everyone to buy into it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Prism posted:

I promise, from the bottom of my cold, black heart, you are better off not knowing how PGI tried to balance a first person game against TT rules. Even if you frequently think the TT rules are silly, or should be changed, or believe that changing the medium requires changing the rules (because it does) ... it doesn't matter. You're better off.

it's just the dumbest possible solution to the problem of boating...or whatever they were trying to fix, and we'll leave it at that

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Prism posted:

Arbitrary, additional heat penalty if you have too many of the same weapon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Prism posted:

There is a limit (decided per weapon type) of the same or similar weapons you can fire within a set period (I think 1.5 seconds?) of each other or you'll take a heat penalty for boating them. So if you have 3 PPCs on a mech and fire them simultaneously (or chain fire them within 1.5 seconds of each other), your mech will suffer heat buildup for the 3 PPCs, plus an additional percentage of that heat on top of it as a penalty that comes out of nowhere, hence Ghost Heat.

The best part about ghost heat is that in addition to being a stupid idea, it was so shittily implemented that a single AC2 being fired as fast as you can fire it was enough to trigger its own Ghost Heat penalty, despite being one weapon.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Psion posted:

I promise, from the bottom of my cold, black heart, you are better off not knowing how PGI tried to balance a first person game against TT rules. Even if you frequently think the TT rules are silly, or should be changed, or believe that changing the medium requires changing the rules (because it does) ... it doesn't matter. You're better off.

it's just the dumbest possible solution to the problem of boating...or whatever they were trying to fix, and we'll leave it at that

He asked for it!

Prism posted:

Firing a number of weapons at once is bad, this number is different for each weapon, some weapons are grouped together. If you fire a bad combination of weapons, you receive extra heat, somewhere between "not noticeable" and "poo poo I'm dead".
Firing 2x AC/20 together = BAD = VERY HOT
Firing 2x LB-20X together = not BAD.

There were once funny numbers of BAD weapons
Firing 4x SRM2 = BAD
Firing 2x SRM4 = not BAD

I'm not making poo poo up.

Want to know how :pgi: named this mechanic? It's "heat scale". Brilliant. eh?

The original MW:O post :pgi:'s brilliant Game Designer Paul Inouye, it contains funny JPEGs! I lied - they're actually .PNGs
https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/127904-heat-scale-the-maths/
The current "heat scale" values have changed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

The best part about ghost heat is that in addition to being a stupid idea, it was so shittily implemented that a single AC2 being fired as fast as you can fire it was enough to trigger its own Ghost Heat penalty, despite being one weapon.

And in order to fix this, they made the AC/2's refire rate slightly slower rather than writing an exception into the ghost heat code.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I hate all of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^ it is time, brotha!

Zaodai posted:

I disagree, the best part is that for the longest time Ghost Heat was not in any way shape or form advertised in game, only on the forums/website. So you were able to create a mech that would instantly overheat when firing its weapons without having any idea why that was happening, as the in-game numbers were not including the Ghost Heat mechanic.

Then there was lurmageddon (proximity damage for LRMS overscaled 50x so that a LRM20 salvo would down a fully armored assault) and all the other "ops, we've changed a variable by .5 instead of .005 and now the game is broken, too bad we can't locate and fix it in our own code" things that took days/week to fix. :pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

All mixed with super toxic community AND devs. Some of the mods were so bad they got shadowbanned on reddit and they were banning people from the official forum for content posted elsewhere.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 6, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh and PGI made DHS into "1.3HS" and said "deal with it".

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^ it is time, brotha!

I disagree, the best part is that for the longest time Ghost Heat was not in any way shape or form advertised in game, only on the forums/website. So you were able to create a mech that would instantly overheat when firing its weapons without having any idea why that was happening, as the in-game numbers were not including the Ghost Heat mechanic.

Then there was lurmageddon (proximity damage for LRMS overscaled 50x so that a LRM20 salvo would down a fully armored assault) and all the other "ops, we've changed a variable by .5 instead of .005 and now the game is broken, too bad we can't locate and fix it in our own code" things that took days/week to fix. :pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

All mixed with super toxic community AND devs. Some of the mods were so bad they got shadowbanned on reddit and they were banning people from the official forum for content posted elsewhere.
My god, and there was Anders' signature with all the stuff about LRMPocalypse 1, 2, and 3.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So question, since the HBS PDX forums seem full of broke brains concerning this topic :

Atlas II, would you prefer something like this :

or a retooling of the squat fatman Atlas :pgi: made? I personally prefer that mini aesthetic wise as it looks like the flat out avatar of motherfuckin' death. PGI Atlas looks like the Penguin from Batman did roids, got buff, and grew tits.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I personally like bulky atlas, the other one looks like a giant metal babby (Commando).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I also like the PGI Atlas, that looks like something out of 40k complete with giant pauldrons.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Atlas is my favorite mech. I think it's easy to mess up but it's mostly around making the head look less like a skull is where people go wrong, as well as making the torso way too wide, like on the MWO Atlas. He should be tall, somewhat bulky, and with a giant white skull head with glowing red eyes, being absolutely terrifying. Too thicc and he's more of an embarrassment than a threat.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Psion posted:

I hate all of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hubis emits a shriek from the void, sensing the topic of g-g-ghost heat

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've always been a fan of shorter, bulkier Atlas. It just makes it feel more threatening.

