Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

I think this probably belongs here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CBJamo posted:

Ah, the guy from Heavy Metal replaced his ‘59 Corvette, I see.

edit: for those that don't get the reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 7, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seeing the earth in the reflection of a car is loving badass, but all I can pay attention to is the gaps between the body panels.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

xzzy posted:

Seeing the earth in the reflection of a car is loving badass, but all I can pay attention to is the gaps between the body panels.

Sure is a lot of... space

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm just loving chuffed that theres a car driving to Mars, and back, potentially forever. It'll be interesting to examine it when it comes back around again.
I wonder how long the feed from Starman will last?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darchangel posted:

I'm just loving chuffed that theres a car driving to Mars, and back, potentially forever. It'll be interesting to examine it when it comes back around again.
I wonder how long the feed from Starman will last?

On the other hand

I wonder how long until we have our firat car accident in space. And if starman was drinking at the time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rigged Death Trap posted:

On the other hand

I wonder how long until we have our firat car accident in space. And if starman was drinking at the time.

Yeah, I'm not very excited about yet more junk being tossed into space.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it wasn't this it would have been a dummy payload, no difference practically. You've got to prove it's safe which means multiple launches.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cakesmith handyman posted:

If it wasn't this it would have been a dummy payload, no difference practically. You've got to prove it's safe which means multiple launches.

While I am totally cool with sending the Tesla up there and think it's awesome, I'll also throw out that dummy payloads are placed in an orbit that will quickly bring them back into the atmosphere to burn up.

But, yeah, the Tesla and Star Man kick rear end and are peak AI.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

On the other hand

Gravity 2 (2019) lookin good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Quick, someone find out the vin number of the space tesla, and register that as a kit car number.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I do hope the reg document is in the glovebox, and anyone who can recover it is allowed to keep it.

Does anyone know if there's a full list of everything they included on board? I'm kind of hoping there was a china teapot with a picture of Bertrand Russell in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw estimates that the car may not last a year because radiation will destroy pretty much anything in there that's carbon based. And if that doesn't do it, micrometeorites will fill it with holes.

It's going to be the space equivalent of a car in some farmer's front yard with a tree growing through the engine bay.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the mpg is off the charts tho

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Among all the chaff of BringATrailer comments, you find the occasional cool personal story.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-ruf-btr-930/#comment-2008689

quote:

e: On my Consulier Challenge story......it was 1991, not 2001!

I attended Warren Mosler’s Consulier Challenge at Sebring in Winter 2001. If you could beat his Consulier around the track he would write you a 100K check. New 911 Turbo with less talent behind the wheel bounced off the tire wall, F40 ran good but not winning numbers but the Yellow Ruf BTR beat the Consulier. Warren welshed on the bet, said it wasn’t running street tires.

I was on the track in my 190e 2.3-16V enjoying the day when a F40 followed by the Yellowbird came up fast in the straight away before the hairpin (turn 7) and both roared past me. The 2.3-16V would get past 100 mph before the hairpin so for those two cars to roar past me they had to be going 30-40 mph faster. I get through the hairpin and I just saw the Yellow, followed by Red blur going through turn 9…..yeah I never saw those two cars on the track with me again. I have it on old VHS video……need to get that transferred to Youtube!

and a response!:

quote:

I was there for the Consulier Challenge in 1991. I was personally invited by Warren Moseler because I was the Ruf importer/dealer, at the time. He was so confident he could beat ‘The World’s Fastest Car around Sebring, that he had to have that notch in his gun. I went, supporting the Ruf CTR (not BTR). He didn’t say it would be the short course, but at the last minute he changed it to a short course, naturally disappointing the Lamborghini and the F40 guys as well as us. The ugly little Consulier lost anyway. Lou, the Ruf importer drove the yellow CTR lightweight and beat Moseler’s pro driver, Chet Fillip. You are correct. Moseler wouldn’t pay because we ran Dunlop slicks and the Consulier was on Comp T/A R1s. He approved the Dunlop’s when we showed up on Bridgestone RE71 street tires, because Moseler said we had to use street tires. He went so far as to say-not R compounds. When I saw fresh Comp T/A R1’s on the Consulier I protested and he allowed the slicks. Lou pounded him mercilessly even though the CTR never used its top couple of gears on Sebring’s short course. Fillips, at one point, dove into the pits after the CTR ran him down and was about to pass him on live tv! We never expected him to pay. Mark Vaughn from Autoweek was there. He will tell the same story!

