Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Wanted to go for a ride but the bike's electrics were completely dead. Battery gives ~2v. After disconnecting the battery I measured the resistance between the wire loom's terminals and it's infinite with the ignition off, which suggests no parasitic drain. With another battery the bike fired right up; freak battery failure or something else? Haven't had any symptoms before this.

Also, I haven't yet tried if this battery will still hold a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My car did that. Worked fine, drove it to work and back, and then went back out to do an errand. Car wouldn't start, battery flat. It wouldn't even hold enough of a charge after jumping to act normally - rolling down a window would kill the ignition while the engine was running. That was fun to do while driving.

It was a bad battery, replaced it and no hiccups since.

poo poo happens.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah I guess it's bad luck, second Yuasa I've had fail this year though, the one I had in the Buell decided to release a cloud of yellow particles under the seat (but worked fine otherwise). Thankfully my neighbor's gsxr600's battery fit.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Don't forget to tell your neighbor.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They'll find out.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Z3n posted:

Hamas - check the clutch/kickstand kill sensors.

Exhibits the same behavior starting it with the stand down and clutch out if the bike is in neutral which would appear to rule out both those things.

I suspect the relays are solid state and have no moving parts making intermittent failure unlikely. Zeroing in on a possible bad starter button. Will investigate in detail tomorrow since there's one of those stunter herd rides going on, so being on or in the vicinity of a bike with plastic affixed to it is an activity of high risk of being targeted or profiled by pissed off cops who just got blown off by the 100 mohawk helmeted riders they just tried to pull over. Great day for maintenance!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If the clutch switch is intermittently not engaging, it can display a no start condition like you describe. It varies from bike to bike how it works, but it's easy enough to check the switch, just disconnect it and jump the terminal and if it works then that's your problem. It's an easy troubleshot and they fail with sad regularity.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Ola posted:

Thanks guys. I wonder if I can by with just a sheet of neoprene (as sold for divers etc) and some zip ties.There's no special coating or layer on it, right?

That way I can cut to exact dimensions. Also thinking about vinyl wrapping my tank and other mods, might be a project thread in this.

No special coating or layers as I can see. Looks like plain neoprene with velcro.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

Thanks guys. I wonder if I can by with just a sheet of neoprene (as sold for divers etc) and some zip ties.There's no special coating or layer on it, right?

That way I can cut to exact dimensions. Also thinking about vinyl wrapping my tank and other mods, might be a project thread in this.

You can glue neoprene with wetsuit repair kits, use some stitching to hold the joint closed while it sets up

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I need help with some bastard-rear end bolts. Tried to remove my left side rearset, won't come off at all. The heads are getting all sorts of hosed up. Should I:

1) buy a propane torch and use the 2' breaker bar
2) wait until saturday (leaving for the track that evening) and go to the local shop's walk-in hours and hope they can peel them off
3) both

I would normally go for 2, but that leaves me absolutely no leeway if it doesn't work out at the shop. I've never torched bolts before, knowing me I'd probably loving something up.

They're allen heads like the big ones on the front part of the rearset here:

e: both of them are stuck the same. I'm not turning in the wrong direction. There's no give at all, my allen wrench just started biting into the head instead.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 20, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hammer a *good* torx bit into the fucker.

Feel free to warm it over too

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you use a torch, make sure you're putting the most heat on the thing that the bolt screws into and not the bolt itself. Hammering a torx in is a good idea too if you can. Beyond that you gotta start drilling things.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've never used a torch to loosen a bolt. Is the idea that you want to make the thing the bolt screws into more malleable? Wouldn't that gently caress up the threading if you want to put the bolt back in?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Metal expands when it gets hot.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It also softens things like jbweld and loctite.

e: a couple of people suggested I use an impact driver (I'd have to buy it) instead of a breaker bar, because the latter tends to shear stuck bolts. Thoughts?

M42 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 20, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

It also softens things like jbweld and loctite.

e: a couple of people suggested I use an impact driver (I'd have to buy it) instead of a breaker bar, because the latter tends to shear stuck bolts. Thoughts?

Impacts are probably great.

I had to dremel a bigass slot into one of my exhaust bolts to get it out. Used a large flathead bit, elbow grease, and a big drill to remove it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SquadronROE posted:

I've never used a torch to loosen a bolt. Is the idea that you want to make the thing the bolt screws into more malleable? Wouldn't that gently caress up the threading if you want to put the bolt back in?

One trick that saved me a ton of hassle when trying to remove a buggered screw from a carb: I heated up the screw area and then held a bit of candle against it, and capillary action sucked the wax down into the threads and loosened it up. When I pulled it out, the wax had penetrated at least an inch down he threads. Dangdest thing I ever saw (at least as far as bolts go).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, one of the front fender bolts that came on the bike was crossthreaded to gently caress, had to use a combo of blowtorch/paraffin/EZ out. drat thing still broke in two places.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I got the bottom one out, but the top is too stripped now. Unsuccessfully tried to hammer in a size up socket, no luck. No way to cut a slot in it either. Probably just gonna take it to the shop and hope they don't charge too much for an ez-out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You know a set of ezouts at lowes is like $8 right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

You know a set of ezouts at lowes is like $8 right?

