Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also I'm late to saying this cause it's been about two seasons already, but Daniel looks way better with long hair. GROW IT BACK!

Seconding this. The minute he beefed up and cut his hair he lost a lot of his original personality, truly disappointing.

It is really funny in a later episode where they're supposed to be more or less the season 1 versions of themselves and they have to put him in a wig and dress him in baggy sweaters to try and hide how weirdly yoked he is now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think it makes perfect in-show sense that Daniel would get jacked. He's a member of the flagship SG team, and he's expected to perform a lot of military maneuvers and operations, not just archeology/diplomat stuff. As such, off screen, he must have gone through a ton of training, since he started with zero experience. Part of that training no doubt is conditioning. SG teams have to be fit.
We see him lifting with Teal'c in a later season, which makes total sense to me. Like, why wouldn't he?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Being Ascended is like being in prison, the only thing they let you do for fun there is work out

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owl at Home posted:

Being Ascended is like being in prison, the only thing they let you do for fun there is work out

Blasting Abs with Oma Desala

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RIP Apophis again. Maybe this time will stick.

Replicators have got to stop trying to enter atmospheres when SG-1 is nearby

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was a hell of successful mission.

Sg-1, your robot clones are in danger. You have the go to assist if you want.

(2 days later Kronos is dead, Apophis is dead and his entire fleet and significant portion of his planet is destroyed)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I think it makes perfect in-show sense that Daniel would get jacked. He's a member of the flagship SG team, and he's expected to perform a lot of military maneuvers and operations, not just archeology/diplomat stuff. As such, off screen, he must have gone through a ton of training, since he started with zero experience. Part of that training no doubt is conditioning. SG teams have to be fit.
We see him lifting with Teal'c in a later season, which makes total sense to me. Like, why wouldn't he?

"I lost all my game while I was a white glowing wisp thing; Teal'c, will you help me out?"
"Observe Daniel Jackson, and you will indeed become a powerful underling"

<a few eps later>

*Teal'c makes very friendly diplomatic relations with a super hot blonde Lady Jaffa*
*13 year old girl who has just hit puberty gets a crush on Daniel*

Shanks: "...is this revenge?"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any material that explains how the Taur'i fought off the Goa'uld originally? And why they never tried to invade Earth again until Apophis got horny one night and started drunk dialing random planets looking for a wife?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Is there any material that explains how the Taur'i fought off the Goa'uld originally? And why they never tried to invade Earth again until Apophis got horny one night and started drunk dialing random planets looking for a wife?

Overwhelming uprising against Ra and then burying the gate until it was unearthed in the 50s.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Two episodes in a row with John Delancie, I am eating tonight

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lol that if this didn't happen, earth would still be occasionally puttering around on a decrepit space station that smells like farts and doing nothing else in space

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

No need to go back to Earth - had plenty of worshippers/slaves at Abydos (and other planets, eventually) mining Naquadah.

As for Apophis - probably only tried Earth because Ra had recently ate a nuke to the face, System Lords power struggle was probably in full swing, and figured that ex-Ra planets (Earth, Abydos, etc) might be up for the taking.

And, er, yea, probably wanted a hot host for his ready-to-pop wife. Can't blame the guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They didn't need to go back to earth, but I feel like after getting kicked out they would not let that poo poo stand

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They "lost" earth they didn't know how to physically get there by ship only by gate and the address was deleted from their database at somepoint and lost. Early on it's a big deal trying to get the Earth address.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They took my CometTV!

lol I have all the DVD's, but there's something distinctly different about just turning on a TV and there it is, as opposed to putting in a DVD. That feels like a committment.

I am watching the DVD's of Atlantis though, my first time watching since I watched S1 long ago.

S4 kicks rear end so far! The show really took it up a notch.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
plus it was around 4000-5000 years ago, it'd make sense that Goa'uld tech wasn't that as awesome back then - even if Earth <--> Abydos was next door, it wouldn't be a quick trip.

After warming up with season 1+2, peaking with 3+4+5, crashing hard with s6 (Jonas you got screwed hard), and getting through the course corrections of s7 - it's time to bask in the glory of s8.

The question I ask myself each time - should I watch a SG1 episode and then alternate with a SGA episode (since they were basically broadcast on the same day), or should I go for a full season instead?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

plus it was around 4000-5000 years ago, it'd make sense that Goa'uld tech wasn't that as awesome back then - even if Earth <--> Abydos was next door, it wouldn't be a quick trip.

