Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

smg77 posted:

Did NCDot seriously threaten to take back all their sov if they shot at the egg with their little talwar fleet? :laffo:

I can't confirm or deny that. I just heard there was some kind of problem.

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

autism chariot posted:

Is that their second one? I thought I recalled reading about them losing one a couple of months back.

Think so. It is at least the third in the past 4 months (1 CVA, 1 BNI, 1 BCA).

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

It also bears considering that the people who got digi'd and (allegedly) doxxed and cry "omfg it's just a game why u take it so seriously creeper" are also the same people who took that game seriously enough to make a fake online identity for the purpose of befriending and spying on other people playing that game. There's a thick steaming pile of hypocrisy underneath that turd.

The way I look at it is like this:

It's not ok to punch people in the face randomly, but if you're in a boxing ring, not only is it ok, but in the act of signing up for a boxing match, you should have expected it to happen, so I have little sympathy if you start crying about it.

As a result, I also have little sympathy for pubbies who cry about awoxing when playing eve. They say "it's not fair, I just assumed this person was good because that's what normal people do, and he screwed me over". That's the game you signed up for. Not playing it is as simple as not logging in, but if you do, you're in the game. No one complains that normal people don't order their subordinates to kill your subordinates when playing a game of chess.

When it comes to doxxing spies and outing FC's as gay, again, that's the game you signed up for. It's the high stakes game-within-a-game, the meta-game, that eve is so famous for. Some people enjoy those stakes, and if you don't enjoy them why did you choose to get involved?

I don't play the meta. I'm just a line grunt, I don't give a poo poo, I don't get involved. You don't have to be involved in the meta, and if you are involved and change your mind, you can leave the meta. It'll probably involve shutting down all your accounts, waiting 6 months and then rolling a totally clean one and staying disinvolved, but you can leave if you want to.

So the only middle ground left in this situation is the whole "digi will log my IP when I join GSF and cross-reference it against other information he has". You don't have to choose to be in the meta to get hit by that, and yeah, that's a little concerning. But google does the same thing every time I use their search engine. Would I prefer google and digi to both not do it?

Definitely. But you can't pretend that's somehow socially unacceptable, and he's a monster for doing it. Pretty much every website anyone uses does it. If you don't like digi doing it, why do you take it from facebook?

How can you condemn digi for logging aspects of your IRL identity from the information you freely give him (IP, login time et al, you could be using Tor or a VPN if it worried you), and yet not be ultra-mad at what Microsoft is doing with windows 8->10, with the whole "to use your local computer, please give us your name, phone number, country of origin, age and a second email address" thing?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 12, 2014

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Sir_Substance posted:

When it comes to doxxing spies and outing FC's as gay, again, that's the game you signed up for. It's the high stakes game-within-a-game, the meta-game, that eve is so famous for. Some people enjoy those stakes, and if you don't enjoy them why did you choose to get involved?

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Sir_Substance posted:

It's not ok to punch people in the face randomly, but if you're in a boxing ring, not only is it ok, but in the act of signing up for a boxing match, you should have expected it to happen, so I have little sympathy if you start crying about it.

As a result, I also have little sympathy for pubbies who cry about awoxing when playing eve. They say "it's not fair, I just assumed this person was good because that's what normal people do, and he screwed me over". That's the game you signed up for. Not playing it is as simple as not logging in, but if you do, you're in the game. No one complains that normal people don't order their subordinates to kill your subordinates when playing a game of chess.

I don't play the meta. I'm just a line grunt, I don't give a poo poo, I don't get involved. You don't have to be involved in the meta, and if you are involved and change your mind, you can leave the meta. It'll probably involve shutting down all your accounts, waiting 6 months and then rolling a totally clean one and staying disinvolved, but you can leave if you want to.

So the only middle ground left in this situation is the whole "digi will log my IP when I join GSF and cross-reference it against other information he has". You don't have to choose to be in the meta to get hit by that, and yeah, that's a little concerning. But google does the same thing every time I use their search engine. Would I prefer google and digi to both not do it?

Definitely. But you can't pretend that's somehow socially unacceptable, and he's a monster for doing it. Pretty much every website anyone uses does it. If you don't like digi doing it, why do you take it from facebook?

How can you condemn digi for logging aspects of your IRL identity from the information you freely give him (IP, login time et al, you could be using Tor or a VPN if it worried you), and yet not be ultra-mad at what Microsoft is doing with windows 8->10, with the whole "to use your local computer, please give us your name, phone number, country of origin, age and a second email address" thing?

