Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vyst posted:

Hahaha i forgot about that poo poo. Erotica 1 had a bonus room as a part of his scam and in order to make even more isk he'd make people do embarassing things irl and post pictures of them. One of them was to have one victim post pictures of himself covered in mayo.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3867335#post3867335

Start with post #264

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

vyst posted:

I can't speak for the mittani obviously but given that he's met digi IRL i'm pretty sure there's a level of familiarity there. In fact i'm pretty sure counter intel has only had members mittens has met irl.

This wasn't meant to attack goon leadership I'm pretty sure they've got their poo poo together and would never like to see anything like that to happen. It was more of just thinking about the 'doxxing' thing in a different way. Sure this is a thing that happens, in fact lots of the techniques we've been labelling as 'doxxing' are legitimately used by companies out there to mine your data, advertise to you etc even if it is super creepy. The difference is that they have (supposedly) all these legal limits and restraints on what they can and can't do in obtaining this data and using it. Meanwhile, because internet spaceships are serious business, people who are involved with in GSF (and I'm sure other alliances too) have basically been doing some of the same things but these legal requirements either don't apply to them or they aren't being followed. Honestly, I don't really know :shrug:

I guess its just an interesting line of thought about the crossover between 'the real world' and our online world.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Unfunny Poster posted:

If I recall, it involved his Bonus Room scamming system.

No, that was the "write 'Erotica1 for CSM ' on your tits" thread.

e: or maybe not, but that was A cringe-inducing Thing

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hey ughhhh so real talk, my final exams are next week and afterwards I was thinking playing either EVE again or looking at Archeage.

Is it actually worth playing EVE these days, or would I have more fun at Archeage, unless it too is absolutely terrible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

vodkat posted:

This wasn't meant to attack goon leadership I'm pretty sure they've got their poo poo together and would never like to see anything like that to happen. It was more of just thinking about the 'doxxing' thing in a different way. Sure this is a thing that happens, in fact lots of the techniques we've been labelling as 'doxxing' are legitimately used by companies out there to mine your data, advertise to you etc even if it is super creepy. The difference is that they have (supposedly) all these legal limits and restraints on what they can and can't do in obtaining this data and using it. Meanwhile, because internet spaceships are serious business, people who are involved with in GSF (and I'm sure other alliances too) have basically been doing some of the same things but these legal requirements either don't apply to them or they aren't being followed. Honestly, I don't really know :shrug:

I guess its just an interesting line of thought about the crossover between 'the real world' and our online world.

I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised at the amount of actual regulation those companies have.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vodkat posted:

No I completely get what you're saying and I agree. I just wanted to provide context that the role of counter intel director doesn't get filled by being "next in line" like a lot of other groups so there's a little more gentleman's agreement that whoever is in the position the mittani vouches for personally.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vodkat posted:

This right here. I don't have anything against GSF at all and I think you'll find that the people I routinely talk to here and I get along pretty well. Also we got to laugh at some choice people and now I am reading the link Vyst just posted and I get to laugh more.

Leo Showers posted:

Hey ughhhh so real talk, my final exams are next week and afterwards I was thinking playing either EVE again or looking at Archeage.

Is it actually worth playing EVE these days, or would I have more fun at Archeage, unless it too is absolutely terrible.

Don't play Archeage unless you really want to get in on a dying game real fast. The main goon guild is on a server area that IIRC is not accepting new characters at all. It's a fun enough game but it's definitely on its way out. If you want to ruin fishing people's lives then it's fun; it's like killing miners in EVE. Just don't pay piles of cash for anything or get too invested.

E: Archeage also handles several basic things like, oh, player health client side. So you can see where that's going.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

otoh the goon archeage guild is a pedophile harbor so if that appeals to you then go hog wild

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

otoh the goon archeage guild is a pedophile harbor so if that appeals to you then go hog wild

I wasn't gonna bring this up because I don't want to eat a ban or whatever but yeah this too lol.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Oh and by the way, I don't understand how all this ~doxxout of game information-gate~ chat could go on without mentioning that time when enraged pubbie shitlords called Kugutsumen's work number to try to get him fired (didn't work, since he owns the place).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

okay cool i'll avoid it completely then, and yeah lol at those things widestancer said.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vodkat posted:

If I recall, didn't one of the Russian alliances get caught logging members info through a TS3 plugin or whatever?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

Argghh come plunder some booty on the HMS Megan's Law

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vyst posted:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

vyst posted:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

vyst posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm putting that in the OP of the AA thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

If I recall, didn't one of the Russian alliances get caught logging members info through a TS3 plugin or whatever?

Yeah they did.
At least they didn't try to cut the power to peoples' houses or dangle people who stole the alliance super out of windows again :laugh:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I forgot about the kugu firing thing. For all the talk of IRL info being used inappropriately, I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the outright hacking kugu did or the Spyware that Russian alliance tried to get all its members to install. Darkness, wasn't it?

Edit: beaten like a rented mule. loving phone posting. :argh:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

holy poo poo

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

autism chariot posted:

I forgot about the kugu firing thing. For all the talk of IRL info being used inappropriately, I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the outright hacking kugu did or the Spyware that Russian alliance tried to get all its members to install. Darkness, wasn't it?

If you want an edge, malware your forums.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This other game I play called TF2 has a competitive scene and one specific Competetive League required all participants to install a program on their computer and the program ended up containing a bitcoin mining bot. What I'm trying to say is that we should look into doing that so we can actually take advantage of all the negative RMT publicity Goonwaffe has.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

evilweasel posted:

I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised at the amount of actual regulation those companies have.

Well I'm not a lawyer etc, but from my understanding if some of this stuff is linked to real people then it would fall under the preview of the Data Protection Act here in the UK, which would at least have some small requirements of how the data is stored and who has access to it. But then again we are talking about people organising themselves, albeit rather seriously, to play a game on the internet, which does't exactly have much legal standing or precedent.

vyst posted:

No I completely get what you're saying and I agree. I just wanted to provide context that the role of counter intel director doesn't get filled by being "next in line" like a lot of other groups so there's a little more gentleman's agreement that whoever is in the position the mittani vouches for personally.

And mittens is a lawyer so I guess some of this probably has occurred to him an he's ok with it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

vodkat posted:

Well I'm not a lawyer etc, but from my understanding if some of this stuff is linked to real people then it would fall under the preview of the Data Protection Act here in the UK, which would at least have some small requirements of how the data is stored and who has access to it. But then again we are talking about people organising themselves, albeit rather seriously, to play a game on the internet, which does't exactly have much legal standing or precedent.

Oh, you're in Europe. Yeah, you guys have good data protection laws. Over here though...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vodkat posted:

people who are involved with in GSF (and I'm sure other alliances too) have basically been doing some of the same things but these legal requirements either don't apply to them or they aren't being followed.
There aren't actually any laws about internet privacy or anonymity. edit: in the US, and I'd be suprised if EU laws actually were that strong. Neither goonfleet nor SA are a medical or financial institution. So if tomorrow morning Lowtax replaced all our names with the name on the credit card used to buy the account, it would be perfectly legal.

All of this is a reaction to a culture that the internet invented, where identity means something different than IRL and people enjoy the freedom to express themselves in ways that their IRL culture might not approve of. It's a freedom we've gotten very attached to, despite the fact that it has it's own set of abuses. So doxxing has become a huge taboo in internet-land, totally out of proportion to anything similar in real life. It's reinforced by the fact that a few cases of doxxing have had bad RL things happen as a follow up, though really that's kinda like the evening news scare threat of the internet.

One time I was driving home to visit my mom, and in one of the little towns on the way I passed a temporary billboard someone had put up. It said "John Smith does not pay his debts!" in big print, full view to anyone driving down the main road. Somehow that memory flashed back in my head as I was writing about this stuff.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 12, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

evilweasel posted:

No, see, that was the second time he ran for the CSM. The first time they just edited out all references to it and banned anyone who repeatedly pointed out the posts he'd made (on the eve-o forums, not elsewhere) randomly digressing from a fitting discussion to discuss racial purity.

Some areas of CCP are really bad about overlooking racial propaganda. There was a known neo-nazi running around Syndicate with 1488 in his name, and not only did the GMs not change it, but they gave us warnings (and one guy a temp ban) for constantly petitioning it and giving him poo poo in local.

quote:

autism about IRL info

Jesus Christ, so much :gas: on both sides.

It really is intent. For example, let's say that we can identify two different characters logging on from the same IP within minutes of each other. Chances are, they're the same person -- or at least in the same household. What we can do with the IP? Not much... or we could DDOS it. It's a matter of intent.

There are tons of neat stories about counterintelligence in Eve -- everything from "same IPs / Teamspeak ID" to "our forums have a subtle watermark in the background image" to "every third character is changed to a Unicode variant, so we can tell who copy pasted this poo poo." It's easy to tell (with proper work) if the same person is running two accts, without knowing that they're Joe Bob of Bumfuck, IA.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

vyst posted:

:vince:

autism chariot posted:

Oh yeah, they had a malware'd TS plugin that was mandatory.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So with the changes CCP did, is nullsec going to have any big wars? From what I've read it sounds like everyone withdrew away from each other and it's too far to gate anywhere, and there is no need or wish to invade anyone else's space. None of the collations have broken up, so everything is still stagnate? The only roaming fleets are interceptors, but Deklien is so far away from anyone that's it's now dead quiet.

Or is it still too early to say, or we need to wait for another 2-3 expansions firsr?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comstar posted:

So with the changes CCP did, is nullsec going to have any big wars? From what I've read it sounds like everyone withdrew away from each other and it's too far to gate anywhere, and there is no need or wish to invade anyone else's space. None of the collations have broken up, so everything is still stagnate? Or is it still too early to say.

Most people seem to be content waiting until the actual Sov rework which is sometime in 2015.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vodkat posted:

the Data Protection Act here in the UK
Interestingly, that would be more about data tied to you, not your actual named identity. The law assumes identities are public information because organizations and the govt itself needs to know who you are. For example, if you submit a Data Protection Act inquiry to a company you have to give them proof of your identity!

It might be the case that if Goonfleet had records that vodkat and Joe Shmoe, Manchester were the same person, you'd have a better chance at getting the vodkat part scrubbed.

ullerrm posted:

There are tons of neat stories about counterintelligence in Eve -- everything from "same IPs / Teamspeak ID" to "our forums have a subtle watermark in the background image" to "every third character is changed to a Unicode variant, so we can tell who copy pasted this poo poo."
to Mazziliu's custom forum title which was "$USERNAME is a spy", and it was a huge in-joke all around GF and beyond, but we caught a spy because they postes screencaps for propoganda which included that and directly incriminated themselves.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
You guys are freaking out because I brought out a 5 year alt that has been inactive for five years with corp access.

lol you dumb

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
what

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

First guess would be corp application rejection.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

SpeedGem posted:

You guys are freaking out because I brought out a 5 year alt that has been inactive for five years with corp access.

lol you dumb

Look opsec is hard nobody should try.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Widestancer posted:

Like I've said, I don't really care about what digi does or doesn't do. It's an interesting discussion and it's led to some people saying some pretty funny stuff. Not sure where you're going with whatever it is you said but :shrug:

One thing to keep in mind is that, while the kind of counterintelligence stuff we see in EVE would be outrageously over the top in any other context, it evolved as a necessary defense to the lengths people will go to to infiltrate an organization in the first place (which would, again, be ludicrous in any other game). How many WoW players do you know who would pick up a second subscription with sanitized personal information and spend months or years pretending to be people's friends under a feigned identity so they could spy, sabotage, or simply rob them at an opportune time?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Voyager I posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that, while the kind of counterintelligence stuff we see in EVE would be outrageously over the top in any other context, it evolved as a necessary defense to the lengths people will go to to infiltrate an organization in the first place (which would, again, be ludicrous in any other game). How many WoW players do you know who would pick up a second subscription with sanitized personal information and spend months or years pretending to be people's friends under a feigned identity so they could spy, sabotage, or simply rob them at an opportune time?

Well, obviously World of Warcraft players don't do this, because nothing you do in WoW has any permanent effect, or means anything. Not to imply that Eve goings-on are particularly valuable, but even the smallest decimal value of worth is greater than the goose egg WoW accomplishments have.

Also, you can't pay for WoW subscriptions (legally) with gold. That part makes running a second facade account a lot easier to stomach.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the topic of doxxing, supposedly some pubbie tried to doxx a Star Citizen Goon (for seemingly similar reasons it'd happen in EVE) only to get bogus/wrong info.

Internet pixels is pretty serious business to some people.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Hey can all you super sensitive ~elite pvp~ people make up with HERO or something so you can go back to posting this crap on reddit instead of here?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

smg77 posted:

Hey can all you super sensitive ~elite pvp~ people make up with HERO or something so you can go back to posting this crap on reddit instead of here?

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Glory of Arioch posted:

Well, obviously World of Warcraft players don't do this, because nothing you do in WoW has any permanent effect, or means anything. Not to imply that Eve goings-on are particularly valuable, but even the smallest decimal value of worth is greater than the goose egg WoW accomplishments have.

Also, you can't pay for WoW subscriptions (legally) with gold. That part makes running a second facade account a lot easier to stomach.

Someone better not tell widestancer about helldump, otherwise she might think that this forum is filled with internet creeps.

fake edit: but wait, what if the doxxing is outing internet creeps?

real edit: but who watches the watchmen?

• Locked thread