After warming up with season 1+2, peaking with 3+4+5, crashing hard with s6 (Jonas you got screwed hard), and getting through the course corrections of s7 - it's time to bask in the glory of s8.

The question I ask myself each time - should I watch a SG1 episode and then alternate with a SGA episode (since they were basically broadcast on the same day), or should I go for a full season instead?

If you go back and forth between SG1 and SG2, it's only for two season. If it's not a huge hassle it's probably worth it.

I don't think there's that much direct episode to episode connection (IE something happens on SG1 and is then followed up on the next episode of SGA), and you'll remember most of it anyways, IMO. Works either way.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Moebius 2-parter.

Also In the movie they mention that Ra lost interest in Earth after the rebellion.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Atlantis is fine to watch season for season. I think you'll cover any cross over by watching the season opener and mid season opener back to back (remember these had mid seasons breaks). I think there's a few where there's a slight emotional of theme thread that continues but not plot if you really want to get the authentic experience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What would you do as a first time watcher cause that's where I will be in a couple months

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

They "lost" earth they didn't know how to physically get there by ship only by gate and the address was deleted from their database at somepoint and lost. Early on it's a big deal trying to get the Earth address.

Daniel theorized they went back in 750 to nab the Orbanians (the people who had kids learn stuff and they lobotomize them so everyone else can learn it)

Edit: Also Sokar went back to nab some Christians

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Daniel theorized they went back in 750 to nab the Orbanians (the people who had kids learn stuff and they lobotomize them so everyone else can learn it)

Edit: Also Sokar went back to nab some Christians

Sokar's little private Middle Ages, Featuring HELL! Was a fun little storyline.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Apothis

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What would you do as a first time watcher cause that's where I will be in a couple months

if you want to interleave them, do that. if it's too much hassle, don't

i messed up what order to put atlantis in so i did that a season later, and there's a plot-thread in sg1 that gets only completed in the atlantis pilot, so it just gets dropped weirdly

i dont feel that made my season of sg1 wondering about that plot thread worse tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speaking of SGA, I watched the S4 episode "Quarantine" yesterday morning, and wow!
I had a legit fear of heights moment! Shepard has to break a window and climb 8 stories of the main tower, no ropes or barely any handholds, 1000 feet straight down drop. I broke out into a sweat, palms went wet, it was wild. I'm sweating thinking about! I could not believe my reaction. I legit had to look away. The episode also features a claustrophobia scene, but I got no problem with that. Amusingly, later in the episode, Shepard has to climb back down, along with Lorne, and two techs from Ops. We don't see any of it, but LOL if I'm to believe those two techs climbed down freestyle. NO FRIGGING WAY. Great episode though, Season 4 is awesome.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Apothis, Apothat. Apropos of nothing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"Apo this", says Trinity, squeezing the trigger.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think Earth just has too many humans to be worth holding - the off-world colonies are much more manageable and have the jaffa system.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My lord Apophis, the tau'ri Jack O'Neil has sent some kind of device through the gate. It is a large metal cylinder with a clock that is counting down. Someone has written strange markings on the side, which say "Apo... Deez.... Nuts".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Apophis was a little bich rear end System Lord

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Apophis was a little bich rear end System Lord

who the gently caress do you think you are

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

He was a lot easier to take seriously once he grew out his hair and they stopped putting him in a golden swim cap.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

He was a lot easier to take seriously once he grew out his hair and they stopped putting him in a golden swim cap.

Here he's accessorizing with the Borg 7 of 9 face implant collection. A bold choice, as he must depend upon his worm and coffin to keep the nanobots at bay. The Replicators went after him in order to eradicate the Borg nanobots.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He'd been Sokarized

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RIP The Tollan

They died the way they lived - as dumbasses

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

RIP The Tollan

They died the way they lived - as dumbasses

The greatest minds of a civilization, unable to make it the final 30 feet to the gate.

The signs were definitely there from the beginning

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

who the gently caress do you think you are

Man the snake helmets were so cool looking

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Probably a pain in the rear end (and neck) to wear for very long though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Scratch Monkey posted:

Probably a pain in the rear end (and neck) to wear for very long though

I think I read somewhere that the opening/closing snap could be a little dangerous for the actor, since it could snag on their face or nose - especially if they were using a cheap generic one, instead of a custom one for x actor.

Too bad they didn't have the budget for a full suite of effects like the movie unmasking