Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

DoubleNegative posted:

Normal mode raids in this are more or less "Can you dodge obvious AOE circles?" and occasionally "Can you turn away from the huge red eye?" They're full of markers you've seen by virtue of just doing story dungeons. You can also watch guides on youtube to get you up to speed on the raid mechanics as well.

The closest thing any raid has to attunement is opening up Labyrinth of the Ancients, which just requires you to do four six semi-rare FATEs for guaranteed drops. Otherwise it's just accepting quests and talking to an NPC to open the raids up.

That's great. My gripe with WoW is that the mechanics are plain unintuitive and unforgiving even on easier difficulty levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

That's great. My gripe with WoW is that the mechanics are plain unintuitive and unforgiving even on easier difficulty levels.

That's one thing FFXIV does really well. The design of mechanic visual effects is consistent; if you encountered a similar mechanic before, you know how to handle it. The challenge of new fights is getting different combinations of familiar mechanics, combined with some boss specific unique stuff.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Unless it's those chains that you sometimes need to split and sometimes need to stack.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

And that paintbrush button that you sometimes don't have to click and sometimes... do? Stop yelling at me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Unless it's those chains that you sometimes need to split and sometimes need to stack.

To be fair, I think the only time where you stack is ifrit ex? Not many newbies are going to see that these days synced, and unsynced it doesn't matter.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Truga posted:

To be fair, I think the only time where you stack is ifrit ex? Not many newbies are going to see that these days synced, and unsynced it doesn't matter.

No idea, mechanics are for healers and ranged dpses. I just keep clicking the enemy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Truga posted:

It is. That’s the only time flaming chains have to stay close. In every other chain connection it’s run apart to break them.

If they had the gumption to do so, changing them to red tethers would fix the problem, but no one actually does ifrit ex anymore outside of just wrecking it unsynced, and the only problem there is pushing him too fast.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Stop running away from me during Ululation you GODDAMN PUBBIE

On the flip side seeing newbies get the thunder marker from five-headed dragon and then running to the edge to die never fails to get a laugh out of me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Stop running away from me during Ululation you GODDAMN PUBBIE

On the flip side seeing newbies get the thunder marker from five-headed dragon and then running to the edge to die never fails to get a laugh out of me.

In fairness to them, that is also an unusual case since most of the time that mark means "get away from the party". Like Ifrit chains, it could be changed to meet the current standard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

This guy knew exactly what he was doing btw. He ran and pulled as soon as the cutscene ended and threw himself off a cliff so he didn't have to play and couldn't be kicked. We did like a third of the fight before everyone got convinced to just wipe so we didn't have to carry him, and as soon as we did he bailed. Good poo poo. A+.

sounds like some poo poo wow goons love to pull in LFR

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

In fairness to them, that is also an unusual case since most of the time that mark means "get away from the party". Like Ifrit chains, it could be changed to meet the current standard.
Yeah, Square didn't start standardizing the marker types until Heavensward, so the ARR content has some unexpected outliers for newbies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thundarr posted:

What ends up happening is that I get mad every time Daddy comes first because it means my rotation won't line up as cleanly at several points as it does with Bilbo first.

He turns right when I'm supposed to Trick Attack and I know "TRUE NORTH, KWORRA" as my group reminds me but there's really not a ton of breathing room for an extra button in that opener. It's not a killer, but it feels bad. Ban all bosses from slightly turning to the left/right, Square. Do it for all Narutos across Eorzea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think at this point there may be too many Daddies in FFXIV.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I know there's a mount/minion for dragon dad but is he a part of any furniture/paintings?

I'm slowly stockpiling for when I can afford a house thanks to my retainers but so far all I've seen has been dreadwyrm stuff, and I want to pay my respects...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Concurred posted:

I know there's a mount/minion for dragon dad but is he a part of any furniture/paintings?

I'm slowly stockpiling for when I can afford a house thanks to my retainers but so far all I've seen has been dreadwyrm stuff, and I want to pay my respects...

Technically yes?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Sick. I guess Keeper of the Lake falls into that same category

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Doom also gets cleared a few different ways, mostly over the course of ARR, but none of this is in particularly difficult content. I think the biggest effect is new players dying a bit in Qarn.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Archyduke posted:

Doom also gets cleared a few different ways, mostly over the course of ARR, but none of this is in particularly difficult content. I think the biggest effect is new players dying a bit in Qarn.

Meanwhile, I've had World of Darkness runs where the alliance wipes three times to Angry Mainyu and people start leaving. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've had people wipe on the bomb phase of Labyrinth of the Ancients. :negative:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't even know how you wipe on that. Like I don't even know what the mechanic is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kill the bombs that try to go to the middle bomb and kill the Vassagos while keeping them separate.

That's it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rosalind posted:

I don't even know how you wipe on that. Like I don't even know what the mechanic is.

"Kill adds" isn't a mechanic, but, pubbie finder.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ive had that happen. Some people just dont kill the bombs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Truga posted:

you stack for gilgamesh 2 too

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

you stack for gilgamesh 2 too

There’s a stack mechanic in Sohm Al, too, and I have no idea why they haven’t changed the marker yet. Most people just ignore it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I have not had a single run of fractal hard where the white/black Sophia mechanic doesn’t cause the person with the opposite color to run for their loving life away from me. Like I get it, Sophia is optional content and you might not know what to do but I am desperately trying to track you down, shadowing your every move, please believe me!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:psyduck:

The usual failure points for LotA to me seem to be 1) people not standing on the loving pads during the atomos trash, and 2) people not paying attention to ancient flare and killing everyone rather than just themselves. Even those seem to have gone down dramatically once the raid finder got added and people could queue for it quicker.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I have not had a single run of fractal hard where the white/black Sophia mechanic doesn’t cause the person with the opposite color to run for their loving life away from me. Like I get it, Sophia is optional content and you might not know what to do but I am desperately trying to track you down, shadowing your every move, please believe me!

Accurate for Sophia EX, too.

Asimo posted:

The usual failure points for LotA to me seem to be 1) people not standing on the loving pads during the atomos trash, and 2) people not paying attention to ancient flare and killing everyone rather than just themselves. Even those seem to have gone down dramatically once the raid finder got added and people could queue for it quicker.

I've had these happen almost every time. Sure is fun to have your Trick Attack fail to connect because someone gets off the pad early. :shepicide:

KoB
May 1, 2009
I run it basically every day and still every single time I have to tell people to get on the drat pad.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Asimo posted:

People will usually get on pads, eventually, if you yell enough in alliance chat. Behemoth, on the other hand...

Gelmorra Public Radio would like to remind its listeners: never drop your comets inside the Behemoth King's targeting circle. Your uptime is not worth the deaths of half the raid. also the elementals must be destroyed

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

it always seems to do sophia last and legitimately i have never seen the boss actually get to use any moves from her lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RME posted:

it always seems to do sophia last and legitimately i have never seen the boss actually get to use any moves from her lol

My favorite is when he's copying Sephiroth and everybody 1) drops drops their pools in awful spots and 2) scatters to the winds, making it basically impossible to stack in at the end because of the giant death fields that now separate everybody.

vvv a lot of the time I see IG tanked but during the meteor cast the tank panics and runs to a rock, which gets everybody cleaved when the giant follows him.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Behemoth is the big failure point for LOTA in my experience. The Iron Giants seem to confound every group. They go untanked and slap away all the meteors and cut through the whole alliance.

You don't even really need to kill them as long as they aren't allowed to just roam free.

Also tanking in the Bone Zone causes wipes but that's always funny.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I said "welcome to the bone zone" after the tank decided to tank the dragon on the middle platform and several people got mad at me (as a BLM)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

dragging bone dragon to the edge is just trolling, in the year 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Use the one tank's 45 second start timer to discuss whether you should or should not.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You can bring the bone zone anywhere if you don't dps the skeletons :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Its still faster to tank it in the middle because then the skellys don't have to run to blow up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RME posted:

IIRC, it's random order. Da'at orbs from Sephirot + a stack, Zurvan's Infinity seals, and Sophia's Sin/Punishment stacks.

RME posted:

dragging bone dragon to the edge is just trolling, in the year 2018

I had a party do this today. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ma'at orbs from Sephiroth

someone's got Jeuno on the brain

or maybe it's autocorrect on da'at ending up at the egyptian goddess ma'at but I know which I prefer