Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

White History month would sound like it'd be incredibly boring.

WET=NBC Sports. They show sailing, IndyCar, Formula 1, and NHL hockey. NASCAR is coming in 2015 too. (though to be fair F1 and Indy have decent followings from Hispanics, and have Hispanic drivers).

Real Talk. I wish BET wasn't such garbage. I'd love a station that would show actual legitimately good Hip-Hop videos (IE Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, etc) and RN'B (Earth, Wind and Fire, Rick James) over what's currently shown on the channel. It'd be a pretty awesome channel if that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Basically: white people invented everything, found an empty continent where they could live in FREEDOM:911:, black people are still angry about something that happened a long time ago that no one really remembers, and finally will the white race be overwhelmed by immigrants from lesser parts of the globe? :supaburn:

E: you should change the White History Month poster to a slavedriver or that iconic lynch mob party picture from the 50's and repost it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheGrizzle posted:

Except all of those exist.

UCCF: most independent scholarship funds
Miss White America: Miss America pageant, especially ironic given how many people like the author freaked out when an Indian-American won this year.
NAAWP: the US federal government and numerous think-tanks
CWC: Congressional Republican Caucus
WET: network television and most cable, doubly for anything Turner-owned or CMT
White History Month: March - January

Except if you point these out to people, they basically just say "NU UH" because they don't understand the concept of white privilege.

quote:

This is stupid as poo poo though, FYI. Yeah, there doesn't need to be a specific month for it but acting like white people have never contributed anything to history or have their own cultures is every bit as nonsensical as thinking black or Asian or any other race have never contributed anything.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 2, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Basically: white people invented everything, found an empty continent where they could live in FREEDOM:911:, black people are still angry about something that happened a long time ago that no one really remembers, and finally will the white race be overwhelmed by immigrants from lesser parts of the globe? :supaburn:

I always preferred learning more so about the Native Americans. I think they're vastly under looked in terms of contributions to this part of the world, and frankly they own.

Amazing how terrible the early English Settlers were when they landed here. Just a bunch of rich white morons who had no idea how to do anything.

I could see a situation where learning about say..famous German-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc would be entertaining though.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

1stGear posted:

This is stupid as poo poo though, FYI. Yeah, there doesn't need to be a specific month for it but acting like white people have never contributed anything to history or have their own cultures is every bit as nonsensical as thinking black or Asian or any other race have never contributed anything.
I think what he meant was just a rehash of the "it would just be what is normally taught in a history class" sentiment.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

WET=NBC Sports. They show sailing, IndyCar, Formula 1, and NHL hockey. NASCAR is coming in 2015 too. (though to be fair F1 and Indy have decent followings from Hispanics, and have Hispanic drivers).

Real Talk. I wish BET wasn't such garbage. I'd love a station that would show actual legitimately good Hip-Hop videos (IE Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, etc) and RN'B (Earth, Wind and Fire, Rick James) over what's currently shown on the channel. It'd be a pretty awesome channel if that was the case.

"Black entertainment" is more than 25 year old rap that only college kids listen to. BET was doing good in the '90s when they showed classic Black films on Friday nights, and they were doing good a few years ago when they were showing reruns of The Wire, but they're not even close to showing what Black audiences actually want: "Nearly all African-Americans polled – 97 percent – say they are unhappy with the Black TV programs currently on air. Seventy-five percent say they want more documentaries, 71 percent prefer more history, 68 percent desire to see more independent films and 59 percent would like to see more news, according to a new study conducted by Target Market News, a Chicago-based organization that tracks Black consumer market trends."

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

pd187 posted:

"Black entertainment" is more than 25 year old rap that only college kids listen to. BET was doing good in the '90s when they showed classic Black films on Friday nights, and they were doing good a few years ago when they were showing reruns of The Wire, but they're not even close to showing what Black audiences actually want: "Nearly all African-Americans polled – 97 percent – say they are unhappy with the Black TV programs currently on air. Seventy-five percent say they want more documentaries, 71 percent prefer more history, 68 percent desire to see more independent films and 59 percent would like to see more news, according to a new study conducted by Target Market News, a Chicago-based organization that tracks Black consumer market trends."

Not accusing of you making stuff up but do you have a link for that, I would like to read some more on it. As for reruns BET has been running them mostly on Centric (formally BET Jazz) but they stopped showing some of their better stuff apparently (Homicide, Luther).

LP97S fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 2, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

pd187 posted:

This reminds me of this study Charlie Brooker did with a bunch of kids from MTV's target demographic over in the UK. Each was given a button to press when they were bored.

He showed them the type of shows that would be on that channel like some really bad game show, "My Super Sweet 16", Skins, etc.

The last one was a documentary called "The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" which was made by the BBC.

The one that went the longest until a button was pushed? The Documentary.

e: Always blame the Network Execs, I guess.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 2, 2013

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

LP97S posted:

Not accusing of you making stuff up but do you have a link for that, I would like to read some more on it. As for reruns BET has been running them mostly on Centric (formally BET Jazz) but they stopped showing some of their better stuff apparently (Homicide, Luther).

