Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

teagone posted:

More posts from this same thread, made about an hour after the trailer dropped:

Didn't someone already point out that the "Penguin" scene was one of Snyder's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
On the topic of clever callbacks in Dark Knight Rises, I spotted one and felt very clever.

In Dark Knight, Batman: "One man, or the whole mob?"

In Dark Knight Rises, Matthew Modine: "One bank robber, or the son of a bitch who killed Harvey Dent?"

There's a whole bunch of little things that the city learned entirely the wrong lesson, like how they repeat their mistake from the first movie, sending every single cop in. It's why, when Batman's about to sacrifice himself, he recalls that it was an act of kindness that defined him and Jim Gordon, he's trying to reclaim batman from the cruelty he's come to symbolise.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
To whoever said Bane's outfit was an inversion of Batman's. I found this on googles.coms:

I think Bane's mask was meant to be the other part of a bat face.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

UmOk posted:

To whoever said Bane's outfit was an inversion of Batman's. I found this on googles.coms:

I think you're overthinking it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Sometimes a pussy face is just a pussy face.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

Change CineD's forum title to this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

why didn't mr mom and his crew wear hard hats at the clean up site?
also missed opportunity, mr mom offers beer, then scotch, not bourbon then scotch

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

Didn't someone already point out that the "Penguin" scene was one of Snyder's?

We don't know for sure. I also made it a point to say that I'm inevitably going to question a lot of things in the film as to whether or not Whedon had a hand in re-tooling a particular scene or added something in, seeing as how different directors Whedon and Snyder are, and how I find that annoying. I personally suspect the Penguin joke scene is all Whedon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, you guys realize, Whedon helped do another pass on the script months and months ago, right? You remember that?

It could very well be a Snyder scene, just with some Whedon scripting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Burkion posted:

It could very well be a Snyder scene, just with some Whedon scripting.

I mean, yeah, it definitely could be. But the Penguin joke scene's visual aesthetic screams more "Avengers" than it does "Man of Steel" or "Batman v Superman" to me. When I saw the the trailer for the first time, I was hyped and into it, but something about that scene felt really off, almost glaringly so.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the trailer was real good but that scene did stick out to me too but not enough to comment on it. Alfred did have some dry humor in Batman v Superman so I didn't really mind it. But the scene is shot pretty weird. Bruce does look really off in it. I don't know if that's because it's gone through color correction, a Whedon shot scene or Zack Snyder was having a bad day. Who knows. It's an ugly scene in a trailer of really good ones.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bruce might be tiny on purpose considering the subject matter of the conversation seems to be about how he used to fight a guy who looks like a penguin and now he's preparing for an invasion of gods.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a solution.

Let WB release whatever cut they want in theaters. For the hardcore fans and a hefty fee, WB will print a personalized blu-ray of the movie for you. On the website you can pick from all the possible variations of the film. A Whedon scene, a Snyder scene. A Whedon scene with Snyders coloring. A Snyder scene but with Whedon's snappy dialogue. You get the idea. Everybody wins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have a better solution. Have WB release three or four cuts in theaters by Whedon, Snyder, an outside company, and the execs. Randomly distribute them throughout the world's various screens and see which one people like more. Bonus, you're gonna need to see that film more than once.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There's like a thousand cuts of Blade Runner. I don't see any reason why there can't be a dozen different cuts for Justice League.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think what stands out in my mind with that scene is Alfred using the Ye Olde Englishe 'one' when his dialogue in BvS doesn't.

It's not "what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning" levels of Whedon dialogue, but it's a noticeable difference to me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

ungulateman posted:

It's not "what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning" levels of Whedon dialogue, but it's a noticeable difference to me.

For all the praise Whedon gets for his dialogue he wrote one of the worst lines in cinema history with that one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yaws posted:

For all the praise Whedon gets for his dialogue he wrote one of the worst lines in cinema history with that one.

Most of the people who praise Whedon dialog have never actually heard what good dialog sounds like.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yaws posted:

Pretty sure it's not Whedon's fault. The line was the culmination of a running gag that got cut from the movie (Toad repeatedly saying "You know what happens when a toad..." followed by some toad fact). Then, instead of being read as a gag, Halle Berry delivered the line completely straight-faced.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Most of the people who praise Whedon dialog have never actually heard what good dialog sounds like.

Says poster who probably loves Speed and Toy Story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure it's not Whedon's fault. The line was the culmination of a running gag that got cut from the movie (Toad repeatedly saying "You know what happens when a toad..." followed by some toad fact). Then, instead of being read as a gag, Halle Berry delivered the line completely straight-faced.

Halle Berry always gets the blame, no one ever blames Singer. He saw the take and said "Beautiful. Cut. Print."

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I liked the "what happens when a toad..." for how silly it was with such serious delivery. I actually like it less now that I know it was supposed to be the end of a running gag instead of this out of nowhere, very seriously said goofy line.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I think what stands out in my mind with that scene is Alfred using the Ye Olde Englishe 'one' when his dialogue in BvS doesn't.

Uh, you can say 'one' sometimes and not other times. Someone who would say 'one' in a not entirely serious manner would not say it all the time

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Halle Berry always gets the blame, no one ever blames Singer. He saw the take and said "Beautiful. Cut. Print."

No one ever credits Whedon with the best line in that film either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Probably more than they can't recognize it. Plenty of movies that were popular have great dialogues.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PriorMarcus posted:

No one ever credits Whedon with the best line in that film either.

"You're a dick."?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"They wish to cure us. But I say to you, WE are the cure! The cure for that infirm, imperfect condition called 'Homo sapiens'! They have their weapons...we have ours. We will strike with a vengeance and a fury that this world has never witnessed! And if any mutants stand in our way, we will use this poison against them! We shall go to Alcatraz Island, take control of the cure, and destroy its source! And then, nothing can stop us!
"That's what she said!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

There's like a thousand cuts of Blade Runner. I don't see any reason why there can't be a dozen different cuts for Justice League.

There are four (five if you count its edited to be shown on WPIX TV form).

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have a better solution. Have WB release three or four cuts in theaters by Whedon, Snyder, an outside company, and McG. Randomly distribute them throughout the world's various screens and see which one people like more. Bonus, you're gonna need to see that film more than once.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Was there even a Snyder cut of JL that wasn't a rough cut? Or assembly cut? Is there a difference between those two?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

teagone posted:

Was there even a Snyder cut of JL that wasn't a rough cut? Or assembly cut? Is there a difference between those two?

Well he'd have to make another one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Release the fully uncut version with all shot footage and choose-your-own-adventure interface.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"What do they call you, Wheels?" is the best line in X-Men.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

Yes, a very sick BK Kids Club burn after meeting Kid Vid.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Release the fully uncut version with all shot footage and choose-your-own-adventure interface.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

THOSE FUCKERS

OUR EXTRANEOUS DETAILS

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"You're a dick."?

Yeah. It's originally an scripted as Wolverine lifting his shirt or some poo poo to show he's healing in progress.

Then Whedon did a rewrite and it's that line.

He also contributed the best line in Speed;

Jack: You're crazy! You're fuckin' crazy!
Howard Payne: NO! Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. It's originally an scripted as Wolverine lifting his shirt or some poo poo to show he's healing in progress.

Then Whedon did a rewrite and it's that line.

He also contributed the best line in Speed;

Jack: You're crazy! You're fuckin' crazy!
Howard Payne: NO! Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

That works surprisingly well, given Mystique could fake that easily enough.

Like a lot of people, Whedon seems to have genuine talent, he just needs someone to tell him when to knock it off and let other things happen. I think the problems come when people use quips as space-filler.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

Seems to follow, in my opinion. Nolanverse Batman tends to harp on the core themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

dont even fink about it posted:

Wasn't that an adlib by Jackman?

The best line in X-2, by the way:

'What exactly are you a professor of Mr Logan?'
'Art'

• Locked thread