Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Lone Badger posted:

To advance the BoS questline do I just keep doing the radiant quests, or is that getting me nothing but caps?

If you've ran out of proper quests to do for them then just proceed with the main story. More BoS stuff opens up after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

He constantly gets in my way when I'm trying to walk through hallways, doorways or stairwells (so all the drat time), he rushes ahead to starts fights when I try to be stealthy and he "finds something" but leads me to...nothing at all.

He is a big help saving ammo on ghouls, since I just blow off their legs and he finishes them off.

Huh, I don't know. I'm a stealth sniper, and him running ahead just draws all the enemies to a convenient spot where I put bullets into them while letting me remain stealthed. If he gets in my way I just jump over him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

sector_corrector posted:

Huh, I don't know. I'm a stealth sniper, and him running ahead just draws all the enemies to a convenient spot where I put bullets into them while letting me remain stealthed. If he gets in my way I just jump over him.

Yeah, I'm playing a sniper and not bothering with stealth because I know most of the enemies will stop to fight Nick or Piper or whoever who ran ahead for some reason.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lugaloco posted:

If you've ran out of proper quests to do for them then just proceed with the main story. More BoS stuff opens up after a certain point.

Make sure you complete Danse's quest first though, because he turns into a companion and it gets rid of his ability to initiate the dialog to end that quest. Apparently you get it back, but it's not for a long time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

MoraleHazard posted:

Just ran into the Vault-tec rep at the hotel Rexford who became a ghoul. Talked nice to him and got him to go to Sanctuary. That was a very fun little easter egg.

Along similar-ish lines, if you bring Codsworth back to Vault 111, he actually has some unique dialogue when he sees your dead Ice Husband in his pod.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm almost Level 14 now and just about to go to CIT to try to get to the institute. Things are definitely becoming harder, but I've been focusing on the main quest. Am I doing things the "wrong" way? Is it going to be impossible for me to do this?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is the top-level store you can build enough better than the next one down that it's worth taking Cap Collector for? I care more about the actual contents of the weapons store than I do about the profit, but if the profit is huge or something that is nice too.

Like, can you buy cryo ammo there? Or similarly rare badass stuff?

I've put up a couple of those stores. I dunno if the inventory is level scaled, but at 36 they tend to have pretty basic weaponry. The usual midlevel combat shotguns, hunting rifles, assault rifles, etc. They stock quite a lot of ammo for that sort of thing, and a small amount of rarer stuff. Might see like 60 plasma and 20 gauss rifle shots. I'm not sure about the cryo ammo in particular since I don't use it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Despite people giving Bethesda poo poo for engine bugs, I'm still a fan of the wacked out physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loMZGx2bLGk

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So it seems like the bullets just go through the character models

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Silver Shroud questline end question How can you save Kent? I scared the bodyguards, but even if I get a killshot on the bad guys head he still magically pulls the trigger. Really annoying. Is kent just unsavable or something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ravenkult posted:

What faction are ya'll siding with?

Institute. Science for life :science:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to need more mines.

I tried going to that satellite array and my head fell off immediately. Are there certain parts where you're just supposed to use the power armor? I decided to go high intelligence but that didn't seem to be as smart of an idea in this iteration of the game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Silver Shroud questline end question How can you save Kent? I scared the bodyguards, but even if I get a killshot on the bad guys head he still magically pulls the trigger. Really annoying. Is kent just unsavable or something?

Holster your weapon on the elevator, talk with the guy, save before taking the "Kill me first", and reload you pass the check.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

moist turtleneck posted:

I tried going to that satellite array and my head fell off immediately. Are there certain parts where you're just supposed to use the power armor? I decided to go high intelligence but that didn't seem to be as smart of an idea in this iteration of the game.