Yeah, I don't think anyone signed up to be outed as gay by deciding to play EVE: Online: A Bad Game.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Sir_Substance posted:

Pictured: someone defending the Manny incident.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Don't worry guys, I'm out of school too, if all goes well I'll hopefully be out-shitposting them within the week.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sir_Substance posted:

Outing someone as a homosexual on the internet contributes directly or indirectly to the success of our wonderful spaceship guild because:

I mean really, from the sound of it it was universally regarded as hosed Up™, so that leads me to my next question: what game did you sign up for?

Content: I've been eyeing reactions as the next step beyond market crap. Various chitchat around Theta and in HomeEc gave me some hope that I could find a barren moon somewhere remotely close to YA0.

Who am I kidding though, it's all goonrushed to gently caress. :arghfist::sigh:

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 12, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sir_Substance posted:

There are probably like eight different red text AVs that could be made out of this and you would deserve all of them.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sir_Substance posted:

hahahahahahaahahha

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

"I fly spaceships on another monitor and click a button every minute and that poo poo is HARDCORE like a loving boxing ring also if you're gay you deserve to be outed online"

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

EVE Online: a game clearly advertised as being about RL harassment, and that does not explicitly forbid such in the terms of service.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir_Substance posted:

This is a joke right? You cannot be serious posting this.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

Outing someone as a homosexual on the internet contributes directly or indirectly to the success of our wonderful spaceship guild because:

I mean really, from the sound of it it was universally regarded as hosed Up™, so that leads me to my next question: what game did you sign up for?

Content: I've been eyeing reactions as the next step beyond market crap. Various chitchat around Theta and in HomeEc gave me some hope that I could find a barren moon somewhere remotely close to YA0.

Anyone interested in a 15 tower setup that I will import 2 weeks of w.e you want to run for, PM syndic_thrass@goonfleet.com if interested.

gently caress this effort, I'll do it because it makes me a shitload of money, PM me if you want to :effort: for money instead of me.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Chomp8645 posted:

There are probably like eight different red text AVs that could be made out of this and you would deserve all of them.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO BE OUTED AS GAY THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING INTERNET SPACESHIPS?

I already bought myself an av this month. I must practice financial discipline. :(

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

poo poo like that gets posted then people go "no Widestancer is the problem" calling it now

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sir_Substance posted:

:goonsay:

I too enjoy playing serious business spaceship games where people regularly post each other's real life details. If you didn't know, every gay we out and publicly shame is another spaceship saved.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Cenodoxus posted:

Join the gs_isk channel on jabber, there's usually a graphic with 'towers:moons' in the topic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Libluini posted:

Wasn't Miniluv the Ministry of Love from 1984, or am I confusing this with something from Clockwork Orange?

No, the stupid name of the ship. Bowhead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vyst posted:

Argghh come plunder some booty on the HMS Megan's Law

Vyst, you still have the good posting gene.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I didn't realise there was this much disapproval of personal responsibility in the eve community.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sir_Substance posted:

I didn't realise there was this much disapproval of personal responsibility in the eve community.

:yikes:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Widestancer posted:

poo poo like that gets posted then people go "no Widestancer is the problem" calling it now

At this point you're closer to the moral compass nobody wants to be reminded they still have.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Widestancer posted:

You are ~also~ the problem!

It's not a yes/no binary thing, you can both be a problem! You and he, and the guy who toxx'd himself but not really, and the creepy dude with the plunger fetish can in fact all be problems!

This thread needs more ullerm posts about fitting things, and less dubiously adult opinions about sexuality and how ~meta~ badposters are.

I found out I could get isboxer to launch steam which in turn launches other games in the same set as my eve incursion/mission guy. It's pretty nice as a way to do the semi-tedious isk grinding thing while playing games with better non-player content. My only complaint is that it can't figure out when I'm done and properly close down dxnothing, but having to kill a process isn't the worst thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir_Substance posted:

There's a difference between an operating system collecting data, or a video game monitoring the programs running on your computer to look for hack tools etc. and loving digging around on the internet or inside someones computer to find incriminating posts or pictures on a facebook page or other thing, and then spreading them in the public eye. You're a retard.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sir_Substance posted:

There's a pretty fine line between comparing IP addresses to catch spies, and posting people's dating profiles to :iceburn: somebody on a lovely website.

:efb but seriously don't be dumb

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Sir_Substance posted:

"personal responsibility" :cripes:

Digital Ebola
Jun 1, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cenodoxus posted:

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO BE OUTED AS GAY THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING INTERNET SPACESHIPS?

I already bought myself an av this month. I must practice financial discipline. :(

I really didn't want to engage on the topic but I can never stop myself from making horrible posts. For one, I'm not sure if that post was sincere or not, but yes, the meta functions on a completely different level. People play rough. Someday, I might be able to tell all about it, when this game is dust and we've moved on. There are battles going on that people never read or hear about. A battle of wits that I play every drat day, whether I want to or not because the meta doesn't ever shut off or take a downtime.

I won't go into too much about the Manny thing. It happened, I apologized. There is a narrative that everyone likes and there is what happened. In either narrative, I made the mistake. It was a great game of chess and I literally picked up the chess board and threw it at my opponent after I had already won. Was Manny in or out? To my knowledge, he wasn't in, but that didn't matter, because I went to Okcupid, picked out the unsecured profile that flagged on a Google search and waved it around. It took months to get him. Months. Picked up the case several times, sat it back down. Waited for data. It took coordination and it took saving every scrap of info I could find and then I had to wait for that Eureka moment, which doesn't come as easily as one would think. It was a massive amount work for not just me but many others. The decision to execute a Titan is not something we make lightly. It had to be sure and certain. It was and I won against an opponent that probably has more meta experience that most. I wanted people to know it and I'm pretty certain he understood that about me and that was my downfall to lead to such a mistake.

A wise man once told me that big dogs don't bark. I try not to these days. It sometimes sucks because people don't see the real victories very often. They also don't get to see the human side very often either. You think it's all google and ban lists? Try frantically trying to find a missing Vio after the Boston bombing. Or the random suicide watch that happens and people are desperate to find out if someone is okay. I won't even begin to talk about 2012 but let me say, I was as close to broken as one could ever be and we still managed to do good works through it all, as many senior SA mods can attest. And I still relive that night and the days that follow in my head. And the conversations before. And deal with a certain emptiness every morning while I have coffee before work.

I was asked by someone to keep Goons safe. It sounds silly because it's a video game but it's a video game where the strong survive, the weak crumble and where acting, lies, treachery and deceit are perfectly legal. Unfortunately, until that changes, there will some rear end in a top hat working that angle and someone like me there to try to catch it.

If you are worried about the meta, don't play it. If you are worried about your information, then don't post it on publically available services or participate in social networking. It's that simple. I'll do my best to not bark about it and the Manny thing wasn't the only lesson for me. I'm just like you, I struggle to grow and improve.

I don't have to peruse my journals to know that many of the posters in here are not real goons and I'm flattered that so many pages have been devoted to my space job. It gives me hope because if bitching about a incident that happened now ages ago is the only thing you have, I know Goonkind will be in space until CCP sells out or crumbles to the ground.

And that's all you get and hopefully it fuels another 50 pages.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Sir_Substance posted:

Sir_Substance posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Just to be clear, because I think context was lost somewhat in that post, but are you implying that your day job involves IT detective work (ie references to the Boston bombings) and that you use those same skills to keep assholes from burning down our Internet tree house? Also; what do you classify as a "real goon"?

Also if true; Glenn Beck was right, we are a CIA front.

Edit: genuinely curious. Pm me if you don't mind answering and don't want to poo poo up the thread.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 12, 2014

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sir_Substance posted:

:psyboom:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

autism chariot posted:

Just to be clear, because I think context was lost somewhat in that post, but are you implying that your day job involves IT detective work (ie references to the Boston bombings) and that you use those same skills to keep assholes from burning down our Internet tree house?

Also if true; Glenn Beck was right, we are a CIA front.

Security, I think. And not bfm mall cop.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hey Widestancer, if you are interested in the whole spy thing in Eve, then this is a good (but somewhat long) video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CyrpCnksM

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Edit- Deleted comment. This is getting way to deep, dark and dangerous for me. Winning an argument on the internet is not worth it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 12, 2014

jeffraider
Jul 22, 2001
FUCK YOU.

Digital Ebola posted:

I really didn't want to engage on the topic but I can never stop myself from making horrible posts. For one, I'm not sure if that post was sincere or not, but yes, the meta functions on a completely different level. People play rough. Someday, I might be able to tell all about it, when this game is dust and we've moved on. There are battles going on that people never read or hear about. A battle of wits that I play every drat day, whether I want to or not because the meta doesn't ever shut off or take a downtime.

