Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Light Gun Man posted:

SRW constantly doing Nadescio and using half it's dialog retreading/undoing the sad expanded material.

I'd be more okay with it if they'd use songs other than Black Serena III lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

bone emulator posted:

There's already at least one completed and pretty good retranslation out there.
What is this supposed to do that's different?

Last I heard the other translation changed things for no good reason despite there being a standardized terminology across the modern series, like phoenix down to Phoenix tail or moogle to moguri, could be rectifying that I guess.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Reive posted:

Last I heard the other translation changed things for no good reason despite there being a standardized terminology across the modern series, like phoenix down to Phoenix tail or moogle to moguri, could be rectifying that I guess.

i mean that's not changing anything, that's just not localizing to match official usages. I totally get not liking that, and it doesn't mean a new retranslation is unjustified at all. but that's distinct from changing things.

personally I don't really mind at all when a fan translation does something like that because you can just say 'hey we're not localizing to official terms here' and have that be known. it's definitely not a 'better' way of doing it but I think sometimes you can come away with some neat insights about the translation process or even about the script. Having different priorities can make for some neat differing perspectives.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

neongrey posted:

i mean that's not changing anything, that's just not localizing to match official usages. I totally get not liking that, and it doesn't mean a new retranslation is unjustified at all. but that's distinct from changing things.

personally I don't really mind at all when a fan translation does something like that because you can just say 'hey we're not localizing to official terms here' and have that be known. it's definitely not a 'better' way of doing it but I think sometimes you can come away with some neat insights about the translation process or even about the script. Having different priorities can make for some neat differing perspectives.

Its probably pedantic, but "tail" and "down" are very different words describing very different things. They're not different interpretations of the same word.

If all the differences are like that, then it would be correct to call them changes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's been a while since I tried it, but I could have sworn the one ff7 retranslation patch had an option to keep the standardized spell and item names. I have a distinct memory of making it to the end of disc 1 with it, alongside the upscale mod, and I don't remember any different names for those types of things

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm on mobile, otherwise I would track down the Iscar Matthias thing one of the Beacause guys has tried to basically memory hole. It perfectly encapsulates the kind of nuts just below the surface of that whole thing.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm on mobile, otherwise I would track down the Iscar Matthias thing one of the Beacause guys has tried to basically memory hole. It perfectly encapsulates the kind of nuts just below the surface of that whole thing.

From the original Beacause thread, before the dude got so loving lambasted for it he acted like it never existed:

"When finished, this mod will completely remove Cait Sith from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judus Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. I have chosen these names to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally. Iscar will change and grow as a character. At first he will be a simple Shin-Ra spy, dedicated to his job, but over time, he will come to understand that he is working for the wrong people and change sides.

Cait Sith is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development. The character has no logical or believable reason to join your party, or be allowed to join it. The idea that Reeve, a top executive for Shin-Ra, could or would remote control a toy robot cat mounted on top of a stuffed white toy as a tool for espionage, is ridiculous.

Iscar will change the character model, script, FMV and battle related information. Cait will be utterly annihilated. Where possible I will stick to the original script. The basic plot will remain intact, except that it will be more plausible. I have actually had fanboys trying to rationalise the writing regarding Cait Sith. These people generally display an unbelievably poor understanding of fiction and writing (the usual excuse being "It's just fiction" *roll eyes*).

Cait's going no matter WHAT you say."

(said dude was also such a massive shithead and so difficult to work with he was essentially FF7 modding Arthmoor, and constantly did things like break GPL licenses and create flame wars until he was finally banned from the modding forum)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not great on my biblical studies, but was there even time to replace Judas Iscariot with someone before Jesus was crucified?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

Its probably pedantic, but "tail" and "down" are very different words describing very different things. They're not different interpretations of the same word.

If all the differences are like that, then it would be correct to call them changes.

pulling from my rear end here but maybe it's like tail feathers and feathers can be called down? eh. seems pointless to do when down has already been so established.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Kurui Reiten posted:

From the original Beacause thread, before the dude got so loving lambasted for it he acted like it never existed:

"When finished, this mod will completely remove Cait Sith from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judus Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. I have chosen these names to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally. Iscar will change and grow as a character. At first he will be a simple Shin-Ra spy, dedicated to his job, but over time, he will come to understand that he is working for the wrong people and change sides.

