Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Soul Glo posted:

if blood moon hits $10-15 i'll pick up a couple for my playset

so far i'm mainly just hoping this set opens well for phyrexian obliterators to be much lower

curious to see if there's any good fixing for draft/reprinting purposes. won't get fetches again, but old manlands gotta be in this right

It hit 15 last reprint for a long time. This should send copies to the 10 range or lower pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God I hope they reprint Lord of Atlantis.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Why are Obliterators so expensive again? No t1 nor t2 modern deck plays them, is it just EDH again?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Why are Obliterators so expensive again? No t1 nor t2 modern deck plays them, is it just EDH again?

It’s casual in general

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thisuck posted:

They have been expensive since born of the gods.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s casual in general

Ok yeah, so it's the same reason why Sliver Legion is so expensive as well then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

lol if you'd rather your mythics be expensive cards and not casual/EDH fodder so the rare slot gets all the good stuff

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i want obliterators for mono-black edh and kitchen table modern mono-black devotion

speaking of kitchens, i guess i also want a kitchen finks reprint, too, forgot that one

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

i want obliterators for mono-black edh and kitchen table modern mono-black devotion

speaking of kitchens, i guess i also want a kitchen finks reprint, too, forgot that one

Yeah Kitchen Finks definitely needs a reprint.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Does a spell need to resolve in order to trigger an effect on the battlefield that has an on-cast trigger? I was playing an izzet blitz deck the other day and attempted to trigger a Kiln Fiend from a countered spell. My opponent said that the spell needs to resolve for the effect to trigger, and I didn't call a judge and accepted it. But if I'm reading the rules correctly, a spell is cast once it's paid for and goes on the stack, not when it resolves.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'd be surprised if Finks doesn't end up in this set. It was a staple in multiple archetypes throughout its whole run in standard, and they're putting in at least a card or two from each set - I can't think of a single other card from Shadowmoor/Eventide that's more relevant. Maybe Devoted Druid or Fulminator Mage?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Does a spell need to resolve in order to trigger an effect on the battlefield that has an on-cast trigger? I was playing an izzet blitz deck the other day and attempted to trigger a Kiln Fiend from a countered spell. My opponent said that the spell needs to resolve for the effect to trigger, and I didn't call a judge and accepted it. But if I'm reading the rules correctly, a spell is cast once it's paid for and goes on the stack, not when it resolves.

You were right and your opponent was wrong.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No, the act of casting a spell causes "when you cast" triggers to fire.

E:

Good example is something I used for a while in Modern: Thing in the Ice on 3 counters. Cast Bolt, Remand my own Bolt, recast Bolt results in the removal of all 3 counters.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 26, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also I wonder which land cycle is getting reprinted here. Hopefully something that hasn't seen print in a while like Fastlands or Filters but I'll take anything as long as it has nice art.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You were right and your opponent was wrong.

Man, I need to have some confidence going into sanctioned play. I probably wouldn't have won that match anyway, but I think it kind of rattled me for the rest of the event.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

whydirt posted:

Imperial Recruiter will drop some, but I also think demand for it will increase just because so many people didn't even know it existed before. There aren't many utility tutoring effects in red, so it goes into tons of EDH decks and cubes.

If I had to guess, the A25 version will end up in the $40-60 range.

40-60 is still way too much. These Masters sets when all said or done should create enough supply that no card should be above 20 dollars.

WoTC isn't smart so it'll never happen

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Flip Yr Wig posted:

You were right. As soon as you cast the spell, the effect triggers, going on to the stack. Your opponent can do whatever he wants to the spell at that point, but the trigger is on the stack and going to stay there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Man, I need to have some confidence going into sanctioned play. I probably wouldn't have won that match anyway, but I think it kind of rattled me for the rest of the event.

Do not ever be afraid to consult a judge if you aren't sure, and don't ever take an opponent's word that what they are saying is correct. Better to be sure than sorry.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

40-60 is still way too much. These Masters sets when all said or done should create enough supply that no card should be above 20 dollars.

WoTC isn't smart so it'll never happen

After someone posted it in the thread, I peeked into the MTGFinance reddit and it's absolutely bizarre seeing so many people talking about how reprinting highly sought after cards would ruin the game because the cardboard would be worth less money. You'd think they'd want more people to play in their format of choice easily.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/elainechase/status/968184922790756360

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Elvis_Maximus posted:

After someone posted it in the thread, I peeked into the MTGFinance reddit and it's absolutely bizarre seeing so many people talking about how reprinting highly sought after cards would ruin the game because the cardboard would be worth less money. You'd think they'd want more people to play in their format of choice easily.

those people dont play magic

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elvis_Maximus posted:

1) Those guys all need to get swirlies
2) Abolish the reserve list, reprint everything!

Edit: Now i'm picturing grabbing those guys by the ankles and turning them upside down to shake out all the cards they're hording to make prices rise

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

These are the people who don't actually play the game. I don't know a single person who actually plays legacy or vintage who isn't in favor of reprints so we can keep playing our dumb, dead, bad formats.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hoping for the filterlands. They need a reprint bad.

I’ll take another enemy fetch reprint too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hopefully they just reprint whatever lands and don't stick to a cycle. Colonnade, Tarn, Flooded Grove, whatever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

suicidesteve posted:

Hopefully they just reprint whatever lands and don't stick to a cycle. Colonnade, Tarn, Flooded Grove, whatever.

that's straight-up not going to happen and would be a dumb idea

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's straight-up not going to happen and would be a dumb idea but would be a great idea

ftfy

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Hellsau posted:

I made so many tickets with that deck...
I literally spent the last of the playpoints I made from that deck going infinite last week.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I just say "hey I just want to make sure we're playing it right because I remember it differently" and make the judge call. Last Sat it was the interaction of fight and deathtouch when my opponent went to stomp my poor Gonti.

I even let her rewind once the judge confirmed it would resolve to mutual assured destruction but it still seemed to tilt her. What can you do?

It's a complicated game with a lotta edge cases, don't be afraid to ask for a call IMO.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Your opponent never has your best intentions at heart and at anything less than a Pro Tour probably has no idea how the rules work (even at a PT, no guarantees).

Always Always ALWAYS call a judge whenever you're not sure about the rules. If your opponent gets lovely about it, it's on them and not you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maybe they'll reprint allied manlands and enemy fetchlands

this sounds totally reasonable and likely

(I tend to doubt there will be lands as part of a cycle at all)

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Maybe they'll reprint allied manlands and enemy fetchlands

this sounds totally reasonable and likely

(I tend to doubt there will be lands as part of a cycle at all)

I'm still holding out hope for allied manlands

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I just say "hey I just want to make sure we're playing it right because I remember it differently" and make the judge call. Last Sat it was the interaction of fight and deathtouch when my opponent went to stomp my poor Gonti.

I even let her rewind once the judge confirmed it would resolve to mutual assured destruction but it still seemed to tilt her. What can you do?

It's a complicated game with a lotta edge cases, don't be afraid to ask for a call IMO.

Wow you're a brutal father to call a judge on your kid, but I guess she's gotta learn the lessons the hard way. Kids tilt easily, you should teach her that tilting only makes things worse.

also always call a judge that's what they're there for.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
How is this set different than Iconic Masters beyond the specific cards they choose to reprint? Having a card from every set is barely even a theme given that there's no specific reason they have to print anything you care about from any particular set.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Wow you're a brutal father to call a judge on your kid, but I guess she's gotta learn the lessons the hard way. Kids tilt easily, you should teach her that tilting only makes things worse.

also always call a judge that's what they're there for.

Nah this was another adult player. My kid would have taken the ruling with good grace. She tilted bad and lost even with my gracious take back.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

How is this set different than Iconic Masters beyond the specific cards they choose to reprint? Having a card from every set is barely even a theme given that there's no specific reason they have to print anything you care about from any particular set.

It's the same gimmick they used in 8th, just a smattering of cards from every set so you get a bunch of different kinds of cards all at once.

Also Iconic Masters was a huge letdown so let's hope this set is different in that way.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Nah this was another adult player.

yeah I know but you should also brutally crush your child's hopes and dreams when you have a chance

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hellsau posted:

yeah I know but you should also brutally crush your child's hopes and dreams when you have a chance

:yeah: its character building!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's straight-up not going to happen and would be a dumb idea

Yeah it would be a real shame if we didn't have garbage like Lavaclaw Reaches or Stirring Wildwood in the set that costs $10 per pack.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We already have Akroma Red sharing a rarity slot with Imperial Recruiter and Jace TMS so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

We already have Akroma Red sharing a rarity slot with Imperial Recruiter and Jace TMS so

:cry: but my limited experience :cry:

Real post: Akroma makes me think there's a flicker theme.