Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/suprise_news/status/846419833193349120

Hello and welcome to the rom hacking/translation megathread, a place where we can talk about our favorite fan-hacked video games.

These are occasionally brought up in the retro gaming megathread and elsewhere, but I felt that they deserved their own spotlight, as that thread tends to focus more on the hardware side of things.

WHAT IS ROM HACKING?

Basically, rom hacking is modifying a video game (usually a ROM image, hence its name) in some way to make it different from its original, official release. These changes can be for any number of reasons, from fixing bugs that exist in the original game to altering graphics, music, dialogue, and anything in between. Some of the most popular hacks are fan-made translations of games that were never localized (or perhaps poorly localized previously).

Most rom hacks are for older games, particularly from the 8 and 16-bit eras, but there are definitely more modern translations and hacks that have been worked on. I grew up on the NES and SNES, so these opening posts will be a bit biased in that regard, but discussion from all classic gaming systems are welcome in this thread!

HOW DO I PLAY THESE GAMES?

Most rom hacks/translations are released as patches (typically in the .ips or .bps format). Theoretically this means all content in the patch is the work of the rom hackers and thus, no intellectual property is violated. Theoretically.

These files are then attached to the original rom using a program, thus modifying the original game.

Unlike IPS and BPS patches, roms technically are :filez:

WAIT HOLD ON SO IS THIS ILLEGAL?

It falls in a delightfully gray area where arguments can be made one way or the other. But the general thinking is that the hacks themselves are fine UPDATE: Goon lawyers are all up in my PMs yelling at me that no, because they're derivative works, these technically are copyright infringement if unauthorized. But with a few notable exceptions, what Nintendo and other game companies most frown on and take action over is the selling or offering to download roms en masse. IPS patches, not so much.

In fact, Nintendo in particular has a history of targeting large rom sites and on a few occasions gone after specific rom hacks/home brew games as well (some prominent recent cases involved a Pokemon rom hack and a home brew remake of Metroid 2 that appears to have been far superior to the official remake Nintendo recently did. Square Enix is also notoriously possessive of the Chrono Trigger franchise, despite not doing anything of note with it in two decades).

So long story short, we've all been doing this for 20+ years at this point so unless you're hosting thousands of roms on a website, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. But I'm not a lawyer so don't hold me accountable if the Big N breaks down your door and confiscates your rom hacks.

Although my buddy and fellow goon Frank Cifaldi sums it up better:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1090691601934893056

OK SO HOW DO I PLAY THESE?

Lots of ways! Probably easiest is to download an emulator on your computer, modern game console, or mobile device. An emulator simply takes your computer and tries to recreate the video game console in question so you can play the rom. Some emulators work better than others, and some game systems have more emulators to experiment with than others.

Emulators have been ported onto modern consoles and of course, hacking your SNES Classic (or making your own Rasberry Pi clone) can also do the trick.

There are other ways, as well. Some technically savvy people have been able to do full cartridge reproductions of rom hacks or translations. This is usually done without the permission of the rom hackers who did all the work as well as the original game publisher. They tend to be overpriced and unnecessary unless you want a pretty package for your shelf.

In recent years, flash carts have become more and more popular as ways to experience these games on the original hardware. Some examples include Everdrive or the sd2snes, which allow you to put roms on an SD card, then insert the card into a cartridge, slap said cartridge into a game console and play directly through the system. It's another reason repro carts are completely pointless. The retro-gaming megathread would probably be a better place to talk shop on it this, however.

Related Threads:
Retro Gaming Megathread

NES/SNES/PSX Mini console thread

Retro Pi thread

Link to the Past Randomizer community/tournament thread

Romhackeria 3: A rom hack LP thread

Resources:
Wikipedia has a surprisingly thorough page on rom hacking if you want a more detailed explanation.

Romhacking.net - The largest English-language repository of rom hacks and translations. We all collectively freak out any time it goes down.

Zophar's Domain - The grandaddy of video game emulation sites. Need an emulator? You'll find it here.

Krikzz.com - Get yourself an Everdrive. Unless it's for the Super Nintendo, then get an sd2snes. But otherwise, get yourself an Everdrive.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Randomizer - Play A Link to the Past again... for the first time.

Zeldix MSU-1 forums - if you want to go down the CD audio rabbit hole with your SNES (more on this further down the thread)

Data Crystal - a rom hacking wiki. Now at a new home over on [url=https://tcrf.net/The Cutting Room Floor[/url]!

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

(huge thanks goes to Heran Bago for many of these examples and writing much of the following introductory posts)

This post focuses on games translated into English that are otherwise not English. There are tons of other language translations out there though! Want to play Radiant Historia or Chrono Cross in Spanish? Maybe you want Goldeneye 007 or Shenmue II in French. There are a lot of Korean and German translations. See what's out there for your native language.

Below I present a very small selection of what's available out there, to help kick off the conversation.

Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun (NES)

AKA "Kid Dracula," it's Konami's classic cutesy Castlevania spinoff. I bought the soundtrack on vinyl and you should too. UPDATE: A new translation was released in January of 2019. Dunno if it's any better, but there it is.

Armadillo (NES)

Another fun 8-bit action platformer. If you ever dive into the wonderful world of Famicom bootlegs (something I'd argue is worth its own thread), you might recognize this as a pirated fake "Super Mario 4" where our hero does his trademark uhm... turning into a ball and rolling around. You know. Mario! :mario:

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD)

Recommended by falz This particular Castlevania, a prequel to Symphony of Night, has made its way to various consoles over time (Dracula X for SNES, a port to PSP about 10 years ago, etc). But this is the original, 1993 release for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-CD. One of this translations biggest pros -- or biggest cons depending on your viewpoint -- is the audio has been dubbed fully into English, using the PSP version. People have asked for a subbed version of this patch, but as far as I'm aware of, none has been made at this time.

Cocoron (NES)

Perhaps my biggest claim to fame was running a rom site circa 1999 that prominently featured this game and how crazy weird it is. It's a cute, colorful platformer where you customize your character into a mecha tank ninja thing and go battle a tapir-elephant wearing a mumu in a surreal dreamscape. An oldie but goodie.

Blue Blink (PC Engine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKouWj2nrpo
A fun action platformer with a translation that... hasn't really aged all that well. But this ain't an RPG or anything, the translation is kind of secondary, tbh

Getsu Fuuma Den (NES)

A beloved action platformer that, along with Castlevania, helped establish Konami as a top-tier developer for the Nintendo Famicom back in 1987. Also called "The Legend of Fuma," this game was actually fan translated by RPGe way back in 98. While RPGe is lauded for their incredible work translating Final Fantasy V for the first time, their Fuma translation... did not age well. At all. Earlier this year another rom hacking group gave it the polished translation it deserved.

King Colossus (Sega Genesis)

Recommended by falz It feels as though Genesis didn't have nearly as many RPGs as its Nintendo counterpart, but that certainly doesn't mean there weren't some great ones, with the Shining Force and Phantasy Star series just two name a couple. King Colossus is a fun action-adventure RPG that for whatever reason never made it to English, until this fan translation was completed.

Live A Live (SNES)

I love this game. Released just months after Final Fantasy VI in Japan, this Squaresoft RPG at first glance looks dated even for 1994. But it makes up for it in being a weird mishmash of six distinct chapters, each taking place in a different time period in human history and each having its own distinct play mechanics. Translation group AGTP went above and beyond with this, even giving each chapter its own unique dialogue font to match the tone of the story. Play this through the end, it's totally worth it.

Monster World IV (Sega Genesis)

People seem to like this series. It's all colorful.

Mother 3 (Game Boy Advance)

The highly praised sequel to Mother 2, aka EarthBound. It's the gold standard in fan translations, as its translator, Tomato, has since gone professional and written numerous books on the video game translating process, and the balance needed between simply translating dialogue and "localizing" it so it seems natural to the audience while not losing its original meaning. If you're an EarthBound fan you've probably already played this. If not... go and play this anyways.

Policenauts (Sega Saturn)

Video: Early demo showing some of its work
Hideo Kojima's classic follow-up to Snatcher, Policenauts was only released in Japan. A translation group made a patch for the Playstation version years ago, but more recently completed the Saturn version, which is by all accounts superior with added content and better artwork. Additionally, this patch also fixes some bugs that were in the original game. It is possible to play this on real hardware!

Tengai Makyou Zero (SNES)

Also known as Far East of Eden Zero, this is a massive late-era SNES RPG by Hudson Soft that for the longest time was thought untranslatable. Well it's been translated, friends. It makes use xml files which limits the emulators it works on (higan and I think later Snes9x will do the trick). It currently does NOT work in sd2snes, sadly.

Retranslations:
When games are brought overseas and adapted to a Western audience they are translated professionally and localized. Sometimes significant content is lost in the process. Professional translatiors usually use Western mannerisms and grammar to appeal to a different crowd and there is a lot of room for creativity. Some people prefer literal translations and for whatever reason it makes their blood boil when Ted Woolsey translates "kisama!" as "Son of a submariner!" Japanophiles can get together and retranslate games to be more 'accurate.' I think these retranslations are less fun but they're serious endeavors and it's worth mentioning that they exist.

Some notable examples:

Contra
The Japanese version contains cutscenes, a detailed map between levels, and background animation that the Western release couldn't afford the cartridge space to. If you have the option you should play a translated Japanese version of the game over the Western original no matter how nostalgic it is for you.

Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III – Dracula's Curse)
This is similar to the changes seen in Contra. In Castlevania III's case the are some difficulty tweaks that actually make the game easier and more fair in dealing damaging, as well as an extra audio layer for better music all around.

Dynamite Headdy
Like Castlevania III this game was made way too loving hard when it was brought to the West. Also most of the text was just removed because translation means :effort:.

Breath of Fire 2
Recommended by Pokeytax A classic RPG for the SNES that is perhaps best known for having one of the absolute worst translations to grace a role playing game. It's a low bar to make an sort of improvement on the original translation, but thankfully this not only improves it, it goes above and beyond and is absolutely a top-tier fan translation.

Phantasy Star
Recommended by falz I totally forgot about this one guys, my bad. The first entry of Sega's classic RPG franchise, this retranslation does the usual improvement of polished dialogue, expanded text windows, and so on, but the REAL REASON you'll want to play this is the translation utilizes the Japan-only FM-synth soundchip, which sounds 100% better than what we got in the West. Completely worth it.

Of course there are also fan retranslations that will sometimes leave you scratching your head. Did we really need a new Final Fantasy VI translation to have Kefka become Cefca? Was there really a lot of clamor to "fix" Zero Wing? It's all subjective I suppose, but still... sometimes you're better off just sticking with the original.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 1, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There are :wom: hacks that are just minor improvements or fixes to games. There are hacks that fix crappy color and sound in GBA games to make them more like their SNES counterparts. Here I will only be showing off hacks that make significant changes to the game. Minor hacks are worth mentioning and discussing so please feel free to talk about the FFVI nudity restoration patch or whatever.

I'm also not familiar with the extensive and impressive Pokemon and Mega Man hacks out there. If you know of any noteworthy hacks then please speak up! Might even add it to the list here.

Sonic and Mario both have extremely active fan hacking communities as well, but I won't really touch on them too much.

First, here are a couple of well-known hacking types that have gained popularity in recent years

MSU-1
This is a brand-new expansion SNES chipset created by byuu (creator of the higan and bsnes emulators, among many other things). Think of it as an add-on chip like SuperFX or SA-1, but was created circa 2012. What it does is allow for the use of CD-quality audio and FMV scenes in Super Nintendo games. Essentially the audio and FMV tracks are kept as separate files from the rom, and the rom uses in-game hooks to pull up the music or video. Thus dozens of SNES games have been hacked to allow for MSU-1 music to be called up in-game. Snes9x recently added MSU-1 support and of course byuu's emulators can handle it easily. If you want to see/hear it coming from an actual SNES console, you'll need an sd2snes as it's not compatible with Everdrive. Zeldix.net is kind of the central hub of MSU-1 hacking activity. A couple of my personal favorite MSU hacks will be included below, but I wanted to also give a quick heads up that rom hacker qwertymodo is currently working on an amazing Chrono Trigger MSU-1 project (currently in beta) that not only uses symphonic music, but also adds in the Playstation FMV cut scenes.

Randomizers
These type of hacks are extremely popular but I confess I never did much with these. Randomizers are unique, custom-made rom hacks that takes a game and, well, randomizes things like item placement, character abilities, dungeon layouts, etc. You basically set your criteria for what you want changed on a website, then it creates your very own custom rom. There are dozens of randomizer games, but far and away the most popular is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which has its own dedicated tournament/speedrunning community. Go join other goons in the randomized madness with the Zelda randomizer community thread.

Kaizo Mario

A subset of the very large Super Mario rom hacking community, Kaizo hacks are pain manifested in video game form. Something hurt Kaizo and now Kaizo wants to hurt you in any and every way imaginable. To know Kaizo is to know the futility of man, and that the only peace you can expect is the merciful embrace of death.
Observe: https://youtu.be/8GgU832pBGM?t=358

Now, here are a couple of notable rom hacks, but this really only touches the surface of what can be done with video games:

Metroid: Rogue Dawn (Metroid)

A fan-made prequel to the Metroid series, it has you playing a space pirate under the command of Ridley sent to take a newly-discovered biological speciman from a Federation research crew, thus setting off the events that would lead to the original NES Metroid game. All-new graphics and level design, an awesome new soundtrack, easter eggs, and a save system, it's incredible what the hackers did in the framework of Metroid.

Conker's High Rule Tail (A Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)

This might be the most ambitious, batshit crazy rom hack I've ever seen, probably on the level of inspired WTFness as the Shut Up and Jam Gaiden series. This is the fan-made sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day that we never knew we wanted that makes heavy use of the MSU-1 chip. MSU-1 is a SNES chip created by byuu (the developer of the higan and bsnes SNES emulators) that allows for SNES games to have CD-quality audio and FMV sequences. While you can play this game without the MSU features, you really are missing out on a lot. I would post a link to the James Bond-style FMV opening but for some reason I can't find it on YouTube anywhere. Anyways, to take full advantage of the MSU-1, you need to either play the game using a compatible emulator (recent versions of Snes9x, higan or bsnes) or on the sd2snes (not Everdrive) and have the audio and FMV files downloaded along with the patch. I really like MSU, guys.

As for the game itself... well, it's a sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day. The humor is very crude and vulgar, and people tend to either really love the game or really hate it. If nothing else, it's definitely a spectacle showing how extensive rom hacking can become.

Super Mario Land 2 DX (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)

A conversion of Super Mario Land 2 into a Game Boy Color special edition, much like Link's Awakening DX. In addition to the color improvements, Luigi is now a playable character with his very own, Luigi-esque physics.

The Legend of Blob Bros. 2 (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Rom hacker BMF54123 is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking Super Mario Odyssey SNES rom hack (totally unrelated to the Switch game which came out years later), but my personal favorite of his is this much-older hack of Mario 2. It was one of the most extensive hacks for its time, changing stage layouts, new music and game physics. It lures you in with the first few stages looking pretty familiar to its source game, but about halfway through it goes off in a very different direction. Amazing to play through, but it is hard as hell without savestates.

BS Zelda MSU restorations (BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets)

Oh man, how do I summarize this one? BS-X was a Japanese only satellite service for the Super Famicom, where games were broadcast weekly to your console. These were often unique games not found anywhere else and with the satellite service, you could have CD-quality audio broadcast alongside the game in real-time. There were several unique Zelda games made available on this service, and rom hackers have spent years trying to get them working again, restoring lost graphics, removing timers, and more recently, bringing back the original audio thanks to MSU-1. They even made a fan-dub. It's kind of complicated to explain because you have multiple patches that do multiple things for multiple games that were broadcast on the BS-X. But trust me, this is a rabbit hole worth falling down in.

The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)

From the creators of Conker's High Rule Tail. A completely new Zelda game using the LttP engine, held in regard as one of the best rom hacks ever made. It is hard as hell though, but its 10-year anniversary saw an update that supposedly balanced the gameplay quite a bit.

Dragoon X Omega II (Final Fantasy)

Another "total conversion" rom hack, this time for the original Final Fantasy for NES. I never played it but people say it's good so...?

Crimson Echoes/Flames of Eternity (Chrono Trigger)

A very rare instance where a rom hacking project was given a C&D. Crimson Echoes was a fan-made sequel to Chrono Trigger, set about five years after the original game and meant to better bridge the original and Chrono Cross. It was in development for about five years and nearing release when Square-Enix sent a cease-and-desist. A near-complete beta snuck its way on to the Internet as these things often do, and shows off the ambition of what the rom hackers were aiming to achieve (don't ask me where to find it). Eventually a spinoff of the canceled project was begun called "Flames of Eternity," which is currently available to download from RHDN. Back in 2017 the lead rom hacker teased there was "something in the works" but has been silent ever since. So who knows. (also as an aside, the same rom hacking team made another hack called Prophet's Guile that's a side story on Magus)

bisquit's Castlevania II (Castlevania II: Simon's Quest)

Recomended by parasyte Part retranslation, part improvement rom hack, this project puts a lot of shine on the oft-neglected second installment of the Castlevania franchise. In addition to an all-new translation, a detailed map was created, a save function built to replace the password system, and a new animated intro sequence. bisquit created a LOT of customization options on how you want this game presented, including multiple language options (it originally began as a Finnish translation project).

Super Metroid Rotation Hack (Super Metroid)
Watch a speedrun of the hack here
There are a ton of Super Metroid hacks out there so apologies for limiting it to just this one, but it's still a pretty interesting concept. It's Super Metroid, except Zebes is now rotated 90 degrees. Get ready to do some fancy wall jumping.

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (Final Fantasy VII NES pirate)

Final Fantasy VII? On my NES? Chinese pirate company Shenzhen Nanjing Technology did their own "port" of the game to NES around 2006, but it used off-model character portraits. was filled with bugs, and just wasn't really any fun. Over the years there were some fan translations and improvement hacks, which culminated in this one here including all-new graphics, music, balanced play mechanics, and more.

Holiday Hex / Hallow's End (EarthBound)

There is a thriving EarthBound rom hacking community (it is where Toby Fox got his start before Undertale), but I wanted to focus on two similar, charming little holiday themed hacks: the Halloween-ish Hallow's End and the wintery Holiday hex. Both feature original characters and enjoyable little stories that almost feel like EarthBound DLC. The main rom hacker of Hallow's End is currently overseeing a hack that turns EarthBound into its NES predecessor, Mother (aka Earthbound Beginnings).

Super Metroid
Some games have very large rom hacking devotees, with the two biggest I can think of being Super Mario World and Super Metroid. For the Super Metroid side of things, I'll let FPzero take it away:

FPzero posted:

Now this is a thread I can get behind. I love romhacks and they basically make up the majority of what I play these days. I've got a few different hacks to mention so I'll probably make a couple of posts to give hacks from different games some space.

I was very involved in the Super Metroid community for a while and still try to keep up to date with the projects going on over at Metroid Construction. So here's a small selection of some of the better or more notable ones the community has produced:

Super Metroid Redesign: Axeil Edition: This one's notable for being one of the first Super Metroid romhacks out there, originally releasing back in 2006 I believe. The "Axeil Edition" was an update made to the game almost a decade later to turn it into a definitive edition of sorts. It's named after SA forums poster, Axeil, who did an LP of the original version years and years ago and even had the creator on the LP at points to talk about the game and help him get through Maridia.
The game makes Zebes much larger, changes the physics, adds a couple new powerups, drastically changes the minimap visual design, adds a hint system and more.
Personally, I don't like this hack as much anymore because I think some better ones have come out since, even with the update made to it. it's also quite challenging at times so be forewarned. But it's still good and a very notable hack that's worth experiencing once.

