Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I was hoping that the "M5-7" in the url was implying a 350 swap, but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tip: if you cut open a diamond key to replace the battery, be very, very careful. Trying to identify and solder tiny surface mount components isn't fun.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raluek posted:

I was hoping that the "M5-7" in the url was implying a 350 swap, but alas

Alas, the car wasn't swapped with an engine that would make the car worse in every way

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

hey guys I hope you all had a nice Sunday!

User Error fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 12, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I hear you, brother. Motherfucking airborne S54 in my garage today. :woop:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's an e34 540i 6 speed on my local cl for $3500, the want is very strong right now

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

White Phosphorus posted:

I saw a 2014 335i xdrive grand tourismo. $30k 18000 miles. What do you guys think?

I was looking for a fast wagon but car makers are getting rid of them or they are obscenely expensive, so a 4 door hatchback is the next best thing in theory.

If you're considering the GT, why not a E84 35i instead?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've never seen a 3-GT standing still where I could walk around it, only seen them on the roads, but a neighbor has an X1 and I was blown away by how small it is.

If I had 30k to spend on something like that, I'd look at an Audi A3 hatch (or Golf/GTI) or maybe an A4 wagon. I just don't like BMW's offerings in the segment.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've never seen a 3-GT standing still where I could walk around it, only seen them on the roads, but a neighbor has an X1 and I was blown away by how small it is.

If I had 30k to spend on something like that, I'd look at an Audi A3 hatch (or Golf/GTI) or maybe an A4 wagon. I just don't like BMW's offerings in the segment.

Those are all the cars i was looking at as well. Why the hell does the golf wagon have fewer hp than the hatch despite being a bigger car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I guess no one wants to hoon a Golf wagon when they could hoon a GTI instead?

Good luck in your search.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GTI is a great car..... if you have something raw along side of it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience fixing curb rash on BMW wheels? I have a set of ZCP wheels and hit a pot hole that scraped the lip of one on the fronts and it's annoying me. I've looked into using Wurth Silver Wheel Spray and lacquer along with a filler, does it actually match the colour though? If it's a pain or will come out not looking right I'll just take it to a wheel shop.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
try to get a quote first and see if it's worth your time or not to DIY it. fixing superficial stuff on wheels isn't too tough.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

try to get a quote first and see if it's worth your time or not to DIY it. fixing superficial stuff on wheels isn't too tough.

Yeah I figured I'd give it a shot myself first because Chicago has plenty of potholes and I'd rather not pay to get a wheel fixed every time I happen to hit one.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The AC no longer works in my E30 318i. I was able to spin the compressor over by hand, and the car doesn't drive like poo poo with the AC on - thus I assume that either the clutch is not engaging or it's empty(because there is no resistance). Any other thoughts on things I should check? Fuses are good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Jump the clutch manually and see if it engages

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Jump the clutch manually and see if it engages

It is definitely engaging, when I push the AC button the compressor spins with the belt.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Had the steering angle sensor replaced in my e85 today. Was told I wouldn't really notice a difference in how the steering feels, but I do. Psychosomatic?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

It is definitely engaging, when I push the AC button the compressor spins with the belt.

Sounds like dye is in your future :v: The AC in mine ate poo poo too. Fuse for the AC blew, accidentally replaced it with a 30A fuse and it blew smoke out the vents.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 14, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I finally got around to putting a much larger radiator that I had sitting around and an electric fan in my E21. At some point I'll have to order some parts to replace my questionable hose routing but it cools significantly better than the stock setup and it cost me zero dollars.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

God drat this thing is fun

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That color is soooo good man.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

That color is soooo good man.

I know. Every time he posts a new picture I have to stop myself from saying how much I love the colour.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Thanks! I get poo poo for it (heh) all the time, but I love it so much.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what they did to fix it. 2008 135i convertible, drivers side window/mirror controls stopped working. passenger side works, windows still go up and down with the top and/or key fob, the panel still lights up when you turn the lights on, but the switches just don't do anything. I'm going to pull it apart this weekend, but just wanted to know if there was something more specific that others have seen. Thanks!

BJA fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

Thanks! I get poo poo for it (heh) all the time, but I love it so much.

Are those universal flares? What size are those wheels? I love that thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well I put my e30 318iS up for sale...sigh

Time to move on aftrr 8 years of ownership

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Let me guess, $7000?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Of course

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Network42 posted:

Are those universal flares? What size are those wheels? I love that thing.

They are kamotors ultra wide flares, made specifically for the e30. Wheels are 17x9 et26 style 32s with 255s. I was worried that much extra unsprung weight and tire meat would make the car less playful, but somehow it's even more friendly at the limit with the extra meat and track width!

Cutting the sheet metal for them totally sucked

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Why? I miss my 318iS. I know you've got another one but e30s are at the point where they're getting hard to replace! Are you sure you won't regret it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

Why? I miss my 318iS. I know you've got another one but e30s are at the point where they're getting hard to replace! Are you sure you won't regret it?

I'm sure I will but not as much as I regret selling my M Coupe

It's time to move on, I have ruined the fun of the car by making it into a track car that really needs to be towed to events and not driven there (a tow vehicle and trailer is not an option). It needs a faster engine and i've run out of the will to put more time/effort into it.

I still have my e46 330i for now but i'm just getting tired of working on cars...i feel like i've let being a 'bmw guy who works on his cars constantly' become some of my identity and it takes away time from other things that i need or want to do more, like doing fun stuff with my 2 year old.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Uh, link? Does the ac work? :v: Moar pics, interior?

e https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/6176976196.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 15, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I haven't tried it lately but the last time I used it, it worked but had a weak charge.

I'll take some photos tonight

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
I bought the M Performance Brake Kit for my 2013 335i for a smoking deal (local dealer was selling it 50% off), so I snagged it for a cool $1,100. They wanted 10 hours of labor to install and re-code, which I thought was outrageous.

My 335i already has the unpainted brembos on them, which I assume this BBK is the same, just painted with the M Logo.

I have the technical ability to change all the physical parts, except the re-code. From what I can gather, it's just BMW re-coding the DSC/DTC to the larger rotors.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to bleed the brakes in a certain order?

2) I have done brake bleeds before with my Motive Power bleeder, but they say the bleed process is different than the dealer, since the dealer will activate a diagnostic mode so the ABS will pulsate during the bleed. Any truth to this or should I just bleed the brakes like any other car?

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Duccy posted:

I bought the M Performance Brake Kit for my 2013 335i for a smoking deal (local dealer was selling it 50% off), so I snagged it for a cool $1,100. They wanted 10 hours of labor to install and re-code, which I thought was outrageous.

My 335i already has the unpainted brembos on them, which I assume this BBK is the same, just painted with the M Logo.

I have the technical ability to change all the physical parts, except the re-code. From what I can gather, it's just BMW re-coding the DSC/DTC to the larger rotors.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to bleed the brakes in a certain order?

2) I have done brake bleeds before with my Motive Power bleeder, but they say the bleed process is different than the dealer, since the dealer will activate a diagnostic mode so the ABS will pulsate during the bleed. Any truth to this or should I just bleed the brakes like any other car?

1) passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front

2) if the abs runs dry, you need to cycle it with the fancy dealer computer as you bleed the brakes with the motive bleeder. if the ABS does not run dry, you can bleed like normal

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

crazzy posted:

1) passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front

2) if the abs runs dry, you need to cycle it with the fancy dealer computer as you bleed the brakes with the motive bleeder. if the ABS does not run dry, you can bleed like normal

Thanks!

Install went great, took me about 9 hours including the bleeds, which I messed up cause I didn't know they had an inner and outer valves.

Did get some other cool stuff on last week also, Dinan CAI and M Performance Exhaust. I really hope there is a break in period associated with this exhaust, it doesn't seem that loud. I definitely should have wired the valve open on the left pipe, since it doesn't seem to want to open at all, even on a cold start. Guess the next thing we want to get is the MPPK or the M body kit, which I can get the entire kit for about $1700 unpainted from the dealer. Or splurge on a Dinan Stage 2 tune?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Looks good! Did you go from standard brakes to M Sport / M Performance? I notice a huge difference between my M Sports and my Dad's stock 335 brakes.

You'll get more power out of a Dinan tune. I probably would have done that, but since I got a 2015 in late 2016, my CPO runs until the end of 2020, and the Dinan warranty ends with factory, while the MPPK doesn't change the CPO warranty. That said, the MPPK is pretty great, so I imagine the Dinan is kind of nuts.

Funny thing though, the prior owner HAD the Dinan tune on it and they flashed it back to stock on trade in. He and the performance rep did some fast talking and converted his Dinan tune to his new M3... I got his N55 Dinan intake used for $300, so no complaints there. Met him a few months ago at a cars and coffee, he was really happy to see it go to an enthusiast, he's a club track instructor.

I haven't touched the exhaust, so no input there. AWE is a few towns over, so if I did I'd probably see if they do any local deals. Been pouring money into other hobbies, mostly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i like the look of those wheels but they look like they are so easy to gently caress up on a curb since the spokes stick out so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If you live somewhere with morons everywhere the tire installer monkee will get all confused as to how to balance them (no rim edge to set the guide thingy).

I had this problem around 2008 getting some OZ Ultraleggera's installed on one of my old E46's. Hopefully by now even meathead installers used to banging out trucks all day are up to speed. Thank god for indy shops.