Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

:yotj:

Changing industries entirely to work at a startup that does intrusion prevention for Industrial Control Systems and SCADA networks. Basically the same pay, but it also comes with stock options, better benefits, and no more dealing with the government (at least until they inevitably start doing public sector sales). And I'll be focused on selling/integrating two products instead of 15.

Congrats on the new job. Always like reading your posts, you basically have the career I'd kill for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Just finished an Exchange 2010 -> Exchange 365 migration AMA

I did an Exchange 2010 -> Google Apps migration about a year and half ago and everything went surprisingly smoothly, but we had a whole migration team from the VAR that knew what they were doing to help us.

Did you use any third party applications? I know the one we had supported O365 as well. For some reason I feel like it's probably more of a nightmare moving from a Microsoft product to a Microsoft product than it was to go from Microsoft to Google.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

I did this recently and it was really.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you wish you'd upgraded to Exchange 2013+ first?

I have no idea what the benefits would've been, so nah probably not.

The Fool posted:

Did you completely decommission all of your on prem exchange servers? Or are you leaving one up for management purposes?

we are finishing up some last exports of former employees (turns out some of the employees from before my time were never exported) as a precaution, then we'll be taking them all offline. Had to disable MAPI for all but those mailboxes since the CAS server handles all exports.

siggy2021 posted:

I did an Exchange 2010 -> Google Apps migration about a year and half ago and everything went surprisingly smoothly, but we had a whole migration team from the VAR that knew what they were doing to help us.

Did you use any third party applications? I know the one we had supported O365 as well. For some reason I feel like it's probably more of a nightmare moving from a Microsoft product to a Microsoft product than it was to go from Microsoft to Google.

We used a third party application (CodeTwo Migration) for the bulk migration. It doesn't currently import archives though so I did that manually (and because we had no limits in place for a long time, I got the joy of exporting and uploading archives that were 60-75+ gigs of poo poo). Overall the process wasn't bad, went pretty smoothly, and Microsoft's walkthroughs are pretty useful. That said, poo poo can get weird and complicated if your domain is .net/.local etc and your email addresses are .com when you do Azure Active Directory syncs.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Ours didn't do archives either. The solution was giving users instructions on moving poo poo from their archives to their live mailbox, and telling them to do that with anything they want on gmail before x date or get hosed.

Queue users screaming that they are missing their archives on Google.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

Ours didn't do archives either. The solution was giving users instructions on moving poo poo from their archives to their live mailbox, and telling them to do that with anything they want on gmail before x date or get hosed.

Queue users screaming that they are missing their archives on Google.

Well, whose dumb idea was this?

Trusting your users to do something critical is like mistake 1 in the "Top 10 Stupid IT Mistakes to Avoid" book.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I mean the other option was to track down 600 people and do it for them, which 300 of them would never have time for, and the project would never move forward.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, whose dumb idea was this?

Trusting your users to do something critical is like mistake 1 in the "Top 10 Stupid IT Mistakes to Avoid" book.

Seems like a very sensible idea to me. gently caress archived email.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Proteus Jones posted:

I wouldn't think it was a bad thing. If I saw you actively taking notes during the interview (paper or iPad) that would definitely be a positive.

At my last interview I had some Python code on my iPad, and when it came up I pulled out the pad and did the side-by-die presentation thing. It seemed well received.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mllaneza posted:

side-by-die

Hardcore interview.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

psydude posted:

The few that I've worked on so far in my current/previous gig have been fairly modern, thankfully. The engineering manager for this new company said it's not uncommon to run into token ring and FDDI still running in certain verticals, though, especially petrochemical.

Token ring and FDDI both provide very predictable latency due to their token passing designs. I'd imagine in many "real time" applications that is a pretty big deal and much more important than overall performance.

FDDI's redundant ring capability also has pretty obvious appeal.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Sickening posted:

Seems like a very sensible idea to me. gently caress archived email.

We still have a Lotus Notes server running so that people can access their mail from before we moved to Exchange around 2009. Everything is archived, nothing gets deleted.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you think you need email from before 2009, you're either mistaken or you have a terrible internal knowledge base.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you think you need email from before 2009, you're either mistaken or you have a terrible internal knowledge base.

Or you're bound by regulatory, audit, or contractual requirements.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can love or hate email archiving all you want, but if you had archiving and were getting rid of it and your approach was to rely on the users to grab what they needed, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the rear end. They aren't going to go back through 5 years of emails that they had easy access to yesterday but are going to lose tomorrow to sort out the important stuff.

You can only fire an employee once. If they hosed up and it's a bigger issue than just this one employee (like breach of contract, or whatever), then you can bet your rear end they are coming for IT next.

Yes, emails related to a project or topic should be moved into project or topic-related storage, but crappy employees exist and mistakes get made. Email archiving is pretty much a solved issue at this point, so it makes sense to keep it around as last resort backstop. By all means, have a policy on how long you keep stuff for and don't deviate from what the stake-holders decided was appropriate, but to just pull the rug out from under users one day is asking for pain.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Recently went EX2010 --> Google, in academia. There were emails from 1997 that needed to be migrated.

E: actually, that's a bit harsh. They were migrated, just because we migrated anything and everything. Free unlimited storage, so why not?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 8, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our CFO is asking IT to setup a rule in Exchange that all email gets deleted after 1 year. No email older than a year old is to be kept or saved.

That'll be fun telling the users that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Our CFO is asking IT to setup a rule in Exchange that all email gets deleted after 1 year. No email older than a year old is to be kept or saved.

Good. People save way too much poo poo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kashuno posted:

If it gets approved I'll be going through this. Is there a smilie for crossing your fingers?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We've been on 365 for a day and I like it more than 2010. Syncing things to on-site AD means you better get used to using AD Attribute Editor to change things though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

We've been on 365 for a day and I like it more than 2010. Syncing things to on-site AD means you better get used to using AD Attribute Editor to change things though

That's why you keep an on prem exchange 2013 server with no mailboxes on it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If this project even gets approved I can't imagine I'll be around long enough to manage it. Let the chips fall where they may!

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

The response to this seems to be "lawyers". This is my first gig in legal IT, and I'm only a few months in, so I don't have a sense yet for what's normal and what's completely insane. I guess I can see needing access to old correspondence for cases that are still ongoing, but isn't that what Filesite should be for?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

The response to this seems to be "lawyers". This is my first gig in legal IT, and I'm only a few months in, so I don't have a sense yet for what's normal and what's completely insane. I guess I can see needing access to old correspondence for cases that are still ongoing, but isn't that what Filesite should be for?

Get out. Get out while you still can.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
In the long run it turned out most of those people didn't really need the archived emails. People are God drat hoarders and I don't understand it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreenNight posted:

Our plausible deniability policy at Time Warner was 30 days

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We already got users with thousands and thousands of msg files saved to their network drive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Started my new job today, old job had their new nepotism hired at a title exponentially higher than his skill level delete the salt config repo today in github. :toot:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

H110Hawk posted:

Started my new job today, old job had their new nepotism hired at a title exponentially higher than his skill level delete the salt config repo today in github. :toot:

How satisfying was rejecting THAT phone call?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

2007 for us. We have a 10 year traceability requirement for all customer communication. Technically it only applies to investment advice, but it's easier to just archive everything.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GDPR is gonna clean up so many mailboxes.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Good. People save way too much poo poo

In some cases though it does have merit...

I've not deleted any work related email since approx 2008-9 when we migrated over to Google apps. The only exception to this is anything with a large attachment; I delete those, or save them elsewhere.

And believe it or not, when dealing with typical office politics, it has saved my rear end on more than a few occasions.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Collateral Damage posted:

2007 for us. We have a 10 year traceability requirement for all customer communication. Technically it only applies to investment advice, but it's easier to just archive everything.

Yeah we have a 7 year financial hold requirement for all documentation, but our Finance team prints out everything anyway and archives it via Iron Mountain.

Has anybody felt overqualified when interviewing for a position, or is it just me? It could also be me looking at a job with actual reasonable expectations instead of my current one where I play any role between helpdesk and sysadmin/DBA daily.

Counting out the days until Friday. They're apparently going to make a decision by then. I'm drafting my thank you e-mail this morning and I'll send it out by lunch. Got a really good feeling that :toot: will happen.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our pre-sales guy just called a hybrid cloud design "partly cloudy"

I like that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How :smug: was he when he said that?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I'm going to be doing a list of recommendations for AD best practices in some time, for a big company. I've checked out the main resources that are the results of "Active Directory Best Practices" on Google, but you guys generally know obscure and awesome poo poo. Do you guys know of any guides/books that I can use? I want to establish a plan, separated by sections (AD Topology, Least Privilege for main applications and AD, Deprecated objects, Security Enhancements, LAPS, for example), but I kind of wanted a better structure for this. Has anyone done this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/plan/security-best-practices/best-practices-for-securing-active-directory

You can use that in combination with https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/end-user-device-security

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

Our pre-sales guy just called a hybrid cloud design "partly cloudy"

I like that.
I love it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vargatron posted:

How :smug: was he when he said that?

Let's be fair, he's earned the right to be for that one :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I'll be keeping an Exchange server on-prem for service accounts so I guess I can upgrade that from 2010 to something modern. Even if we double in size we'll still be pretty small so I'm not concerned about user management.