Hyper Metroid: This is a really fun hack made a few years back that builds upon the "Project Base" base rom hack that was released for people to begin making hacks with, and turns it into a stellar display of design, custom graphics, and engaging action. The world is completely new, your jumping ability is much stronger, you can recharge speed booster like in the GBA games, the boss fights all have modified patterns of attack and it's very speedrunable and can be sequence-broken in a variety of ways.
I really like this one. It's fast-paced, very pretty, and lots of fun. One downside is there is a key-hunt of sorts towards the end to get into Tourian, but you start unlocking it from the beginning of the game and I think there's a way around it if you know where to look? Difficulty is slightly higher than the original game, but nothing an experienced SM player shouldn't be able to handle.

Eris (2012): Eris is one of the most unique hacks I've played because of how it's constructed. The whole game takes place on one tightly compressed "world" map and looks truly alien as hacks go. Odd visual design is the name of the game here, and Eris delivers in spades, showing a ruined Chozo civilization on a frozen planet, depicted in high detail using comprehensive graphics layering techniques. You won't find a hack that looks anything like this elsewhere. Despite being small in physical size, the game is dense enough that you'll be exploring every nook and cranny to find items and artifacts to open the end of the game.
Difficulty gets a little high on this one and I wouldn't recommend trying to 100% it, but it is absolutely worth playing through to see the extent of the visual design.

------

Lastly, one that's in development. X-Fusion appears to be a re-imagining of Fusion done in the Super Metroid engine, complete with Fusion's bosses, the X-parasites, the SA-X and a host of new abilities, bosses and landscapes to traverse. We don't know much about the hack proper yet because literal years of work were done getting all the backend stuff like changed Samus sprites and hitboxes, bosses, HUD, and more were done first. Now that those are mostly done, the hack's true design is starting proper. A playlist of videos showcasing bosses and the text engine can be found here. Definitely follow this one because it looks like it'll be insane.
And if you're worried that the hack will be all show and no good design, don't worry. The hacker put out another hack years ago called Z-Factor that's extremely well designed overall and also one of my highly recommended ones.

------
There's a ton of other Super Metroid hacks out there and if you want to browse ones that I haven't talked about here, you can find them all on Metroid Construction's Hack List. There are also romhacks for Metroid 1, Zero Mission, and Fusion in this list too but I don't really have experience with those and the GBA hacks are in that early romhacking stage where most stuff coming out for them aren't very good while also being really hard.

Zelda 64: Dawn and Dusk (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

So this is pretty impressive: a Zelda 64 rom hack/mod that utilizes the Japanese-only 64DD expansion drive! If you have one of these things, you can put this on a disk and (along with a Zelda 64 cart) slap it in and play it on original hardware. Of course if you're like 99% of the gaming public, you don't possess a 64DD. In which case, a regular rom hack version is also available that can work in emulators or the Everdrive 64. Did I mention this is an all-new Zelda adventure with new quests and dungeons?

Chrono Trigger Plus (Chrono Trigger)

Chrono Trigger Plus adds some new exploratory elements such as visiting Zeal in 1999, a new dungeon in 2300 AD using the previously unused Coliseum, and perhaps most importantly, giving Crono's mom her own bedroom. It's a pretty innovative remix project of the original. It's been out for a while, but I wanted to wait for the version 2.0 overhaul release before featuring it here.

Oh and hey, did y'all know we have goon rom hackers? I'll let FPzero take it away yet again:

FPzero posted:

If I can shill myself for a moment, me and my team have just released a new demo of the Fire Emblem Sacred Stones romhack we've been working on for years.

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/1204234319650328576

It features 12 chapters, a completely new plot with original characters, new maps, animations, character classes and magic spells, an overhauled text engine, and more, while also still retaining a very familiar feeling to the original game it's based on. And we also made sure to keep the standard difficulty about on par with the GBA games, so you don't have to be super experienced with Fire Emblem to enjoy it. Hopefully someone here will appreciate our work! Thanks for checking it out.

And speaking of goon hackers...

EarthBound: MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey (EarthBound)
https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1162157312477487109
Oh what's that? Am I promoting my own vanity project in this thread? You're goddamned right I am. This hack replaces the soundtrack to EarthBound with instrumental hip hop beats. I curated the songs and chose music I felt matched the vibe of the game. The above tweet has a preview video of the first 15 minutes or so of the game, to give you an idea of what to expect. I also added a run button, which I cannot stress how much it improves the QoL of this game.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 12, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Want to take a stab at hacking roms yourself, eh? How easy or hard it is can all be dependent on what it is you want to do, but also just how the original base game is coded. Some games use compression routines which makes hacking them extremely difficult without some knowledge of assembler. On the other hand, if you want to turn Mario's head into a butt and make a rom hack of Super Mario Bros. called "Super Butt Bros." you can probably knock it out in an afternoon. Although without googling, I'm pretty confident in saying someone's already beaten you to the punch on it.

In previous retro gaming threads, there were a few effort posts on how to hack roms, so without further ado:

Heran Bago posted:

Hi welcome to my ROM hacking companion effortpost. Sorry to beat you to the chase univbee, I couldn't resist. :v: Today we will be talking about what is numbers, how to draw a dick on your NES sprites, and how to play as your very own fan character recolor!

If you are just here to see a tour of the process then grab some food and scroll quickly through this numbers stuff. If you want to hack along with this post you should! You will need some tools though:
- Windows or a Windows Tiny XP virtual machine.
- A tile editor. Tile Layer Pro is a popular choice but it has a lot of limitations. Tile Molester is also popular and has many options but runs in Java and is gross and clunky as a result.
- An NES emulator with a PPU viewer. I recommend an entry in the FCEU series like FCEUXD-SP

An introduction to hex
Humans grew up with ten fingers and in our decimal number system there are ten numbers from 1 to 10. But what if it were different? :catdrugs: What if we were counting in binary and there were only two numbers from 1 to 10? The 10 in binary is the same as our 2.
So with hexadecimal there are 16 numbers from 1 to 10. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then it needs a new character which is A. This is followed by B, C, D, E, and then F which is the highest single-digit “number” in hexadecimal, even though it’s our 15. The highest two-digit hexadecimal number is FF or 255, which might sound familiar to you.
When software is compiled from its source it becomes a heap of data and machine code instructions in big piles of binary numbers called files. A ROM is a game’s read-only memory backed up to a file.

There are a myriad of reasons why we choose to view the 1s and 0s as hex instead of binary or decimal. It’s practical, comfortable, and more in tune with the spacing and storage of the way this stuff really is than decimal. You’re going to see a lot of hexadecimal, get used to it!

It’s common to put a $ sign or a 0x in front of a hexadecimal number. From now on if a number is in hexadecimal format I will put 0x in front of it so if you see 0x10 then it’s our 16. 0xA is our 10, 0xF is our 15, 0x9 is 9 in decimal.

Palettes and the pretty colors.

A palette is this thing an artist holds:

Now imagine that the graphics chip is holding this block of numbers that is pretty much that; the colors it uses to draw the graphics on screen according to the number of each graphic tile. We’ll get to graphics tiles (but not their numbers) later. Palettes are just an easily searchable and editable strip of hexadecimal numbers that the system will interpret as colors.

For the purpose of this guide I’m going to focus on NES. NES is an easy place to start because of its limited and easy to find palettes. Here is a chart from an old guide of every color the NES is capable of and its numeric value:

The exact steps I’m going to go through won’t work for every NES game. It’ll work for most though.

First back up your ROM and open it up in FCEUGX9x_64 or whatever. Explore the menus and open up the PPU viewer and the Hex Editor. In the Hex Editor note that you can view the NES memory, PPU memory, or the ROM. You are interested in all of these. You can also load a .tbl file which you might remember from univbee’s post

In the PPU viewer you can hover over the colors and it will tell you what it is. Somewhere in here are the colors of the thing that you want to change the colors of. I want to change the colors of the main character. Usually it’s just in the PPU viewer once but I see it here twice, no matter!

Using the built-in hex editor we can change the values that represent the colors in the PPU or in the RAM to see how the recolor looks in real time. When I’m satisfied I can change the same values in the ROM data and just save the ROM like that. All within the emulator!

In the screenshot above my ‘cursor’ is hovering over a nice fleshy pink with a value of 0x25.
The three colors together that comprise the character and appear twice for some reason are 0x2A, 0x26, and 0x30. Together that's 0x2A2630.
If we do a search for this number in the hex editor looking at the PPU it comes up quite a lot. Changing the first instance to numbers hand-picked from the chart above doesn’t do anything. Looking at the PPU viewer shows it had an effect so maybe it changed the color of bubbles or item pickups or something. Changing the second instance yields the expected results though.

Any changes to the PPU in this are temporary. Change the view in the hex editor to ROM and see if the same colors turn up. As long as I search without a black on either end I seem to find this palette eight times in the whole ROM. The prudent way to determine the correct one would be trial and error. But right now I only care about getting a ROM where I play as the red bubble bobble so I changed all eight.

And that’s a wrap! Time to hit the colored pencils and take deviantART by storm with your Original Character. Or maybe writing is more your thing?

Graphics and Tiles

But you take your Bubble Bobble fannon very seriously and your fan character is usually in his human form but can still shoot bubbles like a dragon. So you’re going to replace his graphics as well as his colors.

Many sprites in games that need to be loaded quickly are uncompressed. This makes them really structured and accessible usually. Open Super Mario Brothers in Tile Layer Pro. Look at how the graphics are structured and familiarize yourself with the tools to draw a wang on a character.

So I opened Tile Layer Pro and opened three files: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and a blank “clip board” file full of 0x00s. you can make something like this by copying black squares in a junk ROM in TLP. Anyway in both game ROMs I scrolled through until I found the art (- and = keys to bit-adjust) which like most NES games was not compressed. The sprites are stored a little different in the two games but it’ll work out. The first step is to piece both together in the clipboard ROM. This may sound or look intimidating but it’s just a lot of click and drag.

So the sprites are the same size. I could start putting the new tiles from the clip board on the appropriate spots in the Bubble Bobble ROM but because they are facing opposite directions by default his sprites would be backwards all the time. So I have to flip those Rainbow Island sprites horizontally.

Then it’s a simple matter of tastefully replacing the original ROM’s graphics.

And then to test it.

Huh that’s weird. Looking through the ROM’s graphics there are more sprites for the main characters. Looks like we changed a set of unused graphics!

That’s more like it. But it still needs some tweaking.

There! Original Character do not steal! After moving around a little art that I didn’t get quite right it’s functional. Just think of the 16x16 sprites you could swap.

For reference, here is an end result of the ROM.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0BSJQD26/

And that’s basic graphics editing on NES. The premise is surprisingly similar on SMS, Genesis, SNES, and even GBA.

univbee posted:

Hmmm, this post turned out a bit jankier than I was hoping, but gently caress it, I have power and should post it while I still do:

Translating Famicom games for fun and profit* using one weird old trick.

* - No actual profit

As some of you might now, about a year and a half ago, I did a ROMhack of Super Monkey Daibouken, a game so bad no one had translated it before, and was prominently featured in a weekly special on Game Center CX where users could phone in to tell Arino what to do (because the game is terrible and makes no sense). I had dabbled a bit in this kind of ROMhacking in the past (for putting English games into French), but usually discovered pretty quickly that there was a far more competent team that had either already done the translation I was aiming for or was well under way. Fortunately, some of the skills I picked up ended up playing out nicely for this game, which is a dead simple (and dead terrible) game, and it only took me about 2 hours to get the proof-of-concept in place (i.e. prove that I had the technical skills to do it before I bugged other people to help me with it). This is pretty basic stuff and, while it's geared towards the NES and Famicom, the same principles will apply to any console whose font you can tamper with (which is the key to this whole technique). Note that this is just tip-of-the-iceburg; most games have really weird programming fuckery going on for specific things so this is not going to be a complete set of instructions, but will get you off to an excellent start. The fact that this gets you as far as it does means you will be encouraged to figure out the last bits and pieces needed to really make things work out for you, at least I hope it will.

There are almost certainly more straightforward ways of doing it but they are likely console-specific and/or require more in-depth technical knowledge. My method, while long and tedious at parts, is 90% a logic trick and 10% actual technical poo poo. If you ever meaningfully used a Hex editor (i.e. if you know what Hex is and how it applies to computers) you probably know enough "programming" to do this on a basic level. The technique will work as long as the following is true:

- You are able to modify the graphics used for the game's font (I'm pretty sure all translations need to do this anyway, so your translation is DOA if this can't be done). NES and SNES have tons of tools available that will let you do this, you might run into trouble if you're trying to translate a CD-I game or something. If you can't do this but the game has a valid A-Z English character table and uses English somewhere, you might be able to get it working by searching for that string.
- The game doesn't make excessive use of Kanji (you should be fine for any Hiragana/Katakana-only game, and it wasn't until something like Final Fantasy V or VI that Kanji started really being used extensively for regular game text on the SNES). Most of these steps should still be applicable but there will be additional challenges for the hex tables that I'm not familiar with, you might need a Hex editor that supports tables and will actually handle Unicode characters (anyone know a free one that does this?)
- The game's text isn't employing compression or encryption. This was the big reason why Seiken Densetsu 3's English patch took as long as it did, and why Ace Attorney Investigations 2 had similar issues (the game is also tamper-protected, which doesn't help). I don't think any NES/Famicom games use it, and even on SNES it's very rare due to the processing costs involved.

You should be able to get a reasonably complete Japanese script dump of your game within about an hour following these steps, if all works well, regardless of how much text there is.

At this point if you need help from others (graphics and translators) you have enough to prove that this is an achievable goal at this stage, and make some magic happen.

Now before taking on a project like this, a good first step is to actually search online, because someone else may have already already beaten you to the punch, or at least tampered with the game; even an incomplete translation patch (or a blog of someone's progress) can give huge insight into how the game works. This is especially relevant if you're doing a project with a common game, like translating Final Fantasy IV into Urdu or something. You may also want to get a filelist for a goodmerged set of GoodNES-approved ROMs (or equivalent for your console), since they group different languages of games together and you can find out if someone ever translated your game or not pretty quickly that way. Different versions of the same game, even if you don't understand the language, can be immensely helpful to compare/contrast with the Japanese version to figure out what's different.

The first part of this is geared towards Japanese games for which no documentation exists and you basically have nothing but a Hex editor and some hutzpah. You aren't able to wrap your head around pointer, analyzing RAM, that kind of stuff. This is for you.

Now, as Heran Bago so eloquently explained earlier, NES game graphics consist of 8x8 squares called tiles, with larger objects simply consisting of multiple tiles. Likewise, the font used by the game is also generally handled this way*, with each character being an 8x8 square. The game itself simply pulls the relevant characters whenever the text shows up, exactly like your computer does :v:. This fact is what we're exploiting, by replacing the game's Japanese characters with English ones. We're going to find where the game gets its text data from in a less technical roundabout way, and doing this is the first step.

* - some languages with complex characters like Chinese will sometimes have each character consist of 4 tiles (2x2) to not lose important detail but that's a whole other story.

Things you will need:
- A good Hex editor. Finding ones that are good but free is hard, and paid Hex editors are surprisingly expensive (like $100). You may have to juggle 2 or 3 good free ones that each have unique features. You will need at least one with differential search capability, and one with support for custom tables. Fortunately, WindHex is free and fits both of these needs nicely and is what I'll be using, another Hex Editor called Translhextion could be good for some purposes too.
- An NES/Famicom tile editor. This is pretty much the only console-specific tool you really need, though.
- If you yourself aren't the one translating the game, you will at least need a rudimentary understanding about how the Japanese alphabet works, especially as it applies to computers (i.e. at least know how to TYPE the language, and some of the gotchas like that あ and ぁ aren't the same thing, how ten-ten work etc.). If you don't it would help if the translator is reachable, you'll probably need help from them. The more Japanese you know, the easier this will be, but it's not strictly required for getting at least some of the script dumped.

Open the Japanese ROM in an emulator, watch the game's intro and start a new game, taking screenshots every time text shows up on screen. Once you have a few screens' worth of text you're probably OK to at least get started. Here's the first big wad of text in the game, that you see when you pick "NEW GAME" at the beginning.

Open the original Japanese game ROM in the tile editor. Scroll around until you find the font used by the game.

Now a lot of Hex editors can't handle Japanese text very well, so for finding the table values I'm going to employ my "weird old trick", which consists of the following steps:

- Overwrite the Japanese text using the letters A-Z (either all uppercase or all lowercase); to make this super-quick, I dragged the existing letters that were in the ROM already, but if needed you can open another ROM, like the English Dragon Warrior, and drag the fonts out of there.

Now save your ROM and open your newly completely-hosed ROM, get back to the screen you were at earlier. It will now look like this messy thing:

Believe it or not, this fits perfectly into what we're trying to do. Now we're going to employ what's known as Relative Search. What this does is make the first character into a wildcard, and every subsequent character is searched for based on its difference with the first character, so if you did a search for "ABCE", it would do a search for "x,x+1,x+2,x+4" and would return any string it found that fits the pattern (so it would pull up 0124, BCDF etc.). You may have to search for a smallish string with little difference between them, but you will want something long so it only finds one value in the ROM (you know you're in the right place then). This is also why it's important to put characters into the ROM in the same order as a vanilla ASCII table; differential search only works if this is the case.

AUPZ is four characters long, and when we search for that...

gently caress yeah. This tells us two things:

- We've reduced the possible locations for the text I'm interested in to just 5.
- All 5 of these work if A is equal to 0x80, so it's looking like that's what it is.

Just to make sure let's build a table. Right-click any of the five listings and select "create table with selected values", you will have to erase most of it because it will presume there are ASCII-order characters surrounding A-Z.

Now we had 5 possibilities, let's dig around and see if we can find the text. There should be a B and an F with one character separating them just shortly before the AUPZ value, and a while after is S M L close to each-other. No luck with the first location or the second, let's look at the third...

Boom. This is unquestionably it. And from this, we can start figuring out the mysteries of the font table the game uses:

0x00 is what the game uses for a space (it's immediately before and after AUPZ, which is an empty space in the screenshot)
0x76 is what the game uses for the Japanese ten-ten, so all characters using it take up two spaces (you can visually tell if you look at the Japanese text)
0xF0 is what the game uses for a line break; we have to be careful with these since moving them around can make text go off-screen or even crash your game!
The Katakana テ is at 0x52 so I can extrapolate to get the rest of it by referring to the order in which the letters show up in the tile editor.

So now you can start building a Japanese table. Windhex is kind of wonky to do it because it won't let you straight type Japanese, but it'll let you pick the letters from the Unicode table.

Once you are done building your table you can load it, you will have to select "view text data as unicode" for the japanese to show up right. This isn't complete but this is how it starts looking:

Now start looking through the ROM and figure out where text begins and ends. Knowing Japanese will help because it'll be easier to spot nonsense patterns that aren't actually meant to be interpreted text, and figure out where text starts and finishes. You can then dump the text, although it will dump in ANSI-but-Shift-JIS format; open the file with something like Notepad++, force it to Shift-JIS encoding:

I made a few mistakes so at this point I would go back and adjust my table until things came out the way I wanted.

Super Monkey only had 34 lines so I just rewrote the English text straight in the Hex Editor, and you can too if there isn't more text for the game than you have patience for (go edit\Hex-Text edit mode). I'm not familiar with these programs yet, but Atlas and Cartographer look to be command-line "dump text, insert text into ROM" programs that can handle pointers and line breaks and the like intelligently, and are probably something you would want to figure out if you intend to do a major RPG translation.

