Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Xander77 posted:

Yes, it simplifies a complex topic and take a stance based on that simplification - but it communicates its point via a simple, striking, and memorable image, the text being secondary (though it does help the picture).

Come on. I like Krieder as much as the next smug leftist and it's a funny cartoon, but it's hardly a scholarly allusion to St. Augustine's views of science vs. faith; more on the level of an r/atheism "if religion so good, why no rockets :chord:" post.

Even Herblock did plenty of the "American Everyman reacting to A Thing Happened" mode of cartoon. You're going to have quite an uphill battle arguing that political cartoons fell from some elevated state when there was plenty of this all throughout their history:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Nancy Pelosi called Trump’s tax cuts for workers “crumbs”. Thousand dollar crumbs, but still crumbs.

No doubt the House Minority Leader from San Francisco does have thousand dollar crumbs on her plate.

By her lights those crumbs are a “little piece of cheese in a mouse trap” for the little people who elect her to do what she does.

I don’t think she gets why her party has crumbled.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Did Ramirez attempt a Kendrick Lamar caricature, give up, and draw Generic Scary Black Man instead?

The only other black man who gave a televised acceptance speech was Dave Chappelle.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Did Ramirez attempt a Kendrick Lamar caricature, give up, and draw Generic Scary Black Man instead?

I'm leaning toward yes, but as always with Ramirez his atrocious mutant art makes it impossible to say.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE Ramirez, "generic scary black man", and the NFL postseason, remember when he reacted to Richard Sherman saying a thing on camera with this gem

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's honestly hard to explain just how terrible the Ramirez caricature of Obama is.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tibalt posted:

It's honestly hard to explain just how terrible the Ramirez caricature of Obama is.

Its like the drawing version of a small child trying to explain why hes crying.

and..and... and... his ears are big...and... and.. his head is is a coke can...

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Congratulations, Muammar Gadaffi.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Don't be silly.

He went right for the Generic Scary Black Man.

He probably drew it weeks in advance.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Badly drawn continents are my own personal wrong weathervanes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sick burn, you racist gently caress.

You really got 'em with that one.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

RE Ramirez, "generic scary black man", and the NFL postseason, remember when he reacted to Richard Sherman saying a thing on camera with this gem

Friendly reminder that this is what Erin Andrews looks like

Two Pulitzers, etc.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"I don't dispute the tax cuts are a trap, but otoh Pelosi hates her base or something???"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm leaning toward yes, but as always with Ramirez his atrocious mutant art makes it impossible to say.

It's the same defense some in Trump World are using: "We're too incompetent to collude with Russia."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

if lizardwomen could evolve in less than 2000 years the radiation topside is already hosed so go hog wild

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Zelda/It Hurts crossover you never expected.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

For a bunch of gung-ho drill-happy lizardwomen they sure care about head safety.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

T-man posted:

The Zelda/It Hurts crossover you never expected.
that is totally Trisssh what the hell

also this place is not a place of honor etc

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is an actual problem that people have been trying to solve, how to make a warning for the places nuclear waste is stored that will be understandable not just now or centuries in the future, but millennia, for whatever future cultures or people may find them, how to make it absolutely clear that there is nothing good there, the warnings aren't just for show or to deter people from finding the treasure there or whatever, that if they are opened it will kill whoever finds it and possibly contaminate the entire area. It is, among other things, what gave us that "This is not a place of honor" line you see here from time to time; it's part of a longer warning and explanation of what exactly is buried in those places.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

that is totally Trisssh what the hell

also this place is not a place of honor etc

Roland Jones posted:

This is an actual problem that people have been trying to solve, how to make a warning for the places nuclear waste is stored that will be understandable not just now or centuries in the future, but millennia, for whatever future cultures or people may find them, how to make it absolutely clear that there is nothing good there, the warnings aren't just for show or to deter people from finding the treasure there or whatever, that if they are opened it will kill whoever finds it and possibly contaminate the entire area. It is, among other things, what gave us that "This is not a place of honor" line you see here from time to time; it's part of a longer warning and explanation of what exactly is buried in those places.

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture. This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger. The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us. The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours. The danger is to the body, and it can kill. The form of the danger is an emanation of energy. The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

https://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Who the gently caress cares what happens in 4014/

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

It looks like the containment's failing, judging by the green liquid creeping out. They're already exposed. :ohdear:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also we can still read plenty of poo poo from year 14. Id imagine record keeping will be better the next 2000 years.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

No you cant say the n-word you loving duck.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Go die in a car fire.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

But enough about Trump's speech.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s always about words with them. Not ideas, just words.

I still remember a NYPD blue episode about that from like 1993. It’s like we haven’t learned poo poo since then.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That's totally Keith Richards

Despera posted:

Also we can still read plenty of poo poo from year 14. Id imagine record keeping will be better the next 2000 years.

I think the idea of the markings on the waste storage that can be understood regardless of what happens.

So in 4000 years when a super volcano has wiped out 95% of the worlds population and the remainder has built society back up from scratch. When 1850 style industrialists are working on a mine and encounter our nuclear waste. They may get the idea.

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 31, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Kys you drunkard

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s always about words with them. Not ideas, just words.

I still remember a NYPD blue episode about that from like 1993. It’s like we haven’t learned poo poo since then.

Hell, George Carlin got famous making this argument in the 70’s.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Roland Jones posted:

The closest any historical culture has come to dealing with the same problem is warning people not to bust into Pharaohs' tombs and steal their poo poo, and that didn't work even a little bit. Basically every Egyptian tomb had been picked clean of valuables for centuries by the time European archaeologists found them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The closest any historical culture has come to dealing with the same problem is warning people not to bust into Pharaohs' tombs and steal their poo poo, and that didn't work even a little bit. Basically every Egyptian tomb had been picked clean of valuables for centuries by the time European archaeologists found them.

They were also literally filled with valuables and everyone knew that beforehand.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At some point you just have to say you did your best to warn our descendants in the far-flung future, and if they're stupid enough to not understand the warnings then they deserve to glow in the dark.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The freshest news on a 2 week delay.

Oh and go gently caress yourself Tinsley.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I remember one of the proposals to keep people out of nuclear storage was to line the walls with really long spikes. Not to hurt them but because someone thought long rows of spikes was the best way to communicate "STAY AWAY".

It seems like an unsolvable problem though, cause there's always gonna be people that look at a ton of warnings and think its just a trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should just make the place containing the waste really, really smelly.