Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hackbunny posted:

What American cars would you call good rally cars? I've seen some photos of SCCA events of the 80s and lots of words come to mind seeing the cars, "fascinating", "interesting choice", "charming", but "good" I'm not sure. As a rule, there's always a guy with a Willys Jeep and a guy with a Beetle, sometimes there's a gigantic V8 pick up truck, and the rest of the lineup is what passed for muscle cars in the 80s and a plain weird assortment of (often outdated) imports. And Oldsmobiles Omegas. They were actually pretty common as rally cars, from what I see on eWRC-results, and hey, third place at the 1982 Reno International Pro Rally is not too shabby

It's actually pretty cool, I assume there were few or no factory teams. Much closer to the spirit of rally racing

I know the AMC Eagle SX/4 competed in SCCA rally, but I was never sure how well it actually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Alaois posted:

I know the AMC Eagle SX/4 competed in SCCA rally, but I was never sure how well it actually did.

Yeah, I thought about it. It's a constant presence in entry lists but it never seemed to do well, which is odd as it certainly looks the part of the rally car. SCCA Pro Rally stats paint a really weird picture

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
?

I have no idea how they do/did at pro-rally, but rallycross neons are popular and competitive.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

triple clutcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7byW6CxHM
It's not quite as AI as a Biturbo made out of Lego, but I'm still excited to spend way too much money so I can put it on a shelf alongside my orange Porsche.
I will add that to my orange Porsche as soon as I finish my Disney castle (sad but true).

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Oh come on, now they're yanking my chain :allears: First place a Ford F-150, second a Suzuki Cultus?! and who the hell still drives a Saab 99 in 1988? a Fiat 131?!

For too long I have neglected SCCA Pro Rally. I really should look for stories from back then because it all sounds crazy and unpredictable

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 3, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Yeah, I thought about it. It's a constant presence in entry lists but it never seemed to do well, which is odd as it certainly looks the part of the rally car. SCCA Pro Rally stats paint a really weird picture

i almost don't even care how well they actually did in competition, this picture is so good

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

hackbunny posted:

Oh come on, now they're yanking my chain :allears: First place a Ford F-150, second a Suzuki Cultus?! and who the hell still drives a Saab 99 in 1988? a Fiat 131?!

For too long I have neglected SCCA Pro Rally. I really should look for stories from back then because it all sounds crazy and unpredictable

brb, building a rally F-150.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hackbunny posted:

Don't grill my balls over an awkward sentence

Easy tiger, it was a joke. I enjoyed your rally write ups.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Crustashio posted:

?

I have no idea how they do/did at pro-rally, but rallycross neons are popular and competitive.

seems accurate. used to run deliveries in a $200 neon and once i fixed the rear drum brakes it surprisingly took more abuse than any american car i've ever seen. i treated it like poo poo because i spent less for it than it cost to put plates on and insurance. that thing somehow mounted curbs better than the crown vic and that was the source of most of my repairs so i'd just hitup the junkyard for $10 wheels beforehand and it was all good. other than that all i had to do was get a new coilpack because wires don't seem to age well after a decade or so

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't find the source but basically the Omega was the same thing -- cheap, tough, and easier to drive thanks to being FWD.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Crustashio posted:

?

I think they do decent enough iirc. A buddy of mine volunteers in their pit team. I think they've moved to a second gen neon these days, they were selling that specific 1G last year.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:australia:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

From this album:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TQT6M

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hackbunny posted:

What American cars would you call good rally cars?

Something not FWD, but I have a bias. see what I did there?

You race what’s available, but those FWD X-bodies were terrible, miserable cars. More so that the usual ‘80s GM dreck. The list of recalls on them is impressive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

You race what’s available, but those FWD X-bodies were terrible, miserable cars. More so that the usual ‘80s GM dreck. The list of recalls on them is impressive.

