Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

Maybe Lee Jackson this time?

While Prince retired mostly so as to do something else, Lee Jackson retired from composing because of health issues that still plague him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

laserghost posted:

Wrack is getting a follow-up:

which will be crowd-funded via Kickstarter. Hmm. I hope there will be someone with mapping duties onboard, and a non-terrible soundtrack. Maybe Lee Jackson this time?

Also hopefully less bland enemy types, less first person platforming and maybe not terrible weapon feel. :effort:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A sequel to Wrack, the most :geno: FPS of all time? Oh man.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I defend a lot of sub-par FPSes, but I can't find a single thing that I like about Wrack. The writing is kind of cute, I guess? The aesthetic works sometimes?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It really works well as a speedrun-centric FPS, but it needs better maps. Like, two leagues better maps. And less insta-death falls and lava pits.

There's a really cool speedrun from this year's AGDQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRoiugZfOYs

Cat Mattress posted:

While Prince retired mostly so as to do something else, Lee Jackson retired from composing because of health issues that still plague him.

Oh :( didn't knew it was that serious. Tbh I always liked his work more, to Prince's weird jazz/blues/rock fusion thing. His work on Stargunners is sooo underrated.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 16, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alain Post posted:

please try it vanilla. E4M2 vanilla is the best Doom 1 map ever made.

I agree with this, you really need to experience vanilla E4M2 in order to call yourself a 'doomguy'. :colbert:

EDIT: Jesus christ, Wrack looks even worse and more bland than I remember it. :negative: They could have done a lot more with the cel-shaded, XIII-looking aesthetic, but nooooo.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Could always just tap into the musical talent in the Doom community. Jimmy, pcorf, Forty-Two/stewboy, Mark Klem, yakfak/Zan-zan-zawa-veia... all do some really great work. Hell, Klem also did retail work with Wacky Wheels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Could always just tap into the musical talent in the Doom community. Jimmy, pcorf, Forty-Two/stewboy, Mark Klem, yakfak/Zan-zan-zawa-veia... all do some really great work. Hell, Klem also did retail work with Wacky Wheels.

Cyriak :colbert:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Speaking of Klem, he's looking to make the jump into digital audio from General MIDI:

https://www.gofundme.com/zyqweks4

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cyriak. :golfclap: How did I forget Cyriak/mouldy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

Speaking of Klem, he's looking to make the jump into digital audio from General MIDI:

https://www.gofundme.com/zyqweks4

Is this a joke? I seriously can't tell.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree with this, you really need to experience vanilla E4M2 in order to call yourself a 'doomguy'. :colbert:

On the other hand, have you played Trailblazer?

laserghost posted:

His work on Stargunners is sooo underrated.

I had never heard this, listening to it now, thanks for giving it a shoutout!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even using an OP weaponset, E4M2 was a brilliant map, but strangely placed. I mean, it's considerably harder than just about every other level in the episode despite being the second one.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Dave Angel posted:

System Shock 3 is being made by Otherside Entertainment, the new studio set up by original Looking Glass co-founder Paul Neurath, who are also making the new Underworld game. Looks like they've licensed the System Shock IP from Night Dive.

They also managed to get Warren Spector onboard for Shock 3. This could get interesting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this a joke? I seriously can't tell.

Nope it's for real.

Jimmy is selling music commissions on doomworld in one of the weirder threads over there.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Eh, I don't think taking up commissions to make a little side money off of one of your talents/hobbies is all that weird.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You can finally make the FPS of your dreams, because FPS Creator "Classic" has gone open source, and all the assets packs are now freely downloadable.

An example of a game made in this tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFbbkgWV5jQ

I'm pretty sure there were commercially released games done in this.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's a dead ringer for Far Cry 1.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of which, for the next few days, you can get a bunch of royalty-free CryEngine assets for cheap.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Funny that you mention FC1, because even in the newest version of this tool, you can't make a game that's even as half as nice looking as it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNFBvADvds

It looks worse than Chrome, actually

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

Funny that you mention FC1, because even in the newest version of this tool, you can't make a game that's even as half as nice looking as it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNFBvADvds

It looks worse than Chrome, actually

I'm the SMG whose rate of fire doesn't match the sound effect.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what are some good Old School style FPS games for the PS4, already have Zigguraut and Gunscape, and I've played Shadow Warrior, anything else worth looking into?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Many moons ago when I was a wee person I spent 50 whole American euros on FPS Creator (they mailed me a CD! :haw: ) and let me tell you, it's an unwieldly, barely functional pile of code violently puked into an executable. You're better off just making ZDoom maps and throwing together a gameplay weapon wad honestly, you'd get more practical skills out of it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Many moons ago when I was a wee person I spent 50 whole American euros on FPS Creator (they mailed me a CD! :haw: ) and let me tell you, it's an unwieldly, barely functional pile of code violently puked into an executable. You're better off just making ZDoom maps and throwing together a gameplay weapon wad honestly, you'd get more practical skills out of it.

