Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cross-posting from the Goonfleet thread: Goon (and ex-Goonfleet) fmercury smartbombs (AoE attack) an empire mining operation, has a spy on their Vent/TS channel to record the harvesting of tears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilt61ZSRIpI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

Cross-posting from the Goonfleet thread: Goon (and ex-Goonfleet) fmercury smartbombs (AoE attack) an empire mining operation, has a spy on their Vent/TS channel to record the harvesting of tears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilt61ZSRIpI

"We need to spread out more next time, I'm thinkin'."

Haha, that's loving great. Hearing so many great stories about EVE makes me wish I had the time to invest into something like that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fennesz posted:

"We need to spread out more next time, I'm thinkin'."
That suicide attack was pretty sweet, props. The utter dejection in their voices is pretty funny.

I don't know a ton about EVE, why was one of them asking if he should salvage fmercury's poo poo at the end? Was he afraid of a retaliatory attack, do you get flagged for looting another player's poo poo?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 12, 2009

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

coyo7e posted:

That suicide attack was pretty sweet, props. The utter dejection in their voices is pretty funny.

I don't know a ton about EVE, why was one of them asking if he should salvage fmercury's poo poo at the end? Was he afraid of a retaliatory attack, do you get flagged for looting another player's poo poo?

You get flagged for 15 minutes if you loot a wreck belonging to someone else. Salvaging doesn't flag you, though.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
What were those mass of crosses coming from the top of the screen about 1/3 of the way in?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CONCORD police ships. The game's NPC police characters. Two frigates and a battleship, I think, spawned for every ship he killed.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

CONCORD police ships. The game's NPC police characters. Two frigates and a battleship, I think, spawned for every ship he killed.

Surviving the police is grounds for banning.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Phuzzy posted:

I thought the cool thing about EVE was that as long you don't straight up hack you can get away with just about anything?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Phuzzy posted:

Are you loving serious

That is absolutely retarded

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I thought the cool thing about EVE was that as long you don't straight up hack you can get away with just about anything?

Wow, no. Where did you hear that?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheRagamuffin posted:

I was under that impression as well. It's been said repeatedly that people would grief the poo poo out of someone, but wouldn't break any rules, and the admins wouldn't penalize that player because that was what they wanted: Player driven gameworld and economy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Huh? Everywhere, I thought. What about all those stories of giant swindles and pyramid schemes set up that steal thousands of dollars worth of ships and credits? Next to that, it seems pretty tame to blow up a few police ships, unless they're superpowered cheaty admin ships or something.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I don't think it's possible to survive concord, anyway. Pretty much anything in EVE is open season, but when you do anything that warrants the cops showing up, you're dead.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it even possible to run or fight back? I was under the impression they just kind of pop in, blow you up, and leave. Could you commit a crime and have people standing by to fight the police for you?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
In Eve, there are different "security levels" of space. Security levels range from 0.0 (the crazy lawless wild-west poo poo we all hear about) to 1.0 (where CONCORD, the space police, show up pretty much instantly). Lower-security space means the space police take longer to show up, then they don't show up at all (but there are still some automated sentries near jump gates), then there's nothing. This gank was in high-security space.

When I flew with Goonfleet a couple years ago, there were always theorycrafting threads in their forums about the best ways to stretch out your lifespan when you're about to get CONCORDed. Their spaceships may spawn instantly and have really big guns and warp scramblers, but they still play within the same basic rules as everyone else; if you designed a ship solely for this purpose (with high resists, lots of armor, whatever), you can survive long enough to get a second salvo of shots off before you got popped.

The folks in Jihadswarm were (are?) masters of this art - their whole purpose basically was griefing pubbies in high-security space with suicide attacks, so building a ship that could survive the inevitable retaliation for eight or ten seconds was important to them. (Normally you have to worry about having enough energy and ammo and armor to survive a longer fight; here, you KNOW you're gonna die in ten seconds anyway, so you can put in lots of damage enhancers and do things that are pretty dumb in any other situation.)

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

theorycrafting

Yes, but actually surviving an attack, IE, Jihading a ship and getting away without getting killed by CONCORD is considered a game mechanic exploit and grounds for suspension and banning.

This is likely due to response of some of the Jihaddis actually pulling off that wonderful task and the tears that got delivered to CCP in retaliation.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

rotinaj posted:

I was under that impression as well. It's been said repeatedly that people would grief the poo poo out of someone, but wouldn't break any rules, and the admins wouldn't penalize that player because that was what they wanted: Player driven gameworld and economy.

In theory. But if the admins are involved, their policy seems to change pretty fast.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Phuzzy posted:

This is likely due to response of some of the Jihaddis actually pulling off that wonderful task and the tears that got delivered to CCP in retaliation.
It's always been that way. CCP has said for as long as I've played that "The price for attacking someone in High security space is your ship". I started playing three years ago, way before goons were up to any of these antics on the massive scale they've been lately. I'm pretty sure it's been that way since day one actually.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I always liked this video where dwaggy went around stealing ore in a badger and waiting for angry miners to attack him... so he could kill them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzuV-YLy8Z8

In terms of helpless targets, industrials like the badger (especially the badger) are at the top of the chart. They are slow moving and defenseless. Getting killed by a badger is reason enough to quit the game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That just really bugs me for some reason. I mean why not just have your ship insta-destroyed by the game engine itself? And why is it such a big deal - provided you aren't cheating - to gank someone and manage to escape? That'd be the coolest poo poo ever. And it doesn't seem like it's something that would happen terribly often...

Now I don't know how the whole thing works, but what if, kind of like what someone said, you work as a team - let's say I manage to whack some ship in high security and trigger CONCORD, then have a big swarm of co-conspirators put up a meat-shield so I can escape? Is that even possible, and is that breaking the game mechanic?

I care too much about games I don't even play.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Code Jockey posted:

That just really bugs me for some reason. I mean why not just have your ship insta-destroyed by the game engine itself? And why is it such a big deal - provided you aren't cheating - to gank someone and manage to escape? That'd be the coolest poo poo ever. And it doesn't seem like it's something that would happen terribly often...

Now I don't know how the whole thing works, but what if, kind of like what someone said, you work as a team - let's say I manage to whack some ship in high security and trigger CONCORD, then have a big swarm of co-conspirators put up a meat-shield so I can escape? Is that even possible, and is that breaking the game mechanic?

That will go out of control once people theorycraft a way to do that with ease. Essentially, Concord will be meaningless if you can escape from them because people will figure out a reliable way to do just that.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Basically, CONCORD is there so that carebears can run their missions and their mining ops in high-security space. Apparently some people in Eve never PVP. I don't get it either.

The ships probably are there so those same folks don't have to worry about their precious immersion in the game world. If your ship just insta-suicided when you did an "illegal" act, the devs would feel obliged to rationalize it somehow. Maybe they'd say your ship's autopilot/AI realized you were doing something unethical and it had to keep you from further endangering innocent lives. But then they'd have to explain why your ship doesn't do the same thing in 0.0, or why you can't use Hacking (a real in-game skill) to disable that "feature." The Eve devs are big on their NPCs and storyline and all that silly crap.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Basically, CONCORD is there so that carebears can run their missions and their mining ops in high-security space. Apparently some people in Eve never PVP. I don't get it either.

The ships probably are there so those same folks don't have to worry about their precious immersion in the game world. If your ship just insta-suicided when you did an "illegal" act, the devs would feel obliged to rationalize it somehow. Maybe they'd say your ship's autopilot/AI realized you were doing something unethical and it had to keep you from further endangering innocent lives. But then they'd have to explain why your ship doesn't do the same thing in 0.0, or why you can't use Hacking (a real in-game skill) to disable that "feature." The Eve devs are big on their NPCs and storyline and all that silly crap.

The reason ships aren't instant-killed is because of security. 1.0 space has Concord appearing almost instantly so if you didn't kill the other player fast enough, you go boom. Now, if you tanked your ship, you may still have some time to kill them.

In lower security space, though still high security like 0.7, Concord still appears but there is some time between you shooting another player and them arriving. Thus, it is less safe in 0.7 than 1.0 because Concord does not always arrive fast enough to protect people. Of course, this is countered by people making ships with pure focus on damage.