I couldn't find the original survey on the Target Market News site - the bit I quoted was from an article in The Root.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2012/05/do_black_people_really_want_quality_tv.html

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always preferred learning more so about the Native Americans. I think they're vastly under looked in terms of contributions to this part of the world, and frankly they own.

Amazing how terrible the early English Settlers were when they landed here. Just a bunch of rich white morons who had no idea how to do anything.

I could see a situation where learning about say..famous German-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc would be entertaining though.

I am honestly astounded that kids aren't taught about Sequoyah in school. Dude literally invented a written language for his people by himself. He's fascinating, and a very legitimate example of a Native American inventor (if racists want to go "non-whites never invented anything").

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gygaxian posted:

I am honestly astounded that kids aren't taught about Sequoyah in school. Dude literally invented a written language for his people by himself. He's fascinating, and a very legitimate example of a Native American inventor (if racists want to go "non-whites never invented anything".

That's probably the only place where Oklahoma history didn't fail me. We learned a lot about Sequoyah. It was actually pretty sympathetic to the ruthless loving-over that the Native Americans got in Oklahoma.

"Don't worry: at the end of this brutal Trail of Tears there's land for you where people already live: good luck! and it will be yours forever and ever and ever, your own territory that white men will never touch because we think it is lovely barren wasteland"
"Oh poo poo, Oklahoma has acres of fertile farmland after all?! Run out and stake your claims, boys, just ignore those undesirables!"
:negative:

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

fill it with "Democrats" :airquote:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pd187 posted:

I have a new found hatred for the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

pd187 posted:

Democrats who can't swim. Gee, I wonder what that might refer to.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommieGIR posted:

I have a new found hatred for the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

Did Larry actually say that (I'd believe it since there are a fuckton of racist Australians out there), or is it just something a racist put in his mouth to try to distance himself from it?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

TheGrizzle posted:

Except all of those exist.

UCCF: most independent scholarship funds
Miss White America: Miss America pageant, especially ironic given how many people like the author freaked out when an Indian-American won this year.
NAAWP: the US federal government and numerous think-tanks
CWC: Congressional Republican Caucus
WET: network television and most cable, doubly for anything Turner-owned or CMT
White History Month: March - January

No you see if a single non-white has anything to do with any of these, then none of them are truly white. A one-drop rule, you might say.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Gygaxian posted:

I am honestly astounded that kids aren't taught about Sequoyah in school. Dude literally invented a written language for his people by himself. He's fascinating, and a very legitimate example of a Native American inventor (if racists want to go "non-whites never invented anything").

They'd just say 'Well, It sure helped stop the white man from taking all their poo poo, didn't it?' :smug:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Did Larry actually say that (I'd believe it since there are a fuckton of racist Australians out there), or is it just something a racist put in his mouth to try to distance himself from it?

No idea about your question, but what does he have to do with racist Australians? Dude was (unfortunately) born in my home state of Nebraska.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No idea about your question, but what does he have to do with racist Australians? Dude was (unfortunately) born in my home state of Nebraska.

I thought he was Australian-- my bad.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

pd187 posted:

RE: RE: re: LARRY THE CABLE GUY TELLS IT AS IT IS!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emron posted:

Every person that's posted 5+ things on my Facebook about RIP PAUL WALKER is a person who posted a bunch of poo poo about how sad it was that people were upset by Whitney Houston dying but not soldiers. Literally every person. 1:1 correlation. It's loving uncanny.

Call them out on it, dig up their history and post their own comments back at them.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

An idiot posted this on his Facebook feed. I'm not sure which way is best to attack it: Historically talking about why the Constitution should be amended, or going along the lines that interpretations have changed in the Supreme Court, even though the document hasn't. Any suggestions?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

An idiot posted this on his Facebook feed. I'm not sure which way is best to attack it: Historically talking about why the Constitution should be amended, or going along the lines that interpretations have changed in the Supreme Court, even though the document hasn't. Any suggestions?

Just bring up the 13th Amendment and make their head spin. And Women voting.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The year is 2046. History is all that remains of whites...

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Job Truniht posted:

Play dirty and put the idiot on the defensive:

"Democrats have never shut down the government over the 2nd Amendment."

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Job Truniht posted:

Of course they use Jefferson when he's the "We should have a revolution/new Constitution every 20 years" guy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gygaxian posted:

Of course they use Jefferson when he's the "We should have a revolution/new Constitution every 20 years" guy.

Because they probably barely know who Madison is, and even if they do he was also an early statist who favored a strong federal government and national bank.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Radish posted:

Those remind me of the old Peanuts strip where Lucy asks her grandma why there's no "kid's day" and the response is "everyday is kid's day."
That one's wrong though, there's many different ones all over the world, as well as a universal one on November 20th.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pd187 posted:

This isn't real.