Fallout 4 doesn't seem to scale most areas down with the players level, so some places will destroy you if you don't come back to them later. The entire coastline is basically one huge death trap. Mirelurks will gently caress you up over and over again.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

moist turtleneck posted:

Considering you need Science to do most of the power armour modding, it seems like a high science run would be actually important if you needed power armour (you don't).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

I was having problems with the Sattelite array too, and considered power armor. The first time I tried it three different Legendary Mutant Butchers spawned, and made it nearly impossible. I also went for a frontal attempt, which seems like a bad idea. I came back to it later with essentially the same weapons (slightly more DR), and tried entering from the right hand side. I got more favorable spawns, and also seemed to have picked an approach that didn't make everything in the base instantly aggro.

My advice would be to get a few levels on it and try approaching from the sides.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Cool, I was wondering about that. The National Guard place was fine until the legendary skulled Glowing One popped up. I basically had to abuse geometry for ten minutes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you start companion quests btw? Wait for high enough relationship then talk to them?

Curie's is seems to be time based. She asked me to start hers and I had only been using her for like an hour and didn't level up her affinity once.
Nick and MacReady are affinity since I used them for hours and it only popped after affinity levels were gained.
Danse is BoS story gated. Make sure to return the BoS holotape with the virus/info quickly or you can lock yourself out if you advance the Institute quests too much.
No idea what triggers Cait's quest. I'll just assume affinity.

Everyone else doesn't have poo poo :negative:

Sonofsilversign posted:

I'm having some trouble with vault 95. I showed up and got disintegrated a half dozen times by the assaultrons. So obviously i came back in power armor with a fat man and a minigun and even that was a hard fight. Then I get inside and the place is filled with even more of them, they dont even have skulls but they were easily killing me in my T-60. Is there a trick to fighting robots that Im not getting? Like are they really weak against modded energy weapons or something?

Sorry Cait, this really isnt worth it...

Their limbs are weak and take a ton of damage. You can probably kill them before you blow off 2 limbs. Their chest and heads are very heavily armored.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Was playing great on PC until I started getting massive hitches and performance issues, discovered the cause I had 9999 carryweight it seems at a certain amount of items in your inventory the game starts to lock up. Dumped most of it at Sanctuary and everything is smooth 60fps.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Cool, I was wondering about that. The National Guard place was fine until the legendary skulled Glowing One popped up. I basically had to abuse geometry for ten minutes.

A really good thing about this game (improved over both FO3 and Skyrim) is that things are leveled by region, so if you're having troubles then you can go clear quests in an easier region to improve your character.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Just got the Advanced lockpick perk and lo and behold, what do I find behind my first Advanced lock but a full set of T-51 in very good shape, in a shed south of the sheriff's office on the northeast coast, by some boat I can't remember the name of ...and I've done, like, two Brotherhood quests.

You'll need it if you keep going south from there cause you'll run into a shitload of Raiders, strong ones too. At least I can hear the Fat Man whistle while it's on the way so I don't jump out of my chair when I suddenly get nuked in the face.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 16, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I think the game lies to you due to low foresight. I have had instances where Idiot Savant procs on a quest turn in so I get a huge amount of xp and when it shows the experience bar fill up and tick over to the next level I think the bar is still the same amount as the previous level, even though its not. It's actually higher, as expected. So it makes you think you may have leveled up twice but in actuality you only leveled up once and almost leveled up a second time. I say this because when I turned in the quest I leveled up from 11 to 13 on the screen, but when I went into my Pipboy a little later after scavenging around I was only level 12 with about 75% of the bar filled. I don't think Bethesda imagined you leveling up 5 times in one instance normally so didn't think about that instance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Pick "Kill me first."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

sector_corrector posted:

A really good thing about this game (improved over both FO3 and Skyrim) is that things are leveled by region, so if you're having troubles then you can go clear quests in an easier region to improve your character.

This seems like a fatal mistake, as it means a level 1 player can't go instantly to any part of the map they please the second they leave the vault.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

sector_corrector posted:

I do that but jumping over him really doesn't work in tiny hallways and doorways where there's no room to get by. Plus I just don't like having to stop and deal with a living obstruction every few minutes while I explore (or having to retrieve him if I tell him to wait outside). He's my Sanctuary guard dog and that's good enough for me because I hate playing with companions in general.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So, just picking up the game today. I was wondering about how much starting build can boost or drat you for the rest of the game.