Argas fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 13, 2009

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

The entire EVE economy is built on a foundation of carebears bobbling about quite securely in highsec, providing the universe with the building blocks for pretty much everything. The game needs them to keep going, and they demand a measure of security. It works out quite well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its kind of a funny insight into people when, in a game where you can do anything, they still choose to have the equivalent of a 9-5 and a house in the suburbs.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Code Jockey posted:

Before they changed mechanics all it took was a handful of blaster-dominix battleships to take down a freighter in hisec. Freighters are the biggest moving target you could hit in empire, since anything larger can't go into CONCORD protected space. CONCORD would aggress randomly so they'd spend too much time fighting an endless horde of drones the dominixes could keep making GBS threads out. There was a big uproar when some guys in dominixes killed a freighter in hisec that was filled with billions and billions of ISK in poo poo (like exepnsive ships, high-end minerals, everything) and soon after CONCORD AI was changed so they would focus on player ships and not drones.

You still can kill a freighter in hisec but it would take more than a handful of dominixes. But don't get high on stories of glorious plunder against victims who think they are completely safe in protected empire space. Sitting around in empire and cargo scanning ships as they pass by is very boring, it's not fun at all. If you go on an indiscriminate killing spree (like fmercury) then pretty soon you wont be able to go into empire at all without being shot on site by CONCORD.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

The Third Man posted:

The entire EVE economy is built on a foundation of carebears bobbling about quite securely in highsec, providing the universe with the building blocks for pretty much everything. The game needs them to keep going, and they demand a measure of security. It works out quite well.

then the good stuff on the market is mostly sourced from rarer materials only found in 0.0. The only good thing that comes out of highsec miners is the veld market. Which is the dullest, most boring market to get into.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dred_furst posted:

then the good stuff on the market is mostly sourced from rarer materials only found in 0.0. The only good thing that comes out of highsec miners is the veld market. Which is the dullest, most boring market to get into.

Veld and Ice Minerals.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
all this stuff about a ban if you survive concord is irrevelant; you can't in any circumstances. your cap is neuted (gone) instantly. your drone bandwidth is reduced to 0 (so no more drones). with no cap you can't warp off, jump, or redock (because of aggro) and one concord battleship has more dps then a cap fleet. if you go on sisi (test server), go to a 1.0 system and buy a 1 isk dread, undock it and shoot something, you will be dead before you even see a damage notification. Believe me, I've tried.

And it's one of the few things specifically not allowed because even though they are scared cowardly leeches, carebears and missionrunners do provide another aspect to game, although I believe they all deserve to die at leastnonce because of the expensive ships they fly around with no fear of gank.

also another theorycraft here; if you get like fifty torp ravens, fitted with all bcus, twenty or so frigs with target painters, and maybe 10 frigs with webs, could you possibly kill a concord battleship? in the database the ships do have hp, and with the one hit dmg potential of torp ravens, the sig boost of target painters, and the speed deduction from webs, maybe it could be done.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Sanctum posted:

Binding a key to detdispenser in TFC was practically a grief in itself. Put a fully supplied dispenser somewhere roughly near the flag and as soon as you hear your flag has been stolen hit the key to detonate it and gib some unlucky sucker. I had it bound to 'Q' and I never missed a beat when someone grabbed our flag. That poo poo pissed me off monumentally when I was on the receiving end, but it rarely happened so I can only imagine how I made other people feel getting them twice in a row just as they nab the flag.

This is much less griefing and much more a valid tactic that was certainly used competitively.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mills posted:

This is much less griefing and much more a valid tactic that was certainly used competitively.

A better tactic was building a dispenser on top of spies that feigned death, then blowing it up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think I unintentionally griefed in BF1943. Basically I was running through an airfield to get to a tank, and a plane spawned, so I got into that instead. Apparently there was some shithead waiting for the plane to spawn (I hate it when they do this, people just wait on the tarmac until a plane spawns, get into it, and 90% of the time just crash and waste time). At that point my phone rang so I got up to get it and talk in the other room. When I come back after five minutes or so the idiot was screaming over his mic about me being a human being etc and shooting rockets and whatnot at the plane trying to get it to explode (which it won't, no friendly fire) while I relax peacefully in the cockpit. Why he didn't just go get himself killed and respawn on the carrier or something, I don't know.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Morpheus posted:

I think I unintentionally griefed in BF1943. Basically I was running through an airfield to get to a tank, and a plane spawned, so I got into that instead. Apparently there was some shithead waiting for the plane to spawn (I hate it when they do this, people just wait on the tarmac until a plane spawns, get into it, and 90% of the time just crash and waste time). At that point my phone rang so I got up to get it and talk in the other room. When I come back after five minutes or so the idiot was screaming over his mic about me being a human being etc and shooting rockets and whatnot at the plane trying to get it to explode (which it won't, no friendly fire) while I relax peacefully in the cockpit. Why he didn't just go get himself killed and respawn on the carrier or something, I don't know.

