Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

Okay new plan: disenfranchise everybody except me.

No me.

One man, one vote. I am the man and I have the vote.

1983: Official birth of the Internet and the re-election of Thatcher. Humanity never recovers.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LemonDrizzle posted:

That probably wouldn't work very well because you're eligible to pay tax from the moment you are born:

https://www.jonathanford.co.uk/actors/childrens-tax/
There’s a common misconception that children don’t need to hand over any of their earned income from acting/modelling/voiceovers to the taxman. Unfortunately that’s not the case.
Regardless of age we all have to pay tax on earned income. We do all have a personal allowance though so if your income is below this amount (£10,000 for 2014/15) then there’s no tax due.

Yeah, but at 16 compulsory education ends so that starts the period of full time work for a whole bunch of people. I have a pretty big problem with extracting the labour of people full-time but not giving them franchise into how society is run.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Breath Ray posted:

Have countries with a 16 limit enjoyed more left wing governments?

Cuba :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

oh no.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Good enough for me; motion carried.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I wish this happened more often.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Biggus Dickus posted:

I'm shocked he could get an ambulance in London.

This. When I knocked someone out playing football in regents park I had to drag him to the clinic at great portland st. loving conservative despatchers looking to undermine corbs should have told him to put some ice on it or get a taxi

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Anyone who claims that 16 year olds are too stupid to vote needs to watch the guardian video of the guy who says that he hates the Tories and the cuts they've implemented, but Jeremy Corbyn isn't going to win so he's voting for the Tories

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TheRat posted:

I wish this happened more often.

It happens a lot, it just normally doesn't get reported on. The royal watch is one of the more high risk journo briefs for example, with nearly everyone who does it having at least one story of being run over by a royal along the way.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't think cameramen set the BBC's editorial stance, and I hope he's OK.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think cameramen set the BBC's editorial stance, and I hope he's OK.

It's hard to tell the difference between a BBC cameraman and a paparazzi these days. They're like flies on a carcass. It's a loving disgrace that it's acceptable to swarm people like they do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its all going on in newcastle

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

FAKE NEWS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

should make the boats wait for a bridge to take them over the road imo

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Looks like another stand-down to help out in potential battlegrounds:

https://twitter.com/petesaull/status/862605244001374208

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTn7V2I-qE4

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Reminder that australia has both mandatory voting and preference voting, and they elect a bunch of ethnic nationalists who put refugees into concentration camps

Voters are not inherently good and well meaning people

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/eldavemachine/status/862648432615448576

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sapozhnik posted:

Reminder that australia has both mandatory voting and preference voting, and they elect a bunch of ethnic nationalists who put refugees into concentration camps

Voters are not inherently good and well meaning people

At least the system accurately represents how reprehensible Australians are? You get undemocratic and poo poo results.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

When was the vote lowered to 18 in Britain? I'm sure if you looked at letters to the editor at the time it'd be the exact same loving arguments against letting 18 year olds vote, because I know they were in Australia.
or indeed against letting women vote

(1970 btw to answer your question)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

On the whole I think this leak will benefit Labour. Corbyn has just given a statement basically saying 'wait for it' and taken no questions, so essentially they are going to get the opportunity to release a manifesto twice, with the added bonus of both back-footing the Tories and the current situation of having policies but refusing to talk about them fueling the media speculation. Then you'll get another frenzy when the official manifesto drops with people looking for differences. And as another win, the Tories are hampered in their ability to rebut Labour right now in case Labour just changes the official manifesto.

Could have gone worse.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Corbyn is not a true leftist. He ran over the foot of a man. A bourgeois move.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

This takes the vote away from quite a lot of people who currently have it. Was that your intent?