Usually I play a high INT/PER/CHA character with some Agility, but is that really viable in this one? Being able to lockpick, hack, and talk are sort of my normal playstyle.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, settler management is the big reason I'm not doing much with settlements in this playthrough. Having to track down settlers manually, and then having to run to the resource (and you can't even sprint in workshop mode) and assign them there, is a real pain in the rear end.

You can run in minecraft mode, though. At least on consoles.

Also you can build a bell in your settlement and ring it, evryone will come to it except maybe dog and the people who somehow got stuck inside my pre-war house which was barricaded to keep settlers out of it since it is mine.

Speedball posted:

and food supplies, do not carry over from one settlement to the next.
This is what I thought, but there is a loading screen tip that says that extra food and water is shared. I did notice that my settlements with 0 water production have not complained about it yet.

Zore posted:

Its just a one way connection. Settlements aren't super complicated.
It's 2-way, a hub and spoke or chain configuration will share between every settlement.

Kimmalah posted:

The fact that you were using .38 a lot may be a big factor. I never found anything decent that took that ammo so it was real problem.

I'm in the mid 20's and I am still using a pipe gun chambered in .38 as my primary. With mods to decrease recoil and increase damage / fire rate it remains viable for quite a while.

Genocyber posted:

Can I have some goon opinions on the PS4 version of this? Mainly regarding how bad the framerate is, functionally, like if it does get in the way with fights often, or not.

It runs way better than expected. Occasional hiccups and slowdown, but it isn't like 3 / NV where every hiccup is a heart-stopper where you wait to see if the game just crashed or not. Turning off all autosaves helps as well and is standard for any Bethesda game anyway.

I do notice in settlements that sometimes it is hard to turn, like, there's a tremendous amount of drag on the camera pan. I think this has something to do with dog being next to you and restricting your movement, though. Since I took Piper it hasn't been an issue.

kickascii posted:

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to my video settings to make this game not look all whitewashed? I'm tweaking different things but nothing is working.
It's just foggy out, it will clear up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When you unlock a companion perk, does it only stay active when your with your companion, or am I going to have to start collecting, befriending and ditching everyone to gobble up bonuses?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm just plodding away at Hard for my first play through and everything that isn't a base line normal rear end enemy is starting to feel like a bullet sponge at level 22.

Is this because I only have taken the first rank of Rifleman and 2 ranks of Bloody Mess as my damage perks or because my equipment maybe out dated? (Using a boosted Righteous Authority at the moment which has a tool-tip of 42 energy damage)

Edit: Also I put Piper in a scribe outfit and she looks all dumpy now :allears: I wish I could adventure with Curie but I wanna hear everything Piper has to say and I am still worried my Brotherhood Bros won't like me hanging out with Curie.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 16, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

2house2fly posted:

This seems like a fatal mistake, as it means a level 1 player can't go instantly to any part of the map they please the second they leave the vault.

lol

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Neeksy posted:

So, just picking up the game today. I was wondering about how much starting build can boost or drat you for the rest of the game.

Usually I play a high INT/PER/CHA character with some Agility, but is that really viable in this one? Being able to lockpick, hack, and talk are sort of my normal playstyle.

If you find something is too low later, you can raise Special stats with perks. There's also a book in the beginning of the game that will give you a point and I think some of the bobbleheads will as well.

titties posted:

I'm in the mid 20's and I am still using a pipe gun chambered in .38 as my primary. With mods to decrease recoil and increase damage / fire rate it remains viable for quite a while.

If it's working for you fine, but every time I tried to use one it was useless (even modded all to hell). Needing like 20 shots to kill one thing doesn't work well outside stealth and that was how it worked out for me.

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
They could of copied almost everything plot-wise about NEO Scavenger and it would've been a better story, or at least more open ended. I guess it's more approachable for like dad's and poo poo but jeez I could care less about some stupid baby.
With that being said if they could pull a permadeath dlc like farcry 4 as a resurrected vault 111 resident that would be pretty cool. But more realistically I'd like a dlc that is a complete overhaul of the settlement builder, just turn it into Animal Crossing and I wouldn't play anything ever again.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

titties posted:

I don't have a primary per se, each weapon is situational. I've got a .38 SMG, pretty much maxed out but with glow iron sights cause the others are too obstructive, especially the "reflex" sight that's just a tube with pointy bits in the side, that's a worthless piece of poo poo. I'll use it against large quantities of soft enemies at close range. Ammo for it is easy to find and I can afford to use something that weak. I used it in that early Brotherhood mission where you go through that high-tech place and clear out all the synths and it did great.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I'm having fun so far. I do have a few questions though:

So, after I find a magazine, read and take it....can I sell it and still retain the perks? Or do I have to carry it around with me (yes its 0 weight but some of them are high value)?

Any point in holding on to the videogames? Or can I sell them?

I have picked up a bunch of manila envelopes that don't seem craft related, are worth 1 cap, and have no weight. Any reason I should be holding on to them?

as for my non-rpg-ocd question:

Should I bother building a wall around my settlements (i.e. will raiders be forced to funnel through my killzone entrance, or do they just spawn at a random location within the settlement border)?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kimmalah posted:

If it's working for you fine, but every time I tried to use one it was useless (even modded all to hell). Needing like 20 shots to kill one thing doesn't work well outside stealth and that was how it worked out for me.

It is working well enough, but it won't be for much longer. I've been using it for like 10 levels.

Gouls and stuff die with like 3-4 shots, but bigger things do take more shots. TTK on a supr mutant is still pretty low provided that your gun has very good stability and you can shoot the face good.

Otherwise it will take 20+ rounds like you were saying, but with a fire rate of like 175 those 20 rounds are fired in like 4 seconds. I treat it like an SMG, run up close and empty the clip.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

BigRoman posted:

I'm having fun so far. I do have a few questions though:

So, after I find a magazine, read and take it....can I sell it and still retain the perks? Or do I have to carry it around with me (yes its 0 weight but some of them are high value)?

Any point in holding on to the videogames? Or can I sell them?

I have picked up a bunch of manila envelopes that don't seem craft related, are worth 1 cap, and have no weight. Any reason I should be holding on to them?

as for my non-rpg-ocd question:

Should I bother building a wall around my settlements (i.e. will raiders be forced to funnel through my killzone entrance, or do they just spawn at a random location within the settlement border)?

there's a man at the charles view amphitheater who can answer all of those questions about your material possessions and more for you

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No idea what triggers Cait's quest. I'll just assume affinity.

I just triggered a step of Cait's dialogue after making a choice that she disliked while joining the Railroad, so who knows

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

It took me quite a few tries

If you one-shot the main bad guy then his deputy takes the shot instead, and there's no way to kill them both in time.
But if you hit him he'll start to take the shot, if you immediately finish him off then Kent will still be alive and the deputy won't shoot him because the main guy already started to.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Did I miss something that explained what happened in Vault 75? I found the terminal records for the new recruit, the chief scientist, and the overseer, but none of them really gave the story of what happened in a coherent way. Best I can imagine from what I found is the kids finding out about the experiment and "graduation" from the papers that were lost or the recruit finding the truth too early and revolting, but that's mostly just guestimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When you unlock a companion perk, does it only stay active when your with your companion, or am I going to have to start collecting, befriending and ditching everyone to gobble up bonuses?

It stays with you all the time. But really, only Danse's perk is universally useful. MacReady's is good if you use VATS(but it's lso bugged right now to always give you a 95% chance to heads). The rest are all pretty much trash.

edit: Preston's is good too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread