Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

As an idiot, it only just occurred to me that a less dried-up version of that alien corpse we saw would look quite a bit like the standard stubby machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark. His bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary's body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions - on top, doggy, and normal.

Exhausted they collapsed onto the recently extended sofa-bed. Then a hell beast ate them.

- Garth Marenghi, Slicer.

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or an actual excerpt.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFWSExNJVk

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Now that I'm remembering, there's a Strong Bad E-mail episode where one of the Easter eggs was about Tire Madness and one of the words was Revenganceful. That's what that word reminds me of.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail85.html For those curious. Some of the bad endings now would be total Homestar moves. "Ooh, mackewel!"

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

You should watch Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. Or at least most people should.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

necroid posted:

I'm re-reading those novels right now and I'm still amazed at how well they hold today, considering they were written in the mid-late FIFTIES. Asimov's robots can be both superhuman and childlike in their interactions which is what makes them so believable as not-yet-human machines.

Caves of Steel is even more amazing when you realize that Asimov had no idea what he was doing. He had no plan for the story, he was just banging out chapters and sending them off to the magazine so he could get paid enough to eat. He basically pulled every plot point out of his rear end, including the ending.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Reading Asimov's sex scenes is enough to make one wonder if the man was, in fact, a robot trying to simulate humanity. Thankfully he never learned of tight leather pants and tribal tats.

We don't talk about Foundation and Earth.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The Big Three of the Golden Era of science fiction had all the bases covered. Bad sex scenes from Asimov, all the sex forever and ever from Heinlein, or completely separate from sex from Clarke.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Stories about robots going bonkers because they interpreted their programming weirdly are a favourite of mine. This discussion made me remember The Cyberiad and now I want to go dig it out and have a read.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

The Big Three of the Golden Era of science fiction had all the bases covered. Bad sex scenes from Asimov, all the sex forever and ever from Heinlein, or completely separate from sex from Clarke.

Honestly, Clarke's approach seems the best of the bunch there, if only because there's lots of ground for SF to cover (and moreso back in the Golden Era) that basically have nothing to do with sex.

McDragon posted:

Stories about robots going bonkers because they interpreted their programming weirdly are a favourite of mine. This discussion made me remember The Cyberiad and now I want to go dig it out and have a read.

Ever read Asimov's 'Runaround'? It's just a short story, but it's one of the ones on that theme I love because its explanation made a kind of intuitive sense to how eight-year-old me thought it should work. More to the point, it's a story that predicated its explanation on robots being robots, and not chrome-plated humans.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
The most disquieting robot series I've ever read is the Not Quite Human books by Seth McEvoy. They're about a robot named Chip whose scientist creator is sending him to school to see if he can learn how to be human.

Pretty cliché, yes. But the scary thing is Chip DOES NOT HAVE EMOTIONS. And this is scary in a subtle way, because it never becomes horror. I didn't even realize this until rereading the books. He follows his programming to try and emulate humans, he measures responses, behaves in ways they seem to approve. Sometimes makes mistakes; but it's always stated that he only thinks about whether his programming "pretend to be a human" is successful or not.

And we see his scientist creator and said creator's daughter treat him like family, and people at school do. But we, the audience, see his thinking, and he never considers them that except "that's what my programming says they should be called". So by the end of the series, he's good at acting like human, but inside, he's still the same, still ONLY interested in following his programming.

To this day, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Disney made a few movies about this, but they go the usual Pinocchio route and he really does start thinking like a human.

Of course, that has nothing to do with Nier Automata, because both machines and androids have emotions.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Andyzero posted:

Of course, that has nothing to do with Nier Automata, because both machines and androids have emotions.

Or are they just good at emulating them?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There is some good stuff on the subject on Wikipedia's page for the Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence.

Neither machines nor androids in the Nierverse necessarily have emotions. They absolutely could just be following their programming, just like everyone else in the world except for you.

I've said too much.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Machines don't have feelings.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Tatumje posted:

There is some good stuff on the subject on Wikipedia's page for the Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence.

Neither machines nor androids in the Nierverse necessarily have emotions. They absolutely could just be following their programming, just like everyone else in the world except for you.

I've said too much.

Just like everyone in the world including you, you're just a side effect of the machine working underneath you, a passenger on a wild ride who feels they can change what the machine is spontaneously doing and rationalize away its behaviour.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fredrik1 posted:

Or are they just good at emulating them?

And now for the fun philosophy: what differentiates having emotions from emulating them? Why do you believe that you have emotions and aren't just emulating them?

How are human emotions not "just" programming? Complicated buggy programming, but programming nonetheless.

SIGSEGV posted:

Just like everyone in the world including you, you're just a side effect of the machine working underneath you, a passenger on a wild ride who feels they can change what the machine is spontaneously doing and rationalize away its behaviour.

We aren't a side effect, we are the machine. Not a passenger, but the vehicle.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I've drastically simplified this whole philosophical debate by just going full-on solipsism. I don't care what any of you meat robots tell me.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I guess navel-gazing and reminiscing about classic sci-fi is slightly better than a five page derail about wisdom teeth that we got in the last TDI lp thread.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Don't be silly, androids don't have navels!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I guess navel-gazing and reminiscing about classic sci-fi is slightly better than a five page derail about wisdom teeth that we got in the last TDI lp thread.

I had some pretty loving big wisdom teeth, one was the size of my thumb phalanx final section thing? I'm not too good at this English thing. Anyways it was loving huge.

Qrr posted:

We aren't a side effect, we are the machine. Not a passenger, but the vehicle.

Well, yes, of course. You're a part of the decision making process but is your consciousness really the part that makes the decisions? It could just be an impression.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

I had some pretty loving big wisdom teeth, one was the size of my thumb phalanx final section thing? I'm not too good at this English thing. Anyways it was loving huge.

Still got nothing on the teeth derail in the Drakengard 3 thread. It's probably best you don't look for it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Determinism trumps free will.

I can predict with 100% accuracy that no one wants to hear me talk about determinism. Take that free will advocates!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Dzhay posted:

As an idiot, it only just occurred to me that a less dried-up version of that alien corpse we saw would look quite a bit like the standard stubby machine.

This never occurred to me until I read your comment and took a second look at the alien corpses, so you're not the only idiot :aaaaa:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tatumje posted:

I can predict with 100% accuracy that no one wants to hear me talk about determinism. Take that free will advocates!

I want to hear you talk about determinism!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Tatumje posted:

I want to, simply because I find the idea of free will to be quite inapplicable anyways. People make the decisions they believe to be the best at any point, including satisfying their spite, hate, love, desire to spend more time thinking on it and so on and so associate a value to those things. Therefore any decision they make was "the best decision" at the moment it was made. There's no free will if the only freedom is to make the best decision as it appears.

Basically the entire concept seems kinda bunk to me.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Andyzero posted:

The most disquieting robot series I've ever read is the Not Quite Human books by Seth McEvoy. They're about a robot named Chip whose scientist creator is sending him to school to see if he can learn how to be human.

Pretty cliché, yes. But the scary thing is Chip DOES NOT HAVE EMOTIONS. And this is scary in a subtle way, because it never becomes horror. I didn't even realize this until rereading the books. He follows his programming to try and emulate humans, he measures responses, behaves in ways they seem to approve. Sometimes makes mistakes; but it's always stated that he only thinks about whether his programming "pretend to be a human" is successful or not.

And we see his scientist creator and said creator's daughter treat him like family, and people at school do. But we, the audience, see his thinking, and he never considers them that except "that's what my programming says they should be called". So by the end of the series, he's good at acting like human, but inside, he's still the same, still ONLY interested in following his programming.

To this day, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Disney made a few movies about this, but they go the usual Pinocchio route and he really does start thinking like a human.

I remember the movies they made on that.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

Well, yes, of course. You're a part of the decision making process but is your consciousness really the part that makes the decisions? It could just be an impression.

Depends on the decision, but generally I think "I am going to do this thing" and then I do it, so yes. Unless my impression can predict the future.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Qrr posted:

Depends on the decision, but generally I think "I am going to do this thing" and then I do it, so yes. Unless my impression can predict the future.

Yeah, I can't really float it for writing a thesis for example. Still need to refine it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SIGSEGV posted:

Consciousness is a culling mechanism for improving the operation of less conscious modes of thought. People can be ruled by their instincts, they can also override them if they think that might produce a better result.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

People make the decisions they believe to be the best at any point
:lol:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Well, they do. It's just that people are consistently pretty dumb so what seems like the best idea at the time rarely is. Not like we have loads of people going around saying they're going to see what happens when they shove a lit firecracker up a moose's rear end, at least not outside of Jackass.

Edit: The show Jackass, not the android.

Edit2: Actually, probably the android too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You can't prove where thoughts come from. All you know for sure it's that there are thoughts and you can observe them.

Everything beyond that is based on supposition.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Begemot posted:

You can't prove where thoughts come from. All you know for sure it's that there are thoughts and you can observe them.

The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It makes a lot more sense if you include things like spite, fun or trying to fit in a group in "finding the best decision". When you're completely drunk and trying to fit in, trying to see if you can piss 2 meters straight up in the air can make sense. Even if you know it's stupid because you're not quite dead drunk you estimate the social pressure and insults and not fitting in and so on and can arrive to the conclusion that your next leak ending up on liveleak is probably a good decision? How do zippers work again?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Begemot posted:

We can derive where they come from because there aren't very many sources in the brain. Or rather, there are quite a lot of sources and they're all brain cells.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Saying it like that kinda downplays the importance of the various support systems around there, especially the hormonal system. Neurons are vital other parts also play their roles.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Qrr posted:

We can derive where they come from because there aren't very many sources in the brain. Or rather, there are quite a lot of sources and they're all brain cells.

Woah woah woah there buddy, you're already working on all sorts of unprovable suppositions. Talkin' about thoughts coming from brains as if sensation was reliable proof of anything.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Begemot posted:

Woah woah woah there buddy, you're already working on all sorts of unprovable suppositions. Talkin' about thoughts coming from brains as if sensation was reliable proof of anything.

Yes, yes, we all know how this argument reduces to absurdity. Eventually we end up squabbling over whether anything has ever existed, or if we're all just brains in jars hooked up to computers and a chemical drip. And everyone goes home feeling smug about dropping trou and jerking off all over their own chests.

That particular branch of philosophy has always struck me as being particularly braindead. It doesn't say anything. It doesn't explain anything. It does nothing. It is pointlessness on top of pointlessness.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

Saying it like that kinda downplays the importance of the various support systems around there, especially the hormonal system. Neurons are vital other parts also play their roles.

Then we have a discussion about where "come from" means. If we're including every cause then we're blaming thoughts on everything that has ever happened. Hormones and other inputs to the brain (like sight and hearing and pain and so on) are certainly influential, but I wouldn't say that they're where thoughts come from.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Consider determinism in terms of overcoming addiction:

There are two main steps to beating any addiction. An individual must first realize that a behavior is worth stopping, and then the individual must cut out any opportunities to reengage with the old behavior.

In order to meet the first step, the person must analyze the alternatives to their current path. This takes energy. If the individual doesn't find a suitable new path, they will not begin the rehabilitation process.

If I'm addicted to water, there is no suitable alternative. I'm locked in.

The second step (changing habits) also requires energy. If the individual doesn't have enough energy to change habits on their own and no one else around them is willing to help, they will relapse.

If I want to lose weight, I need to address my relationship with food. I also need to change my relationship with friends, family, work acquaintances, strangers, and with myself. I must kill old habits in order to foster new ones.

Energy is willpower, but will isn't free. There are energy requirements for any decision you will make. Willpower runs out eventually. In an ideal world, you will be far away from your vices that the effort to return to them will cost too much.

In other words, 6O is the best girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

apocalypticCritic posted:

It is pointlessness on top of pointlessness.

The long form Turing test.

• Locked thread