Yes (caveating again for people required to be on service overseas). My criteria:

1. Want to vote.
2. Actually live in the place that will be subject to the government you are voting for. No voting for the people back home to live in a neoliberal hellhole/get taxed of every last penny while you intend to live happily under an entirely different regime.
3. Be a citizen (citizenship should be Belgian style easy to get). You should have gone to the effort of some symbolic gesture of loyalty to this country to show that you identify with it and it's community of people and are voting in our collective interests rather than in the interests of someone who will get on a plane back home if things go too wrong.

Note I'm totally cool with prisoner voting. My criteria taketh from some and giveth to others.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the middle class voting option these days now that tories only care about billionaires and labour care about poors?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Labour. Because you're more than likely going to be poor soon.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bape Culture posted:

What's the middle class voting option these days now that tories only care about billionaires and labour care about poors?

Sell your vote.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

On the whole I think this leak will benefit Labour. Corbyn has just given a statement basically saying 'wait for it' and taken no questions, so essentially they are going to get the opportunity to release a manifesto twice, with the added bonus of both back-footing the Tories and the current situation of having policies but refusing to talk about them fueling the media speculation. Then you'll get another frenzy when the official manifesto drops with people looking for differences. And as another win, the Tories are hampered in their ability to rebut Labour right now in case Labour just changes the official manifesto.

Could have gone worse.

This is how you know it wasn't deliberate

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Other than fox hunting and the fuel price cap, I don't think I could even name another Tory policy. And I'm quite interested in politics. Is it just me being oblivious?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Firos posted:

Other than fox hunting and the fuel price cap, I don't think I could even name another Tory policy. And I'm quite interested in politics. Is it just me being oblivious?
You've missed the big one mate which is a twin promise of strength and stability.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bape Culture posted:

They'll think about voting Lib Dem if they can win in their area but probably vote Tory, because the middle class ultimately identify with those with more money than them than people with less.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

They'll think about voting Lib Dem if they can win in their area but probably vote Tory, because the middle class ultimately identify with those with more money than them than people with less.
What about the literally millions of middle class Labour voters, or do they not count?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Firos posted:

A hard, throbbing Brexit

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

jBrereton posted:

What about the literally millions of middle class Labour voters, or do they not count?

Just very shy Tories.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Firos posted:

In the immortal words of GDT:

1) More money for us;
2) gently caress you

There's your tory policy.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone should set up a more centralist party I think.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

There's no such thing as middle class, hth.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

haakman posted:

In the immortal words of GDT:

1) More money for us;
2) gently caress you

There's your tory policy.

I thought this went without saying. I mean more specifically how they're going to gently caress us; turgid, purple brexit aside.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Alchenar posted:

Yes (caveating again for people required to be on service overseas). My criteria:

1. Want to vote.
2. Actually live in the place that will be subject to the government you are voting for. No voting for the people back home to live in a neoliberal hellhole/get taxed of every last penny while you intend to live happily under an entirely different regime.
3. Be a citizen (citizenship should be Belgian style easy to get). You should have gone to the effort of some symbolic gesture of loyalty to this country to show that you identify with it and it's community of people and are voting in our collective interests rather than in the interests of someone who will get on a plane back home if things go too wrong.

Note I'm totally cool with prisoner voting. My criteria taketh from some and giveth to others.

how strictly are you defining "required" to be overseas? cos students at non-UK universities, or employees of multi-nationals working at an overseas office are totally different from someone who's gone to the Canaries with no intention of ever returning.

UK citizens abroad are still represented by the UK government in international negotiations and the like. and still have to fall back on UK consular services rather than that of their resident country when things go wrong. so it seems just that they have a say in choosing that government.
look at what's happened to all the UK citizens working in the EU who are being left in limbo.

of course, Brits abroad should be paying UK tax still something like USA citizens abroad do. no representation without taxation after all. which would have the added bonus of weakening one of the planks support for huge tuition fee - that a non insignificant number of graduates leave without ever paying for their education through the higher rates of income tax or a specific graduate tax.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just very shy Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Praseodymi posted:

There's no such thing as middle class, hth.

How so?

• Locked thread