Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

why would anyone voluntarily comply with something like that, ever?

because you can be held in contempt of congress if you don't show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it's not really voluntary

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

because if you don't comply the congressional committee will get a subpoena? then they'll re twice as angry at you for wasting their time and you'll have to turn over the same stuff anyways

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

hmm something's missing.... can't put my finger on it

*photoshops eye into middle of cornfield*

yes. perfect.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Necc0 posted:

hmm something's missing.... can't put my finger on it

*photoshops eye into middle of cornfield*

yes. perfect.

no pyramid :(

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tayter Swift posted:

that dude who's disrupting the pill industry by charging $750 a pop got a nice invitation to come to the senate

check out that schedule of questions for him, it's great

pwned

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he's gonna act like a belligerent poo poo too and get congress to finally do something about drug pricing

amazing. amazing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Smythe posted:

here's a hint chieftan thickskull: taco bell isn't mexican food or in any way related to authentic tacos. taco bell is taco bell. taco bell is chalupas supreme with fiesta sauce. the gently caress is that? hell if i know. taco bell comes from a lab and a chemist with a phd. if i want an authentic taco, i can literally get it from the solomente espanol guy who sets up camp literally across the street from my lovely apartment in the barrio. where i live. taco bell is about a heavy bag full of epic taco bell.

what you posted was the same worthless bitch garbage that every aspirational moron in this forum posts or has posted. ive read the very same post from sagebrush, got dat wmd, and countless nameless rejects who responded to tori every time he agitated this subject. mindlessly repeating the whole foods mantra and posting Live Correctly over and over won't make you healthier or cooler.

Posting "[fast food] makes me sick" is another version of "i don't drink tap water" and they're both equally retarded, built by the same marketers and parroted by the same basic bitches.

amen

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

he's gonna act like a belligerent poo poo too

what makes you think that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

new jersey and vermont have forced transfers of local property tax from rich districts to poor districts to generate a roughly level playing field, and it works really well. on top of that they both have state programs providing additional funding for things like getting prekindergarten and kindergarten in the poorer districts, and supplementing teacher salaries if you're willing to work in a poor district.

unsurprisingly, vermont has the 4th best public school performance in the nation, and new jersey has second best, depsite both having signifcant pockets of poor areas that would, due to the way education funding works in a typical state, drag down the average performance. (maryland is #3 and massachusetts is #1)

Texas has that too, they're called Robin Hood laws here

the wealth transfer parts anyway

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Real estate agent in SF's reaction to this.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Can't wait to watch them all bloobloobloo when the economy takes a dump.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

"no one saw this coming!! :qq: just no one!!" says a now shirtless agent

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Prices are going up, buy now while you still can!

Prices are going down, buy now before they come back!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

because if you don't comply the congressional committee will get a subpoena? then they'll re twice as angry at you for wasting their time and you'll have to turn over the same stuff anyways

so like, why don't they just do this to begin with because it's lunacy to expect someone to open their books otherwise.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

name and shame

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so like, why don't they just do this to begin with because it's lunacy to expect someone to open their books otherwise.

it's implicit and they get to sound official and polite trust me it's the hilight of their day

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

"no one saw this coming!! :qq: just no one!!" says a now shirtless agent

brb, investing in cartoonish wooden barrel suspenders

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

activision spent more money for candy crush than disney did for star wars.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

computer parts posted:

someone post the picture of corn before and after domestication

was this pic drawn by an olmec like 10,000 years ago or what

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

but it was probably bought with foreign earnings they couldnt repatriate without taxation and king does like 500MM rev a quarter

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

was this pic drawn by an olmec like 10,000 years ago or what

when a thing is domesticated the wild version doesn't necessarily cease to exist

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

but it was probably bought with foreign earnings they couldnt repatriate without taxation and king does like 500MM rev a quarter

that makes the decision at best 'incredibly risky' rather than 'completely insane'.

it's a huge loving gamble to assume that either the revenue holds at that for long enough or that the company can replicate the success with new games.

it's a fast-burn corporate strategy driven by the needs of the investor class rather than the needs of the company.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shadowhand00 posted:

Progressive JPEG posted:

yes plz

if its weekday, id only get there around 7-8 since im currently commuting to new job's sf office until the sobay office opens in dec

gonna be across the street from hp

also i think barneys around berk/oak are good but i havent been to one in three years

i can make 7 on a weeknight np

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

there is currently someone in d&d saying buying minecraft was a bad deal for microsoft because it only made at least $400 million in its first 9 months after purchase lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

isn't brewdog in scotland aka the texas of the UK re: gays and the roadhauling thereof

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

does it alsos upport breast cancer

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

isn't brewdog in scotland aka the texas of the UK re: gays and the roadhauling thereof

northern ireland is the bad place for gays in the uk. still doesnt have gay marriage despite real ireland and the rest of the uk having it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

finally we've defeated gender

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

finally we've defeated gender

i defeated my gender in fisticuffs this morning when i had the whole place to myself

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

fermun posted:

a lot of states are starting to test out online charter schools because charter school companies are loving cheap as hell and who cares about funding education

but it turns out online charter schools are garbage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-entire-year/

compared to a 180 day school year in public school, students of online charter schools on average find themselves 72 days behind at the end of the year in reading and 180 days behind in math. i guess at least they didn't lose anything?