That particular mini makes it look more like an exosuit/power armor than a proper mech.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's amazing how hard it seems to be to get "Tall robot with a skull face motif" right. It sounds like one of those things that should come naturally.

Hubis posted:

Hubis emits a shriek from the void, sensing the topic of g-g-ghost heat
If you ever play Subnautica, don't shift your Submarine into 3rd gear.

The Ghost Heat logic is spreading.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

The Atlas is my favorite mech. I think it's easy to mess up but it's mostly around making the head look less like a skull is where people go wrong, as well as making the torso way too wide, like on the MWO Atlas. He should be tall, somewhat bulky, and with a giant white skull head with glowing red eyes, being absolutely terrifying. Too thicc and he's more of an embarrassment than a threat.

Both of those pics are way wider and squatter than that TT model though.

As far as the skull goes I think the rounded dome as in your pics looks much better than the gas mask style on the model. The TT model looks like it's wearing a fallout helmet.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say I agree with Taintrunner. Fav mechs and being tall and bulky. PGIlas legit just looks like a little fat dude and its kind of ludicrous to me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

Then there was lurmageddon (proximity damage for LRMS overscaled 50x so that a LRM20 salvo would down a fully armored assault)

That was Lurmageddon 3. Lurmageddon 1 and 2 were both "we hosed up the LRM arc and now LRMs drop straight down on their targets striking the center torso 100% of the time."

Also the time they accidentally gave the Quickdraw +1000% missile cooldown

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I just brought this up in the discord, but helpfully taintrunner already linked it. The above Atlas is my favorite representation of it ever, unironically. It's the perfect mix of bulky war machine and sleek future robot.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was Lurmageddon 3. Lurmageddon 1 and 2 were both "we hosed up the LRM arc and now LRMs drop straight down on their targets striking the center torso 100% of the time."

To be fair this is probably how hyper advanced mech combat should go, and is also hilarious.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, it's called a QUICKDRAW for a reason.

Now that I think about it, I think I once dropped with you on a Stalker(?) with all the LRMS with an engine so small it was doing like 10mph at top speed?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Zaodai posted:

I just brought this up in the discord, but helpfully taintrunner already linked it. The above Atlas is my favorite representation of it ever, unironically. It's the perfect mix of bulky war machine and sleek future robot.

If there is a secret BT discord, I'd very much like to get in it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My favorite thing about Ghost Heat was that in addition to being the most :pgi: solution imaginable to a real problem (pinpoint accurate high-alpha snipers dominating the game), it also managed to miss its target. Slightly annoying but mostly bad gimmick builds like the 6 PPC Stalker that already couldn't fire twice in a row got axed, while the optimal sniping configurations that blended PPCs and Gauss Rifles were mostly untouched. Combined with massive knock-on effects from all sorts of other builds getting hit by the caps being assigned most at random, and it only ended up cementing their place at the top of the metagame.

I survived a whole bunch of Lurmageddons, but the endless days of the Poptartalyse were what drove me out of the game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

Now that I think about it, I think I once dropped with you on a Stalker(?) with all the LRMS with an engine so small it was doing like 10mph at top speed?

Yes, my gimmick LRM100 Stalker with the smallest possible engine.

It was so slow it broke the speed cap in an interesting way: it couldn't back up.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

How Disgusting posted:

If there is a secret BT discord, I'd very much like to get in it.

It's in the OP.

https://discord.gg/GBYqqnc

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The MWO thread is a friendship is magic-style paradise these days, compared to how it was. Game is in an ok state these days.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

The MWO thread is a friendship is magic-style paradise these days, compared to how it was. Game is in an ok state these days.

Yeah it helps people stopped drive by thread making GBS threads it. I still lurk it just in case they make a change that will peak my interest again in it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

Yeah it helps people stopped drive by thread making GBS threads it. I still lurk it just in case they make a change that will peak my interest again in it.

MW5 is probably a precursor to an Unreal Engine MW:O2. Imagine if they can actually get the procedural map generation down and make MW:O2 4v4 on generated maps that neither side can really be familiar with. PGI's leadership may be a pack of clowns but I still honestly believe their employees want to make a good game. For their resumes if for no other reason.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

MW5 is probably a precursor to an Unreal Engine MW:O2. Imagine if they can actually get the procedural map generation down and make MW:O2 4v4 on generated maps that neither side can really be familiar with. PGI's leadership may be a pack of clowns but I still honestly believe their employees want to make a good game. For their resumes if for no other reason.

Yeah I concur with that. Can't blame the employees for the management being a bunch of fucktards. One dude is arrogant and doesn't want to deliver what the playerbase wants and is easily butthurt, the other dude takes game dev advice from his toddler child.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it may or may not be worth considering that before it became mechwarrior online the product pgi was working on was originally supposed to be mechwarrior 5 itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inyDH0SepKE

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not, the MW5 from the trailer is a different game entirely built in a different engine with different assets by a different company entirely. They got some traction and then Harmony Gold got involved and development couldn't continue.

The MW5 Trailer Atlas actually looks like it could touch its hands together. The PGI Atlas sure as hell can't.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:rip: Smith & Tinker