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 8, 2018

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

CBJamo posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this is awesome but it's definitely insanity. This 'barn find' of a Ferrari 275 and a 427 Cobra has been making the rounds lately. The owner is a family friend who has had some serious mental issues that went undiagnosed and untreated for many years. He recently got bad enough that things hit a breaking point and, for better or worse, was able to make a decision to get help. The guy is worth a lot of money but simply was/is not able to make decisions or function normally. In any case, after decades of neglect the city decided to demolish his dilapidated mansion (that he never lived in). The cars had to go. For years they weren't even insured, just sitting in the garage.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/02/06/barn-find-cobra-and-ferrari-head-to-auction

I remember seeing both the Ferrari and the Cobra when I was little. Shame they were stowed away so long.

There's an original 289 Cobra in storage too that these guys didn't take

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When the Falcon Heavy upper stage burned for Mars, they basically fired it til it ran out of fuel instead of shutting off at a calculated time. The Tesla actually ended up in an orbit that takes it nearly out to the asteroid belt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess this will be the most expensive crash test in history

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, based on my experience playing KSP which clearly makes me an authority on orbital mechanics, that isn't that big a deal. Once you get into orbit it's relatively easy to fling yourself into the far out reaches of the solar system. It's the getting to a precise spot and slowing down enough to not zoom by at thousands of meters per second that's hard.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I wish Elon Musk and Tesla weren't involved so I could be enthusiastic about it instead of mildly depressed. I feel the only worse payload they could have picked would have been a huge space billboard

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Why are people so upset over they payload?

It was an untested rocket that had a 50/50 chance of actually working. It's not like they could really have put anything useful in there. Plus a car is pretty handy since most people know that car = pretty heavy.

I mean, I'm no huge fan of Musk and his companies, but it's still pretty impressive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The dude puts money where his mouth is, I can't fault him in the least. He's out there doing poo poo that we should be doing as an entire race.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Why are people so upset over they payload?

It was an untested rocket that had a 50/50 chance of actually working. It's not like they could really have put anything useful in there. Plus a car is pretty handy since most people know that car = pretty heavy.

I mean, I'm no huge fan of Musk and his companies, but it's still pretty impressive.

I've seen a few people call it littering on a cosmic scale.

Which to be honest makes it even more awesome.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

hackbunny posted:

I wish Elon Musk and Tesla weren't involved so I could be enthusiastic about it instead of mildly depressed. I feel the only worse payload they could have picked would have been a huge space billboard

It's kind of funny you feel that way because Elon Musk is the mad(ish) devil-may-care inventor/entrepreneur I grew up reading about in scifi books from the 60s and 70s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When my son came home from school today the first thing he said to me was "Somebody put a Tesla in space!!

So I showed him the video and he loved it. A lot of people think it's cool and so do I, people should be mad about other things.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When my son came home from school today the first thing he said to me was "Somebody put a Tesla in space!!

So I showed him the video and he loved it. A lot of people think it's cool and so do I, people should be mad about other things.

Some people seem to think that Musk is just a PT Barnum hookum-and-snakeoil salesman wrapped up in a geeky coat of legitimacy. Sort of how they actually should have felt about Steve Jobs. Shrug.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, it's not like Musk isn't without issues though, especially when it comes to the way he treats employees and stuff.

Plus there's his issues with over promising and massively under delivering. And his obession with things that are just dumb, like the hyperloop. He basically just needs. A better PR team to help tone things down a bit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair most CEOs don't have the greatest people skills and most of them poo poo on and stepped over a bunch of people to get in that position to begin with. It's like hating magnificent art because the artist is an rear end in a top hat. Just appreciate the work regardless if the creator is jerk or doesn't have the greatest business management.

I can appreciate what he's done so far, whether or not he can keep it up remains to be seen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hackbunny posted:

It was the best payload because it got everyone's attention... and got a lot of people talking about shooting poo poo into the sky as a result. This is a huge public demonstration of the future of space use - I'm sorry but if you weren't giggling like a madman at the sight of A loving CAR WITH THE EARTH IN THE BACKGROUND ... I dont know what to say. They launched a car. Into space. And live streamed it. There are any number of kids and adults who suddenly got inspired as gently caress in ways only the moon landing did in 1969.... and now people are realising maaaaaybe we could get a human on Mars afterall.

SpaceX wouldnt have gotten this far without Musk. We wouldn't have rockets that landed in sync back basically where they were launched from (that in itself was mindblowing). What we got yesterday was a genuine leap forward and while Musk himself isn't building the things, it's his vision and drive that is bringing a whole lot of people with him to achieve what we thought would be impossible 10 years ago. gently caress it, he put his cash and his work into it, if he wants to fire off his own car, then loving awesome. I know if I was in his position I'd be throwing one of my cars into orbit

The Prong Song posted:

It's kind of funny you feel that way because Elon Musk is the mad(ish) devil-may-care inventor/entrepreneur I grew up reading about in scifi books from the 60s and 70s.

Say what you will about his companies poo poo way they treat workers (Which is true), they keep delivering on Musk's promises. Usually several years late but those ridulous brainfarts he has keep being turned into reality. Juuuuuuust.... not as fast as he says they will. Musk is exactly the kind of mad visionary that changes the world and brings along a whole load of others for the ride.

quote:

Some people seem to think that Musk is just a PT Barnum hookum-and-snakeoil salesman wrapped up in a geeky coat of legitimacy. Sort of how they actually should have felt about Steve Jobs. Shrug.

A couple of them on this forum. Which always WTF's me - Jobs the original geek snake and oil salesman get worshipped for a phone that featured nothing that competitors didnt have 3 years ago while a guy who is leading the way in making real fundamental changes to payment technology, then cars, then space and now the power grid is called a huckster. Reeeeeeeeeally.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 8, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Since he's so gung-ho about Mars, I really hope someone can talk him into doing a bunch of terraforming research. Because, uh, we're gonna need that here pretty soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I know if I was in his position I'd be throwing one of my cars into orbit

We do not need a recreation of the Pleiades using genuine Subaru parts.

Or do we...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Plus there's his issues with over promising and massively under delivering. And his obession with things that are just dumb, like the hyperloop. He basically just needs. A better PR team to help tone things down a bit.

He's the real world tony stark, same kind of ambition but not smart enough to do it himself so everything ends up a crappier version of his dream.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's cool that he did it, but adding to space junk is not what we loving need right now

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nice hot take there.

Good thing it's going to be in a heliocentric orbit, and not an orbit around Earth where space junk is a real problem.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, he can now be about the 50th piece of poo poo we've launched into that same orbit and can't deal with.

I'm not saying it isn't cool, or neat, but it's still an issue.

But none of this is awesome car poo poo, so I'm going to stop here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

It's cool that he did it, but adding to space junk is not what we loving need right now

Just imagine a 20 km beach. On that beach think of one grain of sand. That's the Tesla in Interplanentary space and the rest of the beach is one great big fuckoff vaccuum.

...How is that a problem?????

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it hits a planet, it will be coming in very directly in comparison to the things orbiting the planet, and it won't cause any issues by the time whatever mist is left hits the ground. The issue with what we generally consider space junk is that it's orbiting the Earth over and over, continually coming into [relative] proximity with other orbits. For LEO stuff, that can be as often as once every 90 minutes in regards to a separate object's orbit, and there are thousands of bits of junk up there, so the risk is high.

This poo poo is heliocentric with an apoapsis nearer to the orbit of mars the asteroid belt, and a periapsis nearer to the orbit of Earth, and that orbit takes months-years. Generally, people only care about space junk re: Kessler syndrome, and the Tesla won't have anything to do with that. So, I'm wondering why you're so upset about it.

You say it can be the 50th piece of poo poo we've launched into that same orbit. Nothing has been launched into that orbit before. Even if it was the originally-planned Hohmann-transfer orbit (which it isn't, it overshot and will be in the asteroid belt at its peak instead), this specific period is different than the other Mars missions. So, it's not?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nice hot take there.

Good thing it's going to be in a heliocentric orbit, and not an orbit around Earth where space junk is a real problem.

I look forward to a galaxy where people can be like "yeah, Elon Musk was able to put that silly car on some random orbit around the sun, but we have to register every single little thing now."
Cuz that at least means we got ourselves out there.