Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

i liked tefs COM for the web but he'd probably want to break it with dumb stuff like abusing content type or not requiring service definitions.

nah, i'd put the content type as something like vendorname/datatype+baseformat, which is ~standard~, y'know rather than just a stupid application/baseformat, which won't tell you how to parse it

i'd probably have a generic text based serialization and a specific binary one, and i'd demand a service def for parsing the binary one, but the text based one for inspection, debugging, etc wouldn't demand one.

missing out on service defs was probably the biggest mistake in terms of interop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Damiya posted:

normally I agree with Shaggar.

but not about SOAP

gently caress that poo poo

i've been stuck writing SOAP poo poo in ruby for 3 weeks and I want to kill myself.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

With REST your data is a service definition.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
haskell is a serious headfuck to learn, this is really cool and i want to use it everywhere

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
haskell is a serious headfuck to learn, who the gently caress would use this for anything ever

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Arcsech posted:

haskell is a serious headfuck to learn, this is really cool and i want to use it everywhere

Arcsech posted:

haskell is a serious headfuck to learn, who the gently caress would use this for anything ever

consider both of these points lazily argued

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I could swear he already posted that years ago. he also gets at least two things wrong: msvcrt.dll is not strictly off-limits, it's the C runtime library for user-mode device drivers, and C++ things like ostream are in msvcp.dll

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maggot Monster posted:

i've been stuck writing SOAP poo poo in ruby for 3 weeks and I want to kill myself.

yea ruby is garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

nah, i'd put the content type as something like vendorname/datatype+baseformat, which is ~standard~, y'know rather than just a stupid application/baseformat, which won't tell you how to parse it

i'd probably have a generic text based serialization and a specific binary one, and i'd demand a service def for parsing the binary one, but the text based one for inspection, debugging, etc wouldn't demand one.

missing out on service defs was probably the biggest mistake in terms of interop

yea the way soap works is your serialization is basically xml with a set of defined primitive types and then you can build complex types from the primitives. obv you could reuse that in your web com, but idk what you'd do for json. json doesn't have schema and you cant specify type information for a field inside the message so you cant really tell the difference between a string and a datetime. plus there is no official datetime format for json. You could specify which fields are datetime in the service definition and then have an official datetime string format (use the same one as in xml), but if the message is received out of context by someone unfamiliar with the service definition they wont know what to do w/ it.

obviously the solution there is no one should be sending or receiving the message w/out understanding the service, but we're talking about something to be used by web "developers" here. they hate well defined data.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yea ruby is garbage

i signed up to a SICP study thing today because we're moving towards clojure at work and it's gotta be less bad than ruby

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Maggot Monster posted:

i signed up to a SICP study thing today because we're moving towards clojure at work and it's gotta be less bad than ruby

lol tell us more about your poo poo tier company

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
he's gonna read sicp for his job though how awesome is that

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

FamDav posted:

lol tell us more about your poo poo tier company

i write ruby and have bad opinions.. i'm surprised sulk isn't my coworker

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Maggot Monster posted:

do u work for puppetlabs

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Maggot Monster posted:

i'm using scala for my new job, so

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

do u work for puppetlabs

i do

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

:o

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
actually im genuinely interested in hearing about your experience/coworkers experiences all mass migrating to a language i assume most of you have little experience in.

like what are they doing to help you guys out or is it just "all new projects is clojure here are the two people who have > 3 months experience they should probably read your code sometime"

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FamDav posted:

actually im genuinely interested in hearing about your experience/coworkers experiences all mass migrating to a language i assume most of you have little experience in.

like what are they doing to help you guys out or is it just "all new projects is clojure here are the two people who have > 3 months experience they should probably read your code sometime"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
its true tho. i read through the press release and i still have a lot of questions about why they picked clojure beyond

1. jvm is extremely portable + java library interop
2. clojure has immutable data structures/concurrency primitives that eliminate classes of errors
3. its neat ^^,~~,? kawaii no desu desu

because they do little to address developer training and productivity, talent pool (lol portland), maintenance, a comparison between other languages/platforms, etc etc

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm also interested in how migrating entire teams to new languages go. It's obvious everyone on board will fall into major pitfalls without an experienced person guiding the general implementation and program structure, and the reaction to these events is always interesting.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

double sulk posted:

i'm using scala for my new job, so

scala owns.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
$ zip app.zip __main__.py
adding: __main__.py (deflated 76%)

$ echo '#!/usr/local/bin/python3' > app

$ cat app.zip >> app
$ chmod +x app

$ ./app
usage: ./app <filter>

:q:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that's dropbox's bundle system. they had a video about it somewhere but i cant find it now

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Damiya posted:

scala owns.

yeah it'll be nice to get away from ruby for a while

for scala specifically, what is everyone's personal pref of scala ide/intellij/netbeans

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's dropbox's bundle system. they had a video about it somewhere but i cant find it now

do you mean twitter's? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpnGhRwsu0

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ewwww zip

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

yeah that's it thanks

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

double sulk posted:

yeah it'll be nice to get away from ruby for a while

for scala specifically, what is everyone's personal pref of scala ide/intellij/netbeans

intellij.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

MononcQc posted:

I'm also interested in how migrating entire teams to new languages go. It's obvious everyone on board will fall into major pitfalls without an experienced person guiding the general implementation and program structure, and the reaction to these events is always interesting.

it's been fairly organic, from what I've seen. people who get interested in clojure start talking to other clojure people and then change teams to work more closely with them and the cycle continues, converting one person at a time. i'm in a team that has zero reason to be touching clojure at this point, or even doing real programming, but all the clojure guys seem to be working on interesting stuff and their excitement is infectious

there hasn't been any top down "time to switch shitlords" but I could imagine that would go terribly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

actually its not that bad since the overlap between c# and java is like 90%. the biggest thing that changes is tools and frameworks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

actually devs stay the same and they're always the biggest tools anywhere :smugmrgw:

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

tef posted:

$ zip app.zip __main__.py
adding: __main__.py (deflated 76%)

$ echo '#!/usr/local/bin/python3' > app

$ cat app.zip >> app
$ chmod +x app

$ ./app
usage: ./app <filter>

:q:

All of Brandon Rhodes' talks (and trivia questions) were awesome.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Shaggar posted:

actually its not that bad since the overlap between c# and java is like 90%. the biggest thing that changes is tools and frameworks

It's a shame people forget this so much.

I kind of want to do Java again to actually bother using *nix toolchains and poo poo.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
but for real, lol if you can't pick up a new language in like a day

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

coding_horrors.txt

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

please stop writing java in every language

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

my stepdads beer posted:

surely nobody could pick up a language in like a day because i can't

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
code:
iterateNM :: Monad m => Int -> (a -> m a) -> a -> m [a]
iterateNM 0 _ x = return [x]
iterateNM n f x = (x:) <$> (iterateNM (n-1) f =<< f x)
                = do
    x' <- f x
    xs <- iterateNM (n-1) f x'
    return (x':xs)
the second definition is way clearer and i should use that one right? as far as i can tell they're equivalent

i always struggle with things like this, is it just me going out of my way to do things the "clever" :airquote: way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's easy to pick up a language in a few days if you're familiar with the paradigm and it replicates something you know.

If you're going into new paradigms and you think you've picked everything up in a few days, you're likely wrong about the progress you've been doing.