Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Early elementary school kids often use small whiteboards in school to practice handwriting now instead of chalk/small slates or worksheets/notebooks. Some programs include individual kits for students that have portable white boards in them.

The skill transfers very well to paper when its time for "actual writing" class.

I think Carthag Tuek was picturing a wall-mount sized whiteboard, like an instructor would use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sweeperbravo posted:

I think Carthag Tuek was picturing a wall-mount sized whiteboard, like an instructor would use.

Whitekeeping? Boardgating? Whatever it is I won’t stand for it, or sit with it on my lap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

sweeperbravo posted:

Early elementary school kids often use small whiteboards in school to practice handwriting now instead of chalk/small slates or worksheets/notebooks. Some programs include individual kits for students that have portable white boards in them.

How strange, I've never heard of kids in Australia using either whiteboards or slates.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, this kind of thing is very regional, varies even by country. In Europe, they mostly fell out of common use after World War 2, when everyone decided to switch to paper for purposes of getting kids used to proper pencils and handwriting sooner. Might be that if only for environmental reasons, schools are now switching back.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

At the risk of derailing, it also provides quick feedback to the teacher. "Show me what says "p"" and then I count down from 3 and then they have to hold up their board and show me. I can look at the whole class in 2 seconds and diagnose who needs more help. It also adds an element of fun and is easy and fast to erase, allowing kids to have more time practicing without going through 5 sheets of paper per day.

drat, I miss my job :smith:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/boy_chimney/status/1284155061057331204?s=21

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
THEY ARE NOT THEMSELVES

help

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

owns

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/OfficialMaggieL/status/1285643319989743619?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

TIFU by realizing I taught my son the wrong word for ribs.

A little backstory, So 3 weeks ago I bought a grill and was BBQing ribs(my first time) and they looked GOOD. So when I came back in from checking on them I yelled "Babe them ribs lookin SMACKALICIOUS!"(idk why I chose this word but it was the first one that came to mind) Then my 3 year old son copied me like "lookin mackawicious!" and I was like yeah SMACKALICIOUS! Giving him high fives and me and him was just repeating that they looked SMACKALICIOUS the whole time I was grilling. I didn't think much of it and my wife and I thought it was cute every time he would copy me and say "MACKAWICIOUS!" Now fast forward to yesterday, I grilled ribs again but this time I wasn't as excited as I knew what I was doing and knew they would be good. I never once called them smackalicious or anything of the sort. I pull em off the grill, put em on the island and am letting em cool down a bit when my son walks up to me with his plate and said "daddy can I have some mackawicious?" I was like "huh? some what" and he pointed at the ribs and said " SOME MACKAWICIOUS!" and I just started cracking up and look over at my wife who is shaking her head at me while holding back a laugh. I then put some on his plate and said "no buddy they are called ribs" and he smiles at me and says "nooo its a mackawicious!" So now I have to find out a way to turn the fun word of "mackawicious" into the boring word "ribs".

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
sounds like a good segue into a lesson on adjectives.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/1286961139994095616

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/laurawritesit/status/1288236476266840064?s=20

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That letter might be the more purestrain "little boy" thing I have ever seen or read anywhere in my entire life. "Sooooooo, once this whole virus thing blows over, coooould I maybe playwithyourdogmymomwon'tmehaveoneprettyplease? :ohdear:"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That pupper will be a big ol’ woofer by then.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kid will be fence friends with the dog no matter what :3:

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
https://twitter.com/MamaDoctorJones/status/1290872996467548161

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"I am sad. The bread helps, but I am still sad."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:actually: they're not bones.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beachcomber posted:

You can still call them that. Grape Nuts is neither grape nor nuts, yeah?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Beachcomber posted:

First of all, Titus Andromedon sang a whole song about how teeth are outside bones, so just WHO are YOU to say?

Second of all, the best part about teeth is that the tooth sockets are called GOMPHOSES.

Third, you're completely correct, but they're still part of the skeleton, so maybe they're boners.

Fourth, I googled "are teeth bones" just to be sure (I have an Msc in osteoarchaeology so I'm allowed to Google obvious questions about bones) and the autocomplete was "Are teeth bones or cartilage?"

CARTILAGE. I'm going back to bed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Obviously teeth are keratin, like rhino horns

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This is going to read like STDH but I swear this is true, I heard it with my own ears.

My mum was chatting with my little niece, who's three and a half. I didn't catch the start but this is how it went on:
"And are *you* a wiggly worm?"
"No! I'm a girl!"
"So what are you made of then? Sugar and spice and all things nice?"
"No! Skin!"

Then they got into what's *inside* a person that isn't skin. Kiddo said, "Blood!"
"Yes, and what else?"
"Um, bones."
"Yes, there--"
"And PAIN! Blood and bones and pain!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Craaawling in her skiiiin, there's blooood and bones and paaahaaain

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Give any part of your body a really good poke and you can feel the pain in there.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We are dangerously close to discovering the unified four humours/elements theory

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am sitting with an ~8 year old child coloring since it's early in the day and she's the only one in so far

Me: "Are you starting school soon?"
Her: "Yeah"
Me: "Will it be online?"
Her: "yeah on my computer"
Me: "Y'all are lucky when I was your age we couldn't have done that because the internet wasn't a thing"
Her: :stare: "HOW DID YOU LIVE?"

e: Also the revelation that we didn't have cell phones either, and that our first cell phones could only call or text not do anything else like play games, was met with similar incredulity

fast cars loose anus has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Aug 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

Me: "Y'all are lucky when I was your age we couldn't have done that because the internet wasn't a thing"
Her: :stare: "HOW DID YOU LIVE?"
God knows I wonder the same thing sometimes. I can't imagine how I even managed.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My son age 3 trying to recall the word 'calico'.

"No, the cat wasn't black and white it was a *search in progress*........ a telescope cat."

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

God knows I wonder the same thing sometimes. I can't imagine how I even managed.

If I really spend the time to think about it it's like I grew up on one planet and then moved to another. The number of things I just rely on having access to via the web now is crazy.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When I was 8 or so my parents took a picture of me in front of the White House and I did the Nixon double V sign. To this day we're not sure how I knew about that let alone why I did it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

ThingOne posted:

When I was 8 or so my parents took a picture of me in front of the White House and I did the Nixon double V sign. To this day we're not sure how I knew about that let alone why I did it.

That's hilarious! Would love to see it (but can understand if you're neither willing nor able)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My drat 8 year old was reminiscing about the days when "Old Town Road" was popular. She's gonna be a pioneer in bad "Stuff only 10s kids would know!" content.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

My drat 8 year old was reminiscing about the days when "Old Town Road" was popular. She's gonna be a pioneer in bad "Stuff only 10s kids would know!" content.

I was having a small group video chat with some first graders but only one showed up, so I asked him to show me a special souvenir from a vacation he ahd been on. He got an excited look in his eye and goes "I can show you this weird old toy we got when I was at [wherever the place was]."

I waited patiently as he went off screen and then returned with a fidget spinner

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Teketeketeketeke posted:

That's hilarious! Would love to see it (but can understand if you're neither willing nor able)

Unfortunately it's at my parents place. They framed it and hung it where everyone can see it as they enter the house.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sweeperbravo posted:

I was having a small group video chat with some first graders but only one showed up, so I asked him to show me a special souvenir from a vacation he ahd been on. He got an excited look in his eye and goes "I can show you this weird old toy we got when I was at [wherever the place was]."

I waited patiently as he went off screen and then returned with a fidget spinner

lmao that thing must be ancient to a first grader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Had a memory come up on Facebook recently about the social media generation discovering magic eye pictures, and some little poo poo commented, "my Dad has a whole book of these!" I could feel the grey hairs growing. I'm only loving 32.