Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fifty Three posted:

Like... stars?

Yes, but it's a libertarian star that could only be achieved through capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rigged Death Trap posted:

...My personal problem with it is that the project driving this push into space is in part a vanity project, and the other part a for profit venture.

And also the technocratic worhip of "great visionaries", when really the most he did was foot the bill. Call me a pessimistic grump but I dont believe that sort of thought is sustainable.

I choose to believe that most people who bother to think about the state of humanity's future, think we're in trouble. Climate change, resource exhaustion, population pressure - these can lead to potentially species-ending scenarios. I consider those a lot more of an issue that the problems a lot of people tend to focus on - people like Bill Gates, an individual with tremendous resources who is working to better the situation of large groups of people, but without bettering the situation of the species as a whole. I think of it as the difference between raising the floor and raising the roof.

I don't agree with your assessment of Musk, but then again I don't particularly care about Musk's drives. IF Elon Musk was a narcissistic, profit-hungry, image-conscious, high-functioning sociopath I still wouldn't care; it doesn't matter if his motivations are altruistic or entirely selfish because he's delivering on technologies and capabilities that are necessary for humanity to start filling in the hole we've dug for ourselves, and quite possibly freeing us from being locked into the Earth as our only source of resources. Our governments aren't doing it, other companies* aren't doing it, and 99.9999% of private individuals don't have the resources to do it. Tesla and SpaceX are doing it, and it's serving as a bellwether for other companies and government bodies to follow along.

*There are other companies out there with leaders who share his vision but not his drive and ability. Planetary Resources is one I've been following since their inception in 2010/2011, which has an objective of mining asteroids. So far they've managed to make a few satellites that point back at Earth and to spend a lot of money in doing so.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

SH owns when they aren't trolling their readers with stanced Ferraris

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fifty Three posted:

Like... stars?

Or any number of other satellites let alone the ISS. Iridum flares are pretty cool, and some are so bright they can be seen in broad daylight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BlackMK4 posted:

The dude puts money where his mouth is, I can't fault him in the least. He's out there doing poo poo that we should be doing as an entire race.

This. He's making progress. He's doing the poo poo science fiction tells us we should have already done. If he makes money in the process, more power to him, but I get the impression that he's not in it for the money. Government certainly isn't stepping up to give us space travel and habitats, electric cars, and fast reliable mass transit.
If I had a kajillion dollars and the ability to organize, sell, and otherwise promote, I'd be trying to make utopian sci-fi a reality as well.

It's like everyone's grumpy that he's successful at it. Do you prefer a Blade Runner future, or is it that you think that's where Musk is headed? Genuinely curious.

The Prong Song posted:

It's kind of funny you feel that way because Elon Musk is the mad(ish) devil-may-care inventor/entrepreneur I grew up reading about in scifi books from the 60s and 70s.

Same. You said it better.

Also, not only was it a test of the rocket, but they went on to test whether they could hit the heliocentric orbit they wanted. I imagine that's a lot better to do with an unimportant payload than a multimillion-dollar project, especially since they missed the intended orbit. It was a *test* launch, with a *test* payload, and a *test* mission. If I owned a car company as well as a rocket company, you bet I'd be putting one of my cars into orbit. Good advertising, and much more interesting than, say, some generic object.

Again, better said than I could put it.
FWIW, it could be argued that Apple refined and perfected existing products. They certainly figured out what consumers wanted, at least with respect to mobile devices, or were very good at making consumers want what they built. And Jobs was definitely a charismatic salesman. The Jobs Reality Distortion Field was a real thing.

IOwnCalculus posted:

We do not need a recreation of the Pleiades using genuine Subaru parts.

Or do we...

I think we do.

InitialDave posted:

There's a good anime, Planetes, which is about space debris cleanup.

Dammit, I didn't need another thing to watch.

God drat.
That is beautiful.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Larrymer posted:

As a Detroiter, I don't really agree with your perception. Tesla is only able to make it "work" because it's a luxury vehicle and can charge more, despite them still never making any money doing it. From a business perspective, you can understand how to any corporation (which are designed to make money and bring profit to shareholders) that this is a bit of a hard sell especially after the bankruptcies.

However, everyone knows it's the future of propulsion and there's a ton of money being invested in it currently. But to make them cheap and affordable (and not be a loss for the automaker) for everyone like a Model 3 or Bolt is still difficult. They sell in small enough numbers that the losses aren't huge, and the R&D will eventually pay off. For the short term, fossil fuel is still king so it's a dual path at this point. Eventually EVs will overtake them, it's just going to be a few years out.

The other thing Tesla did right was making an electric car that looked like something that people would actually want to buy. Even now most electric cars still don't look great, but at least there's more options besides Melted Plastic blob or Solid Wedge.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

slidebite posted:

Or any number of other satellites let alone the ISS. Iridum flares are pretty cool, and some are so bright they can be seen in broad daylight.
Iridium flares won't be around much longer. The Iridium NEXT sats don't have the huge reflective panels, so as they get replaced there are fewer and fewer flares. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Dammit, I didn't need another thing to watch.
There's a manga, if you'd rather read. But anyway, while it still hits a few of the usual anime tropes, it's pretty firm sci-fi, and also has some salient socio-political points regarding who goes to space and why.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish Musk had fired some of our posters into space.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Flamethrowers, bro

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They couldn't have done multiple burns with the second stage regardless of fuel btw; it doesn't have any solar panels and the batteries ran out a few hours after the Earth escape burn.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

There's a manga, if you'd rather read. But anyway, while it still hits a few of the usual anime tropes, it's pretty firm sci-fi, and also has some salient socio-political points regarding who goes to space and why.

I saw that. I have even less time to read, unfortunately. I can multitask, a little, while watching most things.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I’d almost volunteer, even knowing I would come back, just because there’s pretty much no other way I’ll get to go up before I die. I wonder if life insurance would cover that? Would it be considered suicide?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

The dude puts money where his mouth is, I can't fault him in the least. He's out there doing poo poo that we should be doing as an entire race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

Keeps running through my head.

MLKs been dead for 50 years and we ain't accomplished poo poo "as a race"

...Except for LeBlanc's dreamy smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21IENsHuNA

Edit: that was way too confrontational. All I meant was that disappointment with not having fusion-powered self-driving flying cars should be tempered by dissapointment that people still get polio in the world.

And new TopGear at least makes good teasers still.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 8, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHb8iT1nrc

VW Lupo with two W12 engines, anyone?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Prong Song posted:

Also, The Worlds Fastest Car should be back around Earth in Feb of 2030. I said to some coworkers that it'd be amazing if SpaceX planned a mission to retrieve it when it's back around. Ambitious, yes, but 12 years to plan and pull it off? And think of the publicity.

There won't be much left to retrieve, radiation will destroy everything that's not metal in short order.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like by then tho.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jonny Nox posted:

Edit: that was way too confrontational. All I meant was that disappointment with not having fusion-powered self-driving flying cars should be tempered by dissapointment that people still get polio in the world.

*nods*

The past had such rosey dreams of the future and look at what we're loving doing to each other still. :(

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Does that rear engine have actual mounts or just zip-ties?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*nods*

The past had such rosey dreams of the future and look at what we're loving doing to each other still. :(

An electric supercar is on its way to the asteroid belt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol musk sucks you guys why would you whinge over a single one of these stupid billionaires who absolutely do not care about you at all

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/musk-slams-union-drive-in-email-to-employees?utm_term=.ibgpkpmq8#.vy3LOL4Yo

quote:

In addition to defending Tesla's record as an employer, Musk told workers that he plans to improve life at the Tesla factory, which is currently in the process of switching over its lines for production of the Model 3. For example, when the Model 3 reaches "volume production," Musk said he'll throw them "a really amazing party."

"There will also be little things that come along like free frozen yogurt stands scattered around the factory and my personal favorite: a Tesla electric pod car roller coaster (with an optional loop the loop route, of course!) that will allow fast and fun travel throughout our Fremont campus, dipping in and out of the factory and connecting all the parking lots," Musk wrote. "It’s going to get crazy good."

:what:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So just like every CEO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Musk is like Tesla. Both were brilliant, but good gods their cults need to gently caress off.

Also Edison is getting the last laugh right now. There's only one object in my room at the moment that actually is AC internally, and that's an AC power supply.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

musk loving sucks AND space-x is cool

makes ya think

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

lol musk sucks you guys why would you whinge over a single one of these stupid billionaires who absolutely do not care about you at all

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/musk-slams-union-drive-in-email-to-employees?utm_term=.ibgpkpmq8#.vy3LOL4Yo

:what:

Exactly like every other CEO or cult of personality surrounding them but for some reason people get real mad that Musk does rockets or electric cars. It's just weirdly misplaced eye rolling that goons always do for anything popular.
I don't know of any other billionaires doing space things, usually they are just content to sell iPhones or "run" countries but those hot takes aren't goony enough anymore so people just :smuggo: about Musk instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
richard branson, off hand

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, almost all electric cars are DC, due to the nature of batteries, with a drive that uses IGBTs to make an "AC" signal to drive the motors (I only say almost because I don't know if there's any DC motor cars).

It's been used in locomotives since the 90s to do the same thing since AC traction motors were more reliable and cheaper in the long run.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Model 3 is apparently DC motor.

Part of me is wondering what you could do for power density with an AC induction motor that used some special stuff for the laminations and pumped coolant through the rotor in addition to the stator.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's really... dumb if you ask me. AC motors are more reliable than a DC motor, but have a higher initial cost, unless they're using brushless DC anyway. AC controlled by IGBTs are the way to go these days because you get a lot more control over it than simply throwing an AC wave on it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It's almost definitely brushless.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iospace posted:

Also Edison is getting the last laugh right now. There's only one object in my room at the moment that actually is AC internally, and that's an AC power supply.

AC still wins for power distribution, aka the thing Edison and Tesla were fighting over.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Enourmo posted:

AC still wins for power distribution, aka the thing Edison and Tesla were fighting over.

Yes and no. I'll effort post about that when not on my phone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It'd be kind of funny if some other car company shoots a truck into space and manages to hit the Tesla when it's making the return journey.

Yes yes, space is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE blah blah. If Luke Skywalker can hit an exhaust port then somebody can shoot an F-150 into it's path.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress flamethrowers, I want my god drat power loader

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Enourmo posted:

Ok, AC wins on power distribution on two fronts:

1. Less loss at lower voltages than DC at the currents needed for power distribution. Current splits across parallel circuits, but remains the same on a series one, so the 120VAC line on the pole along your street has significantly higher current than what actually goes into your house.
2. The ability to be easily stepped up and down. This is crucial because a higher voltage has less loss due to resistance than a lower one, assuming the power (wattage) is the same. However, at sufficiently high voltages, DC loses less than AC, more on this later.

It was #1 that drove AC's success in becoming the dominant form of electricity we have today. If they could transmit a low-voltage DC line without significant losses, Edison would have won the day. AC also has this problem, but it's not as significant, and because of #2, can be offset by jacking the voltage up really high (into the kilovolt range).

However, as stated, when the voltage is sufficiently high, DC will lose less power over the same distance compared to AC (I don't know the break even point). This is due to a couple factors, namely the line on an AC circuit turning into a giant capacitor (it's much, much worse on underwater and underground lines, to the point where you can only go a certain distance with AC before it becomes impossible to use), and the skin effect, or the moving electrons moving to the outer part of the conductor as they flow along it. The skin effect is why when you have really high voltage lines you see several conductors bundled together. It's to reduce this. Long distance lines with very, very low potential to be tapped midway through in the future are potentially HVDC lines.

HVDC also has the advantage of getting away with a more narrow conductor than HVAC (because of no skin effect), and only needs two lines, a charged line and a return line, as opposed to AC's three (which are all charged but 120 degrees out of phase with each other).

The long and short of it, AC wins because of it's ability to be dropped to residential voltages without complex equipment. HVDC is useful for underwater and underground lines, extremely long distance transmission, and dealing with unsynchronized grids, such as Japan who has a 60hz and 50hz grid that splits midway through the country.

:eng101:

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 10, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
IIRC isn't HVDC also useful for large manufacturing/metalworking plants, like aluminum foundries, or large-scale small-component manufacturing zones due to power factor?

I could swear I read something (though be damned if I could find it right now) about how HVDC was being used for power supply to industrial parks, then converted on-site, to reduce the losses due to poor power factor of...something. Because if we had to pay for used energy due to poor power factor, a lot of consumers would be hosed due to lovely switching power supplies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

IIRC isn't HVDC also useful for large manufacturing/metalworking plants, like aluminum foundries, or large-scale small-component manufacturing zones due to power factor?

I could swear I read something (though be damned if I could find it right now) about how HVDC was being used for power supply to industrial parks, then converted on-site, to reduce the losses due to poor power factor of...something. Because if we had to pay for used energy due to poor power factor, a lot of consumers would be hosed due to lovely switching power supplies.

Yes, HVDC doesn't have the power factor, which is a formula involving the angle between the real power and "reactive power" (which is the "power" drawn by the inductive and capacitive elements on a circuit). A higher absolute value of the power factor is really bad, because you're being charged for power you're really not using. A power factor of 0, which a HVDC circuit would have, means you're paying the lowest you can.

That, and as stated upthread, it's much easier to control a motor with a drive that turns a DC signal into an "AC" signal with IGBTs, which a lot of factories do.

Oh, and we do pay for energy used for the poor power factor. It is possible to adjust it with significant amounts of capacitors and inductors, but good luck figuring out what yours is, and it changes based on what you're running.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

iospace posted:

Yes, HVDC doesn't have the power factor, which is a formula involving the angle between the real power and "reactive power" (which is the "power" drawn by the inductive and capacitive elements on a circuit). A higher absolute value of the power factor is really bad, because you're being charged for power you're really not using. A power factor of 0, which a HVDC circuit would have, means you're paying the lowest you can.

This is backwards; power factor should be as close to 1 as possible, as it is (simplified) useful power out/power in. Maybe you mean, like, phase angle?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unreal_One posted:

This is backwards; power factor should be as close to 1 as possible, as it is (simplified) useful power out/power in. Maybe you mean, like, phase angle?

Right, swapped my sine and cosines. Close to 1 as possible.

(I hated AC circuits, for the record)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm retired and also bad at history, but I thought AC won out because back when electricity was first rolling out it was simpler/cheaper to put out AC since the generators were putting it out without conversion and the only thing people were running was electric lights that didn't care about AC power since it was a hot filament back then. The noisiest dirtiest cheapest AC power would be the same as the cleanest most filtered most expensive DC power.

Also here's an electric mini-truck you can buy right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/253413315231?rmvSB=true

It's not running, but I love electric conversions of old cars. Old drivetrain kind of crappy? I've got a solution for you!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is also true. Incandescent lights don't care about AC or DC power. They're just heating elements that just happen to produce light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

craig588 posted:

I'm retired and also bad at history, but I thought AC won out because back when electricity was first rolling out it was simpler/cheaper to put out AC since the generators were putting it out without conversion and the only thing people were running was electric lights that didn't care about AC power since it was a hot filament back then. The noisiest dirtiest cheapest AC power would be the same as the cleanest most filtered most expensive DC power.

Also here's an electric mini-truck you can buy right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/253413315231?rmvSB=true

It's not running, but I love electric conversions of old cars. Old drivetrain kind of crappy? I've got a solution for you!

IIRC, it was more complicated than just the engineering. Edison envisioned community-based power generation, with many small DC generating plants dispersed throughout a city. This rendered the issue of long-distance transmission losses moot.

Tesla and Westinghouse foresaw huge power plants generating electricity far from cities and moving it hundreds of miles. This necessitated AC.

Reality settled the issue. People didn't like Edison's neighborhood power generation concept. Air pollution was bad enough already and adding hundreds more coal-burning sites didn't sit well. Meanwhile, Tesla and Westinghouse tamed Niagara Falls to provide cheap and clean electricity for much of New York state. Their solution proved superior in almost every way and carried the day.