The only reason J-bodies are more notorious is that more of them survived, iirc. I'm not sure I've ever seen an X-body car in person.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Alaois posted:

i almost don't even care how well they actually did in competition, this picture is so good

Yeah it is! And basically a Jeep Cherokee underneath, so probably not terrible at its job.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

The only reason J-bodies are more notorious is that more of them survived, iirc. I'm not sure I've ever seen an X-body car in person.

Still see a few around. My buddy with all the Fieros happens to have a Phoenix as well. Don’t remember if it’s a coupe or sedan. Coupe, I think. More j-bodies survive probably because they’re more modern - fuel injection and better electrics, although the x-bodies did have tbi on most years, I think. FWD X-bodies can be usable, like anything with wheels that moves under its own power, but parts availability is declining, desirability is non-existent, and they just weren’t good to begin with.
I actually have a *tiny* soft spot for the Citation X11 coupe with the 2.8 “HO”. Would be entertaining to cram a supercharged 3800 in one. Or even a 3400. BTW, the X-body front suspension and drivetrain is what’s in the rear of an up-to-‘87 Fiero, if you didn’t already know.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

hackbunny posted:

Ohh Rod Millen on this list, driving a 323 GTX

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That guy has been rallying an f150 for a long time. I recognize the name/vehicle from the rallies I've worked at.

And the one i saw was basically a baja race truck, so yeah that's going to do alright in a rally.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 4, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

D C posted:

Ohh Rod Millen on this list, driving a 323 GTX

I had one of those! I loved it and it was my pride and joy. It was stolen when I moved house about 7 years ago, by people who clearly brought a trailer because I had taken the distributor rotor button out while I was between houses to avoid that very occurrence.

Checks out.

Memento fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 4, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

jamal posted:

That guy has been rallying an f150 for a long time. I recognize the name/vehicle from the rallies I've worked at.

And the one i saw was basically a baja race truck, so yeah that's going to do alright in a rally.

drat that's an impressive career

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I assume the break was having kids :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Memento posted:

Checks out.

just another day in Gosnells

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I always love the fact that the armour plate over his balls is thicker than his chest

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ferremit posted:

I always love the fact that the armour plate over his balls is thicker than his chest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ferremit posted:

No sense in living if your balls are blown off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowtracks on road cars will never not be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3aFtwRjnJc

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm the brake assemblies still on the front wheel hubs.

But for real that's the coolest 370Z. A low bar, but still.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Guinness posted:

I'm the brake assemblies still on the front wheel hubs.

But for real that's the coolest 370Z. A low bar, but still.

Why would you take them off? You’d have to block off or otherwise handle the front brakes in such a way to not gently caress up the master cylinder, and this way you can just bolt wheels back on. Doesn’t hurt anything to leave it, basically.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

K20C1 (Civic Type R) in S2000

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BlackMK4 posted:

That’s a shame.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

Should be popped into a Beat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

eyebeem posted:

That’s a shame.

Until you price a questionable used F20C1 at $5k or realize that a F20C1 longblock from Honda is about $7k (if you can get one, they don't make them anymore)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 6, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got back from SE Asia a month ago, but haven't had a chance to edit pics until recently. I think all of these are from Chiang Mai, Thailand, and I was just surprised by the condition of the vintage cars I saw, as well as a few kei cars and other stuff.

Not special, in fact these were everywhere. I think I'd rather import one of these than a diesel hilux

I don't think I've ever seen one of these in the US

Not a ton of weird cars in Cambodia, except for the abundance of willys-styled vehicles(Jeeps, jimnys, I can't tell them apart)

Our last stop was Singapore, which I lived in for three years while Bush Sr was still president and haven't been back to until now. Apparently my old neighborhood is full of ballers now

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 6, 2018

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

eyebeem posted:

That’s a shame.

Until you realize the K is just as capable as the F, and way cheaper.

Fastest Honda on the planet is powered by a K engine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Was it in a fire? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Was it in a fire? :wtc:

It's at KTuned in Phoenix. They basically have shells of every Honda chassis that they use for developing swap mounts.