Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, it seemed like an effort at:

-spotters using cover
-hull-down firing
-shoot and scoot

That looked quite more professional than I expected from the rebels.

Also, any new info from Taftanaz? That looked like a big deal.

Yeah that was pretty good tanking. Good use of spotters in the battle position.

Slightly off topic: can anyone recommend a good Arabic vocabulary resource? I have a good grasp of the grammar and am familiar with some colloquial words, but I need to build up my vocabulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

By that logic we wouldn't know at all that they tried :confused: because they missed and we noticed they missed. How is it functionally different if its a 'warning shot' or a 'missed shot'
The big difference is actively trying to kill another aircraft and failing vs intentionally missing.

Not sure why people are so keen on this "warning shots" idea. I'm assuming we know they fired because the U.S. Military takes a keen interest in things like Iranian jets intercepting our planes in international waters and We Have Our Ways. Warning shots aren't really A Thing in aviation these days, for a number of reasons: First, very few countries still load their aircraft cannon with tracers, so it would be pretty easy to not even see the warning shots. Second, most people who see an armed military aircraft join up on their wing know whoever sent it means business: if the intruder isn't deterred by the mere presence of a jet fighter, they already think you won't shoot them down. Third, firing at or near the sovereign instrumentalities of another country is an extremely dicey proposition and staggeringly likely to trigger a war. The fact that it's a drone makes the entire idea doubly hilarious because the RQ-1 is considered expendable when necessary and it's very hard to intimidate pilots who are in a trailer 8,500 miles away.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The big difference is actively trying to kill another aircraft and failing vs intentionally missing.

Not sure why people are so keen on this "warning shots" idea. I'm assuming we know they fired because the U.S. Military takes a keen interest in things like Iranian jets intercepting our planes in international waters and We Have Our Ways. Warning shots aren't really A Thing in aviation these days, for a number of reasons: First, very few countries still load their aircraft cannon with tracers, so it would be pretty easy to not even see the warning shots. Second, most people who see an armed military aircraft join up on their wing know whoever sent it means business: if the intruder isn't deterred by the mere presence of a jet fighter, they already think you won't shoot them down. Third, firing at or near the sovereign instrumentalities of another country is an extremely dicey proposition and staggeringly likely to trigger a war. The fact that it's a drone makes the entire idea doubly hilarious because the RQ-1 is considered expendable when necessary and it's very hard to intimidate pilots who are in a trailer 8,500 miles away.

I see what your getting at. And I am not arguing that it WAS warning shots. I just thought it sounded pretty weak that is must have been a missed shot because sucky planes Q.E.D.

I don't think 'warning shot' is the alternative, more like 'being a dick' shot. Just a poke in the ribs, we see your drones we could shoot them if we wanted message to America. Not trying to scare a pilot that obviously isnt there. Is that not a possibility?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I see what your getting at. And I am not arguing that it WAS warning shots. I just thought it sounded pretty weak that is must have been a missed shot because sucky planes Q.E.D.

I don't think 'warning shot' is the alternative, more like 'being a dick' shot. Just a poke in the ribs, we see your drones we could shoot them if we wanted message to America. Not trying to scare a pilot that obviously isnt there. Is that not a possibility?

You can do that perfectly well just by intercepting and buzzing the drone.

Shooting and missing just makes you look really terrible at flying.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Alchenar posted:

You can do that perfectly well just by intercepting and buzzing the drone.

Shooting and missing just makes you look really terrible at flying.

Good point. Still would it be the first time Iran went out of its way to overtly and oddly make a statement?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 11, 2012

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Assuming that they weren't patrolling but rather saw the Predator on ground based radar and then scrambled fighters. Who in the hell would scramble ground attack fighters with no air-to-air weapons except for a cannon to intercept aircraft?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Vladimir Putin posted:

Assuming that they weren't patrolling but rather saw the Predator on ground based radar and then scrambled fighters. Who in the hell would scramble ground attack fighters with no air-to-air weapons except for a cannon to intercept aircraft?

Like I said before, this was the IRGC, not the Iranian military. They are basically two separate entities, and the highest performance aircraft the IRGC possesses is the Su-25 (the rest of their air arm consists of prop trainers, transports, and helos.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

McDowell posted:

They care but there isn't much they can do about it since this is supposed to be a new era for Popular Sovereignty and a practical test of the NeoCon Democracy Agenda.

