Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mantis42 posted:

They should just make the place containing the waste really, really smelly.

Of all the proposals I’ve read about, this is probably the best, tbh. Anything dangerous or scary-looking just triggers the “holy poo poo I gotta check this out” idiot part of our brains, but gross smells repel everyone. Then again maybe some fart-fetishist in 200018 is gonna wander around jacking off until he finds a bunch of glowing rocks and decides to impress everyone back home with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The waste is going to be vitrified and buried real loving far down isn't it, so its not like it could be smelly slimy ooze like in comics and the simpsons. Any future culture digging it up would probably be at a 20th century level of technological advancement to get it up, and so what if they dig some up and some of these future people the die from it, not going to be a civilization ending moment. In the long run the death toll per kWh would probably be lower than coal anyway.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What if we built like... A wall? Add a tire moat, some auto turrets and voilà!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fathis Munk posted:

What if we built like... A wall? Add a tire moat, some auto turrets and voilà!

Yeah and when someone finally gets past our obstacle course and survives the traps and deterrents, when they open the big vault at the end a bunch of balloons and confetti can rain down from above while trumpets start playing.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I like the one solution which involved starting a cult that primary goal was keep people away from the waste disposal sites. Mostly because I imagine it ending in human sacrifice to the Radiation gods. The best result really for humanity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

The waste is going to be vitrified and buried real loving far down isn't it, so its not like it could be smelly slimy ooze like in comics and the simpsons. Any future culture digging it up would probably be at a 20th century level of technological advancement to get it up, and so what if they dig some up and some of these future people the die from it, not going to be a civilization ending moment. In the long run the death toll per kWh would probably be lower than coal anyway.

Yes. The solutions proposed by people who are designing the solutions that might actually get built dispose of the stupid DIGGER GED OUDS :DDD problem altogether because no-one without knowledge of radiation is going to be advanced enough to a) find the site and b) to dig far enough. Actually they probably won't find it anyway.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

I think I remember one of the proposals to keep people out of nuclear storage was to line the walls with really long spikes. Not to hurt them but because someone thought long rows of spikes was the best way to communicate "STAY AWAY".

It seems like an unsolvable problem though, cause there's always gonna be people that look at a ton of warnings and think its just a trick.

What about skulls? Lots of skulls. Across all cultures and languages that's pretty much the universal symbol of death, harm and danger.

Also the police

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They're basically cursed tombs anyway. Whoever opens the door will be burned in invisible flame and all nearby will become mysteriously sick.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Isnt it possible to keept re-refining nuclear waste with certain reactors and using it for power until it's basically gone, but we don't do that because that's also how you make nuclear weapons?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

They're basically cursed tombs anyway. Whoever opens the door will be burned in invisible flame and all nearby will become mysteriously sick.

Sadly the reality is probably that people walk around and poke stuff and then bring some of it home. Probably use it to make tools and household objects. Buy and trade it. Then the next generation of exposed people just has an unusually large amount of birth defects which will be blamed on more understood sources.

That's the optimistic version. Alternatively they're at 19th century technology and major corporations hoard the stuff as the new gold and find various uses for it that spreads it over the world.

I mean people made utensils out of lead for like 5000 years before they figured out what the problem was.

Same with asbestos. Even when the Romans went "hey everybody working with this stuff is dying of lung disease" 2000 years later we still use it.

Agents are GO! posted:

Isnt it possible to keept re-refining nuclear waste with certain reactors and using it for power until it's basically gone, but we don't do that because that's also how you make nuclear weapons?

Yes but I believe that's more expensive than using fresh fuel.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

A good and bad Zelda.

(I'm pro nuke, with the proper regulations/tech)

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

edit of the year

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DiggityDoink posted:

A good and bad Zelda.

(I'm pro nuke, with the proper regulations/tech)

Same here. People anti nuke never seem to accept that the chunk of power not being generated by nuclear then gets caught up by coal and oil.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Katt posted:

What about skulls? Lots of skulls. Across all cultures and languages that's pretty much the universal symbol of death, harm and danger.

You'd think so, but this article makes a decent counter point.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

And thus...

Even if I'm from a culture that sees skulls as death, I interpret that warning not as a warning, but as instructions. If you put it near a dead body, it resurrects them and allows them to walk away again.

It's sort of a fruitless thought exercise because humans, and likely any species that descends from us, is pointlessly bold. Even if they interpret this as 'BAD THING DEADLY', they'll likely try to figure out WHY it's 'BAD THING DEADLY'. The Isaac Newton of 8542 sees this as a challenge instead of a warning.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I stand by color changing nuclear cats.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That article is amazing.

quote:

Bastide and Fabbri came to the conclusion that the most durable thing that humanity has ever made is culture: religion, folklore, belief systems. They may morph over time, but an essential message can get pulled through over millennia. They proposed that we genetically engineer a species of cat that changes color in the presence of radiation, which would be released into the wild to serve as living Geiger counters. Then, we would create folklore and write songs and tell stories about these “ray cats,” the moral being that when you see these cats change colors, run far, far away.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

That article is amazing.

And, of course, they realized the problem with that, that superstitious people could wind up thinking the cats caused the bad things to happen instead of warning about it and just kill the cats instead of avoiding the areas they're in. Among other problems, I mean.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:sigh:

NameHurtBrain posted:

You'd think so, but this article makes a decent counter point.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

And thus...

Even if I'm from a culture that sees skulls as death, I interpret that warning not as a warning, but as instructions. If you put it near a dead body, it resurrects them and allows them to walk away again.

It's sort of a fruitless thought exercise because humans, and likely any species that descends from us, is pointlessly bold. Even if they interpret this as 'BAD THING DEADLY', they'll likely try to figure out WHY it's 'BAD THING DEADLY'. The Isaac Newton of 8542 sees this as a challenge instead of a warning.

