Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I have many issues with the astrophysics, physics and math in this episode.

I'm building a working theory that writers don't do any research...

Yeah I mean forget the throwing the Fort into FTL thing (see there just so happened to be a boom tube and then...) the whole communications aspect didn't make much sense either. I can buy that they've got some sort of FTL comms mojo between the Legion ship and all the crap they've surely recovered over the years, but the bouncing off Voyager 2 stuff just doesn't really jive. Plus the orbital mechanics involved with the plunge into the sun were just straight hosed. At the same time, hey it's got radiation that targets dudes exclusively so it's a pretty loving weird part of space, or this is some sort of comic-book TV show where you make poo poo up I guess?

As to the apparent nerfing of Saturn girl? I'm pretty sure they can't have her being too overpowered for plot purposes as well as thematic ones; she's already replaced Kara in Mon-El's life and she's 100% chill with the whole situation and isn't being lovely about it. Having her use her actual range of abilities is probably going to push her into Mary Sue territory and alienate that portion of the audience that are way too deep into their shipping.

Regardless of all that crap, I loved this episode. The Alex and Ruby side plot should have been just the worst but the talent of the performers involved saved the whole thing, which is a minor miracle when you've got a character that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Livewire's makeup didn't do the actor any favors in close up shots. It highlited every flaw on her face, like ouch.

Its too bad she's dead, she and Mick would have been made for each other. I had completely forgotten about Psi though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

J33uk posted:

Yeah I mean forget the throwing the Fort into FTL thing (see there just so happened to be a boom tube and then...) the whole communications aspect didn't make much sense either. I can buy that they've got some sort of FTL comms mojo between the Legion ship and all the crap they've surely recovered over the years, but the bouncing off Voyager 2 stuff just doesn't really jive. Plus the orbital mechanics involved with the plunge into the sun were just straight hosed. At the same time, hey it's got radiation that targets dudes exclusively so it's a pretty loving weird part of space, or this is some sort of comic-book TV show where you make poo poo up I guess?

As to the apparent nerfing of Saturn girl? I'm pretty sure they can't have her being too overpowered for plot purposes as well as thematic ones; she's already replaced Kara in Mon-El's life and she's 100% chill with the whole situation and isn't being lovely about it. Having her use her actual range of abilities is probably going to push her into Mary Sue territory and alienate that portion of the audience that are way too deep into their shipping.

Regardless of all that crap, I loved this episode. The Alex and Ruby side plot should have been just the worst but the talent of the performers involved saved the whole thing, which is a minor miracle when you've got a character that age.

The thing that made me laugh was the ridonkulous speed it travelled, and fell into a pretty naff orbit. Like it was pulling in for drive through.

^ I noticed that about Livewire's make up, terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just hope the Leigon and their sweetass ship stick around for a while, because I want to see at least one scene of it and the Waverider flying together and blowing poo poo up in next year's crossover.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

I just hope the Leigon and their sweetass ship stick around for a while, because I want to see at least one scene of it and the Waverider flying together and blowing poo poo up in next year's crossover.

I hope the Cosplay codename sticks around for a bit.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lmfao the light of a blue star kills the male of ANY species??

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

don't worry about it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autism Sneaks posted:

I dunno, but they be hot enough to gently caress you right up as far as a light year away. Give or take....

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Ville Valo posted:

I was sure Psi left some kind of secret code word in Irma's head that, when spoken, would turn her against Supergirl.

Then I was sure Livewire was going to get super-juiced-up from Rozz's futuristic electric power plant.

Then none of these things happened.

My theory was that J'Onn had switched places with one of the girls, since he was insistent on wanting to join the mission. There was even a quip about Psi "looking a little green".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Anyone with a Y chromosome.

All life in the universe is DNA-based. And light from this star somehow discriminates what permutation of DNA an individual has before causing damage. And the Legion can travel faster than light as well as through time.

It’s still better science than The Runaways.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised that nobody else has commented on the fact that Supergirl apparently threw Fort Rozz faster than light and into deep space at the end of season 1. Also kind of hosed up that they were okay with the fact that there were still prisoners on there.

It bugged me, the same with how they where able to have instant communications from earth to Fort Rozz or how blue suns apparently kills men. Like all the space stuff was best ignored this episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

don't worry about it

and don't ask what the light of pink stars does

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Our sun isn't even yellow, its white. Stupid Kryptonians.... and now they are all dead.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Livewire seems like an easy enough character to bring back, at least. "Oh, my electricity surged into the Legion ship's batteries at the last second and I finally recharged enough to take physical form again!"

Also, why didn't they swing by Mars on the way out to grab Miss Martian?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klungar posted:

Livewire seems like an easy enough character to bring back, at least. "Oh, my electricity surged into the Legion ship's batteries at the last second and I finally recharged enough to take physical form again!"

Also, why didn't they swing by Mars on the way out to grab Miss Martian?

No time to explain...

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

kjetting posted:

My theory was that J'Onn had switched places with one of the girls, since he was insistent on wanting to join the mission. There was even a quip about Psi "looking a little green".

Wouldn't he have died to the man killing sun?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Its too bad she's dead, she and Mick would have been made for each other.

Yeah, because being dead totally means you can’t be on Legends of Tomorrow. :rolleyes:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Atreiden posted:

Wouldn't he have died to the man killing sun?

It would have been easily handwaved away. Martian biology is different. See, I just did it in four words.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So who is Indestructible Black Woman at the end?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

kjetting posted:

It would have been easily handwaved away. Martian biology is different. See, I just did it in four words.

But then he could just go there. Why would he pretend to be a female human villain if he could just go there?

Alter Ego posted:

So who is Indestructible Black Woman at the end?

Another worldkiller

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish Kara filled out her Suicide Squad a bit more, having a couple people not making it back would've felt like the stakes were a little more raised. Livewire blowing those phantom ladies out into space was pretty hardcore tho.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

^ I noticed that about Livewire's make up, terrible.

The only time I really noticed how bad it was was her waitressing stint. I wrote it off as her trying makeup to blend in with the populace and making it worse, because Leslie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

The only time I really noticed how bad it was was her waitressing stint. I wrote it off as her trying makeup to blend in with the populace and making it worse, because Leslie.

Fair point, and it was outside.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ville Valo posted:

I was sure Psi left some kind of secret code word in Irma's head that, when spoken, would turn her against Supergirl.

Then I was sure Livewire was going to get super-juiced-up from Rozz's futuristic electric power plant The computer core of the DEO The evil Martian Base That slave base from the teleporter/red sun episode Maybe also that stadium where the bomb was going to go off? Wait I guess this time it is Fort Rozz.

Then none of these things happened.

Ftfy

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 25, 2018

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
So with Fort Rozz gone, what is Supergirl's kill count to? Has to be close to Barry with the number of "red dots" they showed as prisoners still on the ship.

I guess they still have that prisoner with the club on the Legion ship. Would be funny if she is never mentioned again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Burning_Monk posted:

So with Fort Rozz gone, what is Supergirl's kill count to? Has to be close to Barry with the number of "red dots" they showed as prisoners still on the ship.

I guess they still have that prisoner with the club on the Legion ship. Would be funny if she is never mentioned again.

They restored its orbit. I'm sure it has plenty of food and water. Now that the Y-chromosome havers are dead, they can eat them, too. Still better than the clear cubes with a bench / bed and nothing else that the DEO puts high risk prisoners in.

Edit: also, some vision-having priestess Rozz turned out to be. Didn't even see that Reign was going to murder her, turned her back and everything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm not so sure Mon-El's advice is any better than when he was younger.

"Kara, you got through to Livewire. You can get through to Reign."
"uh... didn't livewire die because she teamed up with me"
"NOT MY POINT"

e: that speech probably would've worked better with Psi is what I'm saying :haw:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I love how Supergirl is all like "upgrade her lovely, locked-up-forever-no-parole cell to one with a window" and Psi actually looks like that was an olive branch of friendship or something.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mortanis posted:

I love how Supergirl is all like "upgrade her lovely, locked-up-forever-no-parole cell to one with a window" and Psi actually looks like that was an olive branch of friendship or something.

She just left a dank, decaying space prison where, because of Supergirl, half of the inmates were dead. I'm sure she realizes it could be worse.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Psi is clearly they're best weapon against Reign, better lock her back up immediately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness she's still kind of a psycho who attacked Saturn Girl for no clear reason.

Or did that get explained and I just missed it?

I thought it was weirder that Kara hadn't made more female friends with powers who hadn't tried to kill her. Like, did we break Alex's leg just so Kara would have to turn to psychos? Her best option was her ex's wife she just met a couple of weeks ago? Kara needs more friends in her own universe.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 26, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it was just a reflexive lashing out on Psi's part.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I trust Psi more than I trust Saturn Girl, to be honest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

I think it was just a reflexive lashing out on Psi's part.

Yeah, that's my assumption as well but its not exactly a trust building move.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spoiler warning.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Is it a spoiler if they've already done it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And on Legends* too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

Spoiler warning.

I am the dark hair poking out from under the blond wig.

Kara is is going to Steve Universe everything and make friends with all her enemies. Though we could use some good women with powers. Is Starfire on Titans?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Though we could use some good women with powers. Is Starfire on Titans?

They've got a lot of stuff to fix about Starfire before I'd want to see her on non-animated tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

They've got a lot of stuff to fix about Starfire before I'd want to see her on non-animated tv

The biggest issue is her old penchant for revealing costumes. Even in recent comics that's been toned down a bit. Nowadays, she's basically team mom/big sister to the Teen Titans