Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ol' Billy Redface! Tomorrow should be a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ol' Billy Redface! Tomorrow should be a good one.

Nice! Will definitely be listening to that one.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
It will be nice to listen to him on a podcast where he's not talking about sports (not including UFC) for the majority of it.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
since when did Burr stop being funny?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Haven't listened to it yet except for the monkey story on YouTube and it was pretty drat funny. He did seem not himself though. Maybe he did ayahuasca

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hate on haters. I enjoyed it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

XIII posted:

Hate on haters. I enjoyed it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

diesiel posted:

That episode was good, sorry.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

diesiel posted:

Since never!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

I'm feeling it. 2017 is the year.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dang, Lance Armstrong.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I really hope it's a good episode

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Joe really taking "having people on that take drugs" to a whole new level.

:haw:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The Lance Armstrong episode is interesting as hell.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Keg posted:

The Lance Armstrong episode is interesting as hell.

It's really weird to see how he views himself. He's still absolutely a huge dick about the whole situation, but I think when you win the tour 7 consecutive times your ego gets more than a little inflated. And he completely glosses over the lawsuits he filed that ruined peoples lives in order to cover his lying. Still a VERY interesting interview that you would never get on a mainstream show.

Sootie
May 9, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

And he completely glosses over the lawsuits he filed that ruined peoples lives in order to cover his lying.

I do wish Joe would have quizzed him a little more on this.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Sootie posted:

I do wish Joe would have quizzed him a little more on this.

Yeah, that's my main problem with Joe. I want him to do a tiny bit more research on his high profile guests, but he's completely uninterested in that. And I get it, the conversational nature of the podcast is what's great and makes it different from someone like Maron who does extensive research and basically interviews people. But I really really wish he would put the smallest bit of effort into finding those nuggets of a person's story that most people have questions about and then ask them in his disarming Joe Rogan-ey way to try and pull a straight answer out of folks.

Honestly though? I doubt he'd even get a guy like Lance if they knew he was going to do more than just lob up softballs and spout his own opinions about his situation and let him comment on them.

Anyway, yeah. Really interesting show. Y'all should go out of your way to listen if you have any interest in the guy and how he views his story.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Interesting episode, I never really paid much attention to this story beyond knowing that he was doping.

Viper_3000 posted:

And he completely glosses over the lawsuits he filed that ruined peoples lives in order to cover his lying. Still a VERY interesting interview that you would never get on a mainstream show.

Who did he file lawsuits against?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

To be fair I'm pretty sure Joe mentioned the lawsuits and Lance didn't protest. "You were accusing people of lying about your drug use, you were filing all those lawsuits against people", something like that.

Anyways, it was a really interesting episode. Maybe not the most entertaining but certainly interesting. The weirdest thing to me was how beaten down Lance was. Like he had been such a defiant rear end in a top hat for so long and then non-apologetic that now he feels he just has to shut up and eat poo poo in all aspects of his case (which is too extreme a reaction in my opinion). It's a bit annoying because I think of lot of what has went on in his case is hosed up and I agreed with a lot of what Joe said, but it was only met with "you can say that, I can't" and no further elaboration which I would've liked. Lance only hinted slightly he might agree. A key example was when Rogan brought up Novitsky and Lance got really animated because he wanted to talk about him but Lance never actually said what he really wanted. He said something like "Was he serious that he wanted to do the podcast with me, really? He can't see why that might be a bad idea". I'm assuming what he wanted to say is "The guy who's ruining my life by dragging out a decades long case on doping in cycling to the year 2016 can't understand why I wouldn't want to be in a room with him?".

Lance's whole refusal to stand up for himself was weird because in a lot of cases I think the things Joe was saying (that Lance wanted to agree to) are right and not controversial. The fact that his wins are removed from the tour and no one elses have been is stupid, the fact his case is still going on and the government is still involved and spending money is stupid, the fact he can't say "everyone was doing it, it's ridiculous I've been singled out in this manner" is stupid.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

hot sauce posted:

Who did he file lawsuits against?

I can't remember everyone, but suffice to say if you accused Armstrong of doping, especially in print where the public could read it, and it could be misconstrued to think you implied guilt, he was filing a lawsuit against you. Off the top of my head I think it was a former masseuse, a couple of former teammates, I know the Times in London got hit with a suit they had to settle out of court. Dude went on a litigious rampage to cover the lie back in the day and didn't give a gently caress about anyone in his way.

Seltzer posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure Joe mentioned the lawsuits and Lance didn't protest. "You were accusing people of lying about your drug use, you were filing all those lawsuits against people", something like that.

Yeah but to be fair he completely glossed over this whole thing. Those lawsuits ruined a lot of peoples lives and he seems to come off thinking of them as "just part of the crossfire" of his past, which is why a lot of people (like me) still think he's an unremorseful dick at times. I agree with the rest of your post though and yeah...really interesting episode for sure.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Armstrong did address it though. He said specifically that he hosed over a lot of people and that he's attempted to make amends and personally apologised to every one of them, and even mentioned it was that aspect, the going after people as opposed to the actual doping, that most people took great exception to and wrote him off because of. Maybe I bought his bullshit hook, line and sinker, but that seemed to be the aspect of his behaviour which he regretted the most.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Anyway, yeah. Really interesting show. Y'all should go out of your way to listen if you have any interest in the guy and how he views his story.

https://youtu.be/RfutD4H8peQ?t=13

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Lance is a legit psycho

Duncan and Chris Ryan on tomorrow (tues) and Joey with Redban on thur happy holy daze

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Armstrong interview was fascinating and I feel like I understand him a lot better now.

I feel badly for him mostly. While his lies hurt a lot of people and he definitely went full aggro to keep his secret secret, it seems to me that doping wasn't really a choice for his team--it was either dope up or go home, and if that's the reality of the sport, he's much more of a scapegoat than anything else.

He deserved the poo poo that happened to him, but I think our hate for him overshadowed the bigger picture, which is that doping is not going away and a real conversation on whether doping really equates to cheating needs to happen.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

BottledBodhisvata posted:

he's much more of a scapegoat than anything else.

Nah. What happened was more or less in proportion to his fame and profile in America. A lot of cyclists have been banned for doping, it's just that no one in America knows who they are or have worn their yellow wristbands.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

jyrka posted:

Nah. What happened was more or less in proportion to his fame and profile in America. A lot of cyclists have been banned for doping, it's just that no one in America knows who they are or have worn their yellow wristbands.

That's true, I'll grant, I know literally no other cyclists besides Armstrong.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Amazing Atheist ffs

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Amazing Atheist ffs

Oh god. More bigfoot hunters. Less of that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Diaz episode on Christmas was great, as was last weeks Tom Segura. The Aubrey episode, I lasted about 2 min, had to shut it off when Joe said, " have you tried hemp paper? It's so much.... Better...than regular paper. "

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

always be closing posted:

Diaz episode on Christmas was great, as was last weeks Tom Segura. The Aubrey episode, I lasted about 2 min, had to shut it off when Joe said, " have you tried hemp paper? It's so much.... Better...than regular paper. "

The amazing thing about Diaz is that I've listened to him like 20 different times now and he never runs out of amazing stories. His throwaway stories would be certain guests best stories. I wish he was on more because no matter how much I like him I just can't get into his podcast that much. He doesn't have on good guests that much and I don't like his sidekick.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Amazing Atheist ffs

Did the banana incident or the hot oil incident or his beliefs around thin privilege get brought up?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Amazing Atheist ffs

ha, no loving way

Dekko
May 23, 2007
The Amazing Atheist episode wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but even so having at least an hour of SOCIAL JUSTICE WORRRIORSS every. loving. time is getting really grating. Especially as its essentially the same conversation every time.

I've been listening for 18 months or so now think I'm reaching the stage where the 'dumbass stoner' shtick Joe does has stopped being funny and kinda endearing and tipped into 'guy who talks a lot/gets real mad about things he doesn't understand/found out 30 seconds ago'.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Keg posted:

Did the banana incident or the hot oil incident or his beliefs around thin privilege get brought up?

Care to explain this cause I do not know who he is and he looks like he is the type to be deep into MENS RIGHTS

e: a-yup

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 13, 2016

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CortezFantastic posted:

Care to explain this cause I do not know who he is and he looks like he is the type to be deep into MENS RIGHTS

I saw someone mention it in the youtube comments so I looked it up and uhh, well...

click at your own risk. :nws: :nms:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Tony Hinchcliffe today. Maybe that one won't devolve into two hours of SJW chat.

Joe really needs some new material to rant about. Literally the only time I ever hear anyone talk about the evil SJW menace is on this podcast. I'm so tired of hearing about it.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Since I literally only listen to guests i know and like at this point, what exactly is his issue? I thought he was all for being cool to each other and other stoner/hippie talk, unless he is mocking the more bizarre tumblresque parts of it

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

CortezFantastic posted:

He shoved a banana up his rear end on webcam because somebody pretending to be a girl told him to. And he poured hot oil on his dick on webcam too. And he whines about SJWs and simultaneously believes in thin privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

Since I literally only listen to guests i know and like at this point, what exactly is his issue? I thought he was all for being cool to each other and other stoner/hippie talk, unless he is mocking the more bizarre tumblresque parts of it

He thinks he's mocking the 'bizarre tumblresque' parts except he has very limited information and insight. It's his new 30 minute transgender mma fighter/wolves/gluten bit that he runs.