In terms of Great Power Calculus I don't think Egypt factors in much more than the Suez, probably should have been clearer on that, sorry.

The Suez thing is actually even bigger - the Mubarak regime was FAMOUSLY poo poo at running the Suez Authority, to the point that it wasn't uncommon for freighters to not know how much they (/their company) would have to pay until they arrived at the drat canal. It would be difficult for the new government to do worse, even if they prove to be both pants-on-head moronic and irredeemably corrupt (neither of which there is much evidence for yet).

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

gvibes posted:

Not sure where these photos came from, but some are really well done. Obviously, some are pretty grisly.

http://ir-ingr.livejournal.com/1185799.html

Is that a flare?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Looks like it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Section 31 posted:

Is that a flare?

Yes. They started using flares on attack runs with consistency. I doubt its because of active attack, I think they are just afraid there might be a MANPAD since their attack runs are when they are most vulnerable.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

farraday posted:

Yes. They started using flares on attack runs with consistency. I doubt its because of active attack, I think they are just afraid there might be a MANPAD since their attack runs are when they are most vulnerable.

That's standard procedure for NATO CAS aircraft. Come in for strafing/bomb run, peel off hard while punching off flare/chaff.

You see it in A-10 strafing videos all the time.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

MA-Horus posted:

That's standard procedure for NATO CAS aircraft. Come in for strafing/bomb run, peel off hard while punching off flare/chaff.

Yes, but the Syrian airforce is hardly the same and based on the last few months it has not been standard procedure here. It's a reaction to a new perceived threat, but videos of flares are a hall of a lot more common than videos of MANPAD attacks.

Evidence of the effect of the few attacks we have seen on pilot confidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

They have to assume they are going to be attacked their most vulnerable point of their dive, so they always launch flares. C-130s do it as well as they drop their loads as a precaution.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Predator incident is that those SU-25 have no air-intercept radar (ie they can't detect something the size of a Predator on their navigation radar) and would therefore need to be guided to the Predator by a ground controller until they can get a visual fix.

I agree that the most likely scenario is that some IRGC commander saw that some Western drones were regularly doing orbits off the coast in a particular area and decided to send up his SU-25s to try and grab some internal political points for splashing an instrument of the Imperialist Aggressors.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This seems more like saber-rattling for domestic reasons than anything else to me. Iran is going to talk to the US about their nuclear program, which is a sign of weakness. Sending the IGRC up to take a shot at a US drone is an easy way to send a signal of strength that is not going to cause serious outrage or get in the way of the talks.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bahrain-breaks-its-pledge-to-reform/2012/11/09/110299aa-2a9f-11e2-96b6-8e6a7524553f_story.html

Nice to see their editorial board write this about Bahrain.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

farraday posted:

Yes, but the Syrian airforce is hardly the same and based on the last few months it has not been standard procedure here. It's a reaction to a new perceived threat, but videos of flares are a hall of a lot more common than videos of MANPAD attacks.

Evidence of the effect of the few attacks we have seen on pilot confidence.

Also I think dropping flares after a bombing run is one of those "just in case" type things. The Taliban arent really known for having many if any manpads but NATO jets still drop flares after a strafing run. Why? Just in case. And I'm sure NATO jets probably always fly with some air to air missiles as well even though the Taliban don't have an airforce. Why? Just in case ;)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The point is Syrian jets were not doing this in videos until recently, almost certainly because they have been losing a lot of jets to AA from rebels.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

These 'was in international airspace' or 'was in international waters' disputes between countries is the worst.

When China is involved, it's easy: they're always, always full of poo poo. They basically claim the entire ocean anywhere near their borders is their 'territory' rather than the 15-20 mile limit the rest of the world uses.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

-Troika- posted:

When China is involved, it's easy: they're always, always full of poo poo. They basically claim the entire ocean anywhere near their borders is their 'territory' rather than the 15-20 mile limit the rest of the world uses.

Per the UNCLOS, the internationally accepted limit is 12 miles...of course, every country in the world that borders the ocean has an exception or two that they hold to this, but that's the commonly accepted standard.

And yeah, while pretty much everyone in East and Southeast Asia is bad about claiming poo poo beyond 12 miles, China is one of the worst:

Granted, that is discussing EEZs and not the 12 mile territorial limit, but it still speaks to China's mentality on maritime boundaries.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Granted, that is discussing EEZs and not the 12 mile territorial limit, but it still speaks to China's mentality on maritime boundaries.

That's really a manifestation of the fact that they have to be careful not to admit in any way that Taiwan is not part of China though, so they absolutely cannot have a maritime border which appears to acknowledge a sovereign entity.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
breaking news is that all the main players have signed an agreement to form the Syrian National Coalition (SNC.)

quote:

Anti-regime groups meeting in Doha sign intitial agreement to form united group called the Syrian National Coalition. Syrian opposition groups meeting in the Qatari capital have signed an initial agreement to form a united group called the Syrian National Coalition.

Details of the agreement are still being negotiated; a delegate at the talks told reporters they would discuss specifics at meetings on Sunday night.

"An initial deal has been signed. The evening session will be for electing the president of the body and his deputy," Ali Sadreddine al-Bayanouni, a Muslim Brotherhood delegate at the talks, told reporters.

The Syrian National Council - once seen as the leading representative of the opposition but now seen in the West as dominated by out-of-touch exiles - had come under increasing pressure to accept a unity plan.

Al Jazeera's Hashem Ahelbarra, reporting from Doha where the opposition groups were meeting, said on Sunday that the new coalition was crucial because it is expected to go forward to set up the new transitional institutions and how to move forward to topple the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

They are trying to work out the final details of the agreement, which is how many seats are to be given to the main opposition parties, our correspondent said.

"We have started an open dialogue with our brothers and looked at their initiative," the SNC's new leader George Sabra said earlier in Doha before the coalition formation announcement.

"But we have our own point of view and our own ideas that we plan to put forward."

Sabra said "the SNC is older than ... any other initiative" on the table, adding that no opposition group should be forced under the banner of another.

Also they're calling for military and other aid as a priority. I believe Qatar and so forth will unilaterally submit this request now that the groups have fulfilled the US's request, especially with a christian as leader of the coalition. These are positive steps in my opinion.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 11, 2012

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Oh and Israel has fired warning shots into Syria in response to mortar shells hitting the Golan Heights. I don't think much will eventuate from that though.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Here's the photo Drudge is using for that headline. It's from something totally unrelated that happened on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/explosion-seen-syrian-village-bariqa-close-ceasefire-line-photo-140045848.html

quote:

"A short while ago, a mortar shell targeted an IDF (Israel Defense Forces) post in the Golan Heights," said army spokeswoman Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich. "We answered with a warning shot toward Syrian areas. We understand this was a mistake and was not meant to target Israel and then that is why we fired a warning shot in retaliation."

Israel returned fire with an anti-tank missile.

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-drawn-syria-fighting-first-time-122327499.html;_ylt=A2KJjbyvzZ9QpEEAofrQtDMD

At first I was just posting to laugh at Drudge but now I wonder what Israel's missile hit.

AARO fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 11, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Oh and Israel has fired warning shots into Syria in response to mortar shells hitting the Golan Heights. I don't think much will eventuate from that though.

I'm quite curious as to what Syria is thinking as its seeing their shells hit the Golan Heights. To quote another poster from earlier, does Assad think war with Israel is just what the doctor ordered?

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
I just wanted to try one more time to see if anyone could help me understand how Assad is currently financing his war effort. I remember a couple of months ago seeing some articles saying that the regime was extremely strapped for cash and would run out of all foreign reserves in just a few weeks, I didn't know if we're still seeing the endgame of that or whether the government is already run on IOUs?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spacetimecontinuu posted:

I just wanted to try one more time to see if anyone could help me understand how Assad is currently financing his war effort. I remember a couple of months ago seeing some articles saying that the regime was extremely strapped for cash and would run out of all foreign reserves in just a few weeks, I didn't know if we're still seeing the endgame of that or whether the government is already run on IOUs?

Nobody is going to take an IOU from the Assad regime.

Except maybe the Russians.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Well, I figured that their military and other internal agencies might if they were especially dogmatic regime supporters, although I guess if you're still in any sort of position in the Syrian regime it's just because you're afraid of leaving. Sorry, it's interesting to watch states collapse piecemeal like this. So they're completely running on stockpiles at this point, right? No outside support at all flowing to Assad?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Well, I figured that their military and other internal agencies might if they were especially dogmatic regime supporters, although I guess if you're still in any sort of position in the Syrian regime it's just because you're afraid of leaving. Sorry, it's interesting to watch states collapse piecemeal like this. So they're completely running on stockpiles at this point, right? No outside support at all flowing to Assad?

The Pasdaran has its own revenue streams separate from the rest of the Iranian government and there's no reason to believe they've stopped financing the Assad government; at this point they've staked their entire credibility on Syria and they'll likely continue to support Assad until the end. Iranians are increasingly angry about money being blown on Syria as their own economy falls apart though, so there's likely going to be increasing friction between the clerics and the military dictatorship in Iran.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Corny posted:

I'm quite curious as to what Syria is thinking as its seeing their shells hit the Golan Heights. To quote another poster from earlier, does Assad think war with Israel is just what the doctor ordered?

Given the situation right now, the Syrian military command structure is going to value blind loyalty much more than competence. Assad's brutal, but he's not stupid enough to pick a war with Israel while he's trying to hold on to power in the middle of a huge civil war. More likely, some idiot in charge of a few dozen men and a few mortars decided that hey, there's some people over there and they aren't ours, let's shoot at them.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Syrian opposition destroy a key bridge to prevent reinforcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rk0RRAoh9U

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Supposedly just recognised by France

quote:

Syrian opposition finally forms unified coalition

The new body, which was born from long days of intensive meetings in Doha's five star hotels, was on Sunday baptised with the awkward title of Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces.

It represents the most concerted effort yet by the international community to bring together and back Syria's fractured dissident group.

Countries, including the US and Britain, have been pushing for a unified Syrian opposition body through which financial and military support can be channelled to the insurgency inside Syria. The US last week criticised the Syrian National Council, until now the main political opposition group outside of Syria, for failing to fulfil its role as leader of the revolution.

Ambassadors from the opposition's foreign allies, the Friends of Syria core group, had gathered at the conference to pressure the opposition into adopting the initiative.

International backers of the opposition fear that the changing events on the ground could lead to President Assad's rule collapsing and jihadist militias seizing the initiative in a power vacuum if no opposition body abroad is in a position to step in immediately.

I get the feeling at this point it's like watch two school buses crash into each other at high speed and taking sides.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
IDF fires warning shot into Syria after shelling

quote:

IDF targets Syria for first time since Yom Kippur War.

I guess Operation Orchard and the Ain es Saheb airstrike don't count. :shrug:

quote:

Israel has not fired at Syria since the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

Great reporting there, Jerusalem Post.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 11, 2012

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brown Moses posted:

Supposedly just recognised by France

I get the feeling at this point it's like watch two school buses crash into each other at high speed and taking sides.

France was one of the first nations to recognize Libya's new government as well.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
The French are eager to get back into the Middle Eastern / North African power broker scene they've been neglecting since the end of their little Algerian adventure.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

"The Battalion of One Man" in Daara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUVKl-_alY

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Smashurbanipal posted:

The French are eager to get back into the Middle Eastern / North African power broker scene they've been neglecting since the end of their little Algerian adventure.

It isn't in the news much but Françafrique is alive and well; don't forget for example what happened in Côte d'Ivoire.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:

quote:

#BREAKING Riad Saif: we have been, for the first time, promised to enable the FSA to defend Syrian people, with advanced arms within weeks.
https://twitter.com/hhassan140/status/267754009186668544
I cannot imagine Qatar pushing for this new coalition without green light, and possibly further plans by US/EU. The timing (right after US presidential elections) is also suggestive. Let's see how this develops.

In other news, SNC has started issuing and renewing passports via its consulate in Tripoli:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It was mentioned way back in this thread, but Russia's policy is pretty much to support any government that ruled a Soviet client state, so they've backed themselves into a corner and are sticking with Assad. The Cold War still lives on in a lot of ways.

• Locked thread