Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just watched the episode which had almost no Stargate stuff in it at all except for a symbiote a billionaire was getting to cure a disease. All black ops conspiracy stuff and Maybourne and Q doing poo poo. That was a fun good episode!

Maybourne is somehow a lot more likable now that he's gone rogue.

If you want to contact him just post on AintItCoolNews

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Maybourne kicks rear end

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jaaaaaaaaaack

*bites hot dog

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m most of the way thru SGU and … it’s tough. It’s just grim and serious and very of it’s time. It’s just as dated as SG1 in its own way.

I like watching Young be the Jon Arbuckle to Rush’s Garfield. They just can’t get along! It’s finally calmed down a lot and neither has physically assaulted the other in a while.

The most fun character is Greer, who has excellent deadpan and presence. I suspect he was modelled as the tealc type tough guy who pulls double duty on the comedic relief.

Chloe is one of the worst people I’ve seen in any media. She is so selfish and short sighted and just too OC to believe. Anticharisma. I know it won’t happen but she should get blown out an airlock. Matthew Scott is an idiot for choosing her over gorgeous and capable Vanessa James. Chloe is the worst part of a rough show. She’s at the apex of a love triangle for reasons I just can’t understand.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I feel like Stargate Universe was supposed to be the Star Trek Voyager of the franchise, but they blew it with the flat writing and unlikeable characters

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Owl at Home posted:

I feel like Stargate Universe was supposed to be the Star Trek Voyager of the franchise, but they blew it with the flat writing and unlikeable characters

so it's the Star Trek Voyager of the franchise, then

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Nah, SGU was far more trying to pick up that Battlestar Galactica audience.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bucnasti posted:

Nah, SGU was far more trying to pick up that Battlestar Galactica audience.

To be fair Scifi was desperately trying to keep that audience. BSG ended in 2009, the same time SGU came out and they rebranded to syfy. Every show became gritty. Then when that flopped it went to wrestling.

Stargate thread at the time did nickname it battlestar lite.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

well why not posted:

Chloe is one of the worst people I’ve seen in any media. She is so selfish and short sighted and just too OC to believe. Anticharisma. I know it won’t happen but she should get blown out an airlock. Matthew Scott is an idiot for choosing her over gorgeous and capable Vanessa James. Chloe is the worst part of a rough show. She’s at the apex of a love triangle for reasons I just can’t understand.

Just put "Time" on repeat, it's the best ep of the whole show.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

redshirt posted:

Jaaaaaaaaaack

*bites hot dog

He's one of the best characters, his whole arc and relationship with Jack and how that unfolds. They do a real good job with recurring cast.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chronojam posted:

He's one of the best characters, his whole arc and relationship with Jack and how that unfolds. They do a real good job with recurring cast.

The one off episode where Jack crashes Harry's (1st) retirement plan was great. Felt like they were paying homage to something else with that one, but I can't place it.

Two men, trapped in a wild environment, growing more paranoid and crazy....

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wooooooaaaaahh, this episode Christopher Judge has a story by credit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know, for it being an ongoing concern that enemies could get their gate address, it seems kind of like a bad idea for SG-1 to have the point of origin symbol on their uniforms but I just noticed it's been there the whole time.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know, for it being an ongoing concern that enemies could get their gate address, it seems kind of like a bad idea for SG-1 to have the point of origin symbol on their uniforms but I just noticed it's been there the whole time.

I never caught that and I've watched the show a few times.

Amazing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah by season 5 or 6, all Gate activity should have gone to the Alpha Site, and the only Gate traffic that goes to Earth is from the Alpha Site (and perhaps Pegasus Midway).

Yeah, that's right Tok'ra, Alpha Site.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

That's a good point. It's like if the Navy made their sub propellers their logo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That said, how many Alpha Sites did they go through? 3? 4?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You need several more data points than the point of origin to derive a gate address. Like, at least 3.

tongue in cheek but figuring out how gate addresses work is literally why Jackson's on the team at all

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Good tattoo too. I'll tell the Goa'uld nothing!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also, each gate has a unique point of origin symbol on it, which just raises further questions tbh

like, why is it necessary at all except to show Spader Jackson is special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3h7xz558EY

ah dangit i've got a couple hours, guess i'm watching the movie again

/e: how am i only just noticing this was directed by Emmerich lmao

stringless fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 18, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Owl at Home posted:

SGU hosed up by including those stupid comm crystals. It absolutely didn't need all the dumb earth drama episodes, or the "why the hell aren't Carter or McKay or Jackson hooked up to help fix the ancient ship" aspects

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Wooooooaaaaahh, this episode Christopher Judge has a story by credit

Who did he kiss in it?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Who did he kiss in it?

T'Pol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Azhais posted:

SGU hosed up by including those stupid comm crystals. It absolutely didn't need all the dumb earth drama episodes, or the "why the hell aren't Carter or McKay or Jackson hooked up to help fix the ancient ship" aspects
On the other hand, you can easily imagine how insufferable McKay would have been so it's for the best, really.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kdrudy posted:

Who did he kiss in it?

He had a slow motion kung fu fight where his opponent flipped around and kicked him in the face about 500 times and then Teal'c stabbed him once to kill him

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Ori learned about the whole damned Milky Way Galaxy cuz of those dumb stones.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I forgot the movie SGC has voice responses for door key swipes lmao

Also the movie Abydos is supposedly in another galaxy, but somehow the Orion constellation is relevant? c'mon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nothing about the astronomy stuff in the movie or the show make any sense if you think about it for more than two seconds, but it's a fun show about going to a forest in Canada every week, and sometimes Teal'c acts really cool and that is fun too.

redshirt posted:

Apophis was a little bich rear end System Lord

Out of the system lords, Apophis is sort of the coolest because he resurrects like three times. I guess with the sarcophagi that's not so impressive, though.

I am now undermining my own argument to state that Ba'al is the coolest, because he actually tries to understand how the Tau'ri work and operate, and adjusts himself accordingly. Plus he is very handsome, RIP. Apophis is very handsome too, but he carries it on the show like a hostile thing, whereas Ba'al seems like a more approachable fella. You know, aside from the episode where he brutally tortures Jack for the entire duration.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Nothing about the astronomy stuff in the movie or the show make any sense if you think about it for more than two seconds, but it's a fun show about going to a forest in Canada every week, and sometimes Teal'c acts really cool and that is fun too.

Out of the system lords, Apophis is sort of the coolest because he resurrects like three times. I guess with the sarcophagi that's not so impressive, though.

I am now undermining my own argument to state that Ba'al is the coolest, because he actually tries to understand how the Tau'ri work and operate, and adjusts himself accordingly. Plus he is very handsome, RIP. Apophis is very handsome too, but he carries it on the show like a hostile thing, whereas Ba'al seems like a more approachable fella. You know, aside from the episode where he brutally tortures Jack for the entire duration.

Ba'al's the kinds of System Lord you can work with. Sure he's a dirty snake head, but he's got a certain level of standards....

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This one guy who's shown up a few times who used to be emperor of China or something, he seems fairly reasonable

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This one guy who's shown up a few times who used to be emperor of China or something, he seems fairly reasonable

Wu who?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

Ba'al's the kinds of System Lord you can work with. Sure he's a dirty snake head, but he's got a certain level of standards....
Ba'al in a nutshell:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ba'al's "breakout episode" IMO is the one where he has O'Neill prisoner and tortures him.

Fun fact about that episode, it mostly exists because RDA had knee surgery and couldn't move around much, hence the episode where he's lying down for almost the entirety of it.

Happy fortune I think. We got Ba'al out of it.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

redshirt posted:

Ba'al's "breakout episode" IMO is the one where he has O'Neill prisoner and tortures him.

Fun fact about that episode, it mostly exists because RDA had knee surgery and couldn't move around much, hence the episode where he's lying down for almost the entirety of it.

Happy fortune I think. We got Ba'al out of it.

Ba'al was a cool villain because he showed a level of curiosity in the world around him that the other system lords lacked. Most of them were just meatheads who wanted to find the easiest shortcut to maintaining their power base at any given time, Ba'al seemed to actually care about figuring out how things worked.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ba'al is a truly fantastic villain. Hell it's only been a page or three ITT since someone brought up that he's the only Goa'uld to really "get" the Tau'ri and run with it.

"Truly they have made many advances, but they are still simple of brain. I will conquer them by becoming ... a TechBro! But with style and class."

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 18, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of my favorite small moments on SG1 is in like Season 9 or 10, when the Jaffa council sends a strike team of Jaffa to Earth to try and abduct tech bro Ba'al.

Just the whole thing - Ba'al as a tech bro, the Jaffa independently working on Earth, using Tau'ri tactics, the Jaffa Council telling Earth to suck it, I loved this politics.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I forgot Richard Kind was in the movie. Lucius had worked his way into SGC well before they even had the gates working

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I forgot Richard Kind was in the movie. Lucius had worked his way into SGC well before they even had the gates working
Yeah, him, French Stewart, and the kid that played young Catherine are the entire shortlist of people that were in the movie and also the show while not reprising their movie role.

Skaara and Kusuf are the only characters played by the same actors in the movie and the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

That Richard Kind character on SGA is a great example of how our society has changed in pretty short order. That used to be considered "charming".