Neat.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

And, of course, they realized the problem with that, that superstitious people could wind up thinking the cats caused the bad things to happen instead of warning about it and just kill the cats instead of avoiding the areas they're in. Among other problems, I mean.

Unusually perceptive of them I admit.

I mean people had no problems thinking that black cats caused problems with no prompting what so ever from the cats.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Katt posted:

I mean people had no problems thinking that black cats caused problems with no prompting what so ever from the cats.

A ton of people still think that, and also a ton of people think siamese cats are "mean" because of the evil racist siamese cats in the lovely disney dog movie.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Roland Jones posted:

Also dangerous levels of radiation probably aren't common enough for people to encounter them with the cats present very often, let alone enough to create folklore for it. It seems very situational.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vib Rib posted:

Also dangerous levels of radiation probably aren't common enough for people to encounter them with the cats present very often, let alone enough to create folklore for it. It seems very situational.

The idea is to somehow make an artificial folklore, but how that would take hold and last that long, I have no idea. I don't think they got as far as planning how to do it before they realized it likely wouldn't work anyway.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Why don’t we just nuke nuclear waste

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Did Ramirez attempt a Kendrick Lamar caricature, give up, and draw Generic Scary Black Man instead?

I thought it was Captain Jack Sparrow, myself.

D.N. Nation posted:

Friendly reminder that this is what Erin Andrews looks like

Two Pulitzers, etc.

No, in Pramirez's cartoon, it's clearly Gerald in drag.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Trapezium Dave posted:

For a bunch of gung-ho drill-happy lizardwomen they sure care about head safety.

LOSHA is serious business, and enthusiasm is no excuse for laxity in employee safety.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Maybe by the time all modern forms of communication are dead radiation will be an easily detected and cleaned nuisance? Like, technology will just get to the point when you can hose it down with nanobots or something.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
If you want to keep future generations out of something just cover it with pictograms of guys' weiners falling off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I don't remember why you were on my ignore list but it is forgiven, Friend.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Roland Jones posted:

This is an actual problem that people have been trying to solve, how to make a warning for the places nuclear waste is stored that will be understandable not just now or centuries in the future, but millennia, for whatever future cultures or people may find them, how to make it absolutely clear that there is nothing good there, the warnings aren't just for show or to deter people from finding the treasure there or whatever, that if they are opened it will kill whoever finds it and possibly contaminate the entire area. It is, among other things, what gave us that "This is not a place of honor" line you see here from time to time; it's part of a longer warning and explanation of what exactly is buried in those places.

Obviously, the answer is a giant Mr. Yuk face.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It is kind of amusing to me that the same culture that just now resulted in me seeing a banner ad where a jacked Sonic the Hedgehog asks me if I'm a soyboy is also the one figuring out how best to leave creepy cryptic warnings on the hidden vaults containing our deadly cursed artifacts in order to deter plucky adventurers eons in the future

we're the prideful ancients, it was us all along

e: also, "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

loquacius posted:

It is kind of amusing to me that the same culture that just now resulted in me seeing a banner ad where a jacked Sonic the Hedgehog asks me if I'm a soyboy is also the one figuring out how best to leave creepy cryptic warnings on the hidden vaults containing our deadly cursed artifacts in order to deter plucky adventurers eons in the future

we're the prideful ancients, it was us all along

e: also, "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Ah, that was just too perfect for me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You could have murals. First room shows people find the radioactive poo poo. Second room shows people bringing the radioactive poo poo back to their city. Third room shows everyone being sick in the city. Fourth room shows the ruins of the city full of skeletons.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Katt posted:

Same here. People anti nuke never seem to accept that the chunk of power not being generated by nuclear then gets caught up by coal and oil.

There's also something the 99 Percent Invisible podcast addresses that the accompanying article only touches on: heavy metal pollutants remain poisonous literally forever, and persistent organic pollutants (like dioxins and PCBs) effectively forever, but we don't have a problem dumping them on existing communities.

The eternal waste dump warning was a fun exercise, but there are existing problems in the same category (dangerous waste disposal) that are more severe and more urgent that it's really pretty indulgent to worry about people 10,000 years from now. Hell, we still haven't properly disposed of the waste they were brainstorming warnings for.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

You could have murals. First room shows people find the radioactive poo poo. Second room shows people bringing the radioactive poo poo back to their city. Third room shows everyone being sick in the city. Fourth room shows the ruins of the city full of skeletons.

Loss.cave

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat Mattress posted:

Take me down to the Skeleton City
Where the grass is dead
And the girls are spoopy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Why don’t we just nuke nuclear waste

Fire it into the sun.

artsy fartsy posted:

If you want to keep future generations out of something just cover it with pictograms of guys' weiners falling off.

But...But...the future is female!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why to this day we have never excavated a Mayan temple.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cat Mattress posted:

"They must have wanted to keep people out really bad! Whatever's inside must be GREAT! GET DIGGING!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Abyssal Squid posted:

There's also something the 99 Percent Invisible podcast addresses that the accompanying article only touches on: heavy metal pollutants remain poisonous literally forever, and persistent organic pollutants (like dioxins and PCBs) effectively forever, but we don't have a problem dumping them on existing communities.

The eternal waste dump warning was a fun exercise, but there are existing problems in the same category (dangerous waste disposal) that are more severe and more urgent that it's really pretty indulgent to worry about people 10,000 years from now. Hell, we still haven't properly disposed of the waste they were brainstorming warnings for.

Yeah I'm with this one. Maybe instead of worrying about tribal peoples 10,000 years in the future we try to make humanity resilient enough that we don't need to worry about re-explaining radiation to everyone.