I won't go into too much about the Manny thing. It happened, I apologized. There is a narrative that everyone likes and there is what happened. In either narrative, I made the mistake. It was a great game of chess and I literally picked up the chess board and threw it at my opponent after I had already won. Was Manny in or out? To my knowledge, he wasn't in, but that didn't matter, because I went to Okcupid, picked out the unsecured profile that flagged on a Google search and waved it around. It took months to get him. Months. Picked up the case several times, sat it back down. Waited for data. It took coordination and it took saving every scrap of info I could find and then I had to wait for that Eureka moment, which doesn't come as easily as one would think. It was a massive amount work for not just me but many others. The decision to execute a Titan is not something we make lightly. It had to be sure and certain. It was and I won against an opponent that probably has more meta experience that most. I wanted people to know it and I'm pretty certain he understood that about me and that was my downfall to lead to such a mistake.

A wise man once told me that big dogs don't bark. I try not to these days. It sometimes sucks because people don't see the real victories very often. They also don't get to see the human side very often either. You think it's all google and ban lists? Try frantically trying to find a missing Vio after the Boston bombing. Or the random suicide watch that happens and people are desperate to find out if someone is okay. I won't even begin to talk about 2012 but let me say, I was as close to broken as one could ever be and we still managed to do good works through it all, as many senior SA mods can attest. And I still relive that night and the days that follow in my head. And the conversations before. And deal with a certain emptiness every morning while I have coffee before work.

I was asked by someone to keep Goons safe. It sounds silly because it's a video game but it's a video game where the strong survive, the weak crumble and where acting, lies, treachery and deceit are perfectly legal. Unfortunately, until that changes, there will some rear end in a top hat working that angle and someone like me there to try to catch it.

If you are worried about the meta, don't play it. If you are worried about your information, then don't post it on publically available services or participate in social networking. It's that simple. I'll do my best to not bark about it and the Manny thing wasn't the only lesson for me. I'm just like you, I struggle to grow and improve.

I don't have to peruse my journals to know that many of the posters in here are not real goons and I'm flattered that so many pages have been devoted to my space job. It gives me hope because if bitching about a incident that happened now ages ago is the only thing you have, I know Goonkind will be in space until CCP sells out or crumbles to the ground.

And that's all you get and hopefully it fuels another 50 pages.

seriously?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Comstar posted:

Only Real Goons count. The rest of us probably shouldn't be playing a game on the same planet I guess.

Don't put on public social media things which would cause you distress if they became publicly known is basically internet 101 dude.

jeffraider
Jul 22, 2001
FUCK YOU.

Sir_Substance posted:

oh my lord

I know that CFC leadership is not okay with this or what digi posted, right?

this is mental, isn't it?

jeffraider
Jul 22, 2001
FUCK YOU.

Sir_Substance posted:

Don't put on public social media things which would cause you distress if they became publicly known is basically internet 101 dude.

Do you not understand the difference between catching a spy and doxxing them? you are actually a gruesome excuse for a human being

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

jeffraider posted:

oh my lord

I know that CFC leadership is not okay with this or what digi posted, right?

this is mental, isn't it?

Sir_Substance is possibly a troll, he just popped up a page ago and started posting that. You should probably give more than a one-word response to Digi's post if you want to try and tie the two together.

edit: Sir_Substance is literally the only person in the thread taking that stance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Anias posted:

Join the gs_isk channel on jabber, there's usually a graphic with 'towers:moons' in the topic.

Found it, thanks!

Syndic Thrass posted:

Anyone interested in a 15 tower setup that I will import 2 weeks of w.e you want to run for, PM syndic_thrass@goonfleet.com if interested.

gently caress this effort, I'll do it because it makes me a shitload of money, PM me if you want to :effort: for money instead of me.

I think I'll hold off on that brand of masochism. Jesus though, what do you do that requires 15 towers :stonk:

I was thinking just a single moon to do a complex reaction on and buy the inputs from Jita or preferably S-Mart/another goon. Metamaterials seem like a decent profit for that kind of setup. I'm also looking for a Rorqual or JF pilot since god knows I won't be less than 2 jumps out from a major hub, but thanks to :ccp: I can forget about grabbing one at a decent price these days.

• Locked thread