only thing i ever found it useful for was to sign up for ap courses my high school didn't have, cheat on every test to bump my gpa, then skate through the ap exam with a 4 or 5

but yeah, lol at using online courses as a primary education model for children

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

when a thing is domesticated the wild version doesn't necessarily cease to exist

right but what's around today wouldnt be the common ancestor. it'd have changed by sharing genus with other poo poo and proto-corn. but i dont gmo so idk

duTrieux. posted:

that makes the decision at best 'incredibly risky' rather than 'completely insane'.

it's a huge loving gamble to assume that either the revenue holds at that for long enough or that the company can replicate the success with new games.

it's a fast-burn corporate strategy driven by the needs of the investor class rather than the needs of the company.

it's not really that risky. that 6B would be 4B brought back to the US, so foreign money goes into foreign companies. worst case scenario, king starts faltering, so activision cuts capex or whatever, and if things don't improve, activision sells king everything and dumps more cash on their other successful foreign holdings

activision's not circling the drain, they're up quarter on quarter for years. they're using their strong position to diversify more into casual, and king is a strong company with a proven record of success. if activision sits complacent, their give the edge to their competitors

candy crush is only 40% of king's revenue. the company doesnt look like a one trick pony. and at any time activision can consolidate king's 10 or so offices or cut capex or whatever to increase profit margins. bringing king under activision means king will work with other activision studios in the future, and activision will push king's games through marketing channels, since it'll be in activision's best interest for king to succeed as a proprietary studio

so a successful US gaming publisher's spending "4B" for a successful foreign company doing 2B rev yearly, holding ~1B cash, and top-10 appstore IP

king's irish for taxes but their nexus is sweden with some offices in other EU nations. both sweden and the EU are sagging right now so it's a good time to buy swedish and euro companies. activision could day-one consolidate king's secondary offices, move willing employees to activision's current EU offices, and more or less instantly reduce yearly expenses tens of millions of dollars

lucasfilm and king are in different bubbles, related only by consumer discretionary. you really can't compare the purchases

dont get me wrong, lucasfilm was a good purchase. they were a film skunkworks and held a lot of patents, some consumer brands with high nostalgia value, and poo poo like THX and ILM. i'd say lucasfilm was a bit of a cheap purchase, but i don't know how much equity disney already had before buying them out. i know parts of lucasfilm were already owned by other people, so disney wasn't buying 100% of everything, just 100% of what lucasfilm hadn't already sold to others

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

ralph wiggum is one of the best bloodhound gang songs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nice 3 week old probation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

nice 3 week old probation

probations/bans must be attached to the post, click through to the reason its good

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Triglav posted:

right but what's around today wouldnt be the common ancestor. it'd have changed by sharing genus with other poo poo and proto-corn. but i dont gmo so idk

it's not really that risky. that 6B would be 4B brought back to the US, so foreign money goes into foreign companies. worst case scenario, king starts faltering, so activision cuts capex or whatever, and if things don't improve, activision sells king everything and dumps more cash on their other successful foreign holdings

activision's not circling the drain, they're up quarter on quarter for years. they're using their strong position to diversify more into casual, and king is a strong company with a proven record of success. if activision sits complacent, their give the edge to their competitors

candy crush is only 40% of king's revenue. the company doesnt look like a one trick pony. and at any time activision can consolidate king's 10 or so offices or cut capex or whatever to increase profit margins. bringing king under activision means king will work with other activision studios in the future, and activision will push king's games through marketing channels, since it'll be in activision's best interest for king to succeed as a proprietary studio

so a successful US gaming publisher's spending "4B" for a successful foreign company doing 2B rev yearly, holding ~1B cash, and top-10 appstore IP

king's irish for taxes but their nexus is sweden with some offices in other EU nations. both sweden and the EU are sagging right now so it's a good time to buy swedish and euro companies. activision could day-one consolidate king's secondary offices, move willing employees to activision's current EU offices, and more or less instantly reduce yearly expenses tens of millions of dollars

lucasfilm and king are in different bubbles, related only by consumer discretionary. you really can't compare the purchases

dont get me wrong, lucasfilm was a good purchase. they were a film skunkworks and held a lot of patents, some consumer brands with high nostalgia value, and poo poo like THX and ILM. i'd say lucasfilm was a bit of a cheap purchase, but i don't know how much equity disney already had before buying them out. i know parts of lucasfilm were already owned by other people, so disney wasn't buying 100% of everything, just 100% of what lucasfilm hadn't already sold to others

didn't read

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

going into the toll booth on the skyway the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 and there are always cops there

I get passed by people blowing through doing 70 500 feet from the toll booth and then slamming on their brakes because the transponder lane's speed limit is 25 all the time

I got flipped off by someone in a giant truck because I wouldn't go 80 in pea soup fog on 275 through St Pete

hey i can see that road out the window from where i'm sitting right now with st. pete in the distance

idk why i find that novel, but it's the first time i've lived someplace that internet people have been to :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so they're basically implying that other beers do have a binary gender system :psyduck:

commodification of the trans community is somehow worse than gendered products

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dr. Bronner's Magic Brew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Necc0 posted:

he's gonna act like a belligerent poo poo too and get congress to finally do something about drug pricing

amazing. amazing.

he's the hero we need

• Locked thread