Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Please don't leave out Bard as a Ewer target. If you use it while they're using Foe Requiem, you're effectively lengthening the duration of a global party/raid 3% damage increase tool. If you use it while they aren't using requiem but don't have full mp, it's like a cooldown reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cephas posted:

Bard and Monk both have abilities that proc based on landing critical hits, so they're the prime candidates for Spear. I imagine that Arrow is a really good buff for Black Mage and probably Summoner because it can help them get their spells off faster and maybe makes DoT damage occur more frequently?? For that matter Arrow is probably helpful to Samurai for setting up iaijutsu faster and Red Mage for building up their meters faster

Arrow doesn't effect DOTs at all. Which actually means that SMN is one of the worst targets for Arrow, since so much of their damage is tied up in DOTs, OGCDs and their pet.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Spell speed isn’t that great on rdm. It’s okay, but you’re almost guaranteed to have a better target for it. Dualcast negates like half of its effectiveness right out the gate.

Like, there’s a decent chance using it on yourself will yield more DPS.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wish greased lightning wasn't so distractingly visual, it's too much for me

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

Arrow doesn't effect DOTs at all. Which actually means that SMN is one of the worst targets for Arrow, since so much of their damage is tied up in DOTs, OGCDs and their pet.

Yeah, Arrow is nice on BLM. Looking at my latest O6S parse, about 25% of my damage comes from things Arrow doesn't buff (Thunder and Foul). The majority of BLM's damage comes from Fire 1/3/4.

Also I was grumpy when I started reading the lorebook and it refers to the Warrior as 'he'. At least the stories they post online give you a male/female toggle.

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 5, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mysidian Rabbit is the only dud mudra.

You say it's a dud.

I say 'Mugu Mugu' baby.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I installed Reshade yesterday so I could up my screenshot game. Anyone have any suggestions? I know there's that Stormshade thing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Do we have many people on PS4? How does it play with a controller?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
The general idea is Balance > Arrow > Spear as far as cards. It's true that BRDs and MNKs do get bonuses from crit and that BLMs and SAMs are most likely to enjoy Arrow. That being said, a player's individual ability is going to outweigh a job's compatibility with a card. It's good if you have DPS metres to know who to prioritize. Numbers wise, we know Balance is 10%, we estimate Spear to be around 5%, and Arrow is obviously in between those two bounds. Generally, even with a job that loves crit, you don't give them a Spear over a spread Balance, except in the situation in which there is also stacking of Chain Strat and Battle Litany. The difference in the cards is that great.

How to use the cards depends on 8-man or 4-man. Very generally, you only want to put Balance in Spread, immediately use Arrow, and Redraw or Royal Road anything else. In 8-mans, you want to Royal Road the Spire/Ewer. In 4-mans, you want to Royal Road the Spear. Just use the Spear if you already have a Spear Royal Road effect. The rest can be a little debatable. Overall, the job is balanced around putting out a lot of AoE DPS cards in 8-mans, and they don't really carry enough weight to make a huge difference when you only have four people around (especially with one of those four being you, since AST has dismal pDPS). So whatever you do in 4-mans with cards doesn't really matter that much. The real thing you want to get down if you want to play AST long term is the ability to make snap decisions on your Draws, and the habit to make sure Draw is always on cooldown.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

Yeah, Arrow is nice on BLM. Looking at my latest O6S parse, about 25% of my damage comes from things Arrow doesn't buff (Thunder and Foul). The majority of BLM's damage comes from Fire 1/3/4.

Also I was grumpy when I started reading the lorebook and it refers to the Warrior as 'he'. At least the stories they post online give you a male/female toggle.

The stories they put where now?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ruta posted:

The general idea is Balance > Arrow > Spear as far as cards. It's true that BRDs and MNKs do get bonuses from crit and that BLMs and SAMs are most likely to enjoy Arrow. That being said, a player's individual ability is going to outweigh a job's compatibility with a card. It's good if you have DPS metres to know who to prioritize. Numbers wise, we know Balance is 10%, we estimate Spear to be around 5%, and Arrow is obviously in between those two bounds. Generally, even with a job that loves crit, you don't give them a Spear over a spread Balance, except in the situation in which there is also stacking of Chain Strat and Battle Litany. The difference in the cards is that great.

How to use the cards depends on 8-man or 4-man. Very generally, you only want to put Balance in Spread, immediately use Arrow, and Redraw or Royal Road anything else. In 8-mans, you want to Royal Road the Spire/Ewer. In 4-mans, you want to Royal Road the Spear. Just use the Spear if you already have a Spear Royal Road effect. The rest can be a little debatable. Overall, the job is balanced around putting out a lot of AoE DPS cards in 8-mans, and they don't really carry enough weight to make a huge difference when you only have four people around (especially with one of those four being you, since AST has dismal pDPS). So whatever you do in 4-mans with cards doesn't really matter that much. The real thing you want to get down if you want to play AST long term is the ability to make snap decisions on your Draws, and the habit to make sure Draw is always on cooldown.