Cait Sith is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development. The character has no logical or believable reason to join your party, or be allowed to join it. The idea that Reeve, a top executive for Shin-Ra, could or would remote control a toy robot cat mounted on top of a stuffed white toy as a tool for espionage, is ridiculous.

Iscar will change the character model, script, FMV and battle related information. Cait will be utterly annihilated. Where possible I will stick to the original script. The basic plot will remain intact, except that it will be more plausible. I have actually had fanboys trying to rationalise the writing regarding Cait Sith. These people generally display an unbelievably poor understanding of fiction and writing (the usual excuse being "It's just fiction" *roll eyes*).

(said dude was also such a massive shithead and so difficult to work with he was essentially FF7 modding Arthmoor, and constantly did things like break GPL licenses and create flame wars until he was finally banned from the modding forum)

lmfao this is awesome, glad these kinds of nerds still exist

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kurui Reiten posted:

Cait Sith kicks rear end actually.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I didn't used to like Cait Sith but as I've grown older, I've realized he's actually kind of great yeah.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not great on my biblical studies, but was there even time to replace Judas Iscariot with someone before Jesus was crucified?

Mattias is selected to replace Judas shortly after the ascension (an unknown time after the crucifixion.) Here's the relevant passage:

Acts 1 23-26 posted:

So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

Then he is never mentioned again.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah i don't trust the existing retranslation entirely on the merit of the judas iscar matthias traitorio thing so someone taking another crack at it and them being a research and lore nerd instead of insane is good, to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

yeah i don't trust the existing retranslation entirely on the merit of the judas iscar matthias traitorio thing so someone taking another crack at it and them being a research and lore nerd instead of insane is good, to me

I prefer research nerds who are also mentally ill

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

nothing can be perfect

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

In Training posted:

but you repeat yourself.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My absolute favorite thing about the Iscar Matthias thing is for someone who supposedly knows sooo much about what VII really means, you think he'd know Reeve's whole deal was in some of the earliest design stuff. When Jenova was some magical brain power thing, the Turks were a team with the ability to sense Jenova users, and people just kind of had random powers (Reeve being able to give life to and subsequently control inanimate objects).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Annath posted:

Well to be equally pedantic if anything "Down" is the change because the original term is フェニックスの尾, and 尾 never means anything but "tail." Same word you'd use for a tail of a monkey or a squirrel or something. "Phoenix Down" would be more like フェニックスの羽 or maybe フェニックスの羽毛. So it's not really a "change" unless you expect the fan translation to strictly adhere to whatever the commercial standard is, regardless of its accuracy.

So basically this:

neongrey posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
reminded of the time an official final fantasy poked fun at a fan translation that decided to call him cefcea instead of kefka

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hollld on, there's an entire mod manager for FF7 now? this is, neat- how do i get this? does it work on the old discs version, or only steam rerelease?

last time i set about adding mods to ff7-pc i remember it being a monster task wherein u also had to be careful not to brick your install

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Peanut Butler posted:

hollld on, there's an entire mod manager for FF7 now? this is, neat- how do i get this? does it work on the old discs version, or only steam rerelease?

last time i set about adding mods to ff7-pc i remember it being a monster task wherein u also had to be careful not to brick your install

I think this is what you're looking for: https://7thheaven.rocks

I got this going on my steam deck and it works pretty well.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

7th Heaven rocks. It's got a built in download catalogue, checks for compatibility issues between them, has built in renderer and engine improvements, etc etc. They've even got 60fps support across the entire game now.

I'd also recommend checking out the New Threat mod on there if you haven't already. It has 2 modes, both of which remix content, add bosses, new sidequests and mechanics in a really professional and polished way.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Rovertronic/status/1792208591442825268

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Holy hot drat

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone have any input on which of the “upgraded” romhacks of Fire Red and Emerald are the best? I know Perfect Crystal is the “best” for Crystal, but it seems like there are so many different ones available for FR and E.

Also, does anything similar exist for Sapphire? I know Emerald is the one people typically choose when thinking of the Gen 3 mainline games, but Sapphire is definitely the one I’m most nostalgic over.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That Mario Builder 64 is wild. It can just read and write level files to the SD card on an Ever Drive.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have any input on which of the “upgraded” romhacks of Fire Red and Emerald are the best? I know Perfect Crystal is the “best” for Crystal, but it seems like there are so many different ones available for FR and E.

Also, does anything similar exist for Sapphire? I know Emerald is the one people typically choose when thinking of the Gen 3 mainline games, but Sapphire is definitely the one I’m most nostalgic over.

I believe Pokemon Revelation is the current best Hoenn upgrade? Not sure about FireRed. Pokemon Throwback? Same hacker as Revelation.

There's almost no hacks for Sapphire because in the early days of hacking people decided to all focus on the same game to simplify sharing information and they picked Ruby (and/or Emerald later). Same for LeafGreen, the community picked FireRed. I believe at this point it's even recommended to always hack FireRed over Emerald unless you specifically want contests, and even then it might be preferred to patch them into FireRed.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LODGE NORTH posted:

I like Pokemon Theta Emerald Renev.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zamujasa posted:

reminded of the time an official final fantasy poked fun at a fan translation that decided to call him cefcea instead of kefka

This is literally just trivia but that didn't come from that translation, it's how the Japanese merch etc spelled it. it's not uncommon for a different romanization to get used domestically from the English version. it's one of the several reasons Aerith stuck around long enough to become the official English spelling.

and yeah what I was getting at before was that phoenix down is the actual change vis tail. it's not a bad change at all but if you're embarking on a project of the "well I'm gonna redo it myself" nature, you would be more likely to come up with tail than down.

alternatively ff9 used phoenix 'pinion' for one of its items which imo would also work but yeah.

I have all this stupid junk in my head and nothing to do with it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
If we want to get deep into the weeds, it should have been "phoenix feather" based on the art/sprites. They always show a colorful, fully developed feather, while down feathers are usually dull, like white, gray, or black, and aren't very distinct in shape :v:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
edit: nevermind

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

nice, thanks everyone,!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

Crystal has a few good hacks. I'm going to list a few that are similar to Perfect Crystal that you may want to check out.

Sour Crystal:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/pokemon-sour-crystal-improvement-hack.434361/

This one adds the pager system from the later games, which I find is super nice. Has an optional hard mode similar to black 2/white 2.

Polished Crystal:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/pok%C3%A9mon-polished-crystal-update-2-2-0.373172/
Latest download: https://github.com/Rangi42/polishedcrystal/releases

Another quality of life changes. They have two different versions. Faithful keeps pokemon the way they were.

Crystal Legacy:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8134/

Another Crystal hack with QoL changes. This is maintained by SmithPlays on youtube. He made an unofficial version that allows you to catch all three starters and changes their types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlCAOjBp1c

It kind of breaks the game a bit but it's interesting.

There's two hacks of Firered I like.

Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen+

https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/complete-pokefirered-pok%C3%A9mon-firered-and-leafgreen.454382/

Adds a lot of nice QoL changes. There's multiple difficulties too. Rematching trainers is super easy. Allows you to switch between firered and leafgreen.

There's two emerald hacks I like:

Emerald Plus and Double Plus:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6528/
https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/pok%C3%A9mon-emerald-plus.461682/

Brings a lot of QoL features from later games.

Modern Emerald:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/threa...nd-more.494005/

A lot of QoL changes here too. This lets you customize so much about your game.

Honorable mention:

Pokemon unbound
https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/pok%C3%A9mon-unbound-completed.382178/

This is a totally original story with pokemon. The story is a bit "edgy."

Pokemon Team Rocket Edition
https://rocket-edition.com/

You get to play as a team rocket grunt. It's also a bit edgy.

Radical Red
https://www.pokecommunity.com/threa...ailable.437688/

A difficulty hack based on gen 3 that adds pokemon from later games.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 20, 2024

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’m playing through Pokémon Fool’s Gold right now because of the Let’s Play thread. It made me realize that I haven’t played Gold/Silver in ages. It’s really fun! I love the idea of every Pokémon is a regional variant. Bellsprout is a cannon with little wheels.

I finished Pokémon Kanto Expansion Pak recently, which was great too. Now that I’m playing Fool’s Gold, I feel like I’m playing the sequel to KEP… and it got real weird.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the hacks that let you start with a different Pokémon other than 3 starters. I always wanted that since I was a kid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the hacks that let you start with a different Pokémon other than 3 starters. I always wanted that since I was a kid.

I like how the game where they give you the starter that is 8 starters can't actually evolve into any of them. >_>

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonROMhacks/comments/1chx77r/compilation_of_vanilla_quality_of_life_qol_hacks/

I found a list of QoL Pokemon romhacks.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

big shoutout for PureRGB, the smooth scrolling alone blew my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

having boxed my starter pretty quickly in the recent gens, i definitely feel this