Yeah this, that's like a perfect scenario to do it yourself because the bolt is totally exposed and you can even unbolt the adaptor plate thingy for even easier access if need be.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I am prone to majorly loving up the first time I do anything on my bike, not sure if I want to risk threaded frame holes :v: but I'll give it a try.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

M42 posted:

I am prone to majorly loving up the first time I do anything on my bike, not sure if I want to risk threaded frame holes :v: but I'll give it a try.

Normally sure but you're looking at nearly the ideal scenario for trying to use a bolt extractor. Worst case you have to drill the bolt head off and then the rearset slips over the shaft of the bolt. After that you can lock vice grips on it and get it off I'm sure.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Don't stress over it. I'm almost positive I had to do the exact same thing to the exact same bolt on my sv, and I just drilled it out. And didn't notice I was out of gas for a week. Just take your time and be calm and observant and everything will be fine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Is there any reason to use specialized motorcycle chain cleaner instead of like wd40 or something? Cause I'm out of cleaner but have a lot of wd40.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
WD40 can damage the seals on an O-ringed chain.

Just use a can of cheap kerosene, there's no need for any special chain cleaner beyond that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kerosene on a rag and 10w40 in an oiler can is all you need for chain maintenance.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

or a $2 can of engine degreaser works too. *shrug*

"Do whatever"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Oh gently caress... am I too late to the party?
I might be able to help you with that, ladybro.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chain... cleaner?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh gently caress... am I too late to the party?
I might be able to help you with that, ladybro.

Not at all, any assistance is appreciated!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Linedance posted:

Chain... cleaner?

Look, I already had to have this whole "learning experience" thing about taking care of chains since I'd always had shafties, and now I have to figure out this whole "o ring" thing too? :rolleyes:

So purplestuff, not wd40. Or maybe wd40. Or lamp oil. Or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Look, I already had to have this whole "learning experience" thing about taking care of chains since I'd always had shafties, and now I have to figure out this whole "o ring" thing too? :rolleyes:

So purplestuff, not wd40. Or maybe wd40. Or lamp oil. Or something.

Lamp-oil. I've always been a proponent of kerosene and a toothbrush.
Plus you get to huff it when you're done.

Now let's talk lube...

Wax, oil, gear lube, what?

I like standard chains (non o-ring) and gear oil. They're easy to maintain, plus old bikes sometimes don't have the sprocket cover clearance for these crazy new x and o ring chains.
If you want to stay clean then wax is the way to go, but it's a PITA to clean off.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
My personal routine is Kerosene to clean with a wire brush and/or toothbrush then apply ATF with a different toothbrush to ensure it gets the o-rings coated.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My personal routine is to buy an overpriced can of über-tekno chain lubrikatieren mit PTFE and the oil of 5 snakes and hose the chain and sprockets with it when I start feeling guilty about chain maintenance.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
About to pull the trigger on a $10 set of Abco tire valve caps, since it's one of the only such products on Amazon with good reviews (3.5 stars, 749 reviews) and they'll make my biek look like Tron.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085...%2BL&ref=plSrch

It'll take them a month to get over here to Liberia, by which time I drat well better have a company-issue dirtbike, or I'll tell the boss I'll no longer cook her my famous cornmeal-fried chicken not mix her my Ti punch until she does. Still really want a Yamaha AG100 more than any other bike in this country.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My chain bikes run roller chains so WD-40 and some chain lube spray it is.

Wheelie-ing a DT175 chews up chains almost faster than they get dirty. Probably a square peg round hole situation brought on by the operator though.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I clean my chain by spraying it with degreaser, letting it sit 5 minutes, power washing the poo poo out of it then putting on dupont teflon lube.

Works every time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

My personal routine is to buy an overpriced can of über-tekno chain lubrikatieren mit PTFE and the oil of 5 snakes and hose the chain and sprockets with it when I start feeling guilty about chain maintenance.

Don't forget the important final step in that process, losing the can by next time you feel guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My 98 Honda CBR 600 didn't have enough juice to turn over this morning after sitting for a few days.

The battery is new this season, so that shouldn't be the issue. I know that I replaced the regulator on this bike before, but that was years ago, so I'm thinking it may have gone again. I tested it by putting my multimeter on the 200 ohms setting and testing these three yellow wires:

I checked A&B, B&C, A&C. On each pair, the numbers cycled through randomly, just as they do when you touch the two leads together. Does that mean my regulator is dead again, or did I not test it properly?

I finally found time to get to this. I tested my voltage over the battery while the bike was idling and it was right around 13.5v. I revved the engine to ~7k rpm and was getting around 12v. I've (mostly) followed this guide: https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

I skipped to the part where you test your stator wires. These are what I tested. These are what I'm looking for, right?

On two of the three pairs I was getting readings just about identical. I'd get .04, .04, and .00. Or 4.75, 4.8, and .9. Does that mean my stator is shot, or is there still another possible culprit?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 22, 2015