:lol:

Do this intentionally a lot.

Those stupid assholes who just wait for planes deserve it.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

DiminishedAngel posted:

:lol:

Do this intentionally a lot.

Those stupid assholes who just wait for planes deserve it.

My room-mate was sniping people on the carriers the other day, and since the bullet takes probably at least a second or two to reach the target you can tell that they're not moving at all. Just chilling for a plane which will not respawn if our squad is in the game since we tend not to get shot down in 2 minutes due to us not being completely retarded.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I always hated the people who played battlefield just to fly around in jets. It made the game really lovely for anyone who didn't have a joystick, and they could dominate servers. That and they were invariable the most whiny/easily trolled players because they took everything so seriously.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Third Man posted:

I always hated the people who played battlefield just to fly around in jets. It made the game really lovely for anyone who didn't have a joystick, and they could dominate servers. That and they were invariable the most whiny/easily trolled players because they took everything so seriously.

I loved playing on BF2 for just this reason. I would suck up to the admins and get in their good graces, and inevitably there would be the 'srs bzness' jet pilot who always made excuses when he died. And god forbid you ever think about touching his jet. I'd put C-4 on the jet and explode it just before he got into the jet. He would rage so hard, and then I'd complain to the admins about him blowing the jet up over and over. The admins banned them, since I was such a fantastic suckup.

Battlefield 2 jet aces are the worst ever.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

The Third Man posted:

I am this guy. Because I know it makes other people angry.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Eonwe posted:

Same with Desert Combat the BF1942 mod. There was a map called "Lost Village" which was basically a crater lake with a village at one end of the lake and a coalition heli base at the other. The village was Iraqi controlled and the Coalition base was uncappable.

Coalition would heli over and try to cap the 6 village spawn points.

Without fail, half the coalition team would always spawn at the Heli camp waiting for a chopper to respawn so they could fly/man the miniguns instead of helping their teammates cap more points at the village. Since they never bothered to explore as infantry on either side since they would rather fly, they usually never realized that Iraqi anti-tank forces could sneak up to within about 100 feet of the chopper and wait under water, watching their radar for the empty chopper to spawn.

The instant it spawned, I'd jump out of the water with my stinger and be sitting waiting for it to load up and take off. Once I was out of stingers I'd swim over to the edge of the base and stay underwater waiting for the blackhawks. Those usually would have 3-4 people in at a time, if not more. As soon as one started loading up, I'd run, fire my RPG into the chopper and then run back into the water and duck down.

The only way to really counter it was to watch for the Iraqis to come across the hills or to randomly spam the water with C4/grenades. Many, many nights I drove Top Guns to screaming rages because they couldn't get their chopper off the ground and I'd be sitting with a 60:1 KDR.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Eonwe posted:

I loved playing on BF2 for just this reason. I would suck up to the admins and get in their good graces, and inevitably there would be the 'srs bzness' jet pilot who always made excuses when he died. And god forbid you ever think about touching his jet. I'd put C-4 on the jet and explode it just before he got into the jet. He would rage so hard, and then I'd complain to the admins about him blowing the jet up over and over. The admins banned them, since I was such a fantastic suckup.

One of my fondest BF2 memories is being the commander on a huge 64 player map and constantly shelling the enemy aircraft carrier with artillery since people kept spawning there and getting killed (by me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cacator posted:

One of my fondest BF2 memories is being the commander on a huge 64 player map and constantly shelling the enemy aircraft carrier with artillery since people kept spawning there and getting killed (by me).

Made me think of another great thing about Desert Combat. The sky was static, so you could point your mortar tube or SCUD missile at certain cloud formations and know exactly where it would land.

Nothing like raping the enemy base from across the map.

Cloud-aiming the SCUD missile (which killed everything in a huge radius) took a lot of painful back and forth in a very slow moving, clumsy to turn SCUD truck. Usually the people doing it were boring soulless fucks who just wanted to get their KDR up as opposed to pissing off an entire team. So I'd let them get in the SCUD, then grab another vehicle and nudge their missile truck out of it's perfectly aimed state.

They'd curse, back up and after 1-2 minutes get it perfectly aimed again. So I'd ram them again with whatever I was driving. Wash, rinse, repeat and eventually they're screaming.

Man I miss that game.

• Locked thread