There are no reputable sources linking it to anything Larry the Cable Guy said, just poo poo like Drudge and a bunch of image macros on blogs. What we have here is a racist shitbag taking something he thinks is funny, and attributing it to conservative "funnyman". Its like that thing supposedly from Jeff Foxworthy about how Democrats all suck, the one that he actually put out a formal statement saying that he didn't say, and he thought it was just mean.

The Blue Collar Comedy guys are all built on self deprecating comedy, which is really the only way their schtick could work - there is no way a single one of them would try some poo poo like this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

This isn't real.

There are no reputable sources linking it to anything Larry the Cable Guy said, just poo poo like Drudge and a bunch of image macros on blogs. What we have here is a racist shitbag taking something he thinks is funny, and attributing it to conservative "funnyman". Its like that thing supposedly from Jeff Foxworthy about how Democrats all suck, the one that he actually put out a formal statement saying that he didn't say, and he thought it was just mean.

The Blue Collar Comedy guys are all built on self deprecating comedy, which is really the only way their schtick could work - there is no way a single one of them would try some poo poo like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDimQTJMjB0&list=PLFE72280FED4045A2

(The Great) David Cross disagrees.

Though to be fair, He did at least admit he was "apathetic" in regards to gay rights. Which is a step up from most conservatives.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDimQTJMjB0&list=PLFE72280FED4045A2

(The Great) David Cross disagrees.

Though to be fair, He did at least admit he was "apathetic" in regards to gay rights. Which is a step up from most conservatives.

There's a big difference between "having his own opinion" and "black people died and I think that's hilarious".

Also, the guy who was in Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekwel has absolutely no place criticizing others for making crap.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

There's a big difference between "having his own opinion" and "black people died and I think that's hilarious".

Also, the guy who was in Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekwel has absolutely no place criticizing others for making crap.

Considering he doesn't pretend to be some bullshit working class salt-of-the-earth character to sell his comedy, yeah he kinda does. David Cross is annoying and he does a lot of lovely stuff, but he also does some great stuff, which is a claim Larry the Cable Guy will never be able to make, and he doesn't have to pretend to be something he is absolutely not to do it.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I'm about to sink to a new low and defend Larry the Cable Guy. How dare a man act out a character to make money? :argh:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Wojtek posted:

I'm about to sink to a new low and defend Larry the Cable Guy. How dare a man act out a character to make money? :argh:

He could at least have the common courtesy to make his character funny.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wojtek posted:

I'm about to sink to a new low

Some really good title/post synergy going on here.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Maybe that makes up the bulk of their routines (I don't watch them), but I've seen a pretty crappy session on TV with relatives. One of the standup sets done by Larry was just mean. Warmed up the crowd for his bit with "Who here likes Walmart?"

The comedy bit was just making fun of people who complain about Walmart, even flat-out listing the common complaints (low wages, mediocre employee treatment, etc) and then saying "If they don't like it, they can go find another job!!"

It was met with the same applause as every other joke. I'm sure I didn't get the phrasing quite right, but the set really came across as mean smugging.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mister Bates posted:

I always found the hard-right political leanings of most church members extremely bizarre when I was still a member, considering that the early church was pretty much communist in all but name. Even today it has a pretty sizable array of social welfare programs funded by tithes from members. My dad is devoutly Mormon and an outspoken liberal Democrat, but he's definitely an outlier, and the only socialist church member I ever encountered was myself.

But that's voluntary (UNDER THREAT OF DAMNATION) and not done by the government! Now get out of our way and let us turn this into a theocracy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

But that's voluntary (UNDER THREAT OF DAMNATION) and not done by the government! Now get out of our way and let us turn this into a theocracy.

Actually speaking of the 'voluntary charity, not taxes' argument that gets made a lot, what's a good counter-argument? I haven't had a lot of luck with "wait you think charity is just going to take care of everything? People aren't nearly that nice" as a counter-argument.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 3, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Magres posted:

Actually speaking of the 'voluntary charity, not taxes' argument that gets made a lot, what's a good counter-argument? I haven't had a lot of luck with "wait you think charity is just going to take care of everything? You're retarded" as a counter-argument.

I usually point out that charity is tax deductible, so you pay no income tax on any money you give to charity. If you don't want to pay any income tax to support the welfare state, it's as easy as doing the Christian thing and giving until you are below the income tax threshold.

Now if someone doesn't want to do this, and loves his money and worldly goods so much: well, Jesus said that if you love the things of the world then you can hardly object when the authorities of the world demand that you give them the material things they rule over: "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." If Jesus the Son of God didn't give a drat about the rich having to give money stamped with the Emperor to the Emperor, then why should I give a drat whether some greedy rich guy has to give a few more dead Presidents to the President?

Nothing stops you from giving away your money to the poor. If you want the worldly luxuries, pay your worldly taxes and quit bitching that those taxes are going to help the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magres posted:

Actually speaking of the 'voluntary charity, not taxes' argument that gets made a lot, what's a good counter-argument? I haven't had a lot of luck with "wait you think charity is just going to take care of everything? You're retarded" as a counter-argument.

Charitable donations drop during recession, while need for charity services increases. The only entity capable of large-scale counter-cyclical spending is the government.