Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Two Finger posted:

First round is on EBB!

New AVs for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress you I'm saving for a bay area house which i will never be able to afford in my lifetime :suicide:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just out of curiosity could you post a link to say like a 3 bedroom house in a 'reasonable' area, I want to see how Auckland stacks up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Two Finger posted:

Just out of curiosity could you post a link to say like a 3 bedroom house in a 'reasonable' area, I want to see how Auckland stacks up

A 3 bedroom raised ranch goes for about $225k here in CT

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Two Finger posted:

i sold my 1600sq/ft house last year in Newark, CA for 700k. It was an equal distance from San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco. Right across a bridge from the Facebook main campus. I had bought it in 2008 for 465k.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

A 3 bedroom raised ranch goes for about $225k here in CT

150k in AZ with 5 acres

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Do you have two million dollars

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Two Finger posted:

My parents house is 3bd 3br 2000sqft .5 acre lot and appraised at $220,000

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In my part of CT a 3BR would run around 300-450k.

In my part of VA a 3BR would run around 1-1.25m.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I had meant EBB talking about the bay area haha should have specified

The house I grew up in we bought for I think 250k, sold it when i was 17 for 485, now is on the market for 1.2 million 13 years after that

Auckland is crazy crazy crazy loving expensive because NZ has no capital gains tax and unfortunately the cancer is spreading to the rest of the country

Good job effectively destroying our middle class, thanks NZ government!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The best real estate deals are in the Midwest flyover states where no one with any sanity left would want to live.

*Its the Sanity Clause
/
:dadjoke:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh actually they aren't even bothering to publish prices anymore, everything is by auction

awesome

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Enjoy those Chinese investments

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ya it really doesn't loving help matters when you can literally buy nz citizenship with enough money invested into the country, and with no law on the books regarding foreign ownership there is literally nothing stopping money from flowing into the country

auckland isn't the city i grew up in anymore, it's not necessarily a bad thing but it is changing, we are now something like a quarter asian and with houses now being completely out of reach of anyone who didn't already have property before the 'boom' happened.... yeah, our middle class pretty much doesn't exist anymore.

plus you get all the newspapers running their typical 'is there really a housing crisis?' articles because gently caress if they want to be seen taking a stand on anything

when 90% of people or more can't afford to buy, yeah i'd say that's pretty much the definition of a housing crisis

i could go into it a bit further but the thing is NZ is an agrarian economy and always has been so we are fairly low income by default meaning locals just don't have the spending power to keep up
average house price in auckland is now almost a million

but i'm sure someone will come in here to tell me how i'm bad and wrong and it's because of ~reasons~

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tampa, FL was a lot nicer when I was like 12. It's a dump now.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So, err, that Logan movie...

Holy gently caress.

Don't bring kids or the emotionally frail.

It is not a x men movie. It has mutants, yes, but it is not an x men movie.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The current plan is to DINK the gently caress out of our mid 30s and maybe get a house in ~5 years. In my area, the options are to either go further out and deal with the worst commute in the country, or somehow afford a house here. I am not living out in bumfuck nowhere VA/MD and commuting two hours through DC.

There are people that live in WV and commute to DC. Every. loving. Day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jesus loving christ a lovely little 2 bedroom place close to me is going for 1.25 million

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1253559165.htm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vasudus posted:

The current plan is to DINK the gently caress out of our mid 30s and maybe get a house in ~5 years. In my area, the options are to either go further out and deal with the worst commute in the country, or somehow afford a house here. I am not living out in bumfuck nowhere VA/MD and commuting two hours through DC.

yeah this is happening in auckland too, the thing that does my head in is where i live, when i was a kid it was a loving ghetto, i'm within 5 minutes walk of a street that had the highest rate of car theft in the country, then gentrification happened

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

not caring here posted:

So, err, that Logan movie...

Holy gently caress.

Don't bring kids or the emotionally frail.

It is not a x men movie. It has mutants, yes, but it is not an x men movie.

No, its like a gritty western that happens to star wolverine

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, having mentioned that, it's kind of like that Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven.

But more brutal. Way more brutal. And a horrible sadness throughout. My wife is worn the gently caress out after watching it.

If they make another x men movie after this it's gonna be poo poo because it won't be as good as this one.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

jesus loving christ a lovely little 2 bedroom place close to me is going for 1.25 million

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1253559165.htm

How much is a NZ dollar in real money?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

currently 0.7 to the USD

making that house 879650.00 USD

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Please watch to the end:

https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/837711835918893057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm probably going to rent an one bedroom apt art meant for ~1400/mo but whatever that gets me central air/heat and maybe in-unit laundry.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I hope her mom buys her ice cream for that

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I have no idea how the gently caress people do this 2+ hours of commute each day. There isn't a peaceful or serene enough view to make up for the rage I'd suffer from that drive and the knowledge of how much of my life I'm spending driving to loving work

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

like working at sea loving owns

people ask me how i manage being away for months at a time but gently caress, i don't have to deal with daily traffic or any of the bullshit and i get half the year off

sweet deal

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I have no idea how the gently caress people do this 2+ hours of commute each day. There isn't a peaceful or serene enough view to make up for the rage I'd suffer from that drive and the knowledge of how much of my life I'm spending driving to loving work

my commute is 10 seconds by foot

lol if you dont work from home everyday

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Vasudus posted:

Who wouldn't want to ride the MARC... or pay $15 in greenway tolls a day??? :mmmhmm:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I don't know what commute you had, but I drove home from Pearl to Waikiki every day and that was a horrible bumper to bumper commute that range from 45 minutes to 2 hours on one valentine's day. It gets worse going the other way. It was great, though, because I got to go home to Waikiki every night.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TBeats posted:

Tampa, FL was a lot nicer when I was like 12. It's a dump now.

You're in Tampa?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man the guy in the cubicle next me to just struggles with his job. It's painful listening to the conversations he has where he just can't figure poo poo out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Man the guy in the cubicle next me to just struggles with his job. It's painful listening to the conversations he has where he just can't figure poo poo out.

You talk into a mirror at work?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

You talk into a mirror at work?

That's twice this week you've made that crack at me. You need new material.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That's twice this week you've made that crack at me. You need new material.

Stop setting yourself up to be dunked on then fool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

You're in Tampa?

No I'm in Virginia. But I was born and raised in Tampa and lived there for a year after the army.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my commute is 10 seconds by foot

lol if you dont work from home everyday

Typically 3 days a week for me, plus two afternoons.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I live 5 minutes from work now. Only way I'm moving more than 10 minutes from work is if I'm next to the dog park, but that poo poo's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I watched 16 Blocks today. It's best viewed as the proper conclusion to the Die Hard series. The DH movies after are all best forgotten.

• Locked thread