You now have to figure out how many characters each line of text allows for you, this includes spaces since they're characters too. You will very quickly discover that this isn't a hell of a lot and making your characters not sound like cavemen will be a miracle. This is also why Japanese got story-rich games long before we did; 2-4 megabytes is workable for Japanese text but severely limiting for English. For example, this line "よるは きけんた゛" ("It's dangerous at night.") in Super Monkey is 11 characters long in Japanese (that literal English version earlier is 26). We ended up with BEWARE DARK.

To actually insert English, you redraw the characters into English ones (if the Japanese game doesn't already support English characters) and build a new table file where you replace your Japanese values table with the corresponding English characters you replace using the tile editor. Then you can straight type. (but don't overwrite the line breaks)

If you really, really want to cram in a fuller, richer translation, you will need some considerable skill to modify and relocate pointers, and likely expand the game's ROM (which could complicate things if you later want to make an actual repro cart of the translated game). Having said that, even if you do this you may yet run into situations where there just isn't enough room for all text (the game may have a strict limit on the number of text boxes in certain situations and you will have to shrink those). Something will almost certainly have to give.

You can then use Heran Bago's guide and the tile editor to modify the title screen (this, ironically, took 3 times longer to do than the entire game's text from the time I first started investigating Super Monkey) and other things that you might want to adjust (Super Monkey has Kanji for Day and Night used in the status bar, for example).

Bonus info: some gotchas

Because the Japanese ten-ten comes out separate this means what you're writing isn't, from a machine standpoint, Japanese. It's like if instead of "Nintendo" I have "|\|intendo." This is pretty subtle and shouldn't be an issue to any Japanese person, but if you're doing something like plugging words into an online translator (please don't do your translations this way and cause All Your Base 2.0) it won't know what the hell it is.

Note that a lot of games will spread their text around in different parts of the ROM depending on what they're doing. Odds are good the game's text is in one location, monster names in another, item names in another (and their descriptions if that's something that shows when you highlight the item), and probably some other malarkey based on how the game does stuff (e.g. you know how Final Fantasy VI has in-battle text along the top (e.g. most of Ultros' text)? That's in a specific place. You know how some fights have text show up along the BOTTOM (e.g. Kefka's "wait, do I look like a waiter?" line) that's in another place. Both of these are separate from the game's main text. If the game is an RPG with a lot of text, you may need someone familiar with Japanese and the game (e.g. recently gave it a thorough playthrough) to make sense out of some stuff like odd item/monster names (not even for translating, but recognizing them when jumping around in the ROM).

An actual final translation for something non-basic will for-sure require multiple passes. You will always find wonky poo poo you missed, and learn tons about how the game is put together.

For example, just to show you how games do weird things on their own sometimes, let's look at the original character set again:

Notice how there's extra text at the end there. If you don't know Japanese, that says stuff like "Item," "Magic," so it looks like some of the battle menu pulls its text from here and NOT from the regular table. Good news: This probably means you can just re-draw this so the English matches. Bad news: this could limit the space you have to write something in (e.g. have to fit 2-3 letters in a single 8x8 tile or start aggressively abbreviating)

Also, I didn't show this earlier, take a look at the game's intro screen:

Kanji? In my NES game's table? Digging further in the tile editor, I found this:

tl;dr

- Replace Japanese font with English letters A-Z, noting which Japanese characters you're replacing with which letters.
- Run modified ROM, write down first garbled text strings.
- Do a differential search with a Hex editor for parts of the string you copied, locate where game text is stored.
- Find out which hex value is your text break, space, other special characters.
- Create table.
- Dump text, convert using Notepad++ or other editor that lets you force Shift-JIS.

Popular Tools
A lot of games have their own custom built tools (Sonic, Earthbound, etc.), but here are couple of universal editors that can help the beginning rom hacker:

- Tile Layer Pro to view/edit graphics
- WindHex32 is a free hex editor that allows you to create table files to view or edit text in a game
- Lunar IPS allows you to create and use IPS patches. Really essential just to play most of these rom hacks, even if you're not a hacker yourself.
- beat is another patching program, if you find that you have a .bps patch instead of a .ips patch.

On that note, let's end things with a little trip down the rabbit hole that is GoodTools.

If you've been collected roms and hacks over the years, you may have encountered fully curated sets of roms. Today's standard is probably No-Intro but back in the day (talking like, early 2000s) there were GoodTools which would have rom sets for GoodNES, GoodSNES, etc. If I may once again quote univbee:

univbee posted:

Yeah, the whole point of the GoodTools was just to have a checksum database of what ROMs were out there on random Geocities and Angelfire websites with basic names like ff3.smc because "filenames with more than 8 characters" was still a new concept not everyone's computer had access to yet. Bad dumps were rampant, along with the fact that there were a ton of modified ROMs for the purpose of things like working on actual copier hardware (mapper hacks on NES and the like), so having a tool where you could throw in poorly named files you grabbed and checked that they were actually what they were meant to be was useful. Of course, brainworms gonna brainworm, so people started collecting 'em all, especially once 7zip compression established that it didn't really meaningfully increase the size of a full ROM collection if you had all the bad hacks and bad dumps or not.

GoodTools had its own naming architecture to categorize roms by country, good/bad dump, hack, etc. This once-common info is now hard to come by these days so if you need a guide in the year of our lord 202X, look no further:

univbee posted:

OK here we go, I found the data I was looking for. This is the official system used in Cowering's GoodTools, other systems like TOSEC and No-Intro sometimes borrowed these or had similar stuff going on.

The system tries to be as much of a catch-all as it can be, but there are always weird edge cases for certain specific games that don't fit neatly for some reason. Also because of the sheer volume of these and the guess work some of the analysis involves, as mentioned earlier some stuff got mistagged.

Also it's important to put this tool into a historical context, because this came about in the late 90s when ROMs were increasing in popularity online but there weren't reliable ways of confirming you were getting what the Angelfire/Geocities page said you were getting. Tons of stuff was mislabeled, broken, modified to work with copier hardware/primitive emulators, and it was quite onerous to get your hands on known good versions of certain titles especially if you were hunting for something specific, like Final Fantasy III had two different versions on SNES (one with the Relm Sketch bug and one where it was fixed) and people would want one version or the other for different reasons, but most websites would only have one copy without specifying which. Also, this was an era when DOS and Windows 3.1 were still in common usage and long filenames weren't yet standard. So the GoodTools came about, which would run a checksum algorithm on ROM files and match them to an internal database. It was never really intended as a "collect 'em all" tool, but since it generated "you are missing these ROMs" text lists people started trying to find everything, even the known bad dumps. So some people prefer stricter sets like the "No Intro" or "Redump" sets, but these have the disadvantage of only having unmodified game ROMs and, well, sometimes the fan translations or hacks are a thing you want.

The tools' naming convention is specifically designed so simple commandline tools (and the GoodTools themselves) can make an easy set of subfolders and move everything into the right place using simple wildcards (e.g. for DOS users, "move *[b* C:\ROMs\baddumps" would move all bad dumps to that folder), usually in a sensible hierarchy (e.g. start by banishing all bad and overdumps into respective purgatory subfolders, and then sort the leftovers similarly until all you have left are untarnished good ROM dumps that then get moved into folders and subfolders based on region etc.)

The most significant information about the game itself was generally in traditional round parentheses ( ), with information more specific to the ROM being in square brackets [ ]

In round parentheses you most commonly had the region of the game. Usually you'd have (U) for USA, (J) for Japan and (E) for Europe, with some other regions depending on what countries had specific distributions like (F) is a France version of a game and likely in French, (G) for Germany/German etc.

Some games have a "universal" ROM (the cartridge distributed in most regions has the same ROM data), like early NES games like Super Mario Bros., and have (W) for "World". Some games do a "Japan and US have the same ROM since they're both NTSC but Europe has a separate ROM since it's PAL" thing, like Super Metroid, which get (NTSC) or something like (JU) or (UE) by combining region letters.

(VC) means Virtual Console (Wii/WiiU/3DS versions of NES games), which usually have some form of update (new copyright date, possibly some small code edits to reduce flashing effects or remove trademark stuff, like StarTropics changes yoyo to "star").

You would also have (Unl) for Unlicensed games, usually this denotes things like games made without the Nintendo seal of quality (e.g. Tengen games on NES like their version of Tetris that had a 2-player mode). These are usually different from a pirated version of a game with an official release (e.g. a bootleg 60-pin cart of "Mario Baby" that's actually Konami's Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa!), which is denoted differently (see the square brackets section further down).

You'd also generally have a version number denotation for games where that's a thing. Some systems do this a bit weirdly, like for NES ROMs it's (PRG0) for the launch version of a game and (PRG1), (PRG2) etc. for later revisions.

Finally, some games will have (M3), (M5) or similar. The M is for Multilanguage, and the number denotes how many languages the game is playable in through some in-game language choice function. This is most common on European game ROMs of post-NES systems, with M5 being the most common and usually meaning English, French, Spanish, German and Italian.

Those are all the general ones, some systems have custom ones due to a specific thing unique to that system, like (BS) with SNES ROMs for Broadcast Satellite games, and (NP) for Nintendo Power of Japan games.

And now for the square bracket stuff, which is where things get messy.

[a?] means "Alternate", and is basically "two or more different versions of this game/ROM exist but there isn't a clear versioning happening". Sometimes there can be bug fixes or things like blocking certain Game Genie codes from working, or it could be some weird nuance with manufacturing (e.g. different print runs used different chips that resulted in a slightly different ROM but the game itself is unchanged).

[p?] means "Pirate", this is a dump of a bootleg cart of a game that's officially available separately. If you played a "Mario Baby" cart this would be one of these, along with other 60-pin favorites like Super Mario Bros. 3 carts from before the US release.

[b?] means "bad dump". This is a corrupted copy of a game ROM, either because the ROM dump itself was hosed (bad cartridge connector) or because the file was once good but got corrupted because it was punted around in 1997 and broke during an FTP or IRC download. Usually useless and discardable, unless it's mislabeled.

[o?] means "overdump". This is usually a good ROM, except the ROM file itself is larger than it should be, with empty padding data. Some older cartridge copiers needed you to manually specify a ROM's size for the copy job, or wouldn't detect it correctly, or the ROM was deliberately copied that way to have a clean layout for a finnicky copier device that only handled specific sizes. Useless generally unless you need a padded ROM for some reason (which you can generally generate with a tool from a good ROM copy anyway).

[f?] means "fixed". What this generally means is that the game ROM was altered in some fashion, not for changes to how it plays to the end user or anything like that, it should still be the original experience, but something was done to the ROM so it would work properly in a lovely emulator or copier device. Most commonly, you had some fuckery on the NES for messing with mappers, or stuff to circumvent copy protection algorithms or do NTSC->PAL compatibility changes, but you also had games that relied on some really weird nuance of how the console hardware worked (e.g. a Speedy Gonzales game on SNES relies on a certain hardware function misfiring, and if your emulator doesn't account for this the game softlocks, however [f] versions of the ROM exist for this that fix this functionality)

[t?] with a lowercase T means "trained", which means some Game Genie-esque custom menu or function was permanently hacked into the ROM. Most commonly there'd be an extra menu like an arcade cabinet's service menu with options letting you enable/disable cheats or alter how many lives/continues you have, things like that.

[T-Eng] and [T+Eng] with a captial T denote fan-made language translation patches for games (English translation patches in this case, T+Fre for French etc.) The ones with a dash are old versions of a patch, the ones with a + are the newest (as of that ROM set) version of that particular fan translation (so there might be multiple T+Eng ROMs for the same game, but from different translation groups). Generally no point in keeping any T- ROMs.

[h?] means "hack". This is where you find all the level/nude mods. This is a wide category since it can include really simple "change Mario's name to Penis in SMB1" changes, basic "quality of life" improvements or simple bugfixes, and also far more elaborate "total conversion"-type hacks. For games which have a LOT of hacks like Super Mario World, there is usually a further naming convention so they can get grouped together in a subfolder without stifling visibility of other hacks.

[!] means "someone who knows their poo poo confirmed this is an unmodified copy of the original game ROM".

So on PCs if you're running the GoodTools themselves directly, you have commandline switches that let you sort ROMs into a folder structure. This is handy because it delineates them in a way that lets you have a custom "complete" collection while getting rid of cruft you know you'll never need, e.g. you can keep only the USA and Japan folders and bin the rest, or only keep the T+Eng files but bin all other T+ and T- ROMs, stuff like that. Usually you run a command like "goodsnes rename dirs" and it'll create this structure and move the ROMs into them from there using wildcard searches (e.g. *[b* goes into "Baddumps", *[o* goes into "Overdumps" etc.)

You can edit the file "goodinfo.cfg" and find your system in there to see the order of operations for how the ROMs get moved into different folders. This can also help you suss out what certain weird codes might be if they're system-specific or you're otherwise unfamiliar with them, as the folder name will be more than a few letters long. Some lines in goodinfo.cfg will have ;n at the end of the line, which just means the official ROM count and the "have" and "miss" text files the tool generates will exclude anything from this category you're missing. By default it assumes you give no fucks about bad and overdumps and won't report you which of those you're missing, however if you have some in your big pile of ROMs it'll still count them, rename them, move them etc.

And finally, certain system-specific tools have useful specific functions. One I still get good mileage out of is with GoodNES, specifically because on top of the "goodnes rename dirs" command to move the ROMs into normal subfolders, there are also the commands "goodnes rename dirsmd" and "goodnes rename dirsmh" which create folders based on which mapper the ROM uses (dirsmd is from Cowering's own db, and dirsmh is the old iNES standard), so you'll have folders "001", "002", "003" etc. This is useful for doing ROM collections for flash carts or other situations where you have a subset of mappers you know work and some that don't, because you can immediately delete the problem mappers for your situation and are then left only with ROMs you know work, which you can then run through goodnes again but this time with the normal "rename dirs" function to get a normal folder structure you can further trim.

The only thing I'll add to this already ponderous post is that what constitutes a ROM can be a bit finnicky in certain cases because there's more to the cart than just the ROM data chips themselves. Most famously, Pilotwings has two different official carts, although they are both 100% identical for ROM data, the only difference is the post-launch carts have an updated DSP1 chip which it turns out handles the math differently and causes one of the demos when you leave the game idle to crash (the plane) and crash (the SNES), but otherwise behaves essentially identically. So this is an edge case that isn't handled without getting really deep into things (like how near's Higan/Ares emulator wants actual dumps of the DSP chip as well so the game is handled "correctly"). Also region delineation gets weird, there were A and B NES systems in Europe for different countries that were deliberately incompatible with each-other but only had different console handshaking chips for this, so the A version and B version of a game that had different language packaging and wouldn't work on the same NES systems would still have the same "ROM" data.

Hopefully this wall of text is helpful.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 5, 2023

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is a pretty cool thread idea. Since Final Fantasy V is in the showcase for translation, I highly recommend this romhack that ports the excellent GBA script to the SNES.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rirse posted:

This is a pretty cool thread idea. Since Final Fantasy V is in the showcase for translation, I highly recommend this romhack that ports the excellent GBA script to the SNES.

Good point, that version might be the definitive rom hack/translation of Final Fantasy V.

Still, I have a strong sense of nostalgia for the original RPGe hack. It really was revolutionary for its time, as most other hacks around that time consisted of inserting Trent Reznor into Super Mario Bros. I myself ended up importing a copy of FFV for about $100 around 1996 (or to be precise, my parents did) and played it using a GameFAQs guide and a document that translated all major events in the game. Just a year or two later I was in front of my parents' PC playing a near-professional english translation. It was my official introduction into the world of video game emulation and rom hacking.

Kotaku recently one of the hackers of the game looking back on its significance, 20 years later. It really is amazing what it was they were able to accomplish on their own.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A look ahead at some projects coming down the pipeline. If you have any more you want featured, let me know and I'll add them here!

Chrono Trigger MSU (rom hacks, SNES)
This project not only allows for CD-quality audio in Chrono Trigger, but it also implements the FMV cutscenes found on the Playstation release of the game. Once the MSU project is released, it will also get implemented into the Chrono Trigger Plus hack (posted further up in the thread).

Video/Image Spotlight:
https://twitter.com/qwertymodo/status/1062110159554535425

Current Status:
Qwertymodo had to basically redo his coding from scratch about six months ago, but the new implementation is much cleaner and fixed a lot of previous issues. He's now tweaking the FMV videos (see above), including switching to using the high-res FMV versions found in the steam version of Chrono Trigger. It's currently in open beta testing.

For the Frog Bell Tolls DX (rom hack, Game Boy)
From the creator of Super Mario Land 2 DX, this is actually his main project, a Game Boy Color conversion of the action RPG "Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru," aka "For the Frog Bell Tolls." This game is best known as us the predecessor to Link's Awakening, using the same game engine and the game's main character even showing up in Link's Awakening as a cameo. A fan translation was made for it a few years ago, although it's not yet clear if it will be implemented into this hack.

Video/Image Spotlight:
Video: GBC vs. Game Boy comparison using real hardware

Current Status:
With Mario Land 2 DX done, he's gone back to working on this project, when time permits. His thread on RHDN is still active, but he did explain school/work has slowed things down, as they often do.

Ladystalker - The Apocalypse Engine (translation, SNES)
I want to give a special spotlight on the rom hacking group AGTP, which is in fact a single rom hacker, Gideon Zhi who over the course of nearly 20 years has released nearly 100 complete translations, with dozens more in various states of completion. His passion projects include translating the Super Robot Wars and Ys series, and he was an early forerunner of doing Shin Megami Tensei games (until the MegaTen community harassed him and shat all over him for being too slow in releasing one of the games so he quit all further MT projects, great job internet). Anyways I'm always excited to see what he's working on next, but rather than post a bunch of his different projects, I thought I'd highlight Ladystalker. It's a silly isometric RPG from the guys who did Landstalker on Genesis that is nearing completion but for various reasons "isn't a priority" at the moment.

Image Spotlight:

Current Status:
It's nearly complete and I was about to explain why Gideon isn't focusing on it right this minute, but I just looked over his site again and don't see the reason specifically listed... so rather than possibly letting the cat out of the bag by mistake, I'll just say that if everything pans out, the ultimate future of Ladystalker will be really exciting.

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (translation, PSX)
A quirky game that turns RPG conventions on its head. You get sucked into an RPG video game, Captain N style, where you find yourself cleaning up after the game's "hero," who has a habit of randomly walking into people's houses, stealing stuff from their treasure chests, murdering the local wildlife, etc. A project that's been in the works since 2011, I don't think it is with any official group, but the lead hacker is EsperKnight, an accomplished rom hacker who's been around since forever.

Image Spotlight:

Current Status:
Right as this game was going into beta, Nintendo announced an official translation of this game coming to Switch. That pretty much makes this project DOA. Kind of bittersweet, but hey, go play this game when it comes out on Switch in 2020!

Mother Remake (rom hack, SNES)
To quote the intro from its Starment.net forum post: "The Mother Remake aims to remake the first game in the Mother series using EarthBound’s engine. Originally started by Tomato in 2007, the project is now being continued by members of the Starmen.net forums, and is progressing smoothly."

Video/Image Spotlight: (videos may be extremely out of date at this point FYI)

Video: The Eight Melodies
Video: Gameplay demonstration

Current Status:
While the forum itself has been pretty quiet, progress updates get made pretty regularly in a Slack channel. A lot of the most recent work has been under-the-hood ASM modifications to things like leveling up, character stats, enemy behavior, etc. No ETA on completion, but it's literally been worked on for more than 10 years, so yeah, a lot of work has been done to it.

Final Fantasy VI-T Edition (rom hack, SNES)
An amazing rom hack of Final Fantasy VI... that is entirely in Japanese. If you don't know Japanese yourself, the best way to experience it is to watch a Lets Play of it done by Tomato (professional translator and Mother 3 translator) for an on-the-fly translation. The main FFVI game is mostly the same, but now has a TON of added content throughout that Tomato described as a "thoughtful celebration of Square Enix's legacy, wrapped up in one of the best ROM hacks ever created." New sidequests, new Espers, references to other Square games, new music, the ability to change your character's costumes, some of the GBA-only dungeons implemented, etc. This is an incredibly extensive work that can be appreciated, despite the language barrier.

Video/Image Spotlight:
Video: A Youtube playlist of Tomato's entire walkthrough
Video: Another playlist with new songs created for the game

Current Status:
I'm sure the big question on everyone's mind is: will this be getting translated? Unfortunately I'm not aware of any active projects right now, but the Japanese hack is still being worked on, with its most recent patch coming out over summer. I would imagine any English translation would probably wait until the original hacker declares he's pretty much done... which maybe he has because again, I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what he's saying on his website. I'm sure Tomato talks a good deal about the prospects of this on his livestream, but I haven't watched all 30 hours of it or whatever.

Shining Force III (translation, Sega Saturn)
Ooh, I just found out about this one. While Shining Force III did see an English release on Sega Saturn, it was actually just for the first of three scenarios. The other two scenarios were never released outside of Japan and the English game's ending was changed so that it wouldn't seem like you only played one-third of the game. A project is now underway to bring the second and third scenarios to an English audience, as well as redo the first scenario to bring it closer in line with the original Japanese game.

Video/Image Spotlight:
Video: I'm just linking to their page because they have a ton of different Let's Plays showing off various scenarios

Current Status:
With the latest patch from early December 2018, Scenario 1 is pretty much done, while most of Scenario 2 is in beta. Scenario 3 is playable, but still needs a lot of work done.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 20, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I played and beat Chrono Trigger Plus last year. It was good, but only thing I had problems with it was them boosting Lavos stats to be always be his Ocean Palace fight, which made fighting him a pain in the rear end. Not a bad idea in practice, but really made the first part really tough and then the two forms really easy.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
New thread, too Nintendo heavy, here's some non-nintendo stuff I know of, which isn't much:

Sega Master System
* Phantasy Star - proper translation (http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN). This is the version to play, or re-play. Honestly, I thought Noah was a chick when I was a kid- turns out his name is actually Lutz.

Sega Genesis
* King Colossus - Japanese to English translation (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/914/). Generally fun and pretty straight forward action adventure game with light RPG elements. Probably would've been pretty popular had it been released in the west.

Turbo Grafx 16
* Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - Japanese to English translation (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/). This translates text and voices to Englsh. Honestly I wish it it were just the text. This is based on the PSP port, they ripped the audio.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I like the idea of this thread too, maybe I'll actually get through my own playthrough of Live a Live someday. Surprised that the translation patch for Policenauts didn't get mentioned or are ISOs outside of the scope of the thread? And finally here's a 30 second video to remind us about the bad old days of terrible romhacks: Enjoy

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nothing may ever come of it, but once my current projects are out of the way, I've been considering what may be the most basement-tier hack ever.

Probably my favorite game in all of video games is Crystalis, the NES action-RPG. Recently, I got ahold of an Everdrive, which gave me the opportunity to play the only* actual hack of the game to be found---1998's Questionable Crystalis. The hack changes some elements of the palette (usually for the worse), puts in a few new enemy sprites (one or two of which are really quite good), and does some script revision. It was this last element which both intrigued me the most and let me down the most.

It appears that any serious attempt at rewriting the script stopped soon after the opening cutscene, and that the majority of the script changes were
a) changing most of the named characters' names [General Kelbesque becomes Captain Crackhead, which admittedly made me laugh, but renaming Karmine after a Final Fantasy boss? idgi]
b) inserting a slur in reference to the inhabitants of the village of Amazones, which you can probably figure out on your own
c) inserting a reference to South Park in the end sequence and altering the credits to include the hackers and their shout-outs
d) find-replacing the word "good" with the word "cool." They only did this with "good" and not "Good," however, so the character in the town of Joel whose dialogue becomes "Good, good, good." once you've beaten the boss in that area ends up saying "Good, cool, cool."

I am tempted to try and rewrite the whole of the script.

If it's a thing that's even possible to do (and the fact that QC as it exists came out shows that it should be possible), I want the whole thing to be jokes. I want to clean out the slurs, finish the job, and make the stupidest scripthack ever. It would obviously be difficult to keep it in the original ROM, because of the pre-determined text length, but that would be my aim.

The only real problem is that I've never done anything like this in my life, so it may be a pretty steep climb.

* okay, there's also Crystalis (Nude Hack) [o1].nes but that's almost certainly not even worth looking at.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 17, 2018

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been messing around with translations as part of my Saturn project and doing burned discs. The big ones have been Policenauts (contributed to by our very own slowbeef) and Shining Force 3. Pretty cool being able to run hacks on real hardware. Now I just need a translation patch for DBZ Shinbutoden.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If I had even the slightest knowledge of Japanese, I'd try seeing if a more accurate translation of the thing could be done---but I don't even know how far off the Japanese script the English one is.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Echophonic posted:

I've been messing around with translations as part of my Saturn project and doing burned discs. The big ones have been Policenauts (contributed to by our very own slowbeef) and Shining Force 3. Pretty cool being able to run hacks on real hardware. Now I just need a translation patch for DBZ Shinbutoden.

I didn't realise there were any final translations done of shining force 3? they only ever officially released part 1 in the west right?

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

hexwren posted:

If it's a thing that's even possible to do (and the fact that QC as it exists came out shows that it should be possible), I want the whole thing to be jokes. I want to clean out the slurs, finish the job, and make the stupidest scripthack ever. It would obviously be difficult to keep it in the original ROM, because of the pre-determined text length, but that would be my aim.

There was actually a recent translation patch for Crystalis which mentions that "This game was actually pretty easy to hack and I didn't have to do any super complicated hacks to remove all the limitations you usually face." You could probably take a look at that patch, and see how much extra script space was squeezed out as an example.

tithin posted:

I didn't realise there were any final translations done of shining force 3? they only ever officially released part 1 in the west right?

Yeah, only part 1 ever officially came out in English, with an ending to make it seem complete afaik. There's progress being made on the whole lot in general though over on their site though, and a new patch came out earlier this month even.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I found a pre-done set of V17 bin/cues, so those are what I was working with. Haven't burned Scenario 2 or 3 yet, might re-patch those myself before I burn those.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 17, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh cool, my janky hacking trick made the OP. This is also well timed since my brother is coming to visit next week and we generally gently caress around with ROMs played on a Wii on Christmas, just a weird semi-tradition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've got a half completed translation of a game I've made that nobody should be interested in except for the fact that it's the first game in an extremely long running series that has had no releases in the US. I'm on break for a few weeks so maybe I'll poke at it a bit more...

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Awesome thread! I'm gonna give Tengai Makyou Zero a shot first.

Also praying that one day Segagaga will get a translation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't wanna get this wrong, so I'll edit out my post if this junk breaks the rules, but did fans ever find a way to make the Super FX work decently on SNES emulation? I remember that being a stumbling block for a lot of emulators a long rear end time ago. Super Mario RPG worked okay until you got to the mole mine cart stuff.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Turbinosamente posted:

I like the idea of this thread too, maybe I'll actually get through my own playthrough of Live a Live someday. Surprised that the translation patch for Policenauts didn't get mentioned or are ISOs outside of the scope of the thread? And finally here's a 30 second video to remind us about the bad old days of terrible romhacks: Enjoy

Thanks! And my opening list is in no way comprehensive so by all means if there's a standout translation I failed to mention or recently came out, definitely bring it up and I'll try and keep those opening posts somewhat updated.

I'm very much stuck in the world of 8 and 16-bit games (mostly Nintendo related) so apologies for missing huge milestone projects like Policenauts. I'll get it added shortly.

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a half completed translation of a game I've made that nobody should be interested in except for the fact that it's the first game in an extremely long running series that has had no releases in the US. I'm on break for a few weeks so maybe I'll poke at it a bit more...

I am intrigued! I'm working on an MSU project myself, but I won't bother spamming the thread until it's actually halfway close to completion.

Shinjobi posted:

I don't wanna get this wrong, so I'll edit out my post if this junk breaks the rules, but did fans ever find a way to make the Super FX work decently on SNES emulation? I remember that being a stumbling block for a lot of emulators a long rear end time ago. Super Mario RPG worked okay until you got to the mole mine cart stuff.

Most modern SNES emulators can run SuperFX games just fine, and it recently became compatible on sd2snes. I recommend the latest versions of Snes9x or if you have a computer that can handle it, higan strives to be the most accurate SNES in existence. I don't think ZSNES has kept up the pace much these days.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ballz posted:

A look ahead at some projects coming down the pipeline. If you have any more you want featured, let me know and I'll add them here!

Final Fantasy VI-T Edition (rom hack, SNES)
An amazing rom hack of Final Fantasy VI... that is entirely in Japanese. If you don't know Japanese yourself, the best way to experience it is to watch a Lets Play of it done by Tomato (professional translator and Mother 3 translator) for an on-the-fly translation. The main FFVI game is mostly the same, but now has a TON of added content throughout that Tomato described as a "thoughtful celebration of Square Enix's legacy, wrapped up in one of the best ROM hacks ever created." New sidequests, new Espers, references to other Square games, new music, the ability to change your character's costumes, some of the GBA-only dungeons implemented, etc. This is an incredibly extensive work that can be appreciated, despite the language barrier.

Video/Image Spotlight:
Video: A Youtube playlist of Tomato's entire walkthrough
Video: Another playlist with new songs created for the game

Current Status:
I'm sure the big question on everyone's mind is: will this be getting translated? Unfortunately I'm not aware of any active projects right now, but the Japanese hack is still being worked on, with its most recent patch coming out over summer. I would imagine any English translation would probably wait until the original hacker declares he's pretty much done... which maybe he has because again, I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what he's saying on his website. I'm sure Tomato talks a good deal about the prospects of this on his livestream, but I haven't watched all 30 hours of it or whatever.

Hey, if you're going to showcase this one, why not the Romancing SaGa megahack that's been around for a few years? It's roughly the same in scope as this, but, y'know, it's SaGa-themed.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Victory Position posted:

Hey, if you're going to showcase this one, why not the Romancing SaGa megahack that's been around for a few years? It's roughly the same in scope as this, but, y'know, it's SaGa-themed.

I don't really know much about it, but I suspect Japan has gobs of amazing rom hacks that we never find out about because of the language barrier. Tomato's extensive playthrough of FFVI-T is the only reason I ever found out about that one.

I didn't add it to any of the OPs, but a translation for Majin Tensei II was just released, which I assume is being talked about over in the MegaTen thread. Currently I'm playing Gideon Zhi's 2002 translation of Shin Megami Tensei for the first time, so I'll probably get to this eventually.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 17, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ooh, I love the idea of this thread! And that's some very valuable info in the OP!

Ballz posted:

Most modern SNES emulators can run SuperFX games just fine, and it recently became compatible on sd2snes. I recommend the latest versions of Snes9x or if you have a computer that can handle it, higan strives to be the most accurate SNES in existence. I don't think ZSNES has kept up the pace much these days.

I don't think it's been really updated at all. ZSNES is a really outdated emulator, and is basically really hacked together compared to the other options you can go with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Please do not use ZSNES. It's basically dead and IIRC also has (or had) nasty security flaws nowadays that make running hacked code through it a pretty bad idea. Use bSNES/Higan if you've got a good computer, or SNES9x if you don't (or you're using a Raspberry Pi or something).

As for ROM Hacks, here's one collection I heard about a while back that people might find interesting: Un-Worked Designs, a collection of hacks to revert the hairbrained and stupid balance changes that Working Designs made to games they localised for the west. Doesn't do anything about the interesting localisation decisions, but nobody's perfect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
ZSNES is an abomination, but did its job during the early days of emulators. It should be a museum piece for being an oddity with its numerous graphical errors and stability issues, yet people still used it.

There have been some questionable translations for the old Dragon Ball games and the Legend of the Super Saiyajin game got a great translation a few years ago. The one fans know is almost 20 years old and terrible enough to be funny. I think Nintendo was going to release it in the US at some point, but after Dragon Power, there was little demand for the franchise. It had a lot of little details for a game with tons of empty space and few places of interest. You might be able to Body Switch your way through victory on the few boss fights you have left or have Oozaru Gohan in a boxing match with Oozaru Vegeta. The powered flight mode is a grinding mechanic and will set off encounters each step.
http://www.romhacking.net/games/286/

So excited for the Broly movie coming out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also worth mentioning: The Game Center CX 2 translation patch, which is brilliant and very professionally done. The bit where the game(s) itself is fantastic helps, too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
This loving rules thank you for making this thread

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Kins posted:

Please do not use ZSNES. It's basically dead and IIRC also has (or had) nasty security flaws nowadays that make running hacked code through it a pretty bad idea. Use bSNES/Higan if you've got a good computer, or SNES9x if you don't (or you're using a Raspberry Pi or something).

As for ROM Hacks, here's one collection I heard about a while back that people might find interesting: Un-Worked Designs, a collection of hacks to revert the hairbrained and stupid balance changes that Working Designs made to games they localised for the west. Doesn't do anything about the interesting localisation decisions, but nobody's perfect.

No one show Camel Pimp this link

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Scalding Coffee posted:

So excited for the Broly movie coming out.

In my sleep deprived state, I imagined a live action Goku portrayed by Adrien Brody

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Retro thread just turned me onto the translation of Tobal 2 on ps1 it’s awesome

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What an excellent thread. Here are somethings I want to mention.

The Sonic hacking community just had its annual contest. I forgot to submit my Kaizo Sonic 2 hack in time and I haven't seen the results, but the winners are usually high quality.
http://www.sonichacking.org/

After 4 years of work, the Ni No Kuni DS English translation is complete. It is a completely different game than the PS3 one, requiring a physical book of spells for reference when playing. Luckily a translated version of the book is included as a PDF.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/10/fan-english-translation-released-for-ni-no-kuni-ds/

After 16 years of work, the translation for Shin Megami Tensei If is finished.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3951/

Pokemon hacks (like Sonic and Mario) have their own huge community. Pokemon Crystal Clear is an open world hack that is honestly so feature-rich and incredible that I would recommend it over the original every time. The open-world aspect works really well. I can't directly link it, but I will say that if you wan the newest version, look for the project's Discord. Here is the choice of starters:

How about a guy who makes ROM hacks for a living? Kaze Emanuar has several complete Mario 64 hacks including Star World and Last Impact. While he specializes in Mario 64, he also releases hacks of other games. There is always something interesting happening on his youtube channel. Many people support him on Patreon or by commissioning ROM hacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJ5GiPIaNA

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 17, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For SNES, the Higan emulator gives you what is essentially perfect results on every game. byuu is insanely obsessive and has arranged to at least temporarily get his hands on originals of every single official SNES game cartridge to fully redump and scan them in an extremely detailed fashion (e.g. pictures of the PCB's, dumps of each chip individually etc.) You need a pretty powerful system for it (like a decent quad core) and actually using the emulator can be iffy. SNES9X is a pretty good compromise that works essentially perfectly for all but a single-digit number of obscure games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ballz posted:

I am intrigued! I'm working on an MSU project myself, but I won't bother spamming the thread until it's actually halfway close to completion.

It's the first Momotaru Dentetsu game for the Famicom. When I shelved working on it due to an extreme lack of free time, I had the menus done and was starting to work on the events.

For those not familiar with the series, originally there was Momotaru Densetsu which is a pretty generic Famicom RPG based on the Momotaru legend. But someone must have hit the wrong character once because they came up with the spin off Momotaru Dentetsu game which is all about Momotaru running a railroad and playing a pretty basic boardgame. For whatever reason, that was the game that became a breakout hit and there's 22 console games in the series. I actually thought it was dead since the series was by Hudson who got bought by Konami, but they made a new one a last year after a five year break.

As a board game it's not very good. Roam a map, get random events, and very little in the way of strategy. But it's an interesting game for historical reasons.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Victory Position posted:

That sounds like something I'd want to check out, do you remember the name of it?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Once in a while I remember that I still can't play Segagaga or Klonoa Heroes and it saddens me.

On the flip side, the Tokimeki Memorial Girls' Side games on Nintendo DS have fantastic translations. They are the best entries in the series and imo the best dating sims ever created. I think I'll give those a good post here in the coming days.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Since it looked like people were interested in the Shining Force 3 translation project, I recently updated my ISOs to V20.

The stuff on the translation site works just fine, but it needs to be in cue/iso format, not the more common (for Saturn, at least) bin/cue. I ended up having to download some extra apps to deal with the ripped files, since the patchers assume you're running it from a DVD drive. Figured it'd be helpful to expand on the translation project's process a bit.

Things you need:
  • Shining Force 3 in whatever episodes you want. This can be real discs or rips. Worth noting is you need the US or EU release of scenario 1 and JP for 2/3/Premium Disc.
  • The translation files and patcher, available here.
  • WinBin2Iso if you have bin/cue files. You probably have bin/cue files.
  • A virtual disc drive that can handle cue files. I used WinCDEmu and it worked just fine. My usual VirtualCloneDrive doesn't take cues.
  • Something to burn discs if you plan on playing on real hardware, the classic ImgBurn has worked well for me. I've had the best luck with burning at max speed.

The steps are pretty simple if you have actual discs. You just put each in a drive, run SF3TranslationPpatcher.exe from the download and it handles all the heavy lifting. It creates a bin/cue that you then burn. I think this'd work with burned unpatched discs, but haven't tried it to avoid wasting CD-Rs. This method also allows you to install a view mod that I haven't quite figured out yet and have no idea how it works on real hardware.

For the download users among us, the process is a little different. If you have a bin/cue, it needs to be converted. Just toss it at WinBin2Iso and it'll convert the bin/cue to cue/iso format. Once you have that, just mount it with WinCDEmu or your virtual drive of choice. From there, just run ISOMaker 2 from the patch files download, tell it what scenario you have in the drive, and tell it what drive. It'll generate a new sf3 cue/iso (same name every time, so you'll need to move it) and you're good to burn the result with IMGBurn or throw at your emulator of choice.

I only ran into one weird issue with the fileset I was working with in that the cue files were wrong. They were pointing at an iso file instead of the bin they came with. Just had to fix it with a text editor. Not like there's a lot of Saturn rips floating around, so it's likely to be a common issue with the Japanese rips out there.

Wasn't as complicated as I thought, they have a nice setup over at the translation project.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice thread OP, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Super Mario Bros. 3Mix, a SMB3 total conversion with entirely new levels that adds a ton of extra stuff from other Mario games and includes a save feature

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice thread OP, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Super Mario Bros. 3Mix, a SMB3 total conversion with entirely new levels that adds a ton of extra stuff from other Mario games and includes a save feature

Another good SMB3 hack is Mario Adventure, which gets pretty nuts with things like variable weather (e.g. snow can make surfaces slick), auto-saving, item shops where you buy items with coins, and the ability to store/swap power-ups while in-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

univbee posted:

Another good SMB3 hack is Mario Adventure, which gets pretty nuts with things like variable weather (e.g. snow can make surfaces slick), auto-saving, item shops where you buy items with coins, and the ability to store/swap power-ups while in-level.

Oh yeah that takes me back