Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's what I do it for! "Man, I feel like watching some _____" and odds are it's there unless it's Prince Devitt.

It would be beyond impossible to keep going without megaupload or other such sites. Ah, what an age we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I guess to help raise funds for earthquake relief, Ice Ribbon's been teasing Momoe Nakanishi coming out of retirement for a match against Emi Sakura at Monday's Korakuen event.

Hopefully she's been keeping in shape since it's been six years since she last wrestled but oh man, that should be a fun match.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
She had at least one kid in the meantime.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Ditch posted:

She had at least one kid in the meantime.

I think she has three kids now. They're totally :3: but I guess that's the tradeoff for her being retired.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hey BJW, the grossest thing I've ever seen is Abdullah Kobayashi drinking a liter of egg yolks. Don't do that ever again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

Hey BJW, the grossest thing I've ever seen is Abdullah Kobayashi drinking a liter of egg yolks. Don't do that ever again.

thats p hardcore.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

thats p hardcore.

The whole match was really burly(one dude's title defense 12/19/2010), complete with light tubes plugged in.

But the pre-match stuff was insane.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When I was into wrestling, and the internet wasn't this big all consuming thing in our lives, I was amazing because everyone thought Sting and Luger were the best thing going, but I thought Misawa and Kobashi were. I'd actually researched things and ordered tapes and everything. I'm on a nostalgia trip and watching some old stuff again, but I'd like to start understanding what I'm seeing, so let me start with 1-2 questions that will probably lead to 3-4 more.

All of these questions are about AJPW in the 90s, the Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada/Taue years.

So there are no, or at least very few, single day events here? If I watch an event like, Excite Series 1992, that's actually a tour, right? And then the tape is simply the 3-4 best matches from the tour?

Where do the rest of the matches go, if only the big names are on the releases? Take the 97 champions carnival, for example. The first match is Misawa-Kobashi, then Misawa-Kawada, then Kobashi-Kawada. I'd bet good money other people wrestled at some point.

Is there a way to see the actual results of each individual show? That would probably help me understand the tours better, and get a better feel for how and why they put the series together how they did.

And since they're tours, with no real blowoff event (I assume that Nippon Budokan counts as a bit of one), is each event equal in stature? Essentially any title can change hands at any time? I guess I'm numb to it because on the tape, well it's Misawa v Kobashi, of course the title can change hands, but if they do that match 12 times on the tour, they can only do the switch at one of the shows.

So confused, so confused.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

An update on Jinsei Shinzaki:

quote:

He has two ramen noodle restaurants in Sendai, which is near the epicenter of the earthquake. Both were damaged but they are both back operational. He is not living in his car, although he sort of has been. He’s been driving nine to ten hours daily since the earthquake. His supplier is in Tokushima, and he gets his supplies daily shipped from Tokushima to Niigata. He then drives daily to Niigata to pick up supplies. He also brings ramen soup and cooks it up at shelters on a daily basis. He goes to shelters and allows people to eat all the ramen noodles they can, and said he’s been serving up more than 300 bowls daily at different shelters to people who have lost their homes in the earthquake. For many, it’s the first hot meal they’ve had since the earthquake. He said, it’s “a great day for ramen chef.” Michinoku Pro Wrestling, the company he works for, is touring Kyushu, a Southern island, since they can’t do much in their normal territory. Shinzaki opted out of the tour because he had to drive so much to keep his restaurant open and to feed the homeless. Sho Funaki is on the Michinoku Pro tour.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

HulkaMatt posted:

Does this mean I can't call him Shinlazy anymore?

Seriously, though, awesome on Shinzaki for doing all of that.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Wrestlers are the best and worst people in the world.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HulkaMatt posted:

Are you serious? That is awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He's a bloody hero.

They should make a video game out of what he's doing.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/03/24/puroresu-pulse-issue-192-california-connections/
This week: TWO interviews!

Not sure how I missed this...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So there are no, or at least very few, single day events here? If I watch an event like, Excite Series 1992, that's actually a tour, right? And then the tape is simply the 3-4 best matches from the tour?
Comm. tapes from after '96 or so tend to be based on tours. In the early '90s it was usually one show. It's pretty easy to tell because you'll see a wrestler (ie. Misawa) in multiple matches on one but not the other.

quote:

Where do the rest of the matches go, if only the big names are on the releases? Take the 97 champions carnival, for example. The first match is Misawa-Kobashi, then Misawa-Kawada, then Kobashi-Kawada. I'd bet good money other people wrestled at some point.
There's tons of material that got taped and never aired. Midcard matches show up on TV episodes. In late '96 they started airing full shows for the first time on Samurai TV, so for instance there was a ton of '97 Champ Carny shown there, like Kobashi vs Akiyama and the 'league' Misawa vs Kawada.

quote:

Is there a way to see the actual results of each individual show? That would probably help me understand the tours better, and get a better feel for how and why they put the series together how they did.
'90s All Japan results are very incomplete.

Here's the Purolove "every Kobashi match ever" result archive, which helps a lot as you get to see the sort of matches he was in before and after he became a headliner: http://www.purolove.com/noah/kobashi/kobashi.php

Pro Wrestling History lets you see the full results of 'big' events: http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/supercards/japan/alljapan/ajindex.html

quote:

And since they're tours, with no real blowoff event (I assume that Nippon Budokan counts as a bit of one), is each event equal in stature? Essentially any title can change hands at any time? I guess I'm numb to it because on the tape, well it's Misawa v Kobashi, of course the title can change hands, but if they do that match 12 times on the tour, they can only do the switch at one of the shows.
Ah, now I understand where the confusion comes from.

Take a look at the results of New Japan's first tour this year: http://www.puroresufan.com/njpw/results/ism11.html

Here's DG: http://iheartdg.com/truth11.html

That is how Japanese tours are booked. VERY different from US-style house show booking.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Just gotta pop in and say the NJPW youtube channel is pretty much the greatest thing ever, watching this right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFHMQswKip8

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Just gotta pop in and say the NJPW youtube channel is pretty much the greatest thing ever, watching this right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFHMQswKip8

Oh god, :camera6: is omnipresent!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is Manabu "Kurasawa" Nakanishi up to these days. I Just watched him job to Disco Inferno on Nitro. He looked like he had some serious potential.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

LordPants posted:

What is Manabu "Kurasawa" Nakanishi up to these days. I Just watched him job to Disco Inferno on Nitro. He looked like he had some serious potential.
Still wrestling but he never got great. A couple good matches here and there, a couple big main events, that's about it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Question: Where is Toshiaki Kawada?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Question: Where is Toshiaki Kawada?

He set out on a journey around, and into, the earth. There are tectonic plates that need to be kicked in their equivalent of a face.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It looks like he quietly retired. A pic surfaced a few weeks back and he seems to have stopped working out; lost pretty much all his muscle.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Seems like the same situation as Mariko Yoshida. I don't think she's worked at all, aside from a one-off upcoming match for Diana, since 2009 and I read from someone on joshifans that when they were in Japan everyone he asked about it said in no uncertain terms that she's retired.

She's apparently running yoga/fitness classes now or something to that effect and honestly I think if you're gonna take fitness lessons from anyone it's hard to do better than Mariko.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
At least she could hop in the ring whenever, she's gotta be in shape still. But not Kawada.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

And speaking of retirements, Toshie Uematsu's apparently retiring in April of next year. That really sucks because I LOVE the bit of her I've seen. Good worker, tons of personality and it was nice having a vet that was always willing to put over younger talent. Also, she has one of the nicest splashes I've ever seen.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ditch posted:

It looks like he quietly retired. A pic surfaced a few weeks back and he seems to have stopped working out; lost pretty much all his muscle.

Aw. :smith:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So yeah, Toshie's retirement next year is official. Apparently the reason is due to her mother having dementia. Her younger sister has been taking care of her but Toshie feels she kind of has to do her part now and take some of the burden away from her sister.

That really sucks all around. :smith:

RandyOrtonIsMyGod
May 12, 2009

Now divinely touched by RK-Pyro

Suben posted:

Seems like the same situation as Mariko Yoshida. I don't think she's worked at all, aside from a one-off upcoming match for Diana, since 2009 and I read from someone on joshifans that when they were in Japan everyone he asked about it said in no uncertain terms that she's retired.

She's apparently running yoga/fitness classes now or something to that effect and honestly I think if you're gonna take fitness lessons from anyone it's hard to do better than Mariko.

Ok, trying to catch up on my joshi a bit, is Mariko still training girls in Ibuki? What happened to Ibuki anyway (is it still around or inactive)? It's so hard to keep track of joshi when you can't speak Japanese :(

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Ibuki folded awhile ago and no I don't think Mariko's training anyone anymore. I read that Toshie had apparently been picking up some of the slack for her though but she's retiring next year as well so who knows which, if any, of the vets will step up.

Of the regulars from Ibuki, Hiroyo Matsumoto, Tomoka Nakagawa and Misaki Ohata all freelance. Hiroyo and Misaki won the Shimmer tag belts and then lost them the next day to Daizee Haze and Nakagawa. Nakagawa and Hiroyo also just won the OZ Academy tag belts as part of Aja Kong's Jungle Jack 21 group while Misaki's playing a heel in WAVE as part of the Black Dhalia group with Hiren, Yumi Ohka and Bambi.

Ray's been wrestling unmasked in Tajiri's SMASH promotion as Lin Bairon with a sort of Hong Kong martial arts stuntwoman gimmick although she's started doing work under the Ray gimmick again for Ice Ribbon.

Most everyone else is either retired or hasn't done anything since Ibuki closed.

RandyOrtonIsMyGod
May 12, 2009

Suben posted:

Ibuki folded awhile ago and no I don't think Mariko's training anyone anymore. I read that Toshie had apparently been picking up some of the slack for her though but she's retiring next year as well so who knows which, if any, of the vets will step up.

Of the regulars from Ibuki, Hiroyo Matsumoto, Tomoka Nakagawa and Misaki Ohata all freelance. Hiroyo and Misaki won the Shimmer tag belts and then lost them the next day to Daizee Haze and Nakagawa. Nakagawa and Hiroyo also just won the OZ Academy tag belts as part of Aja Kong's Jungle Jack 21 group while Misaki's playing a heel in WAVE as part of the Black Dhalia group with Hiren, Yumi Ohka and Bambi.

Ray's been wrestling unmasked in Tajiri's SMASH promotion as Lin Bairon with a sort of Hong Kong martial arts stuntwoman gimmick although she's started doing work under the Ray gimmick again for Ice Ribbon.

Most everyone else is either retired or hasn't done anything since Ibuki closed.

Thanks for the info. Ibuki sounded so great to me when I first heard about it. Am I mistaken or does it feel like joshi's been dying out for a while now?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

RandyOrtonIsMyGod posted:

Thanks for the info. Ibuki sounded so great to me when I first heard about it. Am I mistaken or does it feel like joshi's been dying out for a while now?

I don't think it'll DIE (hopefully) because there will always be money mark and promoters willing to start something up but yeah it's not really in anything that could be considered good shape. It's never really recovered from the the whole opening up of the freelance system, the opening up of more promotions and the talent defections that killed AJW. Everything is way too fractured, everyone freelances and it just gets more and more niche and insular.

RandyOrtonIsMyGod
May 12, 2009

Suben posted:

I don't think it'll DIE (hopefully) because there will always be money mark and promoters willing to start something up but yeah it's not really in anything that could be considered good shape. It's never really recovered from the the whole opening up of the freelance system, the opening up of more promotions and the talent defections that killed AJW. Everything is way too fractured, everyone freelances and it just gets more and more niche and insular.

That's definitely what it feels like to me. There are barely any joshi promotions with dedicated rosters (read: girls actually under contract). Who's left now? Ice Ribbon, Oz Academy (correct? I watched some videos of shows they had in 2010), this DIANA promotion I've only heard about from this thread. Is JWP still around? I know Sendai is still around but we'll see how the earthquake affected them and LLPW went inactive (ran out of girls to job out to the veterans or the veterans got too old, I guess :))

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I guess as far as a rundown of what's around now. NEO closed up at the end of 2010 due to an inability to make new stars and bringing in new girls; Yuki Miyazaki, Tanny Mouse and Yoshiko Tamura went with it. Ayumi Kurihara beat Tamura for the NEO/NWA Pacific belts in the final match and has done nothing with them since.

Ice Ribbon - Emi Sakura's promotion that spun out of a wrestling school she was part of. Does well enough to run Korakuen at least. Tsukasa Fujimoto holds both the ICEx60 and Triangle titles while Emi and Ray are the tag champs.

OZ Academy - Ozaki's promotion. Pretty much the home for the GAEA vets. Aja Kong holds the Openweight belt while her stablemates, Hiroyo Matsumoto and Tomoka Nakagawa are the tag champs.

JWP - Run by Command Bolshoi pretty much off in it's own corner but still doing well, I guess, for a modern day joshi promotion. Tojuki Leon won the Openweight title off of Kaori Yoneyama (who subsequently screwed up her jaw), Kagetu is the Jr/POP champ and Tsubasa Kuragaki and Kayoko Haruyama are the tag champs. Leon was also the NEO High Speed champ when she won which unified the belts.

Sendai Girls - Meiko wants to run shows again in the future but for now the talent's spread around. Most of them are freelancing around Japan right now, Sendai Sachiko's been doing work in Okinawa Pro and Bolshoi offered DASH Chisako a spot on the JWP roster and a place to stay in the dojo. Meiko herself has dropped weight and got RIPPED and is also shuttling food around the area to help out.

LLPW - Pretty much dead but not officially so.

Stardom - Started up in the middle of last year, put on their first show in January and is the brainchild of ARSION promoter Rossy Ogawa and Fuuka. It's pretty much what JDstar was with the pretty girls and everything (and gravure idol Yuzuki Aikawa as the centerpiece). Nanae Takahashi and Natsuki*Taiyo are the trainers. No titles at the moment though they plan on recognizing the NEO tag titles. By all accounts the shows have actually been surprisingly good.

Diana - New promotion that holds their first show this month. Started by Kyoko Inoue and Kaoru Ito so you can expect fat ladies not putting anyone over and maybe one of them legit killing Nagisa Nozaki since she's made of glass. I think Kyoko's said she wants to eventually institute a no freelancers policy and has plans to bring in/develop a few girls from Mexico and Cambodia so hopefully Kyoko and Ito learned from their past mistakes.

RandyOrtonIsMyGod
May 12, 2009

Suben posted:

I guess as far as a rundown of what's around now. NEO closed up at the end of 2010 due to an inability to make new stars and bringing in new girls; Yuki Miyazaki, Tanny Mouse and Yoshiko Tamura went with it. Ayumi Kurihara beat Tamura for the NEO/NWA Pacific belts in the final match and has done nothing with them since.

Ice Ribbon - Emi Sakura's promotion that spun out of a wrestling school she was part of. Does well enough to run Korakuen at least. Tsukasa Fujimoto holds both the ICEx60 and Triangle titles while Emi and Ray are the tag champs.

OZ Academy - Ozaki's promotion. Pretty much the home for the GAEA vets. Aja Kong holds the Openweight belt while her stablemates, Hiroyo Matsumoto and Tomoka Nakagawa are the tag champs.

JWP - Run by Command Bolshoi pretty much off in it's own corner but still doing well, I guess, for a modern day joshi promotion. Tojuki Leon won the Openweight title off of Kaori Yoneyama (who subsequently screwed up her jaw), Kagetu is the Jr/POP champ and Tsubasa Kuragaki and Kayoko Haruyama are the tag champs. Leon was also the NEO High Speed champ when she won which unified the belts.

Sendai Girls - Meiko wants to run shows again in the future but for now the talent's spread around. Most of them are freelancing around Japan right now, Sendai Sachiko's been doing work in Okinawa Pro and Bolshoi offered DASH Chisako a spot on the JWP roster and a place to stay in the dojo. Meiko herself has dropped weight and got RIPPED and is also shuttling food around the area to help out.

LLPW - Pretty much dead but not officially so.

Stardom - Started up in the middle of last year, put on their first show in January and is the brainchild of ARSION promoter Rossy Ogawa and Fuuka. It's pretty much what JDstar was with the pretty girls and everything (and gravure idol Yuzuki Aikawa as the centerpiece). Nanae Takahashi and Natsuki*Taiyo are the trainers. No titles at the moment though they plan on recognizing the NEO tag titles. By all accounts the shows have actually been surprisingly good.

Diana - New promotion that holds their first show this month. Started by Kyoko Inoue and Kaoru Ito so you can expect fat ladies not putting anyone over and maybe one of them legit killing Nagisa Nozaki since she's made of glass. I think Kyoko's said she wants to eventually institute a no freelancers policy and has plans to bring in/develop a few girls from Mexico and Cambodia so hopefully Kyoko and Ito learned from their past mistakes.

Thanks, that is a great amount of information. :)

I've watched a few of Ayumi Kurihara's matches on Youtube from Oz Academy (particularly one against Dynamite Kansai) and I can't say I was impressed by her. She definitely has talent but it feels like she does the same moves no matter how many times her opponent counters them; I can think of plenty of other wrestlers that do this (male and female) but it seems to be more noticeable in her matches. But that may be just my point of view based on the few matches I've seen her in.

Hopefully, Diana will be successful and, like you said, hopefully Kyoko and Ito have learned from their mistakes but if I have to see one more big girl dominates little girl match I will lose interest very quickly.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/04/17/puroresu-pulse-issue-193-puroresu-dot-com/
THIS WEEK: The guy behind puroresu.com.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RandyOrtonIsMyGod posted:

Thanks, that is a great amount of information. :)

I've watched a few of Ayumi Kurihara's matches on Youtube from Oz Academy (particularly one against Dynamite Kansai) and I can't say I was impressed by her. She definitely has talent but it feels like she does the same moves no matter how many times her opponent counters them; I can think of plenty of other wrestlers that do this (male and female) but it seems to be more noticeable in her matches. But that may be just my point of view based on the few matches I've seen her in.

Hopefully, Diana will be successful and, like you said, hopefully Kyoko and Ito have learned from their mistakes but if I have to see one more big girl dominates little girl match I will lose interest very quickly.

I think the one thing keeping Joshi from being a successful draw is the insane pin attempts. 1 pause 2 pause pause pause pause kick out! The concept of little women attempting to murder each other should sell like hotcakes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got my grubby little paws on the 29th Noah First Navigation show.
First off can someone explain the story behind KENTA turning on Shiozaki, and secondly can some recommend some more NOAH shows from this year? I have spent most of the show marking like a little girl and I want MORE! :stare:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The rudo group KENTA & Shiozaki were wrestling (Disobey) had been courting KENTA for a while and he finally joined them.

If you haven't seen it, watch the face-meltingly brutal KENTA vs Takayama match from two weeks before that. That channel also has all the NOAH TV shows that make it online split up match-by-match.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The NOAH shows to watch so far are January 15th and March 5th.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
AJ, NJ and NOAH have announced a charity show at Nippon Budokan to take place in August. First big officially co-promoted show by three big promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

AJ, NJ and NOAH have announced a charity show at Nippon Budokan to take place in August. First big officially co-promoted show by three big promotions.

boners!