Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I recently sat in a shitload of new BMWs including the M2 and was surprised that interior-size-wise, it's a 99% carbon copy of my E92.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ether Frenzy posted:

I recently sat in a shitload of new BMWs including the M2 and was surprised that interior-size-wise, it's a 99% carbon copy of my E92.

I think that's the point. Make a performance car using as many parts from the bin as possible.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Cojawfee posted:

I think that's the point. Make a performance car using as many parts from the bin as possible.

OR find something that works well and refine it to perfection.

Not to be an apologist.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mat_Drinks posted:

OR find something that works well and refine it to perfection.

Not to be an apologist.

But it doesn't have a V8 anymore :confused:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

From what I know the head unit is just a pre-amp, the amplfier and cross overs are at the back of the car. So if you got a normal head unit you would have to directly wire the high level outputs to each of the speakers, ie couldn't use the factory harness at all, or would need to bypass/disconnect the factory amplifier, supply your own crossovers or replace the speakers, and would lose steering wheel controls.

If there was a direct aftermarket drop in head unit that could use the factory stuff, it would have to be low level non-rca 5v outputs, (e: and probably some dumb grounding arrangement), and of course your old BMW amp in the back would have to be working OK. Maybe that unit you linked to is designed for that, it sure is pricey for a random head unit just for radio use otherwise.

That's what I kinda figured, seems like getting a new working amp brain is the way to go.

Thanks!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Anyone on the UK ever bought anything from JJC race and rally? Freight UK-AU usually much cheaper than US-AU, plus the exchange rate better in the UK.
My e34 needs front struts so rather than chuck them onto a USA order I got the actual bilstein part number and searched. JJC r&r can send me a pair for au$325inc.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Anyone on the UK ever bought anything from JJC race and rally? Freight UK-AU usually much cheaper than US-AU, plus the exchange rate better in the UK.
My e34 needs front struts so rather than chuck them onto a USA order I got the actual bilstein part number and searched. JJC r&r can send me a pair for au$325inc.

Yah. They're a subsidiary of demon tweeks. I use a lot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thank you muchly, I'll go ahead with the order and dig around the site and see if there's anything else I want.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's funny watching the prices tumble down on some e30s at the moment. One I never looked at was a bronzit 318 for $5500, I looked at the other one but not this one because it read like it was owned by a tosser and also the a/c was hosed, it's now $4000 ono as the rego has run out. Another was a 325 listed by a dealer 8k, it's now listed at 6990 ono. They paid gumtree extra to list it as "urgent" as the rego runs out in 2 weeks.

There's still the same 8k-9k ones up there not doing anything. There's even a hail damaged 323i still up there for 7900 price firm!!11one. The autos are still there for ~5k.
A new low KM manual has showed up at a dealer for 5990
None of them has sold except the bronzit 318 I almost bought for 4400, and the white 323i I ran away from due to rust that sold for 3k.
E: I still think they are a decent buy at 4-5k if everything is working - a bargain compared to old toyotas, datsuns, mazdas, fords etc

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been looking for a fun, semi-project car for a little while and I am considering buying this: http://klasycznysalon.com/auto/bmw-e28-528i/

Went over the car with a trusted mechanic and technically it is in good nick - there are no significant leaks, but I would replace some of the gaskets anyway. The aircon doesn't work that well and the eletric windows stopped working, but the body is totally rust free and only has some fixed damage on the left doors.

Is the e28 such a huge money sink? Not planning on daily driving this, and the interior is going to need a little money to get it looking good, however given the condition of the engine it seems like a good buy.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So, the brown e30 will pull a fender on an S50 swapped e30 and lost by a car to an M62 swapped car. This is with a high compression M52 on S52 cams. Tuned only for M50 manifold - still needs a dyno tune!

I think some of the weight reduction I've got is going a long way. I wouldn't be surprised if the car was under 2500lbs

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cross-posting from my project thread: the place I ordered the Molnar S54 rods from is out of stock, and it appears that everybody (including Molnar) in North America is, too. I'd like to avoid a 3-4wk wait for manufacturing.

Anybody have an opinion on the SP S54 rods that VAC carries? Or, anybody know a vendor that actually has stock on the Molnar S54 rods? I can't really justify Arrow or Carrillo rods at their $1,500-$1,900 price point.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Got to visit the BMW CCA foundation in SC

Also some other misc brodeo photos

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Jinx posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been looking for a fun, semi-project car for a little while and I am considering buying this: http://klasycznysalon.com/auto/bmw-e28-528i/

Went over the car with a trusted mechanic and technically it is in good nick - there are no significant leaks, but I would replace some of the gaskets anyway. The aircon doesn't work that well and the eletric windows stopped working, but the body is totally rust free and only has some fixed damage on the left doors.

Is the e28 such a huge money sink? Not planning on daily driving this, and the interior is going to need a little money to get it looking good, however given the condition of the engine it seems like a good buy.

If you care about aircon keep in mind e28s use R12 and from what I understand R134 conversion is expensive, if you can even do that anymore.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:lol: I just found out that I haven't had power steering since I bought my e36 last summer. I just thought it was a bit tougher to steer due to age and / or the car. I actually prefer it the way it is because I like the tension when steering. (I've driven cars with out power steering and they were much more difficult that this)

The mechanic that did my pre-inspection apparently missed this (or it started just after) and now my power steering reservoir has been flooded and leaking and my new mechanic is positive that the previous owner didn't use the correct fluid. :sigh:

I'm just happy outside of this that he said this is one of the best maintained M3s he's seen given the age. So just valve gasket cover, serpentine and power steering. Tho he's not sure what exactly it is. I'm happy to replace all of it so we're starting with the lines and flush. I hope not the pump, but I wonder if I can refurb that myself with new gaskets.

I can't wait to see how this car drives with power steering.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Crustashio posted:

If you care about aircon keep in mind e28s use R12 and from what I understand R134 conversion is expensive, if you can even do that anymore.

My friend charged his E30 with R152a and it worked fine until the car got written off. I'm not sure if anything needed to be changed besides using different oil, though. He made it sound pretty straightforward.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My e28 was converted to r134a before I bought it in 2015

It could actually be fine, e28 AC is notorious for being underpowered

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I converted my old e30 to 134a and it worked fine until the ac clutch got smoked when it didn't release at WOT on an onramp.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
My 1992 BMW 735il electrical issues are driving me nuts, and I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered something similar.
When I turn on my headlights at night, the Right Rear night-time running tail-light, doesn't illuminate.
It's not the bulb, I replaced it. It's not the socket, I replaced it. It's not the tail-light assembly itself as far as I can tell, because all the other lights work fine.

I read all the reports of the Mustard Relay failure being responsible for light issues like this. All the indicators fit my situation.

I bought the replacement Audi/VW version of the mustard relay that E32 users commonly replace with as a cheaper option than the BMW mustard relay. Here it is-part number 447959875 (electric window control by Hella) It's supposed to serve as a cheaper direct fit.

I noticed that the prongs on the VW version are different than the stock relay that is in the mustard relay's position currently:

Regardless, I gave the replacement relay a shot and nothing changed. Still the same tail-light being inoperative.
Here's the board in my 1992 BMW 735il-

And this is the empty spot that I put the new replacement relay in-

Is that even the right spot for the replacement relay?? There's so many different pictures and colors of relays online, it's hard to tell if I'm even using the right relay slot. In any case- the prongs connect and slide in easily enough- just that there's no change in the tail-lights condition, it stays unlit.

I'm out of options and at my wit's end here as to how to fix this light myself without having to take it to the shop. I know the Audi/VW replacement part maybe not perfect, so I also ordered the stock OEM BMW expensive part as well. More expensive, but it's in the mail on the way.

I really don't see why the VW relay wouldn't work though. I think I'm missing something here. Can anyone please give me some options here as to how I might fix this? Thanks so much for any help.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If the pin outs on the relay are different, it won't work.
That mustard relay pin out looks pretty generic, I think they're common in au for headlights and even aftermarket efi systems for fuel pumps etc.
Standard automotive relay looks like this:

sometimes they will have an extra spade in the middle called 87a for normally closed contacts but that's for things that need feedback, not for just switching things on and off.
If colonel mustard is the 4 spade relay (ie didn't mix the photos up), it's only a matter of finding out what pin outs you need as they often get jumbled around by various manufacturers. E: 85, 86, 87 and 30 all need to be in the exact same place. You can see from my pic and your pic that the terminals are not in the standard places.

At worst you may need to unpick the wires from the plug in base/recepticle and swap them around which isn't a big job but label them first or have a wiring diagram with wire colour codes before you go start unpicking them
But first try get one with the same pinout from an autoparts or electronics store. Electronic store might be easier because you may be able to easily browse online catalogues with data.
2e: Actually first job would be checking the coil resistance between 85 and 86 with a multimeter, and then checking if there's power to 30. If that's good maybe there's nothing wrong with the relay?
Also I know a few 535i e34 guys have mentioned the wiring loom in the trunk gets broken and causes tail light, license plate light and boot light problems.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 8, 2017

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Where in the hell do you clip a garage door opener in a Z4? It's distracting on the visor, and the signal is blocked when I keep it in the door pocket. Probably the dumbest question ever asked in this thread. There is zero loving free space in this car.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Fo3 posted:

If the pin outs on the relay are different, it won't work.
Well I guess I'm poo poo out of luck until my BMW oem relay arrives from Germany...next week =(

I've definitely got the pins in the right places at least, I was able to discern that from diagrams. I guess not that it helps, if there's an extra prong fouling it up.

Fo3 posted:

At worst you may need to unpick the wires from the plug in base/recepticle and swap them around which isn't a big job but label them first or have a wiring diagram with wire colour codes before you go start unpicking them
But first try get one with the same pinout from an autoparts or electronics store. Electronic store might be easier because you may be able to easily browse online catalogues with data.
2e: Actually first job would be checking the coil resistance between 85 and 86 with a multimeter, and then checking if there's power to 30. If that's good maybe there's nothing wrong with the relay?
Also I know a few 535i e34 guys have mentioned the wiring loom in the trunk gets broken and causes tail light, license plate light and boot light problems.

I have been advised to use the electrical manual from https://www.e38.org/e32 and a voltemeter to check out some of this stuff you're speaking of. I've never done anything electrical related with vehicle maintenance before, so I'll explore slowly.

This is what the wiring loom looks like:

I inspected them and they seem to be doing okay.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Lincoln posted:

Where in the hell do you clip a garage door opener in a Z4? It's distracting on the visor, and the signal is blocked when I keep it in the door pocket. Probably the dumbest question ever asked in this thread. There is zero loving free space in this car.

I clip mine on the visor. Doesn't really bother me there. :shrug:

Is yours a drop or fixed-head? I think the windshields are identical so it shouldn't matter, but mine's a coupe.

Also it probably won't have a garage door opener in it for much longer with the loving project it's turned into :lol:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HandlingByJebus posted:

I clip mine on the visor. Doesn't really bother me there. :shrug:

Is yours a drop or fixed-head? I think the windshields are identical so it shouldn't matter, but mine's a coupe.

Also it probably won't have a garage door opener in it for much longer with the loving project it's turned into :lol:

What's the point of spending all that money if you're not going to drive it? :getin:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Raluek posted:

What's the point of spending all that money if you're not going to drive it? :getin:

Oh, I'll drive it. It just won't have visors, and the garage door opener will be in the truck hauling the trailer. :getin:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Lincoln posted:

I kept mine on the left side of the passenger visor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Out of sight.

Crackheads love garage door openers, and there's usually a little slip of paper somewhere close that tells them where the garage it opens is.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FortifiedTumor posted:

Hooray, I can finally legally comment in this thread. Picked up the M2 I mentioned a little while ago in this thread.

This was at BMW Welt in Munich. Great time; first time I was buying a car and the guy explaining things to me knew more about the car than I did. Went and did the museum and what not as well; I'm sure anything in there can be found out by a better source than me.

Car is great driving. I can't go over 106 mph until I get done with the 1200 mile service. But it was perfectly capable at those speeds on the autobahn. I'm not sure white is the best color for this car but I don't like flashy cars so it's probably the best color for me.

The only negative thing is the car came with Continental tires. I thought they were all coming Michelin Pilot Super Sports but the guy who was showing me my car said it can come with either. I would have preferred the Michelins... just my own preference.

poo poo is beautiful, congrats.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Powershift posted:

Out of sight.

Crackheads love garage door openers, and there's usually a little slip of paper somewhere close that tells them where the garage it opens is.

You know, I never considered this. I always take my opener with me when I park at the airport, for that exact reason...someone breaks into your car and has access to your entire house while you're on vacation. I suppose it's an everyday possibility now that I drive a convertible. I guess I'll keep it in the central storage compartment when the top's down (it locks when the doors are locked). Glove compartment is actually appropriately named, as that's pretty much all it will hold: a glove. That's why it's not called a gloves compartment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You mean the potato box?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

Out of sight.

Bingo. We had a rash of thefts in our neighborhood last summer, a lot of stuff from people going through their garage. We live in what would be considered a "nice" area; and when people have their cars parked in front of their house during the day windows are rolled down and/or not locked and people just swipe the remotes. Come back later at night drive up and down streets pushing every button hoping for a winner. Most garage door openers have a "lock" button that disables the garage. It is part of our nightly routine that we lock both of my garage doors and set the alarms for the cars even parked in the garage. Additionally nice is my cars have the homelink thingies built into the visor/mirror so I don't have a remote in them.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I saw a 2014 335i xdrive grand tourismo. $30k 18000 miles. What do you guys think?

I was looking for a fast wagon but car makers are getting rid of them or they are obscenely expensive, so a 4 door hatchback is the next best thing in theory.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2 tons of fuckin ugly

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the general consensus is "do you live in an area where you need AWD? If not, don't get x-drive."

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The 3 and 5 series GT's should have been aborted on the drawing board. I only believe they made it to production because manufacturers these days just crank out as many models as they can.

They're supremely ugly but I guess if you like it, it's your money.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The proportions do look a bit odd, but my Dad has a 335xi GT, and it works really well as a road trip car. There's definitely more backseat space than my 335 sedan, and you can fit quite a bit in the back.

The downsides are that it's nowhere near as sporty, given the longer wheelbase. I'm probably a little biased since I have M Sport brakes, but the stock brakes on the GT are a bit underwhelming. You can fix that with the M Performance brake kit if you're feeling it.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

2 tons of fuckin ugly

If I let ugly stop me from buying a car I wouldn't buy anything made after 1979.

Edit

Yeah the reviews complained about the breaks in particular.

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 10, 2017

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mean, they still work fine, and my Dad didn't notice until I made him drive my car. The result was I needed to hit his brakes harder, and when he drove my car, we came to a complete and sudden stop. :D Driving the two cars back to back is surreal, they're so similar and yet different in just about every way.

I think the M Performance set new is ~$1300ish, plus a bit of coding to tell the car it has them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

White Phosphorus posted:

I saw a 2014 335i xdrive grand tourismo. $30k 18000 miles. What do you guys think?

I was looking for a fast wagon but car makers are getting rid of them or they are obscenely expensive, so a 4 door hatchback is the next best thing in theory.

I am about to list my 535xiT wagon.... it's a few years older but it's a real wagon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-bmw-m5-7/

:flashfap: