Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eschaton posted:

do Windows computers not yet support Internet recovery?

on a modern Mac you can hold down a couple keys at boot, start the OS over WiFi or Ethernet from a publicly-accessible Internet service, and use that to get to a factory-fresh state

it's like booting a workstation via TFTP except done in a way normal human beings can manage

no, because internet recovery on os x is basically it downloading a recovery partition for your model of computer and then running that

in order to get that to work on windows you'd need:

- Firmware level support of this feature (also true in OS X since some models don't support it)

- either a standardized recovery partition or a list of specialized partitions for each model, or both as in an HP recovery partition, a Dell recovery partition, etc (good luck with that)

- the ability to care enough to host all of this and the bandwidth costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

would not be surprised if ballmer already hired Kanye to do just that and set up the tweet

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

no, because internet recovery on os x is basically it downloading a recovery partition for your model of computer and then running that

in order to get that to work on windows you'd need:

- Firmware level support of this feature (also true in OS X since some models don't support it)

- either a standardized recovery partition or a list of specialized partitions for each model, or both as in an HP recovery partition, a Dell recovery partition, etc (good luck with that)

- the ability to care enough to host all of this and the bandwidth costs

Still feels like an achievable goal on manufactured PC's. Bandwidth is cheaper than Fedex in most parts of the world where this would matter, and it's not like this would take any more effort to curate than some people put into their cat GIF tumblr's.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
hiya asus just load this windows-installing firmware on every mobo thanks
hiya european union ugh just shut up who cares if it's anti-trust it's a neat feature

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
best you could probs hope for is a bootable usb/cd that'll download the full install

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tons of them already come with a factory recovery partition (including macs), they would essentially just be hosting that on a server somewhere and preloading the url into UEFI. doesn't seem that hard.

e: or even just having a flash chip on the board with the install image. how much is 8GB these days?

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 14, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Enough that someone's getting an unreasonably large bonus by keeping it off of ten million units sold?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

either option would cost money and their margins are razor thin, thats why they use the basically free partition option. who cares if it's useless when the hdd inevitably dies.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sudo Echo posted:

either option would cost money and their margins are razor thin, thats why they use the basically free partition option. who cares if it's useless when the hdd inevitably dies.

Pretty much; they figure it's after the warranty and therefore not their problem.

You probably want copies of your stuff stored on more than just your documents folder and a somebody else's problem server.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Project AIX: Using Minecraft to build more intelligent technology

lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

it was cooler with mario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DON'T WORK FOR FREE

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my laptop is here, and its so pretty

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

what a white-rear end response

imagine kanye asks you if he can redesign something for you

only the whitest most ignorant motherfucker isn't going to immediately say "yes"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

horse mans posted:

what a white-rear end response

imagine kanye asks you if he can redesign something for you

only the whitest most ignorant motherfucker isn't going to immediately say "yes"

white people also think he shouldn't have spoken up for beyonce at the vmas, if you ever wonder who wrong white people can be at all times

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it would be kanye wearing a kanye hat

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sudo Echo posted:

tons of them already come with a factory recovery partition (including macs), they would essentially just be hosting that on a server somewhere and preloading the url into UEFI. doesn't seem that hard.

yeah but why would microsoft specifically do this

and if they don't, how do you insure that the OEMs do it

and even if they do, you'll need a special UEFI since the hardware is generic by design

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

white people also think he shouldn't have spoken up for beyonce at the vmas, if you ever wonder who wrong white people can be at all times

also your posting history

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

you should be able to get the 1511 build iso if you use the iso creator from inside of windows 10

how do?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

check if you're on it first

cmd -> winver

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

check if you're on it first

cmd -> winver

version 1511, build 10586.164

and then just use the "create USB recovery"

thing is, I don't really want to bring any of the bloatware over on to a fresh install

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont worry it comes preinstalled with windows

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

dont worry it comes preinstalled with windows

:negative:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jfc microsoft

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
hmm yes, I want my spreadsheet program to "pop" otherwise i can't be productive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

jfc microsoft

yeah why is "classic" even an option?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Looks more OS X I guess?

Valeyard posted:

version 1511, build 10586.164

and then just use the "create USB recovery"

thing is, I don't really want to bring any of the bloatware over on to a fresh install

Media Creation Tool doesn't care. It should make a clean image.

Go to the MCT page in Not Windows and it'll give you a Technet ISO.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

:laffo:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ballmer doesn't work for ms
anymore and still has a windows logo for he twitter av?

lomarf

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

lomarf

he's still their biggest shareholder

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Chris Knight posted:

lomarf

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

jfc microsoft

this gives me the impression microsoft is just completely overwhelmed by the concepts of design and aesthetic and after hours of heated debates in the office and focus groups they decided to make it a setting and ship it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

he's still their biggest shartholder

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

lomarf

he also sells Windows Enterprise Solutions to people as a side gig i think

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

this gives me the impression microsoft is just completely overwhelmed by the concepts of design and aesthetic and after hours of heated debates in the office and focus groups they decided to make it a setting and ship it.

They didn't just make a setting! They made the setting a mandatory startup step.

And you just know that the settings were originally "Colourful" and "Classic", where classic was just all grey, but then branding got involved and forced them to make the footer green.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

They didn't just make a setting! They made the setting a mandatory startup step.

what this typically means is that their original intent was to do "colorful" by default but when they showed it to customers most of them hated it so instead of course correcting they did this dialog, if it had tested well or at least not incredibly poorly it would have been the default and you'd go into some settings panel to change it to classic

the goal is for in 9 months they can go "95% of people are selecting colorful" and get rid of the dialog [or maybe even classic mode altogether]

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, w10 home is fine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Valeyard posted:

gently caress it, w10 home is fine

it is.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft announced cross-platform play between xbox one and other platforms, like ps4 or pc!!!!! https://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

oh but it has some minor caveats, like

quote:

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature,
also the new xna is called MonoGame and it still isn't out yet so just be patient while they port a year-old ps4 sidescroller to it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if the bone wasn't doing so badly this would be a bold new front in the console wars but as it stands this is merely implicit confirmation that platform exclusivity is now a net minus as multiplayer game populations dwindle on the xbox

• Locked thread