Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

dude started a book club for von mises writing

why would you put him in charge of teaching ged classes

he can still probably teach basic subjects like math and english and how to calculate sha-256 hashes by hand

he wouldn't be in charge obviously but I think he could be put into a position to be useful to others that's all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DNova posted:

oh come on

he would have to have a shitload of secret bitcoins somewhere and hire some mercenaries from africa or something because no charter company pilot is going to fly to a prison to effect an escape. also they would all probably be shot to death very early in the attempt.

e: yes I just listened to the mercenary episode of snap judgement

yeah the internet guy who roleplayed being a badass outlaw on the internet must have some very capable friends willing to break him out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He's gonna start his own sweatshop prison labor mining operation using hand hashing inmates. They will dry fruits with their orifices in order to make pruno

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

yeah the internet guy who roleplayed being a badass outlaw on the internet must have some very capable friends willing to break him out

maybe he can earn the guards' trust and admiration by teaching them how to invest in bitcoins all the while he is tunneling to freedom unsuspected

then a few years later when carl mark force iv is released from prison he can go find his old friend ross and help him restore an old butterfly labs mining rig in zihuatanejocosta rica

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
not that I wish it on him or anything (srsly I don't) but if I were in his situation I'd be spending every waking moment figuring out how to off myself tbh

then again if I were in his sitch it would imply that I started a drug empire and wanted movies made about me and kept a detailed journal so I maybe my outlook would be a bit different

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Alan Smithee posted:

but it's not in anyone's rational self interest to actually try....

plus, why would he want to escape? he is fully criminalized and loving it.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
isn't the whole murder for hire charge a little specious because the person never existed?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Beast of Bourbon posted:

isn't the whole murder for hire charge a little specious because the person never existed?

the first dude he wanted to kill did exist, it was one of his silk road mods that had been arrested by CARL MARK FORCE IV

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

at least one of the people actually existed, and he paid for a bunch of hits and believed they had been carried out. that said, I am not sure what is required to prosecute someone for murder-for-hire or conspiracy to commit murder or whatever the charges would be

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beast of Bourbon posted:

source your quotes

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As in "I herd u got life without parole"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DNova posted:

he can still probably teach basic subjects like math and english and how to calculate sha-256 hashes by hand

he wouldn't be in charge obviously but I think he could be put into a position to be useful to others that's all

he's a bitcoiner what makes you think that he's qualified to teach anything

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

unless it's by me

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

he's a bitcoiner what makes you think that he's qualified to teach anything

this is a v. good point

JamesieAB posted:

unless it's by me

means to an end!

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

lmao

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
drat

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

trucutru posted:

They calculated that an attacker can clog the network at will for a day with 4,000 dollars worth of transactions. Luckily, the banks an other enemies of bitcoin do not have that kind of money,
that would be Good For Bitcoin though because it would mean someone buying $4k/day worth

next stop: moon

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

jony ive aces posted:

that would be Good For Bitcoin though because it would mean someone buying $4k/day worth

next stop: moon

couldnt that person just use 2 different addresses and send the butts to themselves

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

holy poo poo

did you do this
yo Heresiarch did you see this earlier post about "hyperbitcoinization"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Heresiarch posted:

anyone who doesn't understand that image: you are lucky and you should press no further

This place is not a place of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
Nothing valued is here.
Sending this message was important to us.
We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

This place is not a place of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
Nothing valued is here.
Sending this message was important to us.
We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
We Can’t Trust Women With Bitcoin.

quote:

Doesn’t she know we’re trying to change the world out here? If she were any sort of Bitcoiner she would’ve been throwing in some newlywed pussy for a Bitcoin deal sweetener for a plane ticket.

Stay classy bitcoiners.

There's a picture of Ross 25 seconds into the video rocking a 70's drug kingpin mustache. I think he's in this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PN7Xbexq4

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the circle bitcoin client has been featured in the google play store for doing a really good material design ui

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
bitcoiner? bitcoiner?? you call yourself a bit coiner? let me ask you something. you ever sucked dick for bitcoin? nah i didn't think so, you're not a true bit coiner.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

anyone who doesn't understand that image: you are lucky and you should press no further

too late I googled.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Ross Ulbricht, he is our Socrates, our Oscar Wilde, our Rosa Parks.

So he's a dead Greek/Irish gay black Woman?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

jfc

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if silk road had existed back then, socrates could have used cyanide pills instead

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

reminder that the guy who proposed this helicopter scheme, the guy who spent years guiding DPR and egging him on, the guy who urged him to send hit men to deal with problem vendors, and the only guy on silk road actually good at opsec is still out there somewhere rich and untroubled by law enforcement.

he won't be coming to rescue DPR from supermax, because he's not stupid but if he decided to have a go he could probably come closer than any of those fedora-doffing couch potatoes on bitcointalk.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

the closest thing libertarians have to a philosopher, a poet or a civil rights activist is a rich kid who wrote lovely php and sold drugs

makes sense tbh, not going to read the article though

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Dex posted:

the closest thing libertarians have to a philosopher, a poet or a civil rights activist is a rich kid who wrote lovely php and sold drugs

makes sense tbh, not going to read the article though

Yeah, it's just the usual libertarian rubbish. But that comparison really had to be quoted.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Barnyard Protein posted:

let me ask you something. you ever sucked dick for bitcoin?