Duke 3D's mapster (with eduke32) is another solid option too, especially if you dig those urban textures etc. Though I'm sure those have been ripped for Doom use as well.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

About 10 years ago me and my high school friends were obsessed with making our own FPS and we were seriously considering pooling our money to buy this. Luckily I somehow managed to get the pirated version and quickly decided that it's not worth my time because the GUI is really bad, and finished games run and look like rear end anyways.
Such a weird tool, way too complicated for a toy and too limited for even an excercise in mapping.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

Oh :( didn't knew it was that serious. Tbh I always liked his work more, to Prince's weird jazz/blues/rock fusion thing. His work on Stargunners is sooo underrated.
Lee mentioned back in January that he's been doing something for Gearbox. Judging by the hints dropped by other people since then, he's probably doing something music-related for whatever new Duke Nukem project's making its debut later this year.

Triggsz posted:

They also managed to get Warren Spector onboard for Shock 3. This could get interesting.
From the sounds of an interview Spector did with Gamasutra shortly after the reveal, he'll be heading up System Shock 3 with a new team he'll be forming in Austin while Neurath's team in Boston focuses on Underworld.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hopefully system shock 3 is great, unlike the progressively-more-faded-photocopy of system shock 2 that ken levine has been churning out the past decade

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hopefully system shock 3 is great, unlike the progressively-more-faded-photocopy of system shock 2 that ken levine has been churning out the past decade

Bioshock Infinite is pretty cool, at least for the cinematic linear FPS genre (a'la Half-Life). I don't think it's a copy of SS2, though for Bioshock 1 I could see that comparison more.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Heavy Metal posted:

Bioshock Infinite is pretty cool, at least for the cinematic linear FPS genre (a'la Half-Life). I don't think it's a copy of SS2, though for Bioshock 1 I could see that comparison more.

I've always thought Bioshock 2 was a solid game that stood up on its own merits and should have been what 1 and Infinite wanted to be.

I... think I'm in the minority on this. :sigh:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Thyrork posted:

I've always thought Bioshock 2 was a solid game that stood up on its own merits and should have been what 1 and Infinite wanted to be.

I think after Infinite, people have went back to 2 and started appreciating it for what it is instead of what they wanted it to be. It still has problems as a sequel to Bioshock 1 but it tells its story fairly well whereas Bioshock Infinite was a bit of a confused mess which didn't know what story to tell and then the DLC for Infinite ended up dragging the base game and Bioshock 1 through the mud with it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Bioshock Infinite had a terrible 2 weapon limit which completely hosed the entertaining gunplay of the second game. It works fine for COD or something where all the guns are pretty similar, but not here.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Bioshock 2 is definitely the best Bioshock game (it's the only good one). It makes much better use of the setting than Bioshock 1, it's a better FPS, it's got more interesting characters, and it's doesn't pretend to be a deep and intelligent critique of Ayn Rand.

Infinite is garbage with bad level design and a laughably terrible plot/story.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Bioshock 1 was a disappointment as it was a bit of a step back as far as I was concerned from SS2. I still loved the Bioshock series anyway.

I was super pumped for Infinite but it just didn't work for me. It was very pretty in terms of scenery but the characters looked off to me, the gameplay never really clicked enough but worst of all I found the story to just be a bit poor and undercooked. From the developer pedigree and time spent on it I was woefully disappointed.

Then I saw everyone else loved it and wondered what I was missing.

Funnily enough that year I tried Last of Us and loved it, when after seeing all the trailers etc I couldn't care less about it - only tried it on a whim.

EDIT:

quote:

laughably terrible plot/story.

Ok its not just me, yeah I was going to be stronger in saying it was terrible but backed out on it. Part of me wondered if I was just not getting it but the more I thought about it the worse it became.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Coincidentally, a Bioshock HD remake collection was just leaked. Including a PC SKU so it's on-topic.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

haveblue posted:

Coincidentally, a Bioshock HD remake collection was just leaked. Including a PC SKU so it's on-topic.

That's great news, because after introducing my wife to the series she's been wanting to play the first one herself instead of watching an LP but it's a janky piece of poo poo to get running on a modern OS.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

Ok its not just me, yeah I was going to be stronger in saying it was terrible but backed out on it. Part of me wondered if I was just not getting it but the more I thought about it the worse it became.

I'd be surprised if anyone at all thinks Infinite's writing was any good. It's genuinely some of the worst in a AAA game in recent years, especially the DLC. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 17, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Older bioshocks have boxy claustrophobic levels, fights are all the same, guns suck and there's too much emphasis on magic. B:I is a cool vertical FPS with tight combat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone at all things Infinite's writing was any good. It's genuinely some of the worst in a AAA game in recent years, especially the DLC. :v:

It had really dumb writing but some excellent VA. It was a great run through the first time but it definitely doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember reviews fawning over it back in the day, it was taken as deep and meaningful in the days before real pretentious art games started impacting the mainstream (and the DLC wasn't out yet). To give it some credit, Columbia is a great idea for a setting and a game that wasn't dead-set on being a basic shoot/magicman could have done a lot with it. It's all downhill after that short segment where you can walk around and explore without hostiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

loga mira posted:

Older bioshocks have boxy claustrophobic levels, fights are all the same, guns suck and there's too much emphasis on magic. B:I is a cool vertical FPS with tight combat.

BioShock 1 is an RPG with FPS mechanics. It has dungeons, not ordinary FPS levels.