Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

itskage posted:

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:confused:

Also I don't know if that's how I would phrase their voices, but they sound like that if you're a dude too...

I don't think they've even met Aymeric yet.

e: Says it was 2.4 he's introduced. But I don't remember how much has happened with him at that point.

I've seen a fair amount of Ayemric, actually. He's pretty extensively involved in the last couple chapters of 2.X. And yes, I know Ayemric and Haurchefant's dialogue don't change if you're a dude but either way I don't care for how much it felt like they were both blatantly hitting on my character without any option to tell them my PC isn't interested.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

ARR is the weakest part of XIV, but I will defend to the death the Ultima Weapon boss fight being the culmination of your shift from adventurer to Warrior of Light.

Oh, I like the Ultima Weapon boss fight. Praetorium would be pretty good in my books if not for a certain guy in red armor with a massive inferiority complex who never loving shuts up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nodosaur posted:

I must be the only one for why Merlwyb is their least favorite city leader.

You better be. Til sea swallows all :colbert:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I like the Ultima Weapon boss fight. Praetorium would be pretty good in my books if not for a certain guy in red armor with a massive inferiority complex who never loving shuts up. :v:

The wrongest opinion. Nero is a goddamn treasure.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Imagine if the boring as gently caress Doma adventure party included Nero.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Every team needs a sarcastic rear end in a top hat throwing shade on all the doe eyed optimism of the protagonists.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, i didn't warm up to Nero until after he came back from his little venture into the darkness.

Why is the drop rate on current content trial mounts so ridiculous? I'm at 30 Susano totems now and have seen it drop once. I've actually been in a group with a dude who ended up collecting his 99th totem, and had only seen it drop twice in that time. That's like a 2% drop chance.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

HenryEx posted:

To be fair, i didn't warm up to Nero until after he came back from his little venture into the darkness.

Why is the drop rate on current content trial mounts so ridiculous? I'm at 30 Susano totems now and have seen it drop once. I've actually been in a group with a dude who ended up collecting his 99th totem, and had only seen it drop twice in that time. That's like a 2% drop chance.

That's what it's always been. So when you're farming it, there's a 2% chance of it dropping and a 12.5% chance of you winning the roll if it does. So every run you have a 1 in 200 chance of getting it. That's a bit too stingy in my opinion.

They always increase the drop chance at the same time they let you buy it for 99 totems, so it's better to wait to farm it until then I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

The short answer is "to keep people playing the game" because even though we enjoy FFXIV it's still an MMO and they have to apply the Skinner box stuff somewhere. On the bright side, a lot of other MMOs would have that drop rate or worse but with no totems to mitigate RNG. :shepicide:

Cythereal posted:

Nero is basically an anime-villain-turned-begrudging-goodguy and is great at his job. He just needed to be clowned on first by Goku the WoL so that he could turn. Be sure to do the Crystal Tower and Omega sidequests as they come up!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

Nero is basically an anime-villain-turned-begrudging-goodguy and is great at his job. He just needed to be clowned on first by Goku the WoL so that he could turn. Be sure to do the Crystal Tower and Omega sidequests as they come up!

Right now all I've seen of Nero is that he's a whiny baby who can't handle that he just isn't as smart or cool as [insert author insert here]. That is not the makings of a compelling character. Hopefully that will change, I'm working on unlocking Syrcus in between grinding AST up to HW levels.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cythereal posted:

Right now all I've seen of Nero is that he's a whiny baby who can't handle that he just isn't as smart or cool as [insert author insert here]. That is not the makings of a compelling character. Hopefully that will change, I'm working on unlocking Syrcus in between grinding AST up to HW levels.

I think you misunderstood him. His whining isn’t because he’s not as smart as cid or anything else, but rather that he’s just as smart as any of the rest but doesn’t get accolades because he wasn’t raised by Gaius and wasn’t otherwise imperial royalty.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I suppose it doesn't help that the object of Nero's inferiority complex was one of the most boring ARR goodguys and also one of the few people with an even worse English VA than Minfilia. Once Nero gets over it (mostly) he's pretty great though, and the Crystal Tower series is a big part of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cid gets so much better after ARR too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think you misunderstood him. His whining isn’t because he’s not as smart as cid or anything else, but rather that he’s just as smart as any of the rest but doesn’t get accolades because he wasn’t raised by Gaius and wasn’t otherwise imperial royalty.

And I should feel sympathy why? Garleans are asshats, more news at 11.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Nero because unlike so many other bad guys who turn good, Nero kept his exact same personality. He's just pointing it at the right people. This questline better end in the WoL getting Power Ranger armor since Jessie vetoed giving us a Ironworks uniform.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

My favorite part about him is that every time he shows up to help it still annoys everyone else despite him being genuinely useful, because of his drat attitude.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but so are most of Limsa, most of Gridania and basically all of Ul'dah. There's not a lot of good people to go around in this game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the award for lovely game design goes to... requiring fates for major unlock quests. Forty five minutes running around doing fates in hopes of forcing the one I need for the quest to spawn, and no dice.

gently caress it game, you win.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 4, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It was the one in Coerthas wasn't it. That one has always been bs to spawn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

It was the one in Coerthas wasn't it. That one has always been bs to spawn.

Nope, Upper La Noscea for the Syrcus unlock.

It spawned about five minutes after I posted that. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If something isn't working for you, you just have to complain harder to fix it. That's how this game works now.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Truga posted:

If something isn't working for you, you just have to complain harder to fix it. That's how this game works now.

Years ago I bitched a lot about World of Darkness never dropping the BLM chest piece over months of farming and I stopped caring :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

You better be. Til sea swallows all :colbert:

She’s just not done anything beyond the pre-face off with Leviathan. That was cool, but she hasn’t really committed much beyond it to the overall story. At some point ya need a bit more than a single bad rear end moment and a cool personality.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

What do you mean it's not fun doing the same Primal EX fight 99 times in a row to get a mount you'll probably only use a few times? :shepicide:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i'm glad he's turned his inferiority complex into a mission of dunking on cid constantly instead

RME
Feb 20, 2012

and wearing sunglasses in dark rear end electrical storms

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What do you mean it's not fun doing the same Primal EX fight 99 times in a row to get a mount you'll probably only use a few times? :shepicide:

You don't have mounts on Random? :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And the award for lovely game design goes to... requiring fates for major unlock quests. Forty five minutes running around doing fates in hopes of forcing the one I need for the quest to spawn, and no dice.

gently caress it game, you win.

Yeah, there's a reason every other Raid series doesn't require that nonsense.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You don't have mounts on Random? :colbert:

No.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Limsa is the most technologically advanced member of the Eorzean Alliance. They could do a bit more with that. Maybe have us accompany a Lominsan scientific expedition to Meracydia or somewhere.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
lol if you don't have a hotbar dedicated to all your favorite mounts, so you always have the perfect one for the environment you're in

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nodosaur posted:

She’s just not done anything beyond the pre-face off with Leviathan. That was cool, but she hasn’t really committed much beyond it to the overall story. At some point ya need a bit more than a single bad rear end moment and a cool personality.

Kan-E-Senna doesn't have either of those things though.

Sade posted:

lol if you don't have a hotbar dedicated to all your favorite mounts, so you always have the perfect one for the environment you're in

This and also they're job-specific. Dark Knight can ride the Nidhogg bird, but the Machinist would ride the Magitek Claw.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

This and also they're job-specific. Dark Knight can ride the Nidhogg bird, but the Machinist would ride the Magitek Claw.

Black Mage has the broom

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Gridania is where most of the important Alliance decisions are made and she takes point when the story needs someone to actually be diplomatic. She’s no Raubahn, Nanamo, or Aymeric but she’s contributed a fair bit even if it’s not as a combatant. She’s the one of the big three who actually acts like a head of state most of the time.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Nodosaur posted:

Gridania is where most of the important Alliance decisions are made and she takes point when the story needs someone to actually be diplomatic. She’s no Raubahn, Nanamo, or Aymeric but she’s contributed a fair bit even if it’s not as a combatant. She’s the one of the big three who actually acts like a head of state most of the time.

The best part of Kan-E-Senna's characterization is all stuck in the Lorebook and we'll never see it on screen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Give Kan-E a break. It's hard being a leader when you're only 10 years old.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tangents posted:

what the heck alisaie

Huh, I forgot this line. I guess using glamour prisms to change the appearance of equipment is actually canonically a thing.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Philonius posted:

Every team needs a sarcastic rear end in a top hat throwing shade on all the doe eyed optimism of the protagonists.

"Why are you here Nero?"

"To gently caress with you"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vOv posted:

Huh, I forgot this line. I guess using glamour prisms to change the appearance of equipment is actually canonically a thing.

There's a short quest about it in Mor Dhona, and it comes up in the Hildibrand quest line, too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cythereal posted:

Now imagine if it was Nero's adoptive Roegadyn sister, Nera.

It actually would be a funny cutscene re-view option if you could make everyone potatoes or something.

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, Kan-e-Senna seems to be the most like an actual leader of a city-state, while Merlwyb seems to be an extremely charismatic Chief Pirate who probably has to expend almost all her energy on keeping Limsa in line, and Nanamo is like half a leader.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, Kan-e-Senna seems to be the most like an actual leader of a city-state, while Merlwyb seems to be an extremely charismatic Chief Pirate who probably has to expend almost all her energy on keeping Limsa in line, and Nanamo is like half a leader.

One of the things I've noticed most about the different city-state leaders is that Merlwyb seems to have the most competent and loyal underlings of them all. You regularly meet with the high-ranking officers and leaders of Limsa Lominsa, and they're all very competent and very personally loyal to Merlwyb. Even the new bunch of scholars running around are explicitly acting in cooperation with the Maelstrom and Yellowjackets. Plus of course the rogues, marauders, and arcanists, all of whom are important parts of how the city runs.

If someone tried to start poo poo like the Syndicate did in Ul'dah in ARR, it probably wouldn't even make it to Merlwyb's attention before the would-be coup's leaders are found dead in a ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
You literally just described the level 30 rogues quest.