Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mortuary Drape are playing some US dates soon and I'm very jealous, however otoh we are getting Blasphemy in two months which I don't think is likely to happen in the US ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lolll

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/HotMetalTakes/status/985629669855670272

lmao

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

Mortuary Drape are playing some US dates soon and I'm very jealous, however otoh we are getting Blasphemy in two months which I don't think is likely to happen in the US ever.

Aren't blasphemy from Canada? Why wouldn't they play in the states?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

:chloe:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All these bands are doing it - attaching their names to some local distilleries. See: Motorhead

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Vintersorg posted:

All these bands are doing it - attaching their names to some local distilleries. See: Motorhead

So it's not an aftershave?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah or beer. there aint nothing wrong with a bit of merchandising as long as it suits the band i think. beer, t-shirts or booze, it's all good. i wouldn't buy that poo poo though.

ps magrudergrind is kicking my rear end right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TquwNTcYvKc

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 17, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

david crosby posted:

Aren't blasphemy from Canada? Why wouldn't they play in the states?

It's a pain in the rear end even for Canadian bands to play here, especially now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

spookygonk posted:

Looks like gin.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

spookygonk posted:

I mean it says signature crafted gin but I guess you could use it as an aftershave if you're really going for that hobo chic vibe.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like gin.

Specifically, it's "Signature Craft Gin" flavored with green tea and bergamot. Since All Gin Is Piss to begin with, artisanal Earl Grey gin fits In Flames like a glove imho

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Smirr posted:

Specifically, it's "Signature Craft Gin" flavored with green tea and bergamot. Since All Gin Is Piss to begin with, artisanal Earl Grey gin fits In Flames like a glove imho

lol

a good GT is awesome. in flames sucks

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

There should be a Gorgoroth wine just branded "............................Satan".

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
all band branding is poo poo...except for the Dying Fetus knife.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Marketing wouldn't happen if it didn't work, so blame your fellow metal fans.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's the only way for a band to make money anymore. blame digitalization and your cheap rear end for not buying records

altho i suspect artisan gin isn't really a money making machine for anyone.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 17, 2018

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Dyna Soar posted:

it's the only way for a band to make money anymore. blame digitalization and your cheap rear end for not buying records

altho i suspect artisan gin isn't really a money making machine for anyone.

Vinyl sales are the highest they've been in 25 years, so I think you're a bit wrong there m8

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

Vinyl are the highest they've been in 25 years, so I think you're a bit wrong there m8

lol

you mean vinyl sales has risen from 0% of the market to 1% of the market?

yeah

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

it would be cool if you informed yourself vs being a stereotypical retard goon itt

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if you pay a minimum but fair price for recording, mixing, mastering, artwork, pressing and shipping of a vinyl, 500 records will barely break even. if you do everything yourself or on a shoestring budget, 300 will barely break even.

in flames used to sell hundreds of thousands of records. they're probably lucky to sell 1/10 of that now.

Weaponized Cum posted:

it would be cool if you informed yourself vs being a stereotypical retard goon itt

america is not the world

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please just stop while you're only knee deep.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
besides if you break down what albums are actually selling large amounts, it's re-releases of poo poo like the beatles. not new bands and certainly not indie bands. this vinyl boom is actually a problem for smaller, vinyl only record companies because the big labels are paying to get their poo poo pressed first so indie labels have to wait for 6-12 months between sending a master to getting the records.

also 14% of physical sales is likely closer to 1% than 14% of the whole market

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 17, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe In Flames' biggest problem is that they make garbage music that appeals to neither the mainstream nor underground metal fans anymore

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, one of the most successful bands in history brought in 8 million in revenue selling vinyl in 2017?

Obscure metal bands might actually be able to afford a 24 pack of ramen off their royalties!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Dyna Soar posted:

besides if you break down what albums are actually selling large amounts, it's re-releases of poo poo like the beatles. not new bands and certainly not indie bands. this vinyl boom is actually a problem for smaller, vinyl only record companies because the big labels are paying to get their poo poo pressed first so indie labels have to wait for 6-12 months between sending a master to getting the records.

yea, of the top 10 selling vinyls last year only a single one of them was new and it was ed loving sheeran (who is buying ed sheeran on vinyl??)

everything else is old rear end albums (1 & 2 are both beatles records) or compilations (#3 was guardians 2 soundtrack)

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Dyna Soar posted:

also 14% of physical sales is likely closer to 1% than 14% of the whole market

my friends run a successful local record store chain and you are definitely very wrong

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would wager that the audiophiles who invest their money in a vinyl rig also don't mind paying a premium for the vinyl.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

OpaqueEcho posted:

my friends run a successful local record store chain and you are definitely very wrong

what part of that was wrong, exactly? based on having a friend who owns a record store lol

https://www.ft.com/content/94c5cdb0-4a26-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Dyna Soar posted:

what part of that was wrong, exactly?

Mostly the part about what sells, indie releases sell like gangbusters there and I don't recall having seen any Beatles re-releases.

The fact that digital streaming has surpassed physical music purchases is not mutually exclusive to vinyl's current resurgence.

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 17, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

OpaqueEcho posted:

Mostly the part about what sells, indie releases sell like gangbusters there and I don't recall having seen any Beatles re-releases

if you look at statistics, not whats available in your local indie record store it's poo poo like the beatles that sells large amounts. this is a fact.

OpaqueEcho posted:

The fact that digital streaming has surpassed physical music purchases is not mutually exclusive to vinyl's current resurgence.

well it's relevant since my original claim was that vinyl sales are around 1% of the market, which is more or less true according to those statistics. it's a drop in the ocean and not even worth discussing if we're talking about how money is made with music in the year 2018.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

maybe if you start a reddit thread you can find some aspies to align with you

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

maybe if you start a reddit thread you can find some aspies to align with you

ooh, i was loving right and now i'm an autist! i guess autist is the new human being, huh

Weaponized Cum posted:

straight back at ya, squirt

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

please just stop. I bet you're upset, sweating, and cranking Alestorm right now

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

please just stop. I bet you're upset, sweating, and cranking Alestorm right now

i've got crom on the stereo, a beer in hand and am ready for some online arguing. bring it on

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vinyl is a very contentious subject.

What's not contentious is how loving pumped I am for the new Alkaloid.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
live music ticket sales are at an all-time high

purchases of music itself are at an all-time low, having dropped something like 70% in the last decade. vinyl increasing by a tiny smidgeon is not going to even remotely put a dent in that

im really not sure where the argument is here, none of this is particularly controversial

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
jesus loving christ this thread sucks lately except for that Witchmaster post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

When in doubt post some loving sick riffs: https://youtu.be/cY36MSQnrOk

Anyone got some more OSDM recs? I've been on a kick recently