5th amendment

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
weird how socrates was all about following laws to the point of drinking hemlock on his own, where as these libertarian chucklefucks are all about breaking laws that they don't like

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JamesieAB posted:

Ah yes, two great African Americans.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DNova posted:

oh come on

he would have to have a shitload of secret bitcoins somewhere and hire some mercenaries from africa or something because no charter company pilot is going to fly to a prison to effect an escape. also they would all probably be shot to death very early in the attempt.

e: yes I just listened to the mercenary episode of snap judgement
the point is not that ross has already paid for a daring helicopter escape, the point is that he is on the record as considering ways to escape from a minimum/medium security facility coming from long before he was caught for doing anything. thats going to hurt him when it comes to plead that he should be sent to some not-too-unpleasant club fed minsec joint. i think it already hurt him at sentencing because it cut against his "im not a vicious drug kingpin im just a goofball libertarian dreamer who let his computer site get out of hand" narrative that he and his family were trying to sell (well that and the whole murder-for-hire-including-bystanders thing).

ross getting life wasnt too surprising because of the total lack of mitigating circumstances. theres a whole list of reasons to beg the court for leniency but none of them applied to him. he wasnt in desperate financial straits, he didnt have a tough upbringing, he wasnt in an abusive relationship, he didnt have mental health problems, he wasnt one of those follower types who fell in with a bad crowd, he wasnt remorseful, nobody forced him to do it - the best case his family could come up with for clemency was "you cant send nice clean polite softspoken ross away like hes some kind of tattooed urban thug predator real criminal". there are a lot of hard-luck cases who stand before courts and beg mercy. ross by contrast had every advantage imaginable (stable family, upper middle class upbringing, fancy college degree, in demand technical skills, etc) and the judge seemed really pissed off that he took all those advantages and decided to embark on a life of crime, and then have the balls to ask for leniency because he hadnt really done anything wrong.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

shadok posted:

reminder that the guy who proposed this helicopter scheme, the guy who spent years guiding DPR and egging him on, the guy who urged him to send hit men to deal with problem vendors, and the only guy on silk road actually good at opsec is still out there somewhere rich and untroubled by law enforcement.

he won't be coming to rescue DPR from supermax, because he's not stupid but if he decided to have a go he could probably come closer than any of those fedora-doffing couch potatoes on bitcointalk.

He's also the dude that told DPR to go with Nob (CMFIV) to hit Curtis Green. So maybe he is also CMFIV.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Socrates' defense at his trial was that his crimes were really cool and good and his punishment should be free meals for life, courtesy of the state. I'm glad to see that Ross succeeded where he failed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

On the first day of the trial, 26-year old Max Dickstein had come dressed in a black ninja costume while holding a poster reading "The Chosen One," featuring a picture of Ross Ulbricht and the Bitcoin logo. Midway through the trial, I bumped into Dickstein again as he smoked a cigarette on the court’s eighth floor balcony with two friends.

I had dinner with Dickstein in Chinatown, where he lives. He's an "out-there" libertarian, he explained. His father is a currency trader, and Dickstein, who describes himself as an "unrepentant one-percenter," dropped out of college to trade currency as well. He got his father interested in Bitcoin, which he saw "as an alternative to gold," he told me.

Dickstein wouldn't say on the record whether he'd made buys on Silk Road or other "darknet" markets, but his knowledge of them was extensive. Silk Road had far more traffic than its competitors and had features other markets didn't have, including the ability to "hedge" Bitcoin, which essentially froze the value of the trade at the moment the buyer and seller agreed on it. That protected either side from losing money due to Bitcoin volatility.

He was even more enthusiastic about the idea of Karpeles getting in trouble. Dickstein was certain that the collapse of Mt. Gox had been straight-up theft by Karpeles, to the tune of $400 million worth of bitcoins—including $16,000 of Dickstein's own.

I asked him how he knew the two other men who'd been smoking on the balcony with him. They met at a 9/11 Truth rally, he explained.

"Building Seven, at least, was brought down by explosives," he said. He had been living near the site at the time with his parents, when just barely a teenager.

I said nothing, but Dickstein could read my skepticism. "Like I said, I'm out there," he told me, smiling broadly.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/05/sunk-how-ross-ulbricht-ended-up-in-prison-for-life/3/

man karples just keeps coming out smelling like roses from this trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

FMguru posted:

the point is not that ross has already paid for a daring helicopter escape, the point is that he is on the record as considering ways to escape from a minimum/medium security facility coming from long before he was caught for doing anything. thats going to hurt him when it comes to plead that he should be sent to some not-too-unpleasant club fed minsec joint. i think it already hurt him at sentencing because it cut against his "im not a vicious drug kingpin im just a goofball libertarian dreamer who let his computer site get out of hand" narrative that he and his family were trying to sell (well that and the whole murder-for-hire-including-bystanders thing).

ross getting life wasnt too surprising because of the total lack of mitigating circumstances. theres a whole list of reasons to beg the court for leniency but none of them applied to him. he wasnt in desperate financial straits, he didnt have a tough upbringing, he wasnt in an abusive relationship, he didnt have mental health problems, he wasnt one of those follower types who fell in with a bad crowd, he wasnt remorseful, nobody forced him to do it - the best case his family could come up with for clemency was "you cant send nice clean polite softspoken ross away like hes some kind of tattooed urban thug predator real criminal". there are a lot of hard-luck cases who stand before courts and beg mercy. ross by contrast had every advantage imaginable (stable family, upper middle class upbringing, fancy college degree, in demand technical skills, etc) and the judge seemed really pissed off that he took all those advantages and decided to embark on a life of crime, and then have the balls to ask for leniency because he hadnt really done anything wrong.

dreaming up a plan and having the wherewithal to follow through are vastly different things and I think that should be taken into account. really, fantasizing some cartoonish prison break doesn't make you more likely or able to attempt it in real life.

the rest of what you wrote is another story which I agree with mostly

• Locked thread