Interesting, thanks. I've been developing that mentality already as I've chain chugged dungeons to catch AST up to HW levels. The card deck adds an element of complexity and decision making that WHM doesn't have, and I'm enjoying it more despite the raw numbers being lower and not having Holy.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

omg chael crash posted:

It plays perfectly fine with a controller, though you'd want to pick up a keyboard at some point for chatting. Any cheap wireless one ought to do.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hell I play on PC and prefer the controller. Makes it feel more like an rpg and less of an mmo.

Vvv oh poo poo thank you!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 5, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The stories they put where now?

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_storm/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

But arrow buffs both of those, since they're on GCD?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

But arrow buffs both of those, since they're on GCD?

Having a faster GCD won't let you Foul any more often since it's on a 30 second timer. Thunder is sort of weird since Thundercloud turns the initial hit into a respectable 390 potency, but it's still a DoT either way.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah. Sorry I got confused there.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Cythereal posted:

Interesting, thanks. I've been developing that mentality already as I've chain chugged dungeons to catch AST up to HW levels. The card deck adds an element of complexity and decision making that WHM doesn't have, and I'm enjoying it more despite the raw numbers being lower and not having Holy.

Realistically you're just fishing for expanded balance and whenever you draw something that doesn't get you closer to that honestly the card might as well have dickbutt on it. It's a fun gimmick in 4-mans though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How does brd dps compare to the rest of the classes these days? I know they used to be at the bottom end of the scale, has that changed at all, or are they still kind of meh?

I’m leveling another dps, but considering my other one is red mage, I’d rather not have both my level 70 dps have low potentials for numbers. Bard is fun, though...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hra Mormo posted:

Realistically you're just fishing for expanded balance and whenever you draw something that doesn't get you closer to that honestly the card might as well have dickbutt on it. It's a fun gimmick in 4-mans though.
The Dickbutt is vital to clearing O8S, though.

Did they ban a lot of Ungarmax users or something? My FC's rude neighbors seem to have mysteriously vanished, leaving their large house in the possession of a level 60 WHM Lalafell. They did say race words at my fellows once or twice, but is this just another act of Potato Treachery?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

vOv posted:

Having a faster GCD won't let you Foul any more often since it's on a 30 second timer. Thunder is sort of weird since Thundercloud turns the initial hit into a respectable 390 potency, but it's still a DoT either way.

No, but it'll still let you get the foul and thunder casts over with faster so you can get back to spamming fire IV. And also I'm pretty sure spell speed does increase dot damage.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The raw skill and spell speed stats do affect DoT damage, but nearly every haste-like buff in the game doesn't interact with the stat directly, it just reduces the GCD itself.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Please don't fish for expanded Balance in 4-mans. Realistically, you're cutting a DPS card in half to give to two DPS jobs with a little bit of bonus for yourself and a tank. It's not a terrible use of an Ewer/Spire, but you'd be better off looking for something other than an Ewer/Spire.

The fact that there's no really great Royal Road choice in 4-mans is another of the many slights against the job. There should really just be two Royal Road effects: 200% potency single target, 50% potency AoE. The card minigame gets boring eventually, sadly. And all you're left with is a gimp rng WHM with a gimmick ability that clips the clip out of all the clipping clip.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skaw posted:

Please don't leave out Bard as a Ewer target. If you use it while they're using Foe Requiem, you're effectively lengthening the duration of a global party/raid 3% damage increase tool. If you use it while they aren't using requiem but don't have full mp, it's like a cooldown reduction.

When I'm redmaging, I prioritize Bards for Manashift (unless a healer is running on fumes) for exactly this reason. If you're gonna be a bro and give me Foe's, I'll be a bro back.

Ewer works the same way, invest in your friendly local music nerd's MP bar.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Nessus posted:

Did they ban a lot of Ungarmax users or something? My FC's rude neighbors seem to have mysteriously vanished, leaving their large house in the possession of a level 60 WHM Lalafell. They did say race words at my fellows once or twice, but is this just another act of Potato Treachery?

Yup. 9 day suspensions for Ungarmax abusers landed today, with all accounts under review for termination.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I hope they don't do anything for Warp. I've been abusing the gently caress out of it since I found out about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skaw posted:

Yup. 9 day suspensions for Ungarmax abusers landed today, with all accounts under review for termination.
Would a suspension completely remove you from the Lodestone and let a potato usurp your housing controls?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
As far as using Ewer goes, the potency is pretty bad. It has the same potency (50) of the BRD/MCH refresh, but lasts half as long and is single target. The end result is about 3k MP at level 70. I haven't done the math, but my gut tells me that's not enough MP to get enough juice out of a BRD in a 4-man situation to really be worth playing the Ewer rather than Redrawing/gambling on a Lord of Crowns.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

How does brd dps compare to the rest of the classes these days? I know they used to be at the bottom end of the scale, has that changed at all, or are they still kind of meh?

I’m leveling another dps, but considering my other one is red mage, I’d rather not have both my level 70 dps have low potentials for numbers. Bard is fun, though...

It does alright damage, but you're basically at the mercy of your group comp. No DRG, that's like 350 dps gone. Scholars, Ninjas, and Machinists also all contribute pretty heavily to your dps output. Sometimes poo poo doesn't proc so you'll do mediocre damage anyway. Movement barely even matters to you. All you do is keep your various plates spinning and hit whatever lights up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think sombody mentioned it a while back but trying to do the BRD striking dummy really makes you see how much damage you actually do and it's a little :sigh: sometimes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

its okay you make everyone around you more awesome to compensate

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ruta posted:

As far as using Ewer goes, the potency is pretty bad. It has the same potency (50) of the BRD/MCH refresh, but lasts half as long and is single target. The end result is about 3k MP at level 70. I haven't done the math, but my gut tells me that's not enough MP to get enough juice out of a BRD in a 4-man situation to really be worth playing the Ewer rather than Redrawing/gambling on a Lord of Crowns.

You're ignoring natural MP recovery and how that plays in to it. No matter what, in combat, you recover 2% of your max MP per tick. 150 seconds to get to full from zero. Refresh effects are a static amount though. An additional 600 per tick, independent from the 2%. 3k MP over 15 seconds doesn't sound like much to a healer pushing nearly 20k MP, recovering 400 naturally. But thats a huuuuuuuuge chunk to a Bard sitting at 9450, naturally recovering 190. That's getting to your next Requiem in two thirds the time.

Also, on the topic of Requiem. I really hope they just make the drat thing off global in the future. It's by far the clunkiest utility skill to use now.

Bolow posted:

It does alright damage, but you're basically at the mercy of your group comp. No DRG, that's like 350 dps gone. Scholars, Ninjas, and Machinists also all contribute pretty heavily to your dps output. Sometimes poo poo doesn't proc so you'll do mediocre damage anyway. Movement barely even matters to you. All you do is keep your various plates spinning and hit whatever lights up.

Yeah and that 350 DPS is the Dragoon just existing and doing their combo appropriately. That's not including the boosts you get from Litany and whatever Dragon Sights come your way.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 6, 2018

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

omg chael crash posted:

If you're not using a controller you're basically playing slow WoW

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ps4 version is good if you don't plan on investing in a gaming pc. Also play nier:a.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Managed to change cutscene audio. The option is a little obscure (I was looking in the audio tab but it was in the Other Settings). Thanks all.

Now I am in the business of unlocking (and queueing for) Hard mode dungeons.

On Reddit I found a post complaining about long queue times for full party trials (specifically Odin). One comment said to just open up Party Finder, put "WT" and watch as the party goes full in 5 minutes. Is that legit? I've read that you have to be 60 to unlock WT first.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, i mean, there's that one dude on reddit who was stupid enough to use ungarmax during ultimate bahamut progression; i'm not sure that everyone who tried it out for shits and giggles in satasha is going to get permabanned

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Skaw posted:

Yeah and that 350 DPS is the Dragoon just existing and doing their combo appropriately. That's not including the boosts you get from Litany and whatever Dragon Sights come your way.

We had a good DRG sub in for some o7s progression and our BRD jumped 500+ dps. They reeeaaallly want a DRG in the party.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Managed to change cutscene audio. The option is a little obscure (I was looking in the audio tab but it was in the Other Settings). Thanks all.

Now I am in the business of unlocking (and queueing for) Hard mode dungeons.

On Reddit I found a post complaining about long queue times for full party trials (specifically Odin). One comment said to just open up Party Finder, put "WT" and watch as the party goes full in 5 minutes. Is that legit? I've read that you have to be 60 to unlock WT first.

Even if you don't have WT unlocked you can unsync the fight and get people who do need it for WT.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Reiterpallasch posted:

also, i mean, there's that one dude on reddit who was stupid enough to use ungarmax during ultimate bahamut progression; i'm not sure that everyone who tried it out for shits and giggles in satasha is going to get permabanned

Oh but he didn't clear any prog content with it, so that's okay, right?

What a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, for any 50 (or even 60) primal fights people will gladly do them for you for WT. Honestly Odin can be done by a single person pretty trivially, just